The King and I (closed)

“A tulip?” She asked, looking at him as she shook her head no. “I don’t think that you’ve ever given me flowers before.”

Charlie returned his grin, leaning against the table herself as they were separated by only a few inches.
 
"Oh?"

He frowned,

"I did give you the rose last night, the bouquet at the banquet and at our graduation you did wear that red rose rather strikingly..."

He knew her attention would be focused on remembering and he captured her lips with his own, their new positions making it easier for the kiss to last longer and longer it lasted indeed. When they finally parted, he smiled at her,

"And now you have received tulips."

He chuckled and leaned back into his seat.
 
Charlotte blushed as he reminded her of the rose from last night, the very one still pinned in her hair. She parted her lips to speak as he reminded her about the rose that he gave her at their graduation and she struggled to remember the moment.

It was then that he struck, his lips capturing hers in the most wonderful way. She whimpered as he controlled the kiss, the moment lasting for what seemed like forever before he parted and smiled at her. Her cheeks grew a deeper crimson in color as he finished his cheesy joke, leaning back in his seat with a pleased chuckle.

“You best get it out of your system, because once we land, no more kissing me.” She said, her stomach clenching in a strange way as she leaned back in her own seat.
 
He grinned at her,

"That's what you think, I kind of like the way the new duchess kisses, I think that I will find a way."

He waggled his eyebrows,

"I wasn't known in school for just my good grades you know, who do you think invented the slip away kiss just before break?"
 
Charlotte laughed as he talked about their school days. Truth be told, he was an amazing student, at the top of their class. He’d helped her more times then she could count, especially in calculus.

“I just have one question for you, my lord.” She said, trying so hard to keep the smile from her face and failing miserably. “Do I get a crown?”
 
He grinned at her,

"Oh I am quite certain that ther will be a crown made out of crepe paper somewhere in the palace, it even has shiny little stars on the brow."

He smiled,

"And why anybody would want to wear that dreadfully heavy things I do not know."
 
“Cause every girl dreams of being a princess.” She said, her eyes wide with mock shock that he would never have thought about that. “Complete with the fancy dresses and the big crown.”

“In fact, I think it would do you some good to organize a children’s day where you connected with the youngest members of your land. Invite them to the palace for games and ice cream. They would have a ball.”

Charlie had always loved children and her new position with the court meant that she couldn’t spend as much time with local volunteer groups as she once had. In fact, the way her current schedule ran, she didn’t think that she would ever have a child of her own either.
 
"Games and ice cream?"

He gave her a look,

"Sounds like somthing to host during the summer."

He looked out of the window for a while, to him it sounded like a good idea, in his memory nobody have ever held something like that, it would be good for the populace and good for him.

"Set a date for the event Charlie."
 
“Set the date, Charlie. Schedule this, Charlie.” She mimicked, giving him a smile as she typed in a few notes on her laptop. “You would think it’s my job to take care of you.”

“Get some sleep, Dave. You have a long day ahead of you.” She suggested, glancing at him as he looked out the window for a long moment. “And don’t worry. Everything will work out for the better.”
 
"Sleep? While it's still light?"

He gave her an incredulous look,

"You know me better than that."

He glanced at his watch and gave her a grin,

"Only three more minutes and I'll take a cushion and a blanket and a goodnight kiss, then I will pull down the blind and sleep. Will that work for you?"

He used the best little boy voice he could muster and of course little devils danced in the back of his eyes.
 
“If you act like a little boy, I’ll treat you like a little boy.” Charlotte warned with a grin as she turned and motioned to the stewardess to bring a blanket and a pillow. “Will that suffice, your highness?”

Charlie couldn’t help the giggles that burst from her lips at the look that he was giving her. She loved her dear friend more than any other person in the world, and it was becoming very real that she might be with him not as a friend any longer, but as his wife and lover. The very thought had her heart hammering in her chest and a blush covering her cheeks.
 
He nodded,

"Oh it will work just perfectly, I will just want to get tucked in though."

He chuckled and took the pillow and blanket from the stewardess, placing the pillow behind his head, slipping off his jacket, placing it on the table between him and Charlotte, he pulled down the blind and kicked off his shoes to settle across the two seats, throwing the blanket over his legs, he relaxed, closing his eyes
 
Charlotte watched as he settled in for some sleep and she smiled. He had been having a hard time, that she knew, and any moment that he could relax was hard fought. As his eyes closed, she stood from her seat and leaned forward to kiss his forehead, tucking the blanket around his chin with a smile.

“Sleep tight, my prince.” She whispered to him as she moved towards the galley to get a cup of coffee and a newspaper to read up on the current events.
 
The voice of the captain roused him, he groaned and almost rolled over, but luckily remembered where he was. He sat up, swung his feet from the seat and settled back into the seat, hiding a yawn behind a hand before opening his eyes. He grumbled a little as he bent to pull on his shoes, folding the blanket and placing it next to to him, he ran a hand over his eyes and looked at Charlotte,

"Shouldn't have let me sleep so long, now I'm lazy."

He smiled, placed the cushion on the blanket and fastened the seat's belt.
 
“Hmmmm….” Charlie said in response, bringing her cup of coffee to her lips as the plane started its descent. “Looks to me like you needed it.”

She glanced from her paper to Dave and gave him a smile. “Besides, there’s something sexy about a man who’s hair is all tousled from sleep.”
 
He grimaced,

"You're going to make me blush and of course rush to the bathroom as soon as I can to check up on my hair."

Instinctively he brushed over his hair
 
Charlie laughed softly, looking at her best friend as he brushed a hand through his hair. Did he not know how handsome he was? It didn’t matter if his hair was mussed, the man was absolutely breathtaking.

“Dave, you look fine.” She said in all honesty as the plane bumped twice and smoothed out as it landed. While the plane taxied, Charlie moved to pack up her things, making sure that everything was back in the bag for the porters to take to her room.

As soon as the all clear was given, she stood and helped Dave back into his jacket, smoothing out his hair so he wouldn’t worry. Straightening his tie just so, she looked up into his eyes and gave him a smile.

“You’re still the most handsome man I’ve ever met in my life.” She said softly, reaching behind her head to pull out the rose she’d pinned there this morning, the very one that he’d give to her the night before. Pinning it to his lapel, she smoothed the fabric over his chest and took a step back to survey her handy work.
 
He arched an eyebrow at her and rested his hand between the two buttons of his jacket, curling his fingers into the jacket, his thumb resting on the top button.

"A rose? This size? I'm going to look like the Ice Prince."

He winked and gave her a grin, then he headed to the door after his security had secured the area. Stepping outside he smiled easily as a cheer went up, he raised his hand to accept the honor and walked down the steps to where the royal family stood ready to meet him.
 
Charlie watched as he walked out of the plane to the cheering of a large crowd and she smiled as he waved back at them. Still, she couldn’t help the painful feeling in her chest as she thought about why he was there. What if the princess captured his heart? Where would that leave her in the scheme of things?

Shaking her head, she moved to help the porter gather the things to be taken to the palace. She would leave Dave to make his own decisions…she just had to hope that they were the right ones.


King Aaron and his wife, the Queen Julia, stood at the bottom of the stairs, greeting Dave warmly as he stepped off the plane. “Welcome, my boy!” Aaron exclaimed, shaking his hand as Julia hugged him tightly.

“Donovan, might I introduce my daughter, the Princess Elisabeth.” Julia said in her soft voice, motioning for the raven haired beauty to come forward.

She’d done a lot of growing since the last time she’d seen Dave and she smiled at him from beneath a pair of piercing eyes. She remembered this handsome man, the one that had played with her in the palace while their fathers talked of business.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you again, Donovan.” Elisabeth said, taking his hand and curtseying as she’d been taught, a wide smile on her face.


Elisabeth: http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumb...k,hair-5d68f8936f9d588ae6c1a4da36b29449_m.jpg
 
He was glad for the warm greeting, of course the princess was beautiful and he could instantly see which of his subjects would have liked her. He bowed over her hand and gave her knuckles a soft kiss,

"Your highness, it is a pleasure indeed."

He got introduced to the other two daughters, each one he greeted in the same manner. Making sure that his likes and dislikes remained hidden, soon he had met most of the staff and had posed for a few photos, finally they were underway to the palace, Charlotte seated next to him as they drove.
 
Charlotte remained quiet as the car drove towards the palace, her eyes drawn to the beautiful scenery around them. It was warmer here, even in the dead of winter. Plants grew lush and green along the road and she sighed softly, thinking that this would be a beautiful place to live.

Feeling fingers curl around her hand, she glanced towards Dave and smile softly. “Well, the Princess is very beautiful. I’m sure once you have some time to talk to her in private you’ll find that she’s very intelligent as well.”

Studying his face for a moment, she tried to see if he would give her any hint as to what he felt towards Elisabeth. Would it be love? Would it mean the end of her? She knew that she had promised not to be jealous as he did his duty, but the insecurity was driving her crazy.
 
He smiled as he glanced at her, not allowing the driver anything to talk about, his voice carried only to her clearly,

"I find it hard to take her seriously. Chasing after squirrels, catching fish in the royal pond with no cast or net, rolling around in the mud in fake battles?"

He gave her a smirk,

"Very hard."
 
“Dave, that was years ago and you know it.” She said, watching him as he smirked at her with that cocky grin of his. “And if you remember, I did those same things with you. Do you find it hard to take me seriously?”
 
He chuckled softly and gave her hand a squeeze,

"If you want to start comparing, she doesn't have your spunk and humor. Those are not things you grow into."

He winked at her and then turned his attention to the outside, his hand still holding her own.
 
Charlotte laughed at his statement, taking a moment to slug his shoulder playfully. She could see the driver watching them closely, his eyebrows raised up high that she would dare strike a royal.

“You are so much trouble, your highness.” She said as the car continued along the winding road to the palace.

The palace was a beautiful stone structure, built out of native red stones many centuries ago. She had always thought that the palace of her homeland was a beautiful building, but it paled in comparison to this lovely little paradise.
 
Back
Top