The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive my ignorance, but "white corn" ?
Is this some special species ?

HP, remember that on this side of the pond 'corn' refers specifically to maize and what you call corn we refer to as 'wheat' or 'grain' generally.

So, white corn . . . despite the development in the last twenty-five or so years of supersweet hybrid yellow corn varieties, the tradition that white kernel sweet corn has the best of all flavors remains in tact. Like Amy, I only grow the white. While it has the drawback of taking nearly a month longer to ripen than the hybrid supersweets, the ears are larger and it has flavor beyond mere sweetness. Picked directly from the stalk, shooked and dropped immediately in boiling water, white corn has no competition at the table. It's just that good.

HP, remember that on this side of the pond 'corn' refers specifically to maize and what you call corn we refer to as 'wheat' or 'grain' generally.

So, white corn . . . despite the development in the last twenty-five or so years of supersweet hybrid yellow corn varieties, the tradition that white kernel sweet corn has the best of all flavors remains in tact. Like Amy, I only grow the white. While it has the drawback of taking nearly a month longer to ripen than the hybrid supersweets, the ears are larger and it has flavor beyond mere sweetness. Picked directly from the stalk, shooked and dropped immediately in boiling water, white corn has no competition at the table. It's just that good.

Cut off the cob, sauteed in butter, it's especially tasty with fresh, ripe tomatoes diced and added at the end of cooking time. You eat it until you feel sick on it.

Cut off the cob, sauteed in butter, it's especially tasty with fresh, ripe tomatoes diced and added at the end of cooking time. You eat it until you feel sick on it.

Thanks for the answers.
Having now looked at a picture of it, I understand. We still call it "corn on the cob" (from the shops) or "sweet corn" (generally this is in tins).
We grow it locally, too!

PS. My consultant says I can now drink my Port wine.
Anyone care to join me ?

Did I just read somewhere that it's the Bear's birthday today?????

If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VM! You ROCK! :D

Yesterday, actually, but thanx Amy. :kiss: We had frog legs Provencal, crepes with reduction sauce, peas and rhubarb crepes with whipped cream for dessert. YUM!.

Yesterday, actually, but thanx Amy. :kiss: We had frog legs Provencal, crepes with reduction sauce, peas and rhubarb crepes with whipped cream for dessert. YUM!.

Did you get the frog amputees little alternate wheelchairs like in the other thread at least? :D

A reduction sauce is a flour free gravy. After you've sauteed something, you add a half cup of 'liquid of your choice' (wine, broth, beer, etc.) and whisk it into the pan scrapings. Let it boil down to a quarter cup then add a quarter cup butter to thicken. Correct the seasoning and pour over whatever.

Dry sherry works especially well.

A reduction sauce is a flour free gravy. After you've sauteed something, you add a half cup of 'liquid of your choice' (wine, broth, beer, etc.) and whisk it into the pan scrapings. Let it boil down to a quarter cup then add a quarter cup butter to thicken. Correct the seasoning and pour over whatever.

Dry sherry works especially well.

Sounds good !

what's the opposite of "reduction" ?

heavy cream, butter, and all that ?.

LOL! The 'reduction' is the boiling off of half the liquid. You also cook down the cream so that the final sauce has less volume than the ingredients you put into it. It's the sauce that's reduced, not you! :D

LOL! The 'reduction' is the boiling off of half the liquid. You also cook down the cream so that the final sauce has less volume than the ingredients you put into it. It's the sauce that's reduced, not you! :D

OH dear.
Care for a glass of something, Bear ?

Having just completed the most physically challenging and larger portion of my watering system, yes! A cold lager would go down well, a full liter.

imagesqtbnANd9GcTlKpr7Kq3oZpsZsd2sC3Ug3a3Ng_ABHY0Gt9rLq3Wqec_0CV3jBQ.jpg

It was delicious, hon. The major family gathering will be at Easter and combine both celebrations. Then we're off to Amsterdam where today . . . it's snowing! However, I look forward to visiting a land where the cheeses are famous and they serve beer in liter mugs.

I missed it! Blasted manuscript.

Here's hoping it was a fabulous birthday, Walter.

It was delicious, hon. The major family gathering will be at Easter and combine both celebrations. Then we're off to Amsterdam where today . . . it's snowing! However, I look forward to visiting a land where the cheeses are famous and they serve beer in liter mugs.

Yeah, it was a splendid birthday if you get into little, green amputees! :eek:

:D

Sounds wonderful.

We're going to do our usual this Easter weekend. We're going to shoot stuff.

Yeah, it was a splendid birthday if you get into little, green amputees! :eek:

:D

Blech! :p

Sounds wonderful.

We're going to do our usual this Easter weekend. We're going to shoot stuff.

See? That's the benefit of semi-rural living. If we wanted to shoot stuff it would have to be either indoors with pistol or half way across the Basin for trap and skeet. And I don't even want to talk about big bore rifle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back