Western Trails (closed)

"I'll have to come up with ways for you to repay me then." Penny said, giving him a grin. "But I don't mind. I would wait a lifetime for you."
 
He chuckled, "You will be surprised at the ways I can repay debts."

He drew one of his revolvers, he opened the cylinder and ejected the rounds.

"I once promised to teach you to shoot and clean pistols. Take it and feel the weight."
 
"I only just woke up from being ill and you're going to teach me how to use a gun?" Penny asked as he handed her the pistol and let her feel the weight of the weapon. "If I didn't think you were crazy by now, I definitely believe it now, John."
 
"Oh we have far to go before you use anything. But even the longest road needs a first step."

While she held it, he opened the cylinder chamber again and started loading it.

"You feel how much the weight changes?"

He pushed it close and let her hold it for a moment, then he took the revolver from her and dropped it back into it's holster.

"And there is your lesson for today."

He smiled and gave her shoulder a playful nudge.

"Still crazy?"
 
"Always crazy." She said as he made her feel the weight change between an unloaded and loaded gun before he put it back in the holster. "There will never be a day where I don't think that you're not crazy. It's just something you'll have to learn to live with."
 
He chuckled

"Fair enough."

He eased from his seated position and started getting a kettle on the fire with fresh water.

"And since we don't have a river or any substantial water source nearby, you will just have to basin bath and since I don't carry a basin around, it will have to be a pot."
 
"Your good news just keeps getting better and better." Penny said sarcastically as he put a kettle over the fire to boil some water. "I'm not sure that I can take much more spoiling."
 
He chuckled and leaned down to kiss her on the forehead, "Even your sarcasm can be cute."

He went about setting out bathing utensils and checked on the horses. It had become slightly overcast again and he could smell more rain. He returned to the cave and knelt next to her, "Let's see that shoulder."
 
"It feels alright. Hasn't ached in a while, but then I wouldn't have noticed if it did." Penny said as she sat up and allowed him to peel back her dress, looking over the healing wound that she had acquired along the way.
 
He nodded as he inspected her shoulder, "Looks good to me."

He chuckled, "Well your first day you meet me and you get shot. Not a good start, but seems like it turned out alright so far."
 
"And look at what all has happened since then." Penny said with a small smile as he gave her shoulder a quick look over. "I guess it's all for the best. I wouldn't have met you otherwise. That's worth it, right?"
 
John smiled at Penny

"If you think getting shot is a good thing, then who am I to disagree?"

He winked at her and leaned forward to plant a gentle kiss on the healing wound.

"I have to go pick a few herbs and gather some roots. You wash up and then we can discuss you getting strong enough to ride again."

He got to his feet and gathered up the waterskins
 
"Us staying here long term isn't really an option. Me getting back in the saddle will probably happen sooner rather than later." Penny commented as he stood to continue on with his chores.
 
He gave her a smile, then ducked out. It took him some time to gather the herbs he needed, after filling the water skins, he headed back towards the cave. The two horses grazed peacefully and that set him at ease. They weren't in any particularly dangerous area, but one could never be too sure. He silently entered the cave and paused at the entrance, watching Penny. As he watched her a small smile came to his lips, so this is how men felt which were in love.
 
Penny got dressed once again as John went about his own business. She was stubborn enough that she was soon on her feet, trying to make herself useful. She refused to let him try and take care of everything on his own. She was feeling better and would take it one step at a time. As soon as she got up on her feet, she would be in the saddle, and they would be on their way.
 
"Don't overtax yourself."

He walked into the small cave and settled his bounty down along with the water.

"Although I do get the feeling, you don't want to sit or lie around with somebody else doing all the work. But you also have to remember that you are recovering from a fever and your body is not quite up to what one would call healthy."

He held out a few berries for her

"You seemed to like these."
 
“I’ve never been one to simply sit around. Even before I married Seth, there was always work to do on the family farm. I suppose it’ll be much the same way when we make it to my brother’s house.” Penny commented as he offered her more of the berries that he had picked. “Nor am I use to someone taking care of me.”
 
He chuckled

"Well, you are indeed now not in the grip of a mad man anymore and you are free to choose your own way. If a man does not give in kind what you give to him, then he does not deserve your attention."

He moved to the fire, added a few pieces of wood and put on the pot, "Going to brew you another drink. It will help to get the last of that illness out of your system and then we can feed you until you are ready for the saddle again."
 
"And what if I want to choose you?" Penny asked, looking across the fire to John as he started to brew her another round of the terrible medicine. "Can a man who made his living wandering in the west settle down with a woman like me?"
 
He paused and looked up at her, he sat back on his heels and thought about her questions.

"A man like me wander around because he have a vendetta, because people want to make a name for themselves and kill John Muerte. I will settle down on a piece of land, raise horses like Sudden and live in peace."

He gave her a grin, "If hard work and suffering sounds like a good idea, you are more than welcome to pick me and settle down out in the wild where the mustangs run."
 
"I don't see the suffering. There's a good living to be made if you're willing to work for it." Penny said with a smile towards John as he told her that he wasn't against the idea of settling down with her.
 
He chuckled

"Well yes, there is a good, honest living to be made. I have enough experience to make it work and I have enough money in a bank to start on a relative sensible stretch of land. It is not impossible."
 
"You have money? I didn't think you had a penny to your name." Penny said as he mentioned that he had enough to start a little life with her if they wished. "We don't need much, trust me. It'll be hard work, but it's a task that I'm ready for."
 
He patted his pockets and grinned, "Well I don't have a dime on me now, what I possess right now with the most value is my rifle and revolvers. But I did do a bit of prospecting during one of my travels and actually saved that money for the future. We will just have to get to Dodge City at some stage, the money is there for safe keeping."

He stirred the pot and added a few more leaves to it, adding a few berries, he took it from the fire and placed it on a flat rock to cool.
 
"Dodge City isn't that far away from where we're going. A few days ride. It wouldn't be a difficult trip...if we're both 100%." Penny said as she watched John work. "You could always go into something to do with herbal medicines. I've never seen someone so confident around plants as you."
 
Back
Top