The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Holidays 2017 Support Thread

I haven't completely given up, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to manage to get it done for this year or not. The concept seemed so simple when I dreamed it up. The execution may be beyond me. Still trying to find the fire to do anything, much less write.

But, hey! Still, what, two weeks to go? Plenty of time for the rest of you to get some tinseled tassels twirling for our twisted titillation.

Oops! I've just finished and submitted another entry. This one was started in 2013. I had written three-quarters of it. I knew what the ending would be. All I had to do was write it. In three hours I just have. This one is in the Mature category. It ought to do better than the Fetish one that I expect to get bombed.

That's it for today. But there are more in my folder for 'Christmas' that need finishing. Maybe three entries from Og and one from jeanne_d_artois is enough? Blame NaNoWriMo if I finish more.

I finally cleared the decks by finishing a chapter of SOTM and a couple of shorts, so I'm ready to start on the idea I have for this one.

*Checks submission dates* Normally, it would be no chance in hell. Fortunately, I'm on vacation next week.

I think, with three stories as me and one as jeanne, that I have done enough for the Winter Holidays contest.

But NaNoWriMo is still running. If I'm going to reach the target of 50,000 words I need to write more. Do I finish the three more Winter Holiday stories? Or start writing for Valentine's Day?

Just over a fortnight until the closing date for submissions.

Any more being written?

How many more people read a story in a contest compared to a regular one you post? Do you find an increase in followers come from these stories more then a standard one you post?

Thanks

Depending upon how popular you are, and how lucky you are in the case of new list placement for regular stories, and the placement of the contest story on the new list, the percentage of extra reads varies.

Without actually looking up my numbers in my ( now severely outdated ) spreadsheet, I'd say it's safe to assume you're going to see at least a 25% increase over your average viewership for the same category and type of story.

If you get caught in a pack of many contest stories releasing on the same day, that can drag the percentage down. Instead of being only one of a few, and thus right near or at the #1 position of the list, you'll be one of the group, possibly farther down.

The normal factors that can bump a story up or drag it down also apply. Early H. Score. Catchy title/description line.

Followers will probably be a little higher than your average for the same category and type of story due to the extra eyeballs.

How many more people read a story in a contest compared to a regular one you post? Do you find an increase in followers come from these stories more then a standard one you post?

Thanks

Thanks

In recent years I think the difference is massive. One of my stories posted outside a contest can disappear almost without trace, never getting close to ten votes before it drops off the new list.

The contest stories I post in a less viewed category still get four or five times the views in the first 24 hours than a non contest story.

BUT - there is an effect on my older stories too. During contests I get comments on older stories, favorites on some of them, and I get favorited as an author. I can't say how many more views and votes I (and jeanne) get on older stories. With over 300 submissions I can't keep up with changes of views and votes on all of them.

It also depends on the contest. Winter Holidays, Valentine and Halloween have more impact than the others.

Thank you both for the feedback. I know I don’t have any chance to win these contests but I may put something in for Valentines Day if it gets extra attention!

Good luck with your stories!

I think, with three stories as me and one as jeanne, that I have done enough for the Winter Holidays contest.

My favourite was your first - Midnight Mince Pies.

Just over a fortnight until the closing date for submissions.

Any more being written?

41 entries so far by ~32 writers.

I'm thinking about entering another - the female voyeur thing has given me a nice little bunny. Gonna see if it's a shorty or a novel first though.

Still sad to see most everyones' stories getting dogged because of this contest, but I am glad that there are many more people reading my stories. I've gained several more followers over the days since I submitted my material for this contest. I guess you have to take the bad with the good.

In recent years I think the difference is massive. One of my stories posted outside a contest can disappear almost without trace, never getting close to ten votes before it drops off the new list.

The contest stories I post in a less viewed category still get four or five times the views in the first 24 hours than a non contest story.

BUT - there is an effect on my older stories too. During contests I get comments on older stories, favorites on some of them, and I get favorited as an author. I can't say how many more views and votes I (and jeanne) get on older stories. With over 300 submissions I can't keep up with changes of views and votes on all of them.

It also depends on the contest. Winter Holidays, Valentine and Halloween have more impact than the others.

My sense, from limited experience, is that this is correct. My very first Literotica story was submitted for the Winter Holiday contest last year, on the last day to submit stories. It's my least favorite of my stories, and its score was nothing to get excited about, but it got a fair amount of traffic for two weeks, especially for its category (Erotic Coupling). Since then it's received fewer views than any other story I've written, by a lot, so I infer from its performance that the contest had a big impact on total views for a little while, but no impact once the contest was over.

Still sad to see most everyones' stories getting dogged because of this contest, but I am glad that there are many more people reading my stories. I've gained several more followers over the days since I submitted my material for this contest. I guess you have to take the bad with the good.

Contest stories get more attention, more views, more votes and more comments. But not all of that attention is welcome. Anonymous loves to spew bile on contest stories.

Competitions for a virgin

This is my first entry into a Literotica contest. And that was only because when I tried to submit it a month or so ago, the moderator rejected it and suggested I delay entry until November, especially for this winter contest. Then, of course, I nearly forgot about it as I was totally engrossed in NaNoWriMo. Then I have got engaged in reading some of the other stories, to the detriment of my own writing wordage. I might just have to stop reading for the next 8 days and go through the entries again after 1st December! And just realised this is my first forum post. Hell, a double virginity lost in a matter of seconds. It was good for me, what about you?

Last edited:
This is my first entry into a Literotica contest. And that was only because when I tried to submit it a month or so ago, the moderator rejected it and suggested I delay entry until November, especially for this winter contest. Then, of course, I nearly forgot about it as I was totally engrossed in NaNoWriMo. Then I have got engaged in reading some of the other stories, to the detriment of my own writing wordage. I might just have to stop reading for the next 8 days and go through the entries again after 1st December! And just realised this is my first forum post. Hell, a double virginity lost in a matter of seconds. It was good for me, what about you?

Hey, I'm glad you liked it. Me, not so much. Don't take it personally.

We're still two weeks from the deadline, but it is a deadline. Just keep that in mind.

Well, I'm three thousand words in, and still potentially on track to finish. Whether that "finish" includes having time to do a full, normal edit remains to be determined.

If nothing else, it's Christmas themed. Even if I don't finish it in time for the contest, I've got a couple more weeks to release it seasonally.

Now, I need to get back to it. I had to pause because I had this brainstorm that needed to be written down, and I haven't the foggiest idea where it came from. LOL

I just wrote a 700 word outline for a Lamia story that's a potential start for a series, and will probably have the same easter-egg level crossover that I'm putting in between Magic of the Wood and The Fey Folk. Whatever twisted, tweaking on airplane glue part of my brain it came from, the moment I solved the "bottom half is a snake" logistics for sex, it just took off :p

I still haven't completely given up. Spent the day (Thanksgiving) holed up rewriting the opening gambit. We'll see if I have enough oomph to finish it out before the 12/7 deadline.

If I do, I don't see it doing as well since I figure I'll be knocked a few points just for bringing a Thanksgiving tale to the Christmas party, but what the hell. At least it's given me something to do besides sit around.

I still haven't completely given up. Spent the day (Thanksgiving) holed up rewriting the opening gambit. We'll see if I have enough oomph to finish it out before the 12/7 deadline.

If I do, I don't see it doing as well since I figure I'll be knocked a few points just for bringing a Thanksgiving tale to the Christmas party, but what the hell. At least it's given me something to do besides sit around.

I've had solid success with Thanksgiving stories in this contest. New Year's stories also seem to do well. It's not really a Christmas contest, even if a large number of the stories trend toward it.

I think I'm still on track to finish mine for the contests at almost 7k words now. That first sex scene turned out way longer than I expected. I've been writing a lot of short form lately ( 1k-3k words ) so I may be overcompensating for the condensed sex in those LOL

Just need to write an MMMMFF group sex scene and some wrap up ending. Could happen.

Just need to write an MMMMFF group sex scene and some wrap up ending. Could happen.

Sometimes, when the Muses present me with a good plot bunny, I have been able to complete a story from start to finish in a single day.

Some of those 1-day stories have been good. But they also produce many of my stinkers. What seems to be a good idea when writing should have been rejected if I'd taken or a day or so to think the story through.

Sometimes, when the Muses present me with a good plot bunny, I have been able to complete a story from start to finish in a single day.

Some of those 1-day stories have been good. But they also produce many of my stinkers. What seems to be a good idea when writing should have been rejected if I'd taken or a day or so to think the story through.

It's funny you should say that. You've just inspired me to flip my story around from a common-or-garden romance to something a little different.

Back