Along the Path Yet Revealed

It seemed that Althea was a little like him, lost in her thoughts too. She had done more than he had, worked great magics to help the River Spirit. She was probably pondering the great mysteries she wrought to make it possible. But when he called to her, she startled slightly. Thankfully, she came over without too much delay.

"Of course I can, at least, I can try..."

She stood, waiting patiently while he explained the simple task she had to do. It was easy for him to keep his eyes off her, even though he was wanting to look at her face. He wanted to get the armour done, so he could continue to break camp and get back to the village. But when he saw her hands reach tentatively for the strap and buckle, he looked up to give her some reassurance. He caught her shy smile as she started to work the two pieces together.

He felt the accidental touches of her fingertips against his ribs like they were lightning strikes. Sharp, hot, stinging strikes that sent jolts through his body that he somehow managed to keep from showing up. He pulled his eyes from her face, focusing on the ground, not trusting himself to look at her fingers for the greater fear of of reacting when he saw the touch occurring.

Soren felt the tugs, including those in his focus, helping to further push the thoughts of Althea from his mind. When he heard her cough, his head snapped up, looking at her with some concern.

“I, er, I hope that’s ok…never put a man’s armour on before… I mean, I hope we won’t run into a situation where you’ll need it but, better to be safe than sorry I suppose…”

He gazed down as Althea shifted her gaze up towards him. He was aware of her fingers lingering near the strap between the two pieces of hardened leather. He barely flinched as her hand glanced off his hip as it dropped. All he could think of in that moment was how good her lips looked, and just mow much he wanted to press his against them again. The light brush of her tongue to dampen them did not help his resolve to remain a gentleman any.

“I…I should probably check on breakfast… Got a long walk ahead of us and I’m sure we should try to set off sooner rather than later.”

"Yes, going sooner would be better. Definitely." Soren nodded, his own feet firmly rooted to the one spot, his hands still holding the breastplate together even though it was no longer needing that help.

Soren found himself starting to breath again when Althea finally managed to draw herself away from him. He turned his back on her, closed his eyes, silently berating himself over his lack of good manners. He made the final adjustments to his armour, then continued to pack up the tent.

“I’ll see if I can find us some berries to go with this.”

Before he could gather his thoughts enough to answer her, she had gone into the bushes around the camp site. Again, his eyes closed and he persistently drove all thoughts of Althea from his mind and just kept to the matters of importance. He had the tent down, and all stowed away by the time Althea had returned with the berries. Fortunately, that left little for them to pack away after eating, and they would be heading home to face a very concerned village, along with some rather concerned parents and other interested parties.

Soren accepted his porridge from Althea with a smile and he sat down and started eating. He found himself to be rather hungry, and ate his food quickly and without too much fuss or delay. Soren found himself glancing at Althea, mainly her eyes, and face. Whenever he looked at her, he found his thoughts returning to their kissing while in the tent. He longed to enjoy that again. To feel the brush of her soft, plump lips against his. Feel the warmth of them as he held her and tasted her mouth.

He finished eating, almost angry with himself for continuing with his foolish thoughts. Once he was done, he launched himself from his seat, and went and washed his bowl and utensils, and returned to packing away the last remaining items. He got his pack ready, and the final items that needed to be cleaned would be packed in Althea's.

With barely hidden impatience, Soren waited for Althea to finished her breakfast, then complete her packing. All the while, he was keeping his eyes off her as much as he politely could. When she shouldered her pack, he briskly headed for the path that would take them back to the village.

"I'm sure that everyone is worried sick over us, because we stayed out over night. I'm sure that you'll be able to convince everyone that your honour is still intact."

Soren kept in front, his pace was fast, but not too fast for Althea. All he desired was to get home and put the task behind him, and everything else associated with it as well.
 
The breakfast was quiet. The gentle ripples from the river in the background, the odd cry of a bird somewhere among the trees. Althea tried to keep her attention focused on her food, blowing on the steaming porridge to make it cool enough to eat. She could sense him looking at her, almost feel his gaze. It took a lot not to look up and gaze back. Wondering what she might see in his eyes. Mutual feelings or horror and regret at how they had behaved. She didn't think she could bear to see either and so she kept her eyes to herself.

Soren finished his in what felt like moments and he resumed the task of packing up the camp as quickly as possible. It was only then Althea realised how much he had already achieved before sitting down to eat, feeling a pang of guilt that she hadn't been much help. She finished her breakfast and drained the last of her tea before taking her things to the water to wash.

Soon, almost too soon, they were on their way. Him in front. Her behind. Packs emitting muted rattles and clangs as they walked.

"I'm sure that everyone is worried sick over us, because we stayed out over night. I'm sure that you'll be able to convince everyone that your honour is still intact."

"I would hope so..." She replied quietly, hitching her skirt slightly to step over some underbrush.

They walked onwards, both seemingly lost in their own thoughts. The trees steadily thinning as they neared the village. Althea could see smoke rising above the treeline ahead, smell bread baking from somewhere. They were almost there, almost home. That caused a sudden and painful ball of tension to build in Althea's stomach.

Drawing a quick breath she sped up and skirted around Soren, moving to stand in his path.
"I..." She started with absolutely no idea of what she was going to say or what effect it was going to have only knowing she had to say something and she had to say it now. The next bend in the path would bring them in view of the village and her chance would be gone. "I just wanted to say thank you. For helping me. I couldn't have gotten through this without you and I, well, I want you to know that I..." She wetted her lips as her eyes continued to look up into his face. "...well, I think I'm going to miss you."

She smiled, almost shyly.
"I don't doubt that you can't wait to get away from me and the task of having to babysit me out here in the woods but, Soren I...I just wanted you to know that what happened, in the tent...I won't tell a soul, I promise. I'm sure you won't either. But I want you to know that I don't regret it. Not at all." Her smile faltered as she pushed herself up onto her toes and went to kiss his cheek, lips grazing the corner of his as her aim missed slightly.

She wanted to kiss him properly, to drop her pack and wrap her arms around him to pull them as close as possible. She fought the urge and lowered herself back down to the flats of her feet from the kiss giving him another smile.

"Well, we should probably get going...lot of people wanting to see us and find out what...I mean how we did."

A slightly shaky breath was drawn between her lips before she forced herself to turn around and start to walk down the path, away from Soren and towards the village. Towards the real world and the reality that everything they'd shared was little more than a dream.
 
Every step brought Soren closer to the end of another ordeal involving Althea. This time, the problem was even worse than any of the others. She was seeing Jameth, yet they had kissed in a way that felt like Althea liked him, or maybe more than just liked him.Yet, when they first encountered each other for more than just passing in the village street, they fought each other, and Althea had nothing but harsh words to say about him. Words about things he couldn't understand not matter how he turned them about.

Then, coming out this time, the whole village thought he was going to dishonour her the moment he got her out of sight, forgetting about the fact that be brought home four women, Althea included, who were in varied states of undress and did nothing of the like.

But he was relieved to see signs of the village before the trees started to thin. It lifted his spirits even though he knew that the villagers first concerns were going to be for Althea and not for what was done while they were away. More specifically, the reason they were sent away, and what they did to bring about the success.

Soren was concentrating on what he was doing, where he was stepping and what kind of reception he was going to receive when he almost walked into Althea as she put herself in front of him.

"I... I just wanted to say thank you. For helping me. I couldn't have gotten through this without you and I, well, I want you to know that I... well, I think I'm going to miss you."

He looked at her, slightly startled by her words. He failed to notice now nervous she was as she spoke, as well as the ever so slight smile that graced her face during her pause.

"I don't doubt that you can't wait to get away from me and the task of having to babysit me out here in the woods but, Soren I...I just wanted you to know that what happened, in the tent...I won't tell a soul, I promise. I'm sure you won't either. But I want you to know that I don't regret it. Not at all."

'What? She didn't regret what happened in the tent? When we kissed? She really liked it when we kissed the way we did...? What is going on? First she hates me, then she's angry at me, then she's kissing me and now she's telling me she really liked it? All the while she's seeing Jameth and getting gifts from him and...'

He felt the press of her lips against the corner of his mouth which made his entire face warm up in an instant. He knew he was blushing hard, and his stomach was trying to go several ways at once. His mind had gone completely blank, and he just looked at her trying to decide what he was supposed to do next. He focused on the smile, which regardless of what else was happening, was something nice to look at.

"Well, we should probably get going...lot of people wanting to see us and find out what...I mean how we did."

Soren just started to follow Althea. He wouldn't try to figure it out there and then. It was too much for him. He had one looming disaster to worry about without trying to fathom the inner workings of a woman's mind on top of it. They rounded the bend in the path, and the village came into sight. He heard a call, and a number of responses. Naturally, someone had been looking out for them, and by the time they cleared the trees, a group of people had gathered near the edge of the village looking on. Both parents, Jameth, and Fallin were at the front of the gathering, and no one else was game to move past them.

Fallin moved forward towards the two youths as they approached the village. "I just want to say thank you to both of you, especially you, Althea, for what you've done for us. Soren will be the one everyone will thank, but some of us will know the truth, Soren being one of them."

"Yes, Fallin, I know she is the one who did it this time." He smiled to Althea as the three continued to approach the villagers.

"People, our saviours have returned from giving us back life from the river." The villagers cheered, and Soren saw his parents run over to greet him. His mother wrapped her arms about him while his father stood back, pride beaming from his face. His mother looked up to him, eyes full of tears above a smile that was as broad as he had ever seen. His father put out his hand, shaking Soren's heartily.

"It seems the Gods have chosen a different path for you to walk, rather than a farmer's field."

"Well, Sarathi will only have enough for himself after you take your final sleep, father."

"True, but it is nice to know that I will not have to worry to much about what to do with you. Thank you, for what you've done."

"It was what I could do to help, Father."

"Gorben, I need to speak with the lad for a moment, if I may."

"Master Fallin, of course. We have plenty of time to speak with him. Go. We'll talk more when you get home."

Fallin led Soren toward the river's edge, with a small group of people following until Fallin made it clear that he wanted to be alone with the blonde giant. They came to a spot that had the day before been four feet lower than it was as they looked at it, and there were signs of life under the surface.

"I can't thank you enough for what you've done, Soren. I have little idea of what Althea did, but that you got her there, and back, safe is what was important."

"Thank you, Master Fallin. I still don't understand what she did exactly, but I doubt it if I could have done it. But, I'm glad it has been done, and all is now right again."

"Yes, people were nervous last night, then this morning, the water was back to normal and -"

Soren turned to look at what caught Fallin's attention. One patch of the flowing water had becalmed, then started to moved upward. Soren started to feel scared, but then remembered seeing it happen before. Fallin, he noticed, had gone pale and was taking a step back. Within moments, the translucent, pale blue feminine form of the River Spirit stood before them. It faced Soren, bowing gracefully to him. It took no thinking on his part to know what to do; he bowed rather clumsily in return.

"I see the Guardian is here, but where is the Sindra?" Her voice was melodious and soothing on their ears. Even when she raised her voice for those farther away to hear, it lost none of it's nicer qualities.

"Let the Sindra be brought forth that I may speak to her and her Guardian, who already stands before me. Please, make speed for I have little time to spare."
 
Last edited:
"I just want to say thank you to both of you, especially you, Althea, for what you've done for us. Soren will be the one everyone will thank, but some of us will know the truth, Soren being one of them."
"Yes, Fallin, I know she is the one who did it this time." Althea returned Soren’s smile with one of her own.
Thank you, Master Fallin, your appreciation means a lot,” She replied quietly as they continued towards where the crowd was waiting.
"People, our saviours have returned from giving us back life from the river."

The hugs came fast. Althea barely had time to draw breath before her mother’s arms wrapped crushingly around her frame, forcing what little air she’d snatched straight back out of her lungs.
“Oh my darling, my darling, I’m so proud of you,” Her mother’s voice was trembling and Althea didn’t doubt she’d been crying already that morning. Going by the sheen to her eyes, she was probably going to do it again before long.
It’s good to be home, Mama,” Althea managed to squeak out as her mother pressed an exuberant kiss to her cheek. “And I’m happy to know I’ve made you happy and proud of me.” She hugged her mother back, catching Jameth’s eyes over her shoulder.

Her mother’s arms eventually left her and Jameth stepped closer. His face a blend of pride, relief and something else Althea didn’t quite recognise.
“Are you ok?” He asked, the tightness in his voice betraying that third, unidentified, emotion. Worry.
I’m fine,” She insisted softly, closing the distance between them to hug him. Resting her cheek against his chest as his arms mimicked hers and wrapped around her. She didn’t lift her face to his, even when she felt his lips press gently against her hair. It felt so nice, so comfortable in his arms, but something about it didn’t feel quite right. To kiss him would feel too strange. At least, at that moment she thought it would.

Her mother began to gush about how worried everyone had been, about how many visitors she’d had. Althea listened, nestled against Jameth, her own eyes wandering over the assembled crowd and hovering over Soren’s reunion with his own family. Watching as Fallin joined them and took Soren away to the side. Inside she hoped he wasn’t being questioned about his conduct, about what might or might not have happened between them while certain that even if he was asked he wouldn’t reveal the events of the previous night.

"Let the Sindra be brought forth that I may speak to her and her Guardian, who already stands before me. Please, make speed for I have little time to spare." The musical toned voice that called out over the villagers was only just recognised by Althea a split second before the words registered and her cheeks paled as a result.

Sindra. That word with all its connotations and associations. The word that many whispered, that few understood. She could hear the mutterings amongst the people as the realisation dawned that perhaps Soren hadn’t been as responsible for the river’s transformation as had been previously believed.
She could almost feel, almost hear, as the cogs in people’s minds turned and settled on the same conclusion. Everyone’s shocked gaze travelled from the watery apparition before them and fixed on a new target. Upon her. Her mother’s jaw dropped and Jameth stepped back ever so slightly.

“Sindra? You…? She…she means you?” He murmured in disbelief, his eyes looking over from head to toe and back again as if she’d suddenly morphed into some mythical beast.

There is much to say, much to explain, too much. But I…I can’t…not now…” Her feet were already moving her towards the river. “I’m sorry. I really am. Please know I wanted to tell you both, lots of times. You’re the last ones I wanted to hide this from…” With an apologetic expression she turned away from her mother and Jameth and walked steadily towards where Soren, Fallin and the Water Spirit were waiting.

Every eye in the village was watching her. Heads turning in perfect time with her progress. Her cheeks were regaining their natural pink with great speed and were soon starting to glow red. She kept her own gaze fixed on the ground until Soren and Fallin’s feet came into her view.

Lifting her chin she let her eyes move from the beautiful Spirit to Fallin, who was starting to warily back away from the river, and then to Soren. She stepped up to stand beside him at the water’s edge and whispered quietly so that only his ear would hear her words.

Well, if it’s any consolation, I doubt think we have to worry about people talking about whether or not anything happened between us in the woods last night anymore!” She was trying to lighten the anxious mood. It really didn’t work.

Wetting her lips, Althea inclined her head in a bow towards the watery woman before them. “I am here, Spirit. We both are. What do you wish of us?
 
Last edited:
Upon hearing her words, Soren's face lost all colour. He remained still, looking at the water spirit and trying his hardest to ignore everything going on behind him. But it was clear to him that he was not able to filter out what he was hearing. The voices started off soft, mere whispers that he couldn't make out, but grew into clearly heard words full of curiosity and more than a little fear.

Soren stood still, fighting between the need to stay where he was standing, and going to protect Althea like he had done on both their previous ventures into the forest. But he heard her footsteps approaching. He started to smile a little while he faced the spirit. She came to a halt beside him, right near the water's edge.

“Well, if it’s any consolation, I doubt think we have to worry about people talking about whether or not anything happened between us in the woods last night anymore!”

Soren only grunted in response, just loud enough for Althea to hear. With her by his side, he stood tall and proud beside her. He felt the distance between them, and between the pair and the remainder of the village. He noticed some movement from Althea out of the corner of his eye.

“I am here, Spirit. We both are. What do you wish of us?”

The spirit returned her bow, and Soren saw the watery figure was smiling. She drifted closer until she was a more respectful distance.

"Both of you have shown great courage in what you have done. You, Sindra, in righting what was wronged, and you, Guardian, in saving the Sindra's life without pause. Together, you have brought life back to my river.

"Such courage will be rewarded. I know of a place where another Sindra and his Guardian lived until they went into their endless sleep. But they have left behind possessions that will be of great use and value to both of you.

"Should you seek them, then return to the place where you righted what was wronged, and I shall impart the wisdom you will need to find where they take their final sleep."

She turned to Fallin, bowing respectfully to him. Rather nervously, he returned the bow, not really sure what was going on.

"On the day of Spring when day and night are balanced, one of the village will place a Lilly on the spot where the Sindra and her Guardian stand. I will take the offering, and will keep the River well for you, as long as you are respectful. If not, the fish will leave, and the waters will not quench any thirsts."

Fallin nodded, relaxing a little after she spoke. "We shall gladly do so, Lady of the River."

The water spirit smiled warmly. "Lady of the River I shall be known to all who dwell here from this day forth." She slowly lowered herself into the water until all signs of her presence had gone.

Soren turned to face Althea. "So, Sindra, do you think you'll be needing your Guardian anytime soon?" His eyes flickered towards the villagers, especially her mother and Jameth. "I will stay with you, if you like. But we will need to talk about the spirit's offer at some point."

Soren took a few steps away from the water's edge, and was confronted by a very upset Jameth. The smaller man was looking red in the face, and his fists were clenched beside his body.

"How did you do this to her, farmer? How did you let her get turned into... into a... Sindra? You said you'd protect her! It doesn't look like it worked very well, does it? Well? What have you got to say, mighty warrior?"
 
Last edited:
Althea listened carefully. The melodious voice washing over her with serenity and a sense of pure calmness that it helped quell the tension inside her and allow her to take in what she was being told. Another Sindra. Possessions left behind. Returning to the woods.

There was a twinge of excitement deep inside at the prospect of another adventure, with Soren, but she managed to supress it and continue concentrating as the Spirit’s attention shifted to Master Fallin.
“Lady of the River I shall be known to all who dwell here from this day forth."
Althea’s eyes remained fixed on the waters for a few long moments after the Spirit had gone.

"So, Sindra,” Althea turned to look at Soren. “Do you think you'll be needing your Guardian anytime soon?"
Your Guardian. Her lips parted but no sound came out. Hers. He was hers, her Guardian? That the Spirit had said it had been strange enough to hear, to have the words coming from his lips was beyond comprehension.
"I will stay with you, if you like. But we will need to talk about the spirit's offer at some point."

Althea wanted to say yes, noting his glance towards the rest of the village, wanted to say, to ask him, to stay with her. She wanted nothing more than to talk with him about what the Spirit had said, to just turn around and head back into the trees from which they had just come. She knew she couldn’t, they couldn’t. Not least because Jameth’s furious voice cut through the air like a knife.

"How did you do this to her, farmer? How did you let her get turned into... into a... Sindra? You said you'd protect her! It doesn't look like it worked very well, does it? Well? What have you got to say, mighty warrior?"
If it wasn’t for the genuine fury in his face and voice it would be almost comical to see the smaller man squaring up against Soren’s towering frame. At first Althea wanted to laugh but then his words pricked at a different emotion within her and before she really knew it she was stood between them. Her back at Soren’s front and her eyes blazing into Jameth’s.

He didn’t do this to me.” She said bluntly. Her voice quiet, but dangerous. “But what Soren did do was save my life. You should be thanking him, not accusing him.
There was a pause and it became painfully obvious the entire village was following their conversation. You could have heard a pin drop despite the large crowd.

Soren is a hero. He saved me as he saved those women before. He deserves your gratitude and your respect. I, for one, think you owe him an apology.
Over Jameth’s shoulder Althea caught sight of her mother’s face. Confusion and worry were warring on her features and Althea knew an explanation was required.

As for me, I…” Her eyes flitted to Dagda, stood on the edge of the crowd, watching with quiet interest. He nodded subtly, silently granting her permission to share the truth, at least in part. “I have been studying the magickal ways for some time now.

There was an almost theatrical gasp at her admission. Althea wanted to reach back and hold Soren’s hand but the urge was somehow quickly supressed and she forced herself to step away from him slightly, moving around the still glowering Jameth to face her mother.

I’m sorry I didn’t say anything but I…I couldn’t.” Althea’s voice faltered slightly. “Believe me I wanted to, so many times.” Her eyes left her mother’s for a moment to glance at the people around them. Expressions ranged from almost terrified to intrigued and curious. “I’m still the same girl who left this village yesterday. What happened in the woods has not changed who I am. I didn’t think of myself as a Sindra, or even close to one, until now. It’s much a surprise for me as it is for you, I assure you.

The river is clean again and the Spirit is pleased with what we have done. As you all should be.” This was addressed to the villagers before Althea took a deep breath and glanced back at Soren. “Whatever I did I could not have done without Soren, without my Guardian. You owe him just as much as you might owe me. And now, we would ask for some time with our families. Time to ourselves. Please…

The people hesitated for a second or two before starting to wander away. Jameth frowned at them both for a few moments longer before stalking away.
Soon there was no one left beside the river but Althea and Soren, with their families nearby.

I need to go and talk to my mother…things I need to explain, or at least try to,” Althea said quietly to the farmer. “As I’m sure you wish to do with your family. But I…I do want, need, to talk to you too. There is much to discuss. Perhaps we can meet here? This afternoon?
 
Soren felt a deep urge to punch the loud mouthed merchant's son over his accusations. There were two women that came to mind that prevented him from carrying through. The first was his mother, reminding the younger, and still large boy for his age, about fighting other children. He heard the echoes of her voice telling him that he would do well to not fight back unless there was a need.

The other was Althea. He knew she wouldn't take too well to him punching the man she was being courted by. But he was not going to let the other man just beat him without defending himself. But before things came to a head, Althea interposed herself between them. Soren took a step back to give her the room she deserved.

“He didn’t do this to me. But what Soren did do was save my life. You should be thanking him, not accusing him.”

Soren watched the crowd, suddenly feeling like he needed to be what the Spirit called him; Althea's Guardian. The looks on people's faces were mixed, but there were enough that were unsure about the news, or not liking it, that problems could arise at any moment.

When she announced that she had been training for a while, Soren thought that it was all going to come undone. But all there was in reaction to the news was a loud gasp, followed by some soft murmurs. Althea turned to speak to her Mother, explaining herself as much as she could in public.

“The river is clean again and the Spirit is pleased with what we have done. As you all should be. Whatever I did I could not have done without Soren, without my Guardian. You owe him just as much as you might owe me. And now, we would ask for some time with our families. Time to ourselves. Please…”

He missed her glance back at him, as he was busy watching the few faces that showed genuine fear and terror at what happened. Luckily, they were all older members of the village, and not very capable of doing more than working their jaws.

Everyone not related to the two of them by blood left, returning to their homes, duties and tasks. Soren visibly relaxed when the tension left the area as well.

"Thank the Gods they didn't throw you on a fire, Althea. More than one person out there saw it in their minds, I'm sure."

“I need to go and talk to my mother…things I need to explain, or at least try to. As I’m sure you wish to do with your family. But I…I do want, need, to talk to you too. There is much to discuss. Perhaps we can meet here? This afternoon?”

"Yes, we'll meet here again." Even having his suspicions, and being told by Dagda and Fallin, hearing Althea openly declare what she was made it real for him. In his eyes, she was no longer just a villager. She was a Sindra.

He didn't think about his action, nor how it would be viewed by anyone else. He pulled Althea into a hug, and held her. They had been through much together, and he wanted something more than a simple farewell before they parted. Fate seemed to have thrown them together, so he was going to try and make sure that they didn't fight each other as much.

He let go of her, and walked back to his parents. They both looked at him with expressions he couldn't decipher, and he wasn't really wanting to. Kralla bent her neck to allow her to look up at her son. She extended both hands and cupped his face. Her expression morphed into one of pure joy and pride.

"No only did you behave, you rescued her too. She will be fortunate to have a husband such as you."

Soren's eyes opened as wide as possible, wrenching his head out of her grasp and taking a step backward. "Mother!" He hissed, his face going bright red in an instant.

"Leave the poor lad alone, Kralla. He has too much on his mind without you trying to find him a wife."

"Thank you, Father."

"Even if the young woman had already decided it for him."

"What?!?"

"Calm down, my son." Gorben put his hand on Soren's shoulder. It was impossible to get an arm around his shoulders without using a chair, ladder or a horse. "Your mother and I want to know everything that happened while you were out there. We are very proud of you. I think that you'll be more than just Althea's guardian, but the guardian of the village. You have saved many lives so far. I guess the Gods want you to do something other than till the soil."

The three walked in silence back to the Gorben Stead, where everyone waited to greet Soren as the hero they thought he was. He blushed as the workers and the rest of his family cheered him. When he got into the dining hall, he commenced his first recounting of the events. He kept to the important tasks; finding the spirit, Althea's cleansing and healing of the spirit, his saving her from drowning and their return the following morning.

There were a few light hearted comments about being alone with a pretty girl, but these went without comment nor reaction from Soren. Kralla also managed to help squash further comments along those lines with a few well placed glares.

"My son has shown his worth to the village once more, helping to save the people of our home from the fickle choices of Fate. Time to rejoice and feast for the good fortune shown."

A great cheer thundered through the hall, and everyone started to eat, drink, sing and toast the two young people who brought life back to their river.

~||~​

Soren was feeling a little seedy as he sat staring into the water that Althea had got back. He remembered how good it felt holding Althea before they went back with their families. Confusion sauntered across his face, staggering like he had when he first started walking back to the village. He knew that he was having feelings towards Althea, ones that brought a man and woman closer. But of course, he had to get them for one who was spoken for.

He snorted. "We'll go and find the tower, and find what the Spirit has told us of and come home again. She will marry Jameth, and I will... I will still be her Guardian." He blinked very slowly a few times. "Even when we first met in the forest, I have been guarding her when we've left the village. Somehow, I doubt Jameth would see it as just that."

He found a smooth river stone on the ground near him. He tossed it up and down in his palm a few times before he lobbed it into the river.

"But there is nothing that is going to happen. She doesn't like me at all." His face screwed up, as his mind tried to show him he was wrong, but he plowed on regardless. "She has a rich merchant's son who buys her pretty jewelry and lavishes her with attention and good prospects. Now wonder she is smitten by him."

He pulled himself upright, sitting straighter. He looked at the very spot where the Lady of the River appeared to the village. A few tears rolled down his cheek, which he quickly brushed aside.

"Well, as Father says, plow the field first before worrying about your harvest." He nodded to himself. "Yeah," he sighed, "let's plow the field. The harvest will come soon enough, and then we'll see how much we will reap."
 
"Yes, we'll meet here again."
Soren’s arms were strong but careful as they enfolded her, drawing her against him. The embrace caught her by surprise and yet it felt incredibly easy, right almost, her own arms rising to circle his waist for a moment or two. In truth, as he pulled away and left her she felt another pang of disappointment that unsettled and confused her more than she cared to consider.

Taking a deep breath while her back was turned she then headed back over to her mother. The older woman’s face was slightly pale, eyes unusually wide and bright and when she spoke her voice was tight and anxious.

“Tea.” She said bluntly, taking her daughter’s arm and beginning the short journey to their cottage.
Tea sounds wonderful.
They didn’t speak further until they were safely inside and behind the closed door.

“How long…?” Her mother asked, her eyes firmly fixed on the task at hand – of filling the kettle and swinging the heavy iron pot over the flames of the fireplace but her tone brooked no hesitation from Althea.
It’s been over year now,” Althea’s voice was quiet but calm. Her mother’s hand faltered as she reached for mugs from the shelf. Obviously that was not the answer she was expecting. Wetting her lips Althea continued, anticipating her mother’s next questions. “I’ve been studying with Master Dagda. It happened by accident, really, he caught me reading one of his books,” Her expression became guilty. “He talked with me, asked me some questions and then it…just…well, happened. I didn’t believe I could do it, do any of it. But little by little it started to make sense, things just seemed to fit into place.

The kettle’s shrill whistle stopped her from saying anything else until they were both sat at the kitchen table.
I still have a lot to learn, as Master Dagda is frequently reminding me,” A vague hint of a smile crept into Althea’s voice. “And, as long as you permit me, I will continue to study if he will still tutor me…
“Permit you?” Her mother’s tone was nothing short of shocked. “It’s not really up to me, now is it?”
Well, I just-
“The whole village knows what you are, or at least what you hope to become and how do they know this? A water spirit told them.” Althea’s mother’s sat back, expression softer. “Somehow I don’t think my opinion will hold much sway anymore.”
It will with me.” Althea replied smoothly, genuinely.

There was a pause, both women sipping their tea, the kitchen still.
“Just promise me you’ll be careful.”
Mama, of course, I-
There was a scraping sound as her mother’s chair pushed back on the tiled floor and she rose to her feet. “I won’t ask what you do, not least because I don’t pretend I will understand but because I don’t want to know. Not really. If I don’t know, I can’t worry.” Her mother’s hands cupped her face and turned it upwards to look at her, older eyes searching her features. “I believe that I’ve raised you the best I can, your father would’ve been so proud to know that you’ve already done so much. But…” She hesitated for a long moment. “…but don’t lose sight of what is important.”
Althea frowned slightly at the cryptic words.
I won’t…” She replied, not entirely sure of what she was promising.

Her mother looked at her for a little longer before smiling, weakly, and returning to her seat and her tea.
“Not everyone will be happy about this, you know that, don’t you.”
Althea knew she meant Jameth, she suspected she also meant some of their fellow villagers. Soren’s comment about being put on a fire running worryingly through her head for a second.
I know.” Althea ran her fingertip slowly around the rim of her mug. “But hopefully, with time, I can make them understand.

*~*~*~*~*​

It felt like she was being watched. Even though the road was mainly deserted, she could feel eyes on her. See curtains twitching out of the corner of her eyes as she walked towards the river.

What do they expect to happen? For me to suddenly lift off and fly?
She thought, trying to focus on where she was going and thinking of something to say when she got there. As she approached the riverbank she could see Soren’s back, broad and strong, waiting. Subconsciously she ran hands through her hair and straightened the shawl around her shoulders.

Well…” She began when she was still a little way away, not wanting to startle him by just appearing beside him. “…My mother’s not exactly thrilled about things but she’s trying to understand. I…I haven’t spoken to Jameth yet…I’ll wait, until tomorrow…” Althea tried to sound light hearted, slowly walking back and forth. “…maybe the day after…” She mused, lifting a hand to her mouth and running the backs of her fingers against her lips. “…maybe the day after that…

Althea stopped talking, the only sound that of the river and the swish of her booted feet against the grass as she continued to walk.
I feel like I should be saying sorry,” Althea said eventually, stopping her pacing and moving to lean against a tree a few feet from where Soren sat. “I knowneither of us asked for any of this but I am sorry if all this ‘Guardian’ business has caused you any trouble.

She pushed herself off the tree and moved to sit next to Soren, fingers fiddling with the hem of her shawl. Looking up towards his face.
I have to admit, I don’t really know what it’s going to entail…being my Guardian, that is. I think maybe we should go and talk to Dagda, together. He’ll know surely.” A slightly awkward smile. “If you want to, of course…visit Dagda I mean.” She winced inside. Hating how uncomfortably she was behaving.

So how did things go with your family? Am sure they’re all very proud of you. As they should be.” She smiled, warmer now. Trusting herself to relax and, as a result, lean against him slightly, her eyes leaving his face and looking out over the slowly moving waters before them.
What do you think we should do about the Spirit’s offer? About the things left behind by that other Sindra and Guardian.” Hoping he wanted to go after them as badly as she did and trying to keep that hope out of her voice in case he didn't.
 
The jumbled mess of his thoughts made Soren oblivious to Althea's arrival. He was torn between the future and the past. He thought of what had happened in the recent weeks where he had become a hero to the people of his village. He was even more drawn to the what happened between him and Althea. He was finding his thoughts going to her more and more frequently. First she didn't like him at all, then she was willing to work with him, maybe even be a friend. She was being courted by someone well suited for her, someone with great prospects. Yet they kissed, and it felt grand.

The future was going to keep them together for a while longer too. He was her Guardian, and there was a place where they would find items of value to them. They would be foolish not to go and see what was there, particularly after the Lady of the River came to tell them personally. But that would mean more time alone with Althea. Would she want to kiss him again? Would he want that?

The harder beat of his heart seemed to tell him that he was looking forward to that. Kissing her was so different to any other kiss he shared before. It excited him in a way that stayed with him for hours afterward. He closed his eyes, breathing deeply and slowing his racing heartbeat.

“Well… My mother’s not exactly thrilled about things but she’s trying to understand. I…I haven’t spoken to Jameth yet…I’ll wait, until tomorrow… maybe the day after… maybe the day after that…”

Soren opened his eyes, lifting his head a little at the sound of Althea's voice. The work he went through to bring his heartbeat under control was undone by the sound of her voice. He stared out at the water, not wanting her to see his confusion and discomfort brought about by his thoughts.

“I feel like I should be saying sorry. I know neither of us asked for any of this but I am sorry if all this ‘Guardian’ business has caused you any trouble.”

Soren softly snorted. "It's not your fault, Althea. But, it hasn't caused any trouble."

He glanced over to where she was leaning against the tree, taking in her entire body in a quick sweep of his eyes.

'The trouble started well before I was called your Guardian.'

While he didn't see it, he was aware of her approaching. But he caught her sitting beside him out of the corner of his eye, along with the fiddling of her fingers. When she turned to face him, he politely turned his head so they were looking at each other.

“I have to admit, I don’t really know what it’s going to entail…being my Guardian, that is. I think maybe we should go and talk to Dagda, together. He’ll know surely. If you want to, of course…visit Dagda I mean.”

"I think that would be a good idea. This is all new to me too, so I'd like to find out as much as I can before things go much further."

“So how did things go with your family? Am sure they’re all very proud of you. As they should be.”

"They went well." Soren almost jumped when Althea leant against him. But once the reaction had passed, he relaxed into it as well. Her simple gesture turned out to mean a lot to the young man. He felt his pride being bolstered by her ability to relax with him.

"The stead held a feast in our honour. It was all so strange.I know I had a part in it, but it was you that healed the spirit and made the river right again. But it felt like they were congratulating me for doing it. But, it was nice to be a reason for a great celebration."

“What do you think we should do about the Spirit’s offer? About the things left behind by that other Sindra and Guardian.”

Soren took a deep breath, turning his attention to the water once more. He went through the mass of jumbled thoughts and finally settled on the path he wanted to take.

"I think we should go to the place and see what is there. If nothing else, there may be items there that will aid you in your being a Sindra. I have no idea what there could be in there. But it would be a great waste if there was something useful there, and we left it be. I don't think that it would be far if the spirit knows of it. I mean, she is a Water Spirit, living in the river. Could she have seen the place herself? Can she leave the river at all?"

He looked back at Althea, surprised to think that she looked so normal while containing powers that most people thought were a myth. Surely there was something about them that made it easier to tell they wielded great power. But then, Dagda looked so ordinary too.

"Why don't we go and speak to Dagda and see what he has to say about what we should do. The more we know, the better it will be for us. I hope."

Soren stood up, extending his hand to Althea to help her stand. He waited for her to straighten her clothing then indicated that she lead the way, since she was the one with the greatest connection to the old Sindra.
 
"I think we should go to the place and see what is there. If nothing else, there may be items there that will aid you in your being a Sindra. I have no idea what there could be in there. But it would be a great waste if there was something useful there, and we left it be. I don't think that it would be far if the spirit knows of it. I mean, she is a Water Spirit, living in the river. Could she have seen the place herself? Can she leave the river at all?"
Althea shrugged, fingers rising to brush a few loose strands of hair back from her face.

"I wouldn't have thought so. Being of the water means she probably has to stay as close to it as possible. But then again she is made of magic as much as she is water...I would imagine if she wanted to, she could probably go wherever she wished." She mused aloud.

"Why don't we go and speak to Dagda and see what he has to say about what we should do. The more we know, the better it will be for us. I hope."
She found herself smiling as Soren rose and his hand appeared before her. Taking it she tugged slightly and stood up, letting go only to run her hands over her dress to smooth the fabric and brush off any pieces of bark or dirt that might have clung to the fibres. Althea had to stop herself reaching back out to retake his hand in hers.

She started to lead the way away from the riverside and towards Dagda’s house, before slowing her pace until they walked side by side. They didn’t talk, although there were so very many questions buffeting the inside of her mind. Most of the questions could wait, hopefully Dagda would answer most of them without her even having to ask. Some of questions Dagda couldn’t help with, in any way. There were questions she knew she’d most likely never actually ask. Questions only Soren could answer. She wanted to know how he felt about things beside those that the Water Spirit had spoken of. How he felt about her, if indeed he felt anything at all.

People were watching as they walked towards the old man’s house, whispers being exchanged, brows being raised. She was certain Soren was as aware of it as she was. But whether they were watching because of what she was or because of who she was with, she couldn’t say.

Soon enough they reached Dagda’s house and after a quick knock on the door the pair soon found themselves sat, not in the kitchen as Althea expected but, in the library. Dagda’s lined face looked positively youthful as he questioned them on what had happened with the Water Spirit. Both she and Soren answered his questions truthfully although both managed to leave large amounts of detail out from their retelling of things. Describing her initial appearance from the river, how awful she’d appeared. A quill appearing in Dagda’s hand as they told, then retold, what she’d said allowing him to carefully record it in one of the many tomes upon the table. Althea had recounted her experience under the water and Soren his view of things from the shore. Once they’d come to the point at which she could remember no more and he pulled her from the water…both versions grew noticeably vague.

So, this other Sindra…” Althea began somewhat uncertainly once the questioning seemed to have abated for a little while. “Did you know him…her…I mean, them? Were they from around here or were they like you…from further afield? And what of their Guardian…?
 
Soren quickly caught up with Althea, more so when she slowed her pace for him. They continued their walk in silence, and Soren kept looking about nervously, occasionally moving his head as well as just his eyes. He saw the villagers looking at them, whispering to each other and looking on with mixed expressions on their faces. He wanted to yell at them and tell them that there was nothing for them to see or talk about. But he knew better than to do that, because it would only add to the problems they were facing already.

Before he knew it, they were at the Sindra's house, and in a blink of an eye, sitting in his library. He still kept his hands to himself, paranoid about touching anything that could break, or turning him into a small animal. Soren saw a brightness in the old man's eyes that he never noticed before, and he was smiling a little more than he was used to as well.

The old Sindra wasted no time in asking his questions about their journey to see the Water Spirit. Soren took a great deal of care describing what he saw of the spirit and what happened to Althea, and his immediate efforts to care for her. He left out about warming her with his body, nor did he mention any of the other activities that occurred between them.

"Althea was very tired after her time in the water, and seeing all of that happen scared me greatly, which wore me out too. That's why we stayed the night." He was truthful with everything he said, and tried hard not to let the memories of the other activities that occurred that day.

They waited for Dagda to finish his writing, Soren starting to look uncomfortable with the growing silence and lack of activity.

“So, this other Sindra… Did you know him…her…I mean, them? Were they from around here or were they like you…from further afield? And what of their Guardian…?”

Dagda put down his last tome, still open so the ink could dry properly, then sat back in his chair, getting comfortable. He smiled at the two young adults across from him.

"I have no idea. I never knew of any other Sindra living here, which is why I moved here. I was looking at relaxing, and enjoying my winter years without all the burdens of my previous life." He gave Althea a mock stare of annoyance before smiling broadly again. "I don't know about their Guardian either. I never had one, never really needed one. Unless I wanted to call all my traveling companions my guardians, but that would be insulting to them as I joined them to help them, not the other way around.

"It could be that the Spirit knew of them when they lived. One being a Sindra, the other a soldier or warrior. The warrior might have been paid to guard the Sindra, who knows that their relationship truly was. But then, seeing you two together, the spirit might have assumed a similar relationship. Or, she may have called Soren you guardian due to the way he looked after you when you were hurt.

"Remember, Spirits see things differently to people, and that is saying something. Since people can see the same thing, and walk away with totally different thoughts and feelings about it, a spirit can view something in a way that makes absolutely no sense to anyone else.

"But that is neither here nor there. The Spirit seems to be closer to human intelligence than most, or can understand us like it was a human. It knows of this place, and what may be within. It would not be a deliberate trap, but a genuine way of thanking you for your help. If it were me, I would be packing my travel bags and heading off at first light. But that's me. What do you want to do, that is the more important question."

Soren looked at Althea, waiting for her to speak. When it looked like she was not going to, Soren filled the silence.

"I-I would like us to go. Anything that can help Althea be better as a Sindra would be useful." He blushed slightly. "There is also a chance of finding something I might find useful too. Also, everyone heard what she said to us. They will expect us to go."

"My boy, don't let the minds of others tell you what you must think and do. Listen to the words you hear. Then let your mind, your heart, guide you on what to do.

"So, Soren feels it is a good idea to go. What of you, my student? Do you feel the same way?"
 
Last edited:
"I-I would like us to go. Anything that can help Althea be better as a Sindra would be useful. There is also a chance of finding something I might find useful too."
Althea allowed herself a small smile as she looked down at the table top.
"Also, everyone heard what she said to us. They will expect us to go."
"My boy, don't let the minds of others tell you what you must think and do. Listen to the words you hear. Then let your mind, your heart, guide you on what to do."
The elder's words were not meant for her but she kept replaying them in her mind. Her mind, her heart.

"So, Soren feels it is a good idea to go. What of you, my student? Do you feel the same way?"
It took a split second for Althea to realise he was talking to her and looked up with slightly flushed cheeks.
"I do." She said, possibly too quickly. "I mean, I think it's a very good idea. It may well be that as far as threats to our village go, we have dealt with the only one there was. But there might be more and who knows what we might find. Something that could help, possibly."

Turning slightly she looked at Soren.
"And, if it's alright with you, I don't think we should waste any time in leaving. Perhaps we could leave in the morning...?"
She wanted to suggest they left there and then but there was being eager and then there was being crazy. Besides, they both needed time with their families, time to unwind. Time away from one another. At least, she did.

And as much as she wanted to pretend she didn't, she knew she had to find Jameth. Had to talk to him.

Dagda nodded and rose from the table, moving to retrieve a folded parchment from one of the many shelves. Unfolding it and laying it out, it turned out to be a detailed map of the woods.
“This may well help you. I’m sure the Spirit will guide you but the more magickal creatures may travel where we mortals may not, her directions might not take that into account. You might need to find an alternative route.”
Folding it back up Dagda held it out towards Althea. With a quiet word of thanks she turned in her seat and held it out to Soren.
“II think it would be better if Soren held the map,” Her eyes met his with the hint of a smile on her lips. “I’m fairly sure I’d get lost whether I had the map or not and I would hate to lose it. No, I think Soren’s the guide out of the pair of us.

The silence drew out after that. Dagda offered them tea. They both declined. He told them they must be tired, that they should probably be on their way, given what lay ahead of them the following day. On their way out of the door he shook Soren’s hand,
“You are a good man, my boy, a good man. But you need to start believing it yourself if you’re to do all that you’re capable of.” The old man’s smile became wry as he glanced at Althea. “Although if you could teach this one a little of your caution, it would probably serve her well.” She felt her cheeks burn.

He hugged her, tighter than she expected. Bringing their faces close enough for him to whisper.
“Be careful. It’s true. You are more powerful than you know, than I’ve let on, but you still have to learn how to use it. Soren may be your guardian but he can still get hurt, as can you. Be careful you don’t put the pair of you into danger if you don’t need to be there. Please…try to think before you act.”
I will, I promise…” Althea hugged him back, worry pricking at her insides. Perhaps for the first time she found herself really wondering about why she was so eager to go running back into the woods where goodness only knew what lived.

They waved goodbye and started to walk down the path and back out onto the road. The pair pausing. An awkward silence surrounding them once more as they stood in front of one another.
Shall we meet by the river? Or perhaps it would be better to meet outside the village…less chance of distractions before we set off…” Althea suggested.
Another pause. More silence.
Soren, I-” She began before a noise made her stop. The sound of booted feet moving steadily and rapidly against the dusty road set her heart racing. Drawing ever closer. A moment of panic that perhaps dangers lived outside of the woods as well as within the shadows of the trees. She drew closer to Soren’s side without realising it.

Then a face appeared around the hedgerow. It was Jameth. And while he didn’t look happy, she didn’t believe him dangerous.
Oh. You frightened me. Soren and I, we‘ve just…” She didn’t get to finish. Jameth closed the gap between them, took a firm hold of her and drew her close, his mouth latching onto hers before she could draw breath.
The kiss was hard and slightly fierce. And slightly forced. It almost didn’t feel real. The hold on her upper arms was tight, bordering on the painful and his body was altogether too close to hers. She couldn’t have participated, even if she’d wanted to. When at last his lips left hers, she saw him look not at her but to where Soren stood.

She felt a stab of something deep inside, something like guilt. Something a little like hate. What had just happened was about male pride and ownership. No words were exchanged and she watched as Soren turned and walked away. Hating that she didn’t speak up before he did.
“I’m not sure how I feel about you leaving again, so soon,” Jameth said bluntly, nodding his head towards Soren’s retreating back. “…And with him.”

I will only be gone for a day or so…if even that. After all, we only remained in the woods because of my injury. If I hadn’t hurt myself we would have been back last night.” Althea said as brightly as she could manage.
Her lips were tingling from the pressure of his against them but instead of the warmth deep inside she’d felt after Soren’s kiss she felt nothing. Maybe it was that the kiss wasn’t intended to inflame her desire for him but to remind Soren of the existence of him. Maybe it was that she’d been caught unawares.

Maybe it was that it was it wasn’t Soren…

That was the thought that kept running round and round her head all the way back to the cottage.
Jameth kissed her again at the garden gate. This was softer, warmer and altogether far more loving. But even though she reciprocated, felt her arms moving around his neck and one foot rising from the ground slightly behind her, she didn’t feel that thrill she’d felt in the tent, feel that urge for more.
She bid him ‘Goodnight’ and waved as he wandered off down the road. Althea ignored the twitching of the curtain that signalled her mother had been watching, giving her a hug and a kiss to her cheek before explaining that she’d be going into the woods the next morning and needed to rest.

Her mother, smiling from ear to ear about the kiss she’d just witnessed, either didn’t care or didn’t really listen. Wishing her daughter restful sleep and promising a hearty breakfast in the morning to see her on her way, she let her go without a word. In a way, Althea wished she’d clucked and fussed and wanted to ramble on about what a fine match it would be. Letting her forget the woods and the magick…and Soren…for a little while.

Instead shortly afterwards Althea lay in bed, in the dark, a solitary candle making strange shapes dance on the walls. Alone with nothing but her thoughts. She tossed and turned as she tried to think of something, anything, other than how she felt. Reciting herbs to herself, the annual Sindran festivals and celebrations in order. In the end she snuffed out the candle with a huff and forced herself to close her eyes and go to sleep.

Morning came and she barely felt she’d slept. But unlike the night before she felt oddly excited. There was an adventure ahead. An adventure with Soren. And perhaps whatever this mysterious thing was that they were going to find would help her figure out all the other madness. She felt almost relieved as she waved her mother goodbye and, with her cloak drawn around her against the early morning chill, headed off down the road to meet him.
 
Soren sat quietly as the two Sindra talked, nodding silently when Althea suggested leaving the following day. It made good sense not to delay any longer than needed. There was much going on that he needed to sort out in his mind, but doing it within the bounds of the village, even the stead, made it extremely difficult for him to do. Plus, he wanted to be able to talk to Althea alone.

Soren looked up as the old man moved about the room, bringing back a folded parchment. He was surprised to see it was a map of the local area, mostly covering the woods the Spirit had directed them to go into.

“This may well help you. I’m sure the Spirit will guide you but the more magickal creatures may travel where we mortals may not, her directions might not take that into account. You might need to find an alternative route.”

Soon, it was folded again, handed to Althea who immediately turned to hand it to Soren.

“I think it would be better if Soren held the map. I’m fairly sure I’d get lost whether I had the map or not and I would hate to lose it. No, I think Soren’s the guide out of the pair of us.”

Soren returned Althea's smile, accepting the map. Since there wasn't anything else to discuss or do, the old man started escorting them to the front door of his house.

“You are a good man, my boy, a good man. But you need to start believing it yourself if you’re to do all that you’re capable of. Although if you could teach this one a little of your caution, it would probably serve her well.”

Soren shook the man's hand, feeling more at ease from the simple gesture.

"Master Dagda, if you have trouble teaching her, what makes you think I will do any better?"

Soren heard a silent chuckle that tapered into a sigh. He took a few steps away, sensing that Althea and Dagda needed a little privacy. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the two hug, but nothing improper from the older man. Soren didn't suspect the man would be anything else but proper with Althea, but at least this way, he could answer honestly that he saw nothing wrong happen.

Not long after, the two of them were walking back to the main part of the village. Being Althea's Guardian made Soren take the duties seriously. So he would walk her back to her house before heading back to the stead.

“Shall we meet by the river? Or perhaps it would be better to meet outside the village…less chance of distractions before we set off…”

Soren heard the sounds of someone approaching the same time Althea had. He didn't realise what he was doing, but he found himself shielding Althea with his own body, his hand going to the hilt of the sword that still hung from his belt.

Even after Jameth's head came into view, Soren's hand remained holding the grip of his sword. Soren's hand remained on the sword hilt when he saw the unpleasant look on the other man's face.

“Oh. You frightened me. Soren and I, we've just…”

Jameth covered the distance between them quickly, grabbing Althea and kissing her hard. Soren didn't have much real experience with kissing women, but even his lacking knowledge told him that Jameth wasn't greeting Althea with the kiss.

“I’m not sure how I feel about you leaving again, so soon… And with him.”

Soren turned to Althea, totally ignoring Jameth. "Since you have another escort, Sindra, I shall go and make ready for our travels on the morrow."

He hid the pain he felt at what he was forced to witness. He was not sure what hurt more, that Jameth wasn't kissing Althea affectionately, or that Althea was being kissed by another. He walked off, turning over in his mind the list of supplies he would need for their coming trip. He focused on it hard, as every time he ceased thinking on the list, all he saw was himself punching the smug faced merchant.

When he got back to the stead, another celebration was just simmering, waiting for his arrival to bring it to the boil. All thoughts of the arrogant Jameth were banished as he became the focus of attention of his extended family. Plied with drink, food and rapt attention, he was grilled about the trip, and what happened. The entire room went silent as he explained, as best he could, how Althea dealt with the spirit. His mother managed to piece together one aspect of his tale that the others overlooked, and watched him intently while he tried to finish the tale. A great roaring cheer filled the hall at the end and people went about eating, drinking and flirting.

Kralla walked over to her son, grabbing his face between her two hands, turning down so she could look him straight in the eye. Soren always felt that behind his eyes, his mind was open to his mother's look. After what felt like hours of not blinking, he saw her smile erupt, then was pulled down into a proud mother's kiss.

"Good man." Her voice was just loud enough for him to hear. "Keep treating her properly. It's your duty now."

"Yes, Mamma." Soren felt like a little kid again under her gaze.

"Lout, go and enjoy the celebration. You earned it."

His father caught him, and the two spoke quickly about his departure the following day, and the need for supplies. Gorben clapped him on the shoulder, telling him it would all be ready for him in the morning. Soren smiled his thanks, and spent the next few hours getting more and more drunk, and finding himself in the company of many young women, most he knew were not from the stead and all without husbands.

By the time he staggered into his bedroom, he was rather drunk, very tired and torn between pleased and upset about what happened with a few of the unmarried women present. He had managed to remain a good man by his mother's standards, but his did more than just kiss the women. He got no complaints from any of them either. But he was asleep not long after his head his the pillow.


Soren woke up with a slight groan, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He stared bleary eyed out the window at the first rays of the sun stabbing at him. He sat up, grumbling at the way his stomach lurched at the movement.

"Thought I drank too much last night."

He pulled on his clothing, followed by his leather breastplate, sword belt, greaves and bracers. He gathered his quiver and bow, then trudged down to the eating hall to stop his stomach complaining.

His father and brother were waiting for him, food at the main table waiting for them. Both of the other men were smirking at Soren's lacklustre expression and lack of spring in his step.

"I thought you'd be eager to take another trip with Althea, Brother."

"Sarathi! She's being courted by another man. Plus, Soren was definitely entertaining other offers last night."

"Yes, some were rather entertaining from what I saw." Sarathi laughed as Soren blushed.

"Let's not go too hard on him. He's got a job to protect the younger Sindra. He'll need food in his belly to clear the fumes of last night. Sit, my son. Eat."

The three ate quietly at first, until Soren got a little more lively with the food in his belly. By the time their breakfast was over, they were behaving close to normal; laughing, joking and sharing their thoughts about all kinds of matters.

"You head off, Sarathi. I'll be with you soon." Gorben waited until his elder son was gone before he spoke to Soren. "I know you haven't told us all of what happened, and I am not going to ask you. But do what your heart tells you is the right thing, and ignore your heads." Soren looked confused for a moment, then nodded. The two went walking outside, Soren coming to a halt at the sight of the laden horse.

"There's enough supplies to last the two of you a week, plus tents and other things that you might be needing. Plus, it'll help save your strength for when you really need it. There's room for Althea to store some of what she needs too. May the Gods look after you both, son."

Soren shook his father's hand, and led the pack horse out of the stead toward the village and his meeting with Althea, the Sindra. While they hadn't agreed to meet anywhere in particular, Soren walked to the place where the Water Spirit spoke to them, hoping that Althea would check there first.
 
Althea only realised half way down the main road that Jameth's arrival the previous evening had interrupted their planning and that no arrangements had been made about where they should meet.

The river. She decided. It was where they had met before, there was some measure of sense in heading there again.
She hadn't been waiting long, wandering up and down the river bank, collecting pebbles and stones and pushing them into a small leather purse when Soren arrived.

Althea's eyes widened slightly when she saw he was not alone. Smiling she bent to pull up a tuft of grass before approaching the horse and holding out the grass for it to nibble, scratching it's forehead beneath it's forelock when it bent it's head to take the blades from her palm. It's lips were soft and made her giggle.
"So who's our new friend?" She asked after a moment or two, glancing up at Soren. "Will he, she, they be coming with us?"

Althea continued to tickle the face of the docile animal while Soren explained.
"Well, it'll be nice for you not to have to carry everything for us." She smiled. "And I guess that means we should be able to travel quicker although..." She glanced at the horse. "I think we might have to take a different route. Some of those paths we took were fairly narrow...tracks really...you'd know better than I, but I don't think we'll manage with our new friend here." Althea ran her hand down the side of the horse's neck and patted their withers. "What do you think?"

The horse's hooves clopped dully against the dusty road as they headed towards the woods, everywhere still and quiet. Farm workers would already be up and about, their day's work starting long before those in the village so there was no one around to watch them disappear into the trees.

They'd been walking for a little while when Althea caught herself looking at Soren. He seemed quieter than usual, a little more lost in his thoughts. The more she looked he also seemed tired in her opinion, brow a little furrowed, eyes not as bright as normal. She was tired herself but she knew why she felt fatigued, what the reason for her poor sleep was.

She cleared her throat and decided to try and find out. After all, if he was worried about this trip she decided it would be better to know, than not. Who knew how far away their destination was, how long they'd be away. If he wasn't feeling right, the sooner he told her the better.
"So, how was your evening last night? Did you manage to rest at all?"
 
Soren was not surprised that saw Althea waiting for him. Naturally, she had a shorter distance to travel, and he felt that she would have been awake early so she could start on her next adventure. Soren was looking forward to it, but not with the same degree of eagerness that Althea seemed to show.

Althea looked a little surprised, but quickly got some grass, and got on the good side of the horse.

"So who's our new friend? Will he, she, they be coming with us?"

Soren took a look at the horse, noting the distinguishing marks. "Her name is Sylea, and yes, she's coming along with us instead of us carrying everything. We made sure there was room for your gear as well. If you could hand it to me, I will get it packed properly."

While he got her gear packed properly, he listened to Althea's comments and concerns. He frowned slightly, not really knowing how the various trails would be for Sylea. Most of them were wide enough for people to ride along, but those leading to the tower might be a different matter.

"Well, most of the way we will be fine. The map shows trails that I know a horse can travel easily enough. As for the rest, we'll will see when we get there."

Both unencumbered by the necessities of their travels, the pair headed off towards their next goal. Soren kept beside the horse, lost in his thoughts of the previous night, and some of the more memorable events as well as his time alone with Althea after saving her from drowning.

He was confused, and slightly troubled. He had kissed three of those who showed him interest as a potential husband, but those kisses lacked the something that he felt when he and Althea kissed. The kissing was good, but not as good as with her. Plus, with two of them, things went a little further with them showing what else they could do with their mouths. Before that night, he had never had a woman use her mouth on his cock, and bring him to his fullest pleasure. That night, he had two do that for him. It was a truly incredible feeling, but his mind was more focused on someone else doing it, and wondering if that someone else would do something like that.

All of which then changed into Jameth and Althea doing such things together; kissing and the other pleasing. He felt ashamed of thinking about other people being intimate, but he felt both sad and angry about it being someone other than him. It annoyed him greatly that he was so focused on Althea in that way when she was clearly being courted by another man, and from appearances, agreeable to that courtship. She hadn't really showed any interest in him, aside from the time in the tent, which he was sure was due to her nearly drowning and his rescuing her.

While his head tried to make sense of the tumble of thoughts and emotions, he would look up, confirm they were going the right way, then allow himself to sink back into the rather depressing thoughts once more. He was barely aware of Althea's presence during that time, and was trusting her to remain close.

He was startled from his thoughts by a loud noise, realizing that it was Althea clearing her throat. He was about to resume his thoughts when she started to talk.

"So, how was your evening last night? Did you manage to rest at all?"

"Hmmm? Oh, last night? It was busy. The stead threw another celebration for what we, I mean you, did for the village. Rather than just the stead, there were others from neighbouring steads as well." His brow furrowed for a bit. "I don't think I have every drank so much before in my life. But, it was enjoyable." Soren stared off into space for a moment or two as they continued walking the trail. "It would seem now I am someone worthy of marrying. Before the bandit raid, I would be hard pressed to gain the interest of any unmarried woman in the area, now... Three women showed strong interest, even went as far as pressing their worthiness. Hard to kiss a woman when the entire eating hall is roaring with delight, and more than a few suggestions on what to do." He glanced at Althea and went bright red.

He came to a stop, pulled out the map and quickly unfolded it. He looked around, sighting some landmarks that allowed him to roughly figure out where they were. He knew he had said too much, but then it didn't matter. She was courting, and she would do whatever village women did to ensure that their suitor knew where he stood, just as the stead women did. He secured the map, trying to will his face to stop blazing so much.

"Well, it would look as though we will reach the fork in the path before sunset, so it might be a good place for us to camp. From there, it will take us another day to get to the tower, if what the Lady of the River told us is right."

Soren looked almost everywhere except for Althea, especially when they resumed walking. He stopped thinking about her, how she felt about him, thought of him and the rest of the mess and focused on looking for where the trail forked.
 
"Hmmm? Oh, last night? It was busy. The stead threw another celebration for what we, I mean you, did for the village. Rather than just the stead, there were others from neighbouring steads as well."
"Sounds fun," Althea admitted genuinely. She couldn't begin to imagine what such gatherings might be like. She believed they would be far and away more interesting and lively than festivities organised in the village itself where everything was propriety and tradition and who got to sit next to who and why.

"I don't think I have every drank so much before in my life. But, it was enjoyable."
Althea supressed a giggle. The idea of an even slightly tipsy Soren tickled her for some strange reason, most likely because he seemed so in control the majority of the time. To see him slightly under the influence would be, she thought, quite the sight to see.

She was about to reply that if they needed to take their time or rest for his benefit that they could when he continued and for a few long seconds afterwards she found herself unable to talk. In all honesty, by the time he'd finished speaking she was so lost in thoughts that she nearly walked into a tree.
"It would seem now I am someone worthy of marrying. Before the bandit raid, I would be hard pressed to gain the interest of any unmarried woman in the area, now... Three women showed strong interest, even went as far as pressing their worthiness. Hard to kiss a woman when the entire eating hall is roaring with delight, and more than a few suggestions on what to do."

He stopped and withdrew the map and Althea took the moment to feign an issue with the lacing in her boot and dropped to one knee. Mainly to hide her expression and the fact that all of a sudden she felt like bursting into tears. She cursed herself inwardly for reacting at all to his admission. She'd only moments earlier been jealous of the free-ness with which the farmers celebrated and surely hand-in-hand with that came the certainty that the more physical elements of human interaction would be more freely experienced but...still...

She squeezed her eyes shut and tried to focus on what it was she was feeling but she couldn't. She wanted to cry, she wanted to yell, she wanted to slap him and flounce off to show him how offended she was. But what she couldn't say was why she felt all of those things. No words had been shared between them, other than returning her own advances he hadn't shown the slightest interest in her.

Stupid Althea. Her mind whispered cruelly. He's a man. You've been warned about how they think and act and how different it is to women. Besides, he's said nothing, done nothing to even hint he might want you. Like that. That he might think of you as anything other than Althea from the village. Surely the fact he just told you of his escapades would indicate hasn't the faintest-
Luckily Soren's voice cut through her mind's scathing monologue before Althea was prompted to start arguing with herself.

"Well, it would look as though we will reach the fork in the path before sunset, so it might be a good place for us to camp. From there, it will take us another day to get to the tower, if what the Lady of the River told us is right."
"If that's what you think, then who am I to argue." Her voice sounded tight and awkward. She didn't like it.
Not trusting herself to be able to meet his eye she pressed on and started to continue the path they were following. Glad that being in front meant she could try to calm the angry hue of her face and ease the turbulence currently disturbing her insides.

Soren, as she knew he would be, was right. It was mid afternoon when they came to the fork in the path. Two obvious routes splitting off the main track and winding off into the trees.
She was a little calmer by that point but every time she glanced at the tall, broad shouldered farmer she felt the same unwanted, prickly heat of jealousy rising up sharply inside her.

They started to set up their camp, with Althea heading straight for one of the tent packs and emptying it out onto a small grassy area. She was determined to do something, both to prove she could and to have something to focus her mind now that walking was over. She hadn't the faintest idea where to begin, having been unconscious when they'd last set up camp and somewhat distracted when it had been taken down, but she wasn't going to let that stop her.

After almost an hour of work later, during which time Soren had been more than a little productive she had managed to erect something between a lean-to and a teepee, given herself two pretty painful smacks to the head with a tent pole and tripped over the guide-ropes more times than she cared to admit. She was flushed in the face, her hair less ordered than before, but she was calmer.

A little.

Until she let herself look at him.
"So...what can I do now?" She asked after taking a moment to compose herself, brushing her hands off on the back of her dress and pushing errant locks of hair from her face. Her eyes met his and she was pleasantly surprised to find the jealousy didn't sweep through her like before. It bubbled. But it didn't boil over.

Yet.
 
"If that's what you think, then who am I to argue."

Soren winced at her tone of voice, but he didn't look back. His attempts at keeping thoughts of Althea at bay failed miserably, because he was trying to work out what he said or did that caused her to get angry with him that time. By the time they had reached the fork, and found a good camp site near by, he had finally figured it out. She was upset at how he mentioned about the three women showing interest in him. She was probably thinking of how proud he must have been receiving their attentions. Because that's how men were... they wanted their own 'herd', as his mother explained to him.

'Such a fine young man like you will draw the eye of many women. But you must look for just one, Soren Gorbenson, not play them all along like you are trying to gain a herd.'

Althea must have seen it that way, even though not one of them stirred feelings in him the way Althea had when she kissed him. But he couldn't do anything with her, as she was being courted by Jameth, and it was all manners of wrong to steal her away from him. If she broke it off, then he might have a chance, but given the times they had been together, he may still gain fault over it and be accused of stealing her away from Jameth.


They started to make camp. Soren was caught a little off guard when Althea grabbed one of the tents and tried to put it together herself. He watched her out of the corner of his eye, many times about to call out to her and give her some suggestions or ask for help. He knew that neither would be accepted, not even after the first loud strike of a tent pole. He had one tent set up when she saw Althea trip over a rope.

By the time he had prepared the fire pit, Althea was dusting herself off and walking away from her efforts. It was not recognizable as anything, but he was not going to add to her clearly seen anger that bubbled just behind her eyes.

"So...what can I do now?"

"You can get what you'll need for the night into the tent," he nodded to the one he had put up, "then get some food out and readied for our last meal for the day. I'll gather some fire wood while you're doing that. By the time the food is ready, the fire will be too. I hope."

Without giving her time to respond, he walking into the woods a little, finding plenty of dry fuel close and handy. He laid the wood for a fire, and quickly got it started, feeding it enough to get a good cooking fire going. Once that was done, he went to remove the pack, and tack from Sylea so she could get some well earned rest too.

"You're a girl, Slyea," Soren whispered to the horse, looking back to make sure that Althea wasn't too close. "What can I do? How can I make things better?" He sighed, and the horse nudged his head with her nose. "Yes, like asking you is going to help me at all. You can't understand me. Plus, the only thing I can think of doing is kissing her again. It was nice kissing her." He cast a glance back to check on Althea once more. "So, o wise and noble steed, should I kiss the Sindra fair?"

Slyea nodded vigorously and snorted loudly. Soren took a step back, startled. He looked at the horse, who looked back at him unblinking. He had seen water form up into a person like shape, and speak clearly enough to be understood. He had seen Althea use her magic to heal him when he went up against the bandits. So the idea that the horse may have understood everything and answered in a way he could understand unsettled the young man deeply.

Absentmindedly, Soren checked to make sure that Sylea was properly secured before walking back to the fire where he sat down and without much thought, poked the fire with a stick, aimlessly and somewhat mechanically. Soren was having a hard time knowing what to believe any more.
 
Last edited:
"You can get what you'll need for the night into the tent then get some food out and readied for our last meal for the day. I'll gather some fire wood while you're doing that. By the time the food is ready, the fire will be too. I hope."
As soon as the words had finished leaving his lips Soren turned and walked away. Which was probably for the best. Althea felt her pride bristle at being told to prepare food but managed to quash the urge to vocalise it. Food was needed, he was making the fire. Only fair she contribute and cook.
Counting slowly to ten in her mind while she gathered up a couple of blankets from the pile of supplies Soren had taken from Sylea, Althea headed towards her 'tent.

Laying out the blankets within she laid down to test how comfortable she'd be later. It wasn't too bad. The ground was quite soft, the only thing that had been easy about the whole tent erecting process was how easy it had been to drive the tent pegs into the ground. So she'd be comfortable if nothing else. Eyes stole up to the roof of the tent and her brow furrowed. Up above through suddenly noticeable gaps in the material she could see fairly large swathes of blue sky, gradually deepening in hue as the sun starts to lower beneath the horizon. She chewed on her lip for a moment. It wasn't so bad.
Sure she might get a little cold but there were plenty of blankets. And the sky was clear so rain didn't look like an immediate problem. She'd be fine.

Trying to convince herself that there was any truth in that belief, she left her 'tent' and started to do as Soren had suggested. Finding some cured meat in amongst their supplies and slicing it into manageable portions with her knife, she divided it between two bowls, added some bread and a little homemade chutney her mother had apparently pushed inside her pack. Althea smiled to think of her mother's desire to help, to do something to show her support.

Soren had, by this point, started a small fire which was building nicely. Althea began to rifle through their belongings to find one of the water skins and by the time she'd found it, Soren was sitting beside the fire, poking at it with a small branch.
"Hope this is enough for you," Althea said, handing him a bowl, her voice sounding far more mellow. Far more 'normal'. "But if not, there's plenty more to be had."

A smile and Althea lowered herself to sit a little to the side of where her companion sat. She felt better for having had time to herself. Time to calm down, time to reason that she was probably just overexcited, nervous maybe, about the journey ahead and what they might come to find. Soren's comment had struck a nerve because of what had happened the last time they entered the woods.

She picked up a piece of the meat, dipped it into the chutney and took a bite. She smiled as the homemade flavour of her mother's preserve filled her mouth. It was comforting and familiar. It calmed her more than she ever thought possible.
"The chutney came from my mother," Althea said after the silence between them began to draw out uncomfortably. "I think she wanted to contribute something to our trip and figured that was the best she could do."
Another bite and a smile.
"And I might be biased? But it is a pretty good chutney."

Althea took a mouthful of water from the skin and held it out for Soren to take.
"So you said another day?" She asked, taking a bite from the bread. Chewing and swallowing before continuing. "Think it'll be an easy day or hard?"

While she waited for his reply, her eyes lifted to the skies above their camp. Small clouds had started to scud across the formerly crystal clear sky and she frowned slightly. Clouds, small clouds at that, were nothing to be too worried about. Nothing at all.

Forcing her eyes back down to her companion, her guardian, Althea smiled a little awkwardly.
"Well if the weather holds we should have a fairly pleasant walk ahead of us."
Althea fought the urge to wince. The weather. She was talking about the weather?

She needed to find something to talk about. Anything.
"So. Soren." She began, literally not a clue in her head about what she was going say, or ask, or do. "I feel like maybe we should get to know each other a little better. After all I don't really know very much about you, apart from the fact that you're a farmer and that you've taught yourself to fight a little." Another mouthful of water from the skin. "What's you family like? Brothers or sisters...? Big or small?" A genuine smile. "There's not much to tell about mine. Just my mother and me. My father passed away some years ago now. And the gods decided that just the one child was more than enough." Her expression became slightly embarrassed. "I'm sure you can agree the idea of having to put up with more than one of 'me' would have been hard work indeed!"
 
Soren was totally oblivious to the movement nearby. He was thinking of the time he and Althea had spent in the tent together after her near drowning cleansing the Lady of the River. He could still smell her, feel the heat from her body as well as the alluring softness of her body when they lay together.

"Hope this is enough for you. But if not, there's plenty more to be had."

"Thank you." Soren took the offered bowl, pausing to take a deep breath. The aroma coming from the contents was enough to get his mouth watering slightly. He got a piece of the meat, scooping up some of the preserve and popping it into his mouth before loosing any of it. He rolled the healthy dollop of the chutney over his tongue, finding the taste to be quite agreeable, as well as going well with the meat.

"The chutney came from my mother. I think she wanted to contribute something to our trip and figured that was the best she could do. And I might be biased? But it is a pretty good chutney."

Soren quickly swallowed his mouthful of food. "You have every right to be biased, Althea, she is your mother after all. But I do agree, this is quite good. My mother does preserves too, and I thought hers were the best. But I think your mother can teach mine a trick or two if this is anything to go by."

Soren took the offered water skin, taking a short sip and swirling it about his mouth to remove some of the day's travels from his mouth.

"So you said another day? Think it'll be an easy day or hard?"

He took a longer drink, to actually satisfy his thirst. He closed the skin, putting it on the ground between them.

"I'm not sure, to be honest. If the track is anything like this one, it wont be that hard. But I suspect that it has not been as well traveled so it might be a little more difficult. Anyway, we'll see come tomorrow."

He returned to his dinner, eating quicker now that he was reminded that he was hungry. He ate quickly, still going slowly enough to actually enjoy what he was eating. It felt good having something to focus on rather than Althea, and all the mixed up thoughts and feelings he had relating to her. Her mentioning of the next day's travels got him thinking about the path, what kind of troubles they could expect. According to the map, there were no water ways to cross, so that would make things easier for them. But the track could be overgrown, it may not even exist in places, which could be a problem, but then again it might not.

"Well if the weather holds we should have a fairly pleasant walk ahead of us."

"Mmmm." Soren absentmindedly agreed as he continued to process his own thoughts and eat as the same time.

"So. Soren." Soren lifted his head from his meal, letting this thoughts drift off as he shifted focus to Althea. He was immediately flooded with the memories of the last time they camped together. He tried hard to keep it from showing on his face, while he slowly shifted himself to hide the other growing evidence of his thoughts and feelings.

"I feel like maybe we should get to know each other a little better. After all I don't really know very much about you, apart from the fact that you're a farmer and that you've taught yourself to fight a little."

Althea took a drink from the skin, while Soren quickly popped in some more food.

"What's you family like? Brothers or sisters...? Big or small? There's not much to tell about mine. Just my mother and me. My father passed away some years ago now. And the gods decided that just the one child was more than enough. I'm sure you can agree the idea of having to put up with more than one of 'me' would have been hard work indeed!"

Soren chose to ignore the comment about how much hard work it would be to look after more than just her. He had gained enough wisdom to know that touching on that subject was fraught with danger. He felt certain that any compliment he made about her family would be easily turned into some insult, or means for being less that pleased with him.

"Yes, I have been teaching myself, to a point. I have received a little instruction from Master Fallon, even before the bandits first struck." That reminded him of the way the women looked in their torn clothing, especially Althea after he pulled the bandit off her and ran him through with his sword. He couldn't help the colour rising in his cheeks, but did his best to ignore it.

"As for my family, I have both my parents still, as well as an older brother. He's more true to my parents in looks and size. Both families have northmen blood in the mix, and that decided to run true for me. He's married with a son who's learning that running gets him places faster than walking, much to his mother's distress at times. I've seen her talking to my mother lately, quiet talks to the side of everyone else with hidden smiles. I'm thinking that she will be showing signs of another child soon. I'm happy for them. My brother is a good man for his family, and he will gain the stead when my father is no longer well enough to run it. But by then, my nephew may have children of his own." Soren smiled at the thought of seeing his father as a true gray beard, telling tales of life in the grand days when he was a young man with a new wife at his side.

"At least he knows what his future holds for him, and he is in a place what makes him happy. I guess the same is true with you, what with Jameth paying court. He will be one with a decent wealth to him, and able to look after... a wife well." He almost said her, but he couldn't bring himself to say it, not after the way he was with Althea the last time he saw them together. It didn't look like he was respecting her the way he grabbed her and kissed her. Not that it was his business. She wasn't Soren's in any manner, beyond being the Sindra he was a Guardian too. Plus, Jameth hadn't done anything that warranted Soren from slamming his fist in the man's face as he wanted to.

"I think he will be a good provider for his wife." He looked back at the fire, regretting that he brought up the subject of the merchant's son. Althea would most probably have something to say about the subject and her words would not be very nice to hear. He finished his meal in silence, doing his best to determine how best to salvage the mess he had made. When he finished eating, still no better off for all his thinking, he got up and walked to the river's edge, washing the bowl thoroughly. Soren made his way back to the camp, feeding the fire a little more, then going to the stack of belongings to find his bed roll, securing the packs when he was done. He took a few steps toward the effort of Althea's at putting up a tent, only to pause when he saw her bed roll already laid out. He frowned slightly before quickly glancing at Althea.

"I'm going to turn in now, Althea. Thank you for fixing dinner. It was really nice. I hope you sleep well."

He shed his armour and armaments before he entered the tent. He laid himself down, getting settled while he looked at the flickering light from campfire through the side of his tent.

"What on earth is going on?" He whispered to himself, barely loud enough for himself to hear. "She is spoken for, even if she had any feelings for me, apart from the dislike of being a farmer. She has a potentially good husband in Jameth, even if he's not worthy of her." He almost slapped a hand over his face. "Why do I care who she is being courted by? Jameth is interested in her, and she is in him. She wears a token of his, proclaiming that she finds his courtship acceptable. That is all that matters. I have women interested in me, who find me a worthy husband. I should focus my attentions properly. I am her Guardian, nothing more. And if she wants me to protect her form Jameth, then I have nothing to worry about when he is with her."

Soren rolled over, not feeling anything close to what his voiced thoughts said. He closed his eyes, cleared his mind as best he could, and allowed sleep to claim him.
 
Althea nodded, making her way through her own meal as she listened to her companion's replies about his training and his family. She often longed for siblings during her childhood. Being an only child had it's perks, she knew that, but she would have loved to see her mother have more little people to lavish with the overflowing affection she had. Loved to have had playmates and friends dearer than any she could have made within the village.

"...I'm happy for them. My brother is a good man for his family, and he will gain the stead when my father is no longer well enough to run it. But by then, my nephew may have children of his own."
Althea felt an unexpected sense of warmth at Soren's smile. It was truly happy and genuine and lit up his face in a whole new way. She found herself smiling back and almost having to look away when his eyes moved towards her.

"At least he knows what his future holds for him, and he is in a place what makes him happy. I guess the same is true with you, what with Jameth paying court. He will be one with a decent wealth to him, and able to look after... a wife well. I think he will be a good provider for his wife."
For a moment Althea didn't know quite what to say. Or do.
"I suppose you're right..." She smiled weakly. A worrying desire to point out that no formal offers of union had been made to her rising up inside. Nor that she was even certain she'd accept them if they were.

Soren finished his meal and set about clearing up the camp ready for the night, collecting his things from where they'd assembled their belongings in a sheltered spot.
"I'm going to turn in now, Althea. Thank you for fixing dinner. It was really nice. I hope you sleep well."
"Goodnight Soren." Althea smiled, watching him strip his protective garments and then slip between the flaps of his tent and out of sight.
She sat for a little while longer, watching the flames dancing as it gradually grew darker around. She made herself a tea, to try and warm herself a little as the air began to grow cooler now that the sun was long gone from view.

Eyes looked up for the stars but found none. She hoped it was that they weren't yet bright enough as opposed to be being hidden beyond clouds. She hoped.
By the time Althea had washed up her own things, built up the fire a little and headed for her own tent it was pitch black in the forest. She decided against stripping out of her dress given the wind that had started to pick up. Instead slipping into her bed roll and wrapping the blankets tightly around herself.

She wondered for a time before drifting into an uneasy sleep as to why she hadn't just admitted she needed help and gotten Soren to help her fix the tent - which was now flapping rather loudly around her as the wind steadily increased.
When she awoke some time later, she thoroughly wished she had.

The wind had built to something just below a gale and was making her whole tent sway slightly. It seemed the reason her tent pegs had been so easily pushed into the ground was because she clearly hadn't pushed them deep enough. Althea untangled herself from her bedding just as she heard the first drops of rain hitting the outer tent.
"Oh, you have got to be joking..." She growled under her breath as several drops came through the gaps in the roof to spatter her cheek.
Working quickly, she bundled up her bedding and headed towards the trees. The rain was steadily increasing as she tried to shove her bed roll into one of their packs. There was a steady stream of hisses rising up from the fire as the raindrops pelted down on it.

Satisfied she had protected her things as best she could she dashed back across the clearing towards Soren's tent. Poking her head inside with a rueful smile. She could hear his low, steady breathing.
"Soren...? Soren?" She called softly until he awoke. "I'm so sorry but it's raining and my tent...well, my tent's barely a tent and I was starting to get wet and I wondered if I could...possibly...share yours...?"
As if to emphasise her point there was a sudden, rather loud, clattering whoosh from outside which Althea knew without checking was the sound of her 'tent' collapsing.

She glanced down at herself. She wasn't really that wet, not too badly. Damp more than anything. With hair stuck to her face in places. If he said no, which he assumed he would. At least she could find shelter under a tree til it passed and then huddle up near the fire until the morning.

"I'll stay near the door and I promise you'll barely know I'm here." She smiled in the strange half light afford by the still sizzling fire outside before she laughed lightly, surprising herself.
"Why is it I always seem to end up wet around you...?"
 
It felt like his eyes had only just closed when he heard his name being called. He made a bleary sound as he lifted his head up to look at the opening to his tent. He barely made out the shape of a person.

"Althea?" His voice was thick with sleep.

"I'm so sorry but it's raining and my tent...well, my tent's barely a tent and I was starting to get wet and I wondered if I could...possibly...share yours...?"

There was a loud sound from outside his tent, that even mostly asleep, he knew it was the tent that Althea attempted to put up being blown over. He allowed his head to drop back, chiding himself for not doing something about it. He knew the reason; she wouldn't have accepted his help, or would have complained if he ignored her complaints. But because he had done nothing, she would need to stay in his tent. Again.

"I'll stay near the door and I promise you'll barely know I'm here." To his surprise, he heard her laugh softly. That got him raising his head again.

"Why is it I always seem to end up wet around you...?"

"When did you get wet with the bandits? Or shouldn't I ask?" His head dropped back down again. "Find somewhere comfortable to sleep, I don't care where. Good night, Althea."

Soren tried to get back to sleep, but he was acutely aware of Althea's presence in his tent. He could smell her, which he found a little disturbing, even if they were in an enclosed space. Further, he found her scent to be very appealing in a rather uncomfortable way. He felt like there was some fast connection between his nose and his nethers because he felt himself growing hard rather quickly. On top of that he could hear her, more more correctly the rustle of her clothing. Which was good, in a way, since then he didn't have to deal with her being naked near him again. He frowned over that. He liked looking at her naked. He almost groaned at how foolish he felt at that.

'Of course I liked looking at her naked. She has a great body and why the hell am I thinking about it. She doesn't want him to see her naked. Gods, it wasn't like the last time she did it deliberately. And I didn't look that much. I tried not looking at all, but... Soren, you're a fool. Let it go, she's not interested in you. If she was, she wouldn't be wearing Jameth's token.'

Soren felt frustrated with himself over his strange thoughts about the Sindra he was meant to protect. But he kept getting the thoughts and feelings that he was better for her than Jameth, or anyone else. He gave a small shake of his head, and tried once more to find sleep. With the weather the way it was, he had strong feelings that it was going to be a tough day following.
 
Last edited:
"When did you get wet with the bandits? Or shouldn't I ask?...Find somewhere comfortable to sleep, I don't care where. Good night, Althea."
"Sorry Soren..." Althea whispered, staying where she was until she was sure he'd settled back down.
Biting her lower lip she slipped into the tent, making sure the close the flap behind her to keep the inclement weather outside, and knelt down near the door.
Instinct, and something else, made her want to crawl a little deeper inside and lay beside Soren. She knew she'd be safe and warm near him but she also knew she shouldn't and so she made herself as comfortable as she could near the door. She'd brought her cloak with her and, wrapping it around herself she laid down to sleep.

She slept fitfully. Every so often the wind would disturb her and then the low rumble of Soren's breathing would keep her awake. She found herself slowing her own breathing to hear it better. He rolled over at one point, nudging where her where she was dozing and causing her look over to where he lay. His features were relaxed in the dim light and looking at them, at him, made her smile. A fact which made her tear her eyes away and force them shut. She shouldn't be looking and she certainly shouldn't be smiling about it.

Dawn came within what felt moments of Althea's eventual slip into sleep. Birdsong roused her and, wanting to make amends for disturbing Soren's rest, she crept out of the tent to make breakfast for them both.
As she stepped out into the fresh morning air it seemed there had been quite the storm overnight. The ground was boggy and soft underfoot. To try and limit the dirtying of her skirts, she tucked them into the thin belt that ran around her waist, causing the bottom hem to rise up above her ankles and hopefully stay clear of most of the mud. The sky was now clear blue and the sun was rising. It looked like another promising day was beginning.

The fire was almost out, embers surrounded by ashen puddles but it was still going. She scraped away most of the damp material and, using a little dry kindling soon brought it back to life. Damp wood hissing and smoking as she started to collect the things she would need for their meal.
Althea checked their packs and was relieved to find her bedding and the rest of their belongings were dry within their packs. Although Sylea looked rather bedraggled and pathetic.

"Sorry you had to stand out in it all." She scratched the horse's nose. "I'll see if I can find you something yummy to munch on..." She smiled.
Heading back out into the clearing she sighed at the heap of sodden fabric that had been her 'tent'. She should have asked for Soren's help. She shouldn't have gotten upset about things that did not concern her. What Soren did, or with who, was none of her business. That it upset her to think of him with others was something she needed to try and get over, and soon.

Soon a small pan of porridge was steaming on a rock beside the merrily burning, and no longer smoking, fire and water was boiling ready for tea. She poured it out and, once the leaves had steeped and infused with a blend of refreshing and energising herbs, she carefully carried a cupful over to Soren's tent and after kicking her mud caked boots off, she slipped inside.

"Soren...?" She crept deeper into the tent than she had the night before, kneeling down close beside where his head lay and leaning down a little to allow her to keep her voice soft and hopefully not shock him into waking. "Soren, it's morning. Time to wake up. I've brought you some tea and there's porridge cooling outside."
She shuffled a little closer.
"Soren? Soren, the sun's rising, it's time to get up."
 
Soren slept, he knew that much, because he knew that Althea had not been with him at the last celebration at the stead. Neither had she walked out in the quiet places away from the dining hall, and proved her interest in him... three times. And she certainly didn't use her mouth so skillfully on him twice, bring him to his pleasure on each occasion. But he had been very, very pleased that she had, for she had done better than the other two who had done so to him.

He snapped his eyes open, glancing around the tent to find it empty, and the birds singing. His hand went to feel himself, relieved to find it was secured within his clothes and completely dry. He removed his hand, and clapped it over his eyes, groaning softly at the power of the dream he had during the night.

"Gods, why do I keep thinking of her in this way. She's interested in another man. She wears his token openly. It is wrong to think of her like that." Again, his mind returned to the night they shared their tent when Althea almost drowned healing the Lady of the River. How soft she felt close to his body. The warmth that came from being so close to another person. But he clearly remembered the easiest that it was so comfortable to lay beside her as he had. The pair of them were almost completely naked, which was rather bad of them to be like that. Alone and not really having any pledge between them.

Soren laid in a doze, just awake enough to be aware of his immediate surrounds, but the rest of his mind was wandering through many different thoughts, feelings ideas and topics. He didn't try to control or direct his thoughts, he just let them come and go as they would. There seemed to be nothing in common to pull them all together, save they were in his head.

The faint aromas of breakfast start to build enough to be noticed, which also made his stomach start to complain. He rolled onto his side, facing the edge of the tent do he could massage a knot in his back.

"Soren...?"

He could smell the tea that Althea brought in with her, which is why he remained still, and didn't speak to her as she approached. The last thing he wanted to start his day with was a shower of very hot tea. He felt her get down closer to the ground, and what he thought was her kneeling closer to his head.

"Soren, it's morning. Time to wake up. I've brought you some tea and there's porridge cooling outside."

Soren smiled, since he was already awake. He was about to turn his head to face her when he heard her soft voice once more.

"Soren? Soren, the sun's rising, it's time to get up."

"Yes, Althea, I am awake." He turned his head further, and to his surprise, and shock, the first thing he saw was Althea's cleavage impressively close and impossible to avoid gazing into. He gaze was drawn into the growing darkness that formed in the middle of it, as if sucked into a black hole.

"Sun? Sunlight. Yes, light." Soren broke his gaze from looking at something that was not polite for him to look at, instead focusing on her face. He knew his face was bright red as he gazed into her eyes, smiling warmly while trying to shunt aide the images of his dreams as well as what he had just stared at.

"Good morning, Althea. Thank you for the tea." He reached up rather awkwardly to take the offered drink. "I'll join you outside shortly." He tried to keep his smile natural, and not forced, until he took a sip from the tea. He waited patiently for Althea to go back outside to check on breakfast before he did anything else.

When he was alone, he placed the tea on the ground, and rolled onto his back with a groan. Both hands covered his face as he felt the embarrassment wash over him.

"Gods, there was no way Althea would have missed that. What much she think of me staring at her like that? Would she think I don't care for her as a person, or as the Sindra that I am to guard? That I only have base thoughts for her?" He spent a few minutes breathing into his hands, then turned his attention to the tea, draining it in one long drink.

Soren crawled out of his tent, and immediately got himself dressed and girded for fighting while he looked about the camp. He spotted the remains of Althea's attempt to make a tent, and walked over to dismantle it. He wasn't sure if he would just do it himself the next time, or show her how it was done. Neither course of action seemed to be better than the other for the best way to reduce the risk of being given unfriendly words. He dismissed the thoughts and worked on taking the failed tent apart, drying off the canvas as best as possible before it had to be packed away for travel. The rest was wiped down and packed away so there would be one less thing to worry about when it was time to leave.

With Althea's tent dealt with, Soren went to work on his own. In short order, he had everything pulled down and packed away in readiness for their departure. He used the time to get his thoughts under control, and let his body calm down from the dreams and other naughty thoughts he had been having about Althea. By the time he had finished all he could, he felt himself safe to approach his traveling companion.

He avoided the worst of the mud on the ground as he found a safe spot to sit down near Althea.

"Thank you for the tea, Althea. It was what I needed to greet the day. With good fortune, we still may be able to make it to the tower, or ruins or whatever may be there.. If not, then I expect there will be one more sleep before we make it there.

"How did you sleep last night? Well enough?"
 
"Yes, Althea, I am awake."

Althea watched him turn over and opened her mouth bid him good morning when she saw his eye line falter somewhere below her face for several long moments. She frowned slightly in confusion before glancing down and realising how her knelt position had affected the neckline, and contents, of her dress.

"Sun? Sunlight. Yes, light." Her cheeks were pink when his eyes suddenly met hers and she struggled to think of a reply straight away.

"Good morning, Althea. Thank you for the tea. I'll join you outside shortly."
"...you're welcome..." She managed to reply, a little tightly with a rather weak smile before shuffling back out of the tent and into the sunlight. She shakily forced her feet back into her boots and squelched back over to the fire.

"He's a man. They think in strange ways at times." She murmured, poking the fire a little more vigorously than was probably necessary with a stick. "That's all. Nothing more than that." She nodded, her eyes stealing back to Soren's tent before she forced them back to the flames and picked up her own mug of tea.

That he'd been looking at her chest was not what made her feel anxious. It was that she didn't entirely mind, that she would have let him look longer if he'd wanted...touch, if he'd...
"Oh what on earth is wrong with me?" Althea set her mug down and left the fire. A need to do something, anything, to keep her mind from the subject. Away from thinking of Soren's eyes and hands and lips and...

Althea growled as she rifled through one of the packs to find the few ingredients she'd need to make some flatbreads. She figured they could nibble them on the journey, and the kneading might help calm her mind. She set a large flat stone close to the fire to heat up as she combined the flour, herbs and water together in a bowl. Soon she was focused on the task at hand and by the time Soren appeared by the fire she had a small stack of breads cooling and waiting to be wrapped and repacked in one of their bags

"Thank you for the tea, Althea. It was what I needed to greet the day. With good fortune, we still may be able to make it to the tower, or ruins or whatever may be there.. If not, then I expect there will be one more sleep before we make it there."
"You're welcome and that sounds promising. Even with the rain? From what I've seen everywhere looks pretty boggy but perhaps the sun will dry things out as the day progresses."

"How did you sleep last night? Well enough?"
"Not too badly," She smiled as much as she dared. "And you...? Sorry to have disturbed you like I did. I think next time I should let you set up the tents, or at least ask you what I need to do in order to do it myself." She laughed softly.

"But before we head off this morning, I have a rather strange request to make." Althea coughed delicately. "Given that we don't know what the path might be like ahead and given how much of a pain this is..." Both hands grabbed at the full skirts of her dress and shook them at him for a moment. "I wondered if I might borrow some of your clothes? I just think trousers might prove easier for me to walk in that these silly dresses."
Her cheeks pinked a little.
"You can always say no I just...figured it might be better if I wasn't going to be weighed down by several yards of mud soaked fabric given how slow I am already!" She laughed.

She knew from her brief investigation of the packs that morning that he had at least one spare shirt and a spare pair of trousers. They'd be more than a little large and long for her, she knew that, but she could use the belt from her dress and with some creative folds and tucks she was sure she could make them into something functional without having to resort to actually tailoring them permanently.

She also knew that women didn't wear such things. They didn't. At least, not in the village. She wasn't sure but she doubted they did on the Steads either. What if Soren didn't understand her logic and was just horrified that she'd want to wear such masculine clothing. She chewed her lip slightly, wondering all of a sudden if her bright idea wasn't so bright after all. Pulling a clean piece of fabric from one of the pack she started to wrap up the flat breads, except for two, and placing them safely inside. Offering one of the remaining ones to Soren along with his bowl of porridge. Meeting his eyes and feeling another wave of embarrassment.

Whatever must he think of her?

And why did she care so much?

"We should eat, before it gets cold." She took up her own bowl and took a rather large spoonful. Anything to stop her mouth from talking and making things even worse.
 
Soren hadn't noticed Althea doing extra cooking while he was wandering about the campsite. But the stack of bread that she had cooked looked like they would take the ease of hunger during their travels, between meals.

"You're welcome and that sounds promising. Even with the rain? From what I've seen everywhere looks pretty boggy but perhaps the sun will dry things out as the day progresses."

"Even if it is a little boggy, we'll still make good time, I believe.The soil around here drains well after a good rain."

At his question about her sleep, she replied with a smile, and a little laugh. "Not too badly. And you...? Sorry to have disturbed you like I did. I think next time I should let you set up the tents, or at least ask you what I need to do in order to do it myself."

"Well, you gave it a try, and I should have fixed it for you before I went to sleep. When I put up the tents again, you can come and help, and learn a little more about how to do it. If nothing else, they will be erected quicker."

"But before we head off this morning, I have a rather strange request to make. Given that we don't know what the path might be like ahead and given how much of a pain this is... I wondered if I might borrow some of your clothes? I just think trousers might prove easier for me to walk in that these silly dresses."

Soren paused for a moment, trying to bring forth the image of Althea dressed in such a manner. As the moments stretched into an ever longer time period, he gave up on the useless endeavour. He pursed his lips and frowned before his expression return to something close to normal.

"You can always say no I just...figured it might be better if I wasn't going to be weighed down by several yards of mud soaked fabric given how slow I am already!"

"I see no reason why not. Maybe before our next time away, we can get you a farmer's dress or maybe some robes. That should make it easier to move around in rougher places than the village street. Let me find some for you." He went to the packs, and easily dug out his spare shirt and pants, and brought them back to Althea. "Let me know when you want to get changed, and I will have a look at the track that we will be using to see how bad it is."

He sat himself down, trying to ignore the attempt to imagine what she would like like dressed in that manner. To be able to know where her legs were, and what their shape would be like was... too much to think about. But she had a point that it would be more useful to walk in the something other than a dress made for walking about the streets of a village.

Althea handed him the porridge, along with one of the breads she had cooked. He thanked her with a murmur, catching an odd look on her face, but not really noticing enough to get any idea of what it was. He shrugged and focused on eating.

"We should eat, before it gets cold."

Soren responded by holding up the bowl while he shoveled a large amount into his mouth. He ate quickly so he could finish packing and get Sylea loaded up. As promised, Soren wandered away from their camp site, though he stayed within Althea's sight, and looked away while she changed. He had seen her naked once, and displaying more that was morally right on a few other occasions. He wanted to look at her again; to see her skin, the lush ripeness of her breasts and the wonderful way her hips flared from her waist. But he behaved and kept his eyes from her, no matter how many times his head started to turn her way.

When he finally heard she was ready, Soren turned and stopped where he stood, staring and gaping at the sight before him.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top