Corsets

Loverskitten

I bite
I wear them recreationally and have many "good" corsets. I was considering starting some waist training but in my research (and my try at being corsetted around the house today) I don't think I have the commitment and discipline it takes.

I got lost in the Fet group, so much info! I could be reading the stickies for weeks. But many of the threads are old or redundant.

Anyone do this? I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'm also curious do your results stay if you stop corsetting or does it go back?

Last edited:
Well I have no knowledge of corset training but I sure do find them sexy as hell so I'm curious to see how this thread plays out. Ohh and I. Wouldn't be offended if ya showed some pics of these corsets of yours.:D

I love wearing corsets! They make me feel really classy and at the same time sexual :heart:

I love wearing them too, but casual wear vs. training is like comparing the casual jogger to the marathon runner. They're such different things.
I hope to hear from someone with waist training experience.

Aren't corsets dangerous? I think the women wore them in Victorian times but now it seems to have become a fetish. Not knocking those who are into this kind of thing though.

I tight-laced for a few years a while back, but it became impractical to keep up.

LISA (Long Island Staylace Association) was the resource I used the most. I believe LiveJournal had a good corsetry community, too.

Tight-lacing will change your wardrobe, how you stand, sit, function (do housework), eat, drive, etc. Over the course of a year-ish, I got from a natural waist of 29-30, to a tight-laced waist of 25 3/8". After the first few months, I was in the corset 23/7 (took it off for nightly baths), and only loosened it about 2" to sleep.

No more carbonated beverages. No more jeans. No more gardening (at least I found it too difficult). Housework may become a ginormous PITA. Summers suck (I was living in Memphis at the time.) Using the bathroom can get interesting.

You'll buy a corset 4" smaller than your natural waist, then gradually tighten it (over months) until it closes. Then you buy a new one 4" smaller than that, lather/rinse/repeat.

Loved the feel... ultimately disliked the challenges. And yes, your figure does return to "normal" once you quit. ;)

Aren't corsets dangerous? I think the women wore them in Victorian times but now it seems to have become a fetish. Not knocking those who are into this kind of thing though.

Nope; not any more dangerous than most other things (as long as one is properly educated).

mmm. interesting. Okay. So there is an education course on the proper way to wear corsets?

mmm. interesting. Okay. So there is an education course on the proper way to wear corsets?

The entire.fucking.internet. is full of resources. There are books on Amazon dedicated to the history of corsetry, it's construction, and impact on health. There are entire communities (online and off) who pass on knowledge. Youtube videos explaining how to tight-lace. There are professional coursettiers who spend decades learning to design and create custom corsets. Amazon has entire books on pattern drafting for corsetry; they're some of the most expensive fashion design books published.

You do realize that period plays, films, etc use REAL corsets during production? c19 French corsets tend to sell for thousands of dollars at auction? A well designed [custom] corset, from a reputable corsettier will start around $300-$500. The best ones are closer to the $800-$1000 range.

Corsetry is alive and well in the 21st century, fetish community or not.

Thanks CM, for sharing your story.
It certainly seems like the outcome (in the long run) isn't worth the process.
This recent 20/20 story makes it seem easier to get down a couple inches.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/video?id=17469255

Usually when I'm wearing one, it's for a night out, and the drinking helps with the pain. Same thing with the shoes I wear. Suffer for fashion...

Thanks CM, for sharing your story.
It certainly seems like the outcome (in the long run) isn't worth the process.
This recent 20/20 story makes it seem easier to get down a couple inches.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/video?id=17469255

Usually when I'm wearing one, it's for a night out, and the drinking helps with the pain. Same thing with the shoes I wear. Suffer for fashion...

If you feel pain, you aren't doing it right - going too tight, too fast. I wouldn't advise trying to "go down" more than an inch or inch and a half (on the extreme end), if it's just for a night out.

Corsets are comfortable as hell 95% of the time [if worn carefully and cautiously]. I think Etoile used to tight-lace too; maybe she'll see the thread.

If you feel pain, you aren't doing it right - going too tight, too fast. I wouldn't advise trying to "go down" more than an inch or inch and a half (on the extreme end), if it's just for a night out.

Corsets are comfortable as hell 95% of the time [if worn carefully and cautiously]. I think Etoile used to tight-lace too; maybe she'll see the thread.

I've never been able to wear mine for extended periods because it's just totally impractical for my job.

I do tight-lace when I wear them. Over the course of 8 years I'm down to about 4-4.5 inches smaller. I've never had pain from them, except for the ones that were not made for tight lacing.

My posture has developed so well that when my physical therapist told me to slouch so that he could get a measurement, he had to push me down into a slouch position. A friend complains that I drive with a broom stick up my ass because I keep the seat at as close to a 90 degree position as possible. And it's helped with reminding myself to not bend at the waist to lift things (especially now with the back injury)

I've also found them very helpful to keep correct posture when I'm going to be sitting for hours in front of my sewing machine.

I love my corsets.

Well, I'm probably lacing too tightly during my occasional wear. I have no patience. Also I think I don't wear my good ones enough to break them in, only one (the one I wear most often) has my body's curves when I take it off and it's the most comfortable. I bet it's best to wear a corset around the house a bit before wearing it out.
It does feel so good when I take them off. My mom used to have a saying "Why are you banging your head against a wall, because it feels so good when you stop?" (not about corsets though, I don't think she ever had one)
One 23/7er on Fet, said it hurt like crazy to be out of her corset. Interesting.

Last edited:
I do feel things shift when I take mine off. I wouldn't say it hurts, sometimes I enjoy it, but most of the time it just is.

Have you tried a waist cincher? they are a bit easier to move around in, but don't give quite the same support. They do keep your curve curvy though. If you don't want to commit to wearing a corset all of the time, maybe you can wear a cincher to keep inching in?

Now I haven't done the research like Miss Mouse, so you might want to get some opinions on that before diving in there.

CM took pretty much everything out of my mouth. Tight-laced for a while a few years back, had to stop, used LISA and the corsetry community on LJ, etc. :)

Ya know, when I was pregnant (long ago) my ribs spread a few inches and stayed that way, so I thought if you constrict them, they would stay too. I guess that's not the case. Oh...bodies.
Thanks for your posts. I won't be waist training, but I find it very interesting.

Just wanted to say I found this thread to be very educational and intelligent. Thank you for the constructive discussion. I learned something new today. :)

I love corsets, and I often incorporate them in my writing. Notably, I just learned a new phrase from this thread, to "tight lace," so thanks for that!

I certainly love a tight corset: how the enclosed structure improves my posture and cinches my waist. It's sexy as hell when I have someone who can adjust my laces, help me tie-up or simply ensure that I remain breathless in my tight corset during play

Next to high heels, corsets are the sexiest articles of clothing that I own. :heart:

I'm ashamed to admit that I have never played with corsets before... I think I've had one sub that was interested, and she only lasted one night. They are a beautiful piece of woman's wear design wise, and I could see several BDSM uses for them. It would be intriguing to find another sub that was interested in them, so I could use them in play.

I wear them recreationally and have many "good" corsets. I was considering starting some waist training but in my research (and my try at being corsetted around the house today) I don't think I have the commitment and discipline it takes.

I got lost in the Fet group, so much info! I could be reading the stickies for weeks. But many of the threads are old or redundant.

Anyone do this? I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'm also curious do your results stay if you stop corsetting or does it go back?
You probably already know this, but having a corset made for you is the only way to go if you're into waist-training.

And they're not expensive, if you're making them yourself. :D

Not to mention, if you become really good at making them...can you say Etsy store?

Noms for ponderances.

You probably already know this, but having a corset made for you is the only way to go if you're into waist-training.

And they're not expensive, if you're making them yourself. :D

Not to mention, if you become really good at making them...can you say Etsy store?

Noms for ponderances.

Making corsets is a labor of love that not every one enjoys.

I know. ;)

It also takes some research if you're going to use and/or sell them for waist training. Most people aren't into that kind of work.

Making corsets is a labor of love that not every one enjoys.

I know. ;)

It also takes some research if you're going to use and/or sell them for waist training. Most people aren't into that kind of work.
I guess not. I love it, though.

I guess selling would be a huge time investment. *nods*

Oh yeah, that's way beyond my expertise of sewing. It takes a very skilled seamstress a long time, I'd never even attempt it.

Most of my good corsets are from Versatile Fashions, back when the original owner used to have everything hand made in shop. Sadly, now, they have their corsets made in China.
My first few I actually came upon at a storage auction lot. Got them for an amazing deal, years ago.
I'm sad to say their quality has suffered with the change of ownership.

Back