Get in Shape

AlmostLike

Experienced
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Posts
75
I am wondering if there are any dieticians or personal trainers on here that wouldn't mind using their experience and knowledge to help me (others) to get back into shape.

I would like to lose 80 lbs and detox from sugar and all the unhealthy choices I have made over my lifetime.

As I have turned 40, I am concerned about my lack of energy, my heart, my high blood pressure.

I am not looking for medical advice per se, but simple things I can start and motivation/accountability to help me reach my goals.
 
I'm no dietitian but I have taken (and passed) medical nutrition courses as well as weight-control classes. Here are some basics:

* Eat less; walk more; drink lots of water.
* Don't count calories but be aware of them in proteins, fats, carbs.
* Turn eating into a ritual, not a chore or pastime.
* Be conscious of everything that enters your mouth.
* Carbs are what you burn off with exercise.
* Don't tru fancy diets. EAT MORE FIBER. Beans and apples are your friends.
* Running is hard on older knees. Walk, swim, bicycle; do low-impact stuff.

Fitness requires attitude. "If ya don't really wanna, ya ain't gonna." Do not try; *do*. Visualize and realize the changes in your life. Don't set goals; live them.

There ya have it. Fresh fruit and water, much walking and swimming, think constructive thoughts, and mold yourself into the person you wish to be.
 
I'm no dietitian but I have taken (and passed) medical nutrition courses as well as weight-control classes. Here are some basics:

* Eat less; walk more; drink lots of water.
* Don't count calories but be aware of them in proteins, fats, carbs.
* Turn eating into a ritual, not a chore or pastime.
* Be conscious of everything that enters your mouth.
* Carbs are what you burn off with exercise.
* Don't tru fancy diets. EAT MORE FIBER. Beans and apples are your friends.
* Running is hard on older knees. Walk, swim, bicycle; do low-impact stuff.

Fitness requires attitude. "If ya don't really wanna, ya ain't gonna." Do not try; *do*. Visualize and realize the changes in your life. Don't set goals; live them.

There ya have it. Fresh fruit and water, much walking and swimming, think constructive thoughts, and mold yourself into the person you wish to be.


These are, generally, very good guidelines. I would add these:

1. Eat real food. Chips, crackers, cookies, soda -- these things are processed food, full of useless carbs. If you want to lose weight, get them out of your diet. Minimize junk in your diet; it will make a difference.

2. I don't quite agree about running. That's true for some, but not all. I run and never have had knee problems. It's a matter of your personal physiology. Choose the activities you like to do best and do them regularly to burn calories and build muscle.

3. Incorporate strength training in your plan. Use barbells, dumbbells, bodyweight exercises like squats, pushups, planks, whatever. Don't just do aerobic activities. After a few weeks of strength training you will feel the benefits.
 
Given your symptoms (lack of energy, high blood pressure, overweight) I would suggest exploring whether or not you have sleep apnea. While there are a lot of things that can cause your symptoms, Apnea is known to contribute to all of those, and to make it much more difficult to lose weight.

For starters you can ask your sleep partner if you snore excessively, or seek out a sleep specialist.
 
Myfitnesspal or Fitbit can help you track your food and movement.

Add friends on these and set goals to challenge yourself.
 
Play college soccer. My daughter eats anything and she loses weight. She has a gps monitor during practice and they run about 6 miles during a workout. If you can't make a college soccer team then I'm out of ideas.
 
Given your symptoms (lack of energy, high blood pressure, overweight) I would suggest exploring whether or not you have sleep apnea. While there are a lot of things that can cause your symptoms, Apnea is known to contribute to all of those, and to make it much more difficult to lose weight.

For starters you can ask your sleep partner if you snore excessively, or seek out a sleep specialist.

Oh, I snore... and snore and snore.
 
It kinda sounds like you're asking dietitians and personal trainers to do their job for free. Have you been to see them professionally?
 
I'll second Miles' advice. Personally, I think a systemic approach is best. An Md can discuss ways to help you be effective and successful, including discussing a diet that is right for you given your current health. You can pick and choose fad diets from the Internet, but the odds are against you.

Oh, I snore... and snore and snore.
Apnea is also known to lower testosterone. If you can afford to see a sleep specialist, that would be a good start.
 
Speaking of health and fitness....

When you wank does your Fitbit register each stroke as a step?

Asking for a friend.


Is this friend wondering why all your 'walking' happens in the wee hours of the morning.


Seriously though, I think it depends on the length of your 'stride'.
 
My fitbit accused me of Prancercising. :(



happy-prancing.gif
 
But, my FitBit is probably a little different than yours...



New-product---Fitbit-probe.jpg


*Most accurate body temperature reading available!
 
9,993


9,994


9,995


9,996


9,997


9,998


9,999


10,000 - UUUUUHHHNNNNNGGGGGGGAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!



*toes curl*​




*jerky spasms*​
 
When it comes to the exercise side of things try a lot of different types of exercise til you find one or two you enjoy. Consider joining a gym that offers classes so you can be led through your work out by a professional and maybe make friends. Compete with yourself, try to focus on doing better than last time but be understanding when you aren't.
 
Try eating less at night. For me, I eat a normal lunch with lots of protein, carbs, and fat. But for dinner, I eat something small. Sometimes leftover lunch. Or I like eating granola cereal, with some trail mix added, and almost milk (same as my breakfast).

this is a slow process, don't starve and deprive yourself or else you'll be miserable. cut back gradually

As for exercise, try different running routines. The thing about running for weight loss is that your body adapts to it. So some days go for long jogs, other days go up hills, other days try running faster.
 
Join a good CrossFit gym. It will have all the advice you need about diet and exercise, and the members will provide plenty of support and encouragement.
 
My husband and I are also trying to get in better shape, so we have switched to brown rice, whole wheat bread and eating more vegetables, walking after work. It took us time to fit it in, but after about two weeks, it became something we had to do.

Nice posts and very helpful
 
Back
Top