Crochet Help

MeekMe

Literotica Guru
Hopefully there's someone who knows what they're doing enough to explain this to me. I've done these stitches in other projects, but for some reason it isn't adding up. I've never made anything that has armholes, so maybe it's different?

I'm working on a vest and I'm having trouble getting my decrease rows right. For the sc2tog the special instructions read: draw up a loop in next sc, skip ch-1 space, draw up a loop in next sc, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.

It didn't add up, so I did it the normal way and got the right count of sc at the end. So, I'm confused. After getting my 26sc, what do I do? I've been putting my work down, doing other things and picking it up hoping it'll just come to me. It hasn't and I need some guidance!

Row 1: Turn, slip stitch across first 2 sc and ch-1 space, slip st in next sc, ch 1, sc in same sc, *ch 1, skip ch-1 space, sc in next sc; repeat from across to last ch-1 space, leave ch-1 space and last 2 sc unworked – 28 (31, 35, 42, 45, 50) sc.
Decrease Row: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, work to last 3 sts sc2tog – 26 (29, 33, 40, 43, 48) sc.
Repeat Decrease Row every row 2 (2, 3, 4, 4, 6) times – 22 (25, 27, 32, 35, 36) sc.
Work until Armhole measures 61⁄2 (7, 71⁄2, 8, 81⁄2, 9)”, end with a wrong side row.

For more reference here's the whole pattern.

What are you ending up with when you follow the instructions? Are you short, or are you over? Did you remember to include the chain 1 stitch? The full instructions read chain 1, sc2tog, work to last 3 sts. If you are short you may be accidentally forgetting the chain 1 step.

Anyway I tried this on my own with some pictures to help show you the sc2tog. I didn't start with chain 1 so please forgive me for that error, but I did show you how it should look at the very end with the chain 1 stitch.

Step 1 (Drawing up first Loop)
Step 2 (First loop drawn up with hook in second two loops from first loop)
Step 3 (Two loops drawn up with first starting loop to show three loops total. Yarn over at this point and draw through all three loops)
Step 4 (Completed sc2tog)
Step 5 (sc2tog with chain 1)

What are you ending up with when you follow the instructions? Are you short, or are you over? Did you remember to include the chain 1 stitch? The full instructions read chain 1, sc2tog, work to last 3 sts. If you are short you may be accidentally forgetting the chain 1 step.

Anyway I tried this on my own with some pictures to help show you the sc2tog. I didn't start with chain 1 so please forgive me for that error, but I did show you how it should look at the very end with the chain 1 stitch.

Step 1 (Drawing up first Loop)
Step 2 (First loop drawn up with hook in second two loops from first loop)
Step 3 (Two loops drawn up with first starting loop to show three loops total. Yarn over at this point and draw through all three loops)
Step 4 (Completed sc2tog)
Step 5 (sc2tog with chain 1)

You're a genius and I love you!!! :heart::heart::heart:

It was coming out so weird because I wasn't putting in ch1. I feel ridiculous. This looks much better. And thank you for such great photos. (*^_^*)

I have to admit I was hasty in doing this project. I have a habit of glossing over tiny details in the instructions.

May I ask you for help in the future?

You're a genius and I love you!!! :heart::heart::heart:

It was coming out so weird because I wasn't putting in ch1. I feel ridiculous. This looks much better. And thank you for such great photos. (*^_^*)

I have to admit I was hasty in doing this project. I have a habit of glossing over tiny details in the instructions.

May I ask you for help in the future?

Sure thing! I'm happy to help :D

Oh, I think I may have forgone a step in your instructions as well. The chain 1 step is at the start of the row then it says to turn and sc2tog to last 3 sts and then sc2tog again. I am used to doing a chain 1 after decreases so I don't know if that makes a difference in this pattern. I can't tell without having to do the entire pattern myself. I misread this like you did. It's a common error, I think. Knowing how to read the pattern is the biggest battle.

Oh, I think I may have forgone a step in your instructions as well. The chain 1 step is at the start of the row then it says to turn and sc2tog to last 3 sts and then sc2tog again. I am used to doing a chain 1 after decreases so I don't know if that makes a difference in this pattern. I can't tell without having to do the entire pattern myself. I misread this like you did. It's a common error, I think. Knowing how to read the pattern is the biggest battle.

No good. No matter what I do it doesn't seem to be right. It looks a little off where I'm doing the sc2tog. Putting the ch1 after the tog seems to look better. I think my counts are off though. I think I need to start back at row 1. I've been doing the decrease row over and over, each time trying it a little different. Maybe if I back up and do row 1 over I can get a better grasp of what needs to happen.

I will keep trying. :)

Sometimes instructions aren't clear enough, or they're wrong. Sometimes doing research on a particular stitch or pattern is helpful.

Sometimes instructions aren't clear enough, or they're wrong. Sometimes doing research on a particular stitch or pattern is helpful.

You're right, and I've done that. f^_^; At this point, I think I'm just going to go with the best looking option and hope I can matchup my pieces. I kept thinking that maybe the pattern has a mistake, but I am not confident in my ability, so it's probably me.

You're right, and I've done that. f^_^; At this point, I think I'm just going to go with the best looking option and hope I can matchup my pieces. I kept thinking that maybe the pattern has a mistake, but I am not confident in my ability, so it's probably me.

Have you googled videos for this issue? There are some good instructional videos on knitting and crochet. When I've had problems with instructions, it's usually a matter of being new to something and to the instructions being confusing. I don't have my crochet hooks any longer since my last move or I would try to do the stitches to see what the issue is.

Good luck!

Thanks LadyVer, this was a last option kind of thing after looking for written and video instructions, lol. I'm starting to think it's the pattern.

Bailadora, that chart would be real nice right now. ;) I'd settle for a picture of the back of the vest, if I could see it I could figure it out. I usually need something to compare so I know I'm doing it right.

:sigh: maybe I'm doing it right and it's supposed to look all jacked up. (。-_-。)

After all the frustration, I decided on some instant gratification. This worked up quick and easy and allowed me to use some supplies I haven't touched in awhile. I'll start the vest and let you know if I figure it out. I'll post pictures. In the mean time, perhaps we can open up this thread for questions and resource sharing. :D

tumblr_n9qq5rLrQ21tiax8yo1_1280.png

I found the pattern here.

After all the frustration, I decided on some instant gratification. This worked up quick and easy and allowed me to use some supplies I haven't touched in awhile. I'll start the vest and let you know if I figure it out. I'll post pictures. In the mean time, perhaps we can open up this thread for questions and resource sharing. :D

tumblr_n9qq5rLrQ21tiax8yo1_1280.png

I found the pattern here.

Very nice!

I was looking at your pattern again today, and I don't know if you have figured everything out by now but I noticed something that might be important for your stitch count. In the previous row before your first decrease it says to leave the last 3 sts (ch 1 and 2 sc) unworked. The count for that row if you are making the size small is 28 sts. If you work through the decrease each sc2tog should cause a loss of one stitch.

This pattern is rather confusing to me. Not very clear at all but you will have to let me know if things worked out in the end. I find myself editing patterns sometimes if I don't think something is going to work...

I was looking at your pattern again today, and I don't know if you have figured everything out by now but I noticed something that might be important for your stitch count. In the previous row before your first decrease it says to leave the last 3 sts (ch 1 and 2 sc) unworked. The count for that row if you are making the size small is 28 sts. If you work through the decrease each sc2tog should cause a loss of one stitch.

This pattern is rather confusing to me. Not very clear at all but you will have to let me know if things worked out in the end. I find myself editing patterns sometimes if I don't think something is going to work...

Thanks! I'll give it a try. You're right about this pattern not bring very clear. I'll try again soon.

Another moment where I feel I have so much to learn.:eek: Those instructions look like html - I'm sure I can figure it.... and Xmas isn't so far away.

Muuum :)

Ok, started the cutest little fox hat for my cousin's daughter. Things were going well until round 12:

Round 12-13: Repeat Round 9, but switch to white after the third decrease and work with that yarn, carrying the MC, to the stitch before the next decrease. You will have to attach the new color every round. Finish the round in the main color, attach white at the end.

I've never worked with carrying a color, but I looked up some tutorials and I think I understand the concept. But what I don't understand is what to do with the white after I switch back to the MC. Do I fasten it off? Carry it to the end of the round? I'm totally lost here. Suggestions?

Full pattern found here, for reference.

Ok, started the cutest little fox hat for my cousin's daughter. Things were going well until round 12:

I've never worked with carrying a color, but I looked up some tutorials and I think I understand the concept. But what I don't understand is what to do with the white after I switch back to the MC. Do I fasten it off? Carry it to the end of the round? I'm totally lost here. Suggestions?

Full pattern found here, for reference.

It seems that in the instructions it says you will carry the MC, but will have to reattach the new color each row. That's what I got out of it. So I think you have to fasten off the white.

Round 12-13: Repeat Round 9, but switch to white after the third decrease and work with that yarn, carrying the MC, to the stitch before the next decrease. You will have to attach the new color every round. Finish the round in the main color, attach white at the end.

Hope that helps. :) This pattern is adorable!

Another moment where I feel I have so much to learn.:eek: Those instructions look like html - I'm sure I can figure it.... and Xmas isn't so far away.

Make sure to take note of whether or not the pattern was written in US or in UK terminology. A single crochet stitch (sc) in the US is referred to as a double crochet (dc) in UK terms. Since a double is taller than a single, and a triple is taller than a double, it really is important to know what stitch is called for. You can find a conversion chart here.

I have thought about crocheting a bikini, anyone had any luck with this? I am busty, so it has to have some heft to it. I would love links to a pattern.

…>_<… Sorry I missed this. (Wasn't subscribing to threads)

Bailadora is right about the conversions. Another thing, Japanese patterns use symbols and charts, I have yet to even attempt one. Though I love how elegant the finished product looks.

I have thought about crocheting a bikini, anyone had any luck with this? I am busty, so it has to have some heft to it. I would love links to a pattern.

I've never crocheted a bikini, but there are lots of patterns out there. Ravelry and Etsy are great places to find patterns. Ravelry may have some free patterns. It depends on if you want to spend a few dollars. I use this site to find simple stuff, I'm worried if I buy a pattern I won't make the item (-_-).

Oh and I LOVE those white cuffs. Did you make them yourself?

Thank you, I did. (^.^) they aren't practical, but I think they are really pretty.

It seems that in the instructions it says you will carry the MC, but will have to reattach the new color each row. That's what I got out of it. So I think you have to fasten off the white.

Hope that helps. :) This pattern is adorable!

Yeah, it's that whole attach the white at the end thing that's throwing me. If you don't use it until after the 3rd decrease, why attach it at the end? Seems like a lot of extra tails to weave in. In doing some poking around, I did find this tutorial, and it looks like it would be a much simpler method than described above. And only two tails to weave in, at that. I'm gonna give it whirl and see how it goes.

And yes, the pattern is too cute. My cousin's daughter is totally obsessed with that stupid Ylvis fox song, which I loathe. But I think she'll like the hat, and if she wants to wear it as a prop while singing to the song, so be it.

Pintrest is your friend. Click. I've also found good things on Ravelry. I've yet to purchase anything from Etsy, but that's because I already have plenty in my project queue to keep me busy for at least the next year or so.

…>_<… Sorry I missed this. (Wasn't subscribing to threads)

Bailadora is right about the conversions. Another thing, Japanese patterns use symbols and charts, I have yet to even attempt one. Though I love how elegant the finished product looks.

More and more authors are starting to include a stitch chart, which makes things soo much easier! But I agree, Japanese patterns tend to be really exquisite. I have a book that I bought specifically because I want to make this blanket:

jshb10.jpg

I've only done one hex, but it's really not that difficult. FWIW, it's my understanding that those symbols are considered "international", so even if you can't read the language, you can still make the item.* You can find a symbol chart here. The only real problem is that if they're recommending a different weight of yarn, etc, then I'd be hard pressed to determine that. Thankfully, I have relatives who read Japanese!

*Note: International symbols follow US crochet terminology. For instance - the symbol for the half double crochet (hdc), basically an elongated T, would be considered a half treble (htr) in UK terms.

I read a little Japanese myself, and have a book that lists all the symbols. It's actually the book I learned to crochet from (^.^)

I like written directions with pictures. Just a chart and I'm lost. I'm sure when I finally sit down to tackle something I'll learn, it's usually the way it works for me. When I look at it right now I'm like "nope, don't get it." Then one day I'll look at it and say, "I've got this." And just do it.

Back