The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt gave me a box for Christmas of boxes and tins of various brands of hot chocolate. I think she thinks I am going to freeze to death. LOL I have enough chocolate to last several years. It is overcast and gloomy, but the thermometer outside says it is a little over 60. Snow is predicted for the weekend, so we shall see if it does or not.
 
All I know is that the best stuff comes in an orange can...

That's the one we look for when we go overseas - and we always bring a back several cans. (Going to be in Africa in April - looking forward to bringing that back, as well as Marmite, and decent tea,)

Since Hershey acquired Cadbury (Booh Hoo :( )

Has Cadbury's gone downhill in the UK?

We could buy Cadbury's chocolates in British shops here in the US. They looked almost the same as the domestic versions, but they tasted sooo much better.

Then Hersheys won a court case which caused all imports of Cadbury's to be banned, because Hersheys had bought the US rights. That was a sad day in my household. When friends and family visit, they always bring a few slabs - as well as Flakes, and a few other favorites.

Interesting note:

Ingredients on food labels have to be listed in sequence of volume.
- American Cadbury milk chocolate : first ingredient is sugar.
- Brit Cadbury : first ingredient was milk!
 
Interesting note:

Ingredients on food labels have to be listed in sequence of volume.
- American Cadbury milk chocolate : first ingredient is sugar.
- Brit Cadbury : first ingredient was milk!

Maybe the UK's package labeling regs are different from the US, OR, maybe the UK label lists milk and the US label lists milk solids. The difference is a huge amount of volume.

I haven't bought Cadbury in years. When I buy chocolate, which isn't very often, I prefer a darker chocolate. I also like buying chocolate from local makers. We exchanged holiday gifts within the company for a few years and the gifts usually ended up being locally made chocolate.
 
Quite the mucky drive, getting home, barely got up the hill at a walk with the studded snow tires.

I make our hot chocolate quick and easy. A little boiling water to melt a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, add a tablespoon of maple syrup, a drizzle of vanilla extract and a cup of microwave scalded organic whole milk. It's delicious and the munchkin doesn't go spastic like with cane sugar sweetened mixes.
 
Ah yes, people always come to the coffee shop to discuss hot chocolate.

A friend of mine turned up a few months ago with unroasted cacao beans. His in-laws got them as a gift and they didn't know what they were. I roasted some, quite inexpertly, and the only use I have for them now is to mix some nibs in with the coffee in a French press. The drink needs cream to offset the bitterness of the cacao, but the result tastes pretty good.

The husks from the roasted cacao beans make a stimulating, chocolate-flavored tea. The nibs differ from commercial cocoa because they still contain the cocoa butter, which has been squeezed out of the cacao to make cocoa.
 
Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a cacao bean.

I think the high today was 27, with a wind chill of 17. It's in the teens tonight and isn't supposed to get above freezing until late tomorrow afternoon. The streets are fairly dry here but Houston is a whole other story. Ice, ice, and more ice on the roads and most of them people have no idea how to drive on ice. Something like 300 more calls for wrecks above the average and a lot of people stayed home.

Okay, I'm cold now. More coffee and hot chocolate are now available.
 
Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a cacao bean.

They look like this.
attachment.php


They're hard and very dark brown inside.

Hi Lynn!
 

Attachments

  • main_organic_truly_raw_cacao_beans_1.jpg
    main_organic_truly_raw_cacao_beans_1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0
Want some snow or frigid temperatures?

I'd love some snow. I'll give you some dry, calm and sunny, 50-degree days in exchange. I might even take some frigid temps in the trade--just not a whole winter of them.
 
I'd love some snow. I'll give you some dry, calm and sunny, 50-degree days in exchange. I might even take some frigid temps in the trade--just not a whole winter of them.

That sounds perfect.

I don't mind a few days of the cold, either, but I'm tired of it.
 
That sounds perfect.

I don't mind a few days of the cold, either, but I'm tired of it.

We have what I suspect is a little warmer than you, but it's still damned cold round here.
Time for a mugfull of hot coffee with a little dash of something, I think.
:kiss:
 
For south Texas, it is damned cold. Wind chill of 10 degrees. Brrrrr.

Fresh hot coffee is now available so help yourself.

Breakfast will be something hot, believe me.
 
You can get good drinking cocoa chocolate and cacao in Spain. My wife always brings a couple of tins home when she visits. All I know is that the best stuff comes in an orange can with a picture of a very happy and fat black lady on the front - not PC but there you are.

You are thinking of ColaCao. The container isn't orange but yellow with a red top. The fat black lady has been retired from their advertising. I first came across it in the 1950's during a brief army stint in Gibraltar. In those days they had a little sales jingle which roughly translated, proclaimed the joy of a little black boy in Africa growing the stuff for his white masters!! - That one's retirement preceded the FBL by a few decades.

It is quite widely exported and there is a significant production and popularity in China.
 
I'm being watched. I can feel it.

Actually, it's just the two boy cats. I feed them about an hour after I get up and they spend the whole hour stalking me. One is sitting on the printer next to me and watching me type. The other is on the floor beside me waiting for the first sign that I'm getting up.
 
The snow forecast has backed off, we'll have a bit of rain, so winter has not arrived. The deer have gone elsewhere to rut. The flu epidemic hasn't hit here yet. [/me sniffles]

My vintage 'uke is still in the shop; they're too slow, replacing the tuning machines. I've been considering a xaphoon but shortness-of-breath precludes that. And the mandola hunt continues. I nearly had one the other day but it got away. Ratz.

Oops, we need more espresso today. And cream. And tortillas. I'll tell the tortilla stories later. [/me finishes espresso] It's nearly lunchtime. A taco truck is calling us...
 
The snow forecast has backed off, we'll have a bit of rain, so winter has not arrived. The deer have gone elsewhere to rut. The flu epidemic hasn't hit here yet. [/me sniffles]

My vintage 'uke is still in the shop; they're too slow, replacing the tuning machines. I've been considering a xaphoon but shortness-of-breath precludes that. And the mandola hunt continues. I nearly had one the other day but it got away. Ratz.

Oops, we need more espresso today. And cream. And tortillas. I'll tell the tortilla stories later. [/me finishes espresso] It's nearly lunchtime. A taco truck is calling us...

I learn something new every time you write something about instruments (Xaphoon ? WTF ?; so I looked it up). And that prompted a hunt to info about the Boehm system. and so it goes on. . . .

Patience, mate. They got to get the bits. . . .

And now for a cup of tea.
 
Speaking of getting a bit, it was an interesting afternoon to say the least. followed by a short nap. :)

Fresh coffee for those in need.
 
I learn something new every time you write something about instruments (Xaphoon ? WTF ?; so I looked it up). And that prompted a hunt to info about the Boehm system. and so it goes on. . . .
The Xaphoon seems more elegant than replacing a soprano or alto recorder's mouthpiece with a clarinet's, and a plastic cheapo is only US$30 on eBay. Damn, I haven't touched Boehm in decades.

Patience, mate. They got to get the bits.
I got the call this afternoon. Tuners to fit that century-old Martin tiple (TEE-play) are no longer made; maybe get lucky on eBay. Gee, thanks... ;(

And now for a cup of tea.
Wrong time zone for tea for me. Except herb tea aka dirty water. Ick. Cocoa with rum, that's the ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top