What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Bush HAD to give away interest-free, down-payment-free housing loans? Because he HAD to prove he wasn't a "Nazi"?

Do you ever listen to yourself?

Jonah rightly calls today’s David Brooks column a must-read. Brooks discusses Reckless Endangerment, the new book by Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner exposing Fannie Mae’s role in the runup to the financial crisis. Brooks also rightly credits Michele Bachmann for her important role in publicizing a topic many other national politicians have been silent on.

I’ve only had a chance to give Reckless Endangerment a quick look, but my impression is that it tells the right story, if a bit too much from Fannie Mae’s point of view. In Morgenson and Rosner’s telling, Fannie Mae effectively buys off ACORN and other low-income housing groups. There’s some truth to that, but it underestimates the extent to which ACORN and allied groups forced Fannie Mae into the subprime business in the first place, and sometimes pushed themselves onto Fannie Mae against resistance.

I tell that story in the ACORN chapter of Radical-in-Chief, based on heretofore unseen documents from the ACORN archive at the Wisconsin Historical Society. I also show that Barack Obama was knee-deep in ACORN activities just as their banking campaign reached its height. In fact, much of ACORN’s national housing campaign in the mid-nineties was coordinated from the Chicago office Obama was funneling money to at the time.

So if the combination of the publication of Reckless Endangerment and Michele Bachmann’s campaign brings a new awareness of Fannie Mae’s role in precipitating the financial crisis, by rights it also ought to raise awareness of ACORN’s role, and Obama’s abetment of ACORN activism as well. Of course, for that very reason, the entire story is likely to be ignored. Maybe only someone like Bachmann has the power to break it through.
Stanley Kurtz
NRO
 
"That last extension of unemployment benefits — typically received in weeks 80 through 99 of unemployment — is paid for entirely with federal money and does not affect state budgets. But because of ideological opposition and other legislative priorities, Arizona and a handful of other states, like Wisconsin and Alaska, have not made the one-word change necessary to keep the program going.

"Right now about 640,000 jobless Americans are receiving this last tier of benefits, according to the National Employment Law Project. The money, appropriated in the 2009 federal stimulus package, was initially intended for states with jobless rates higher than they were two years earlier. Since the recovery has been much slower than predicted, though, Congress decided last December to allow states to continue receiving the money if their unemployment rates were higher than they were three years earlier. States simply needed to change “two” to “three” in the relevant state law."

"The last tier of federal benefits injects about $2.3 million a week into Arizona, and Mr. Melvin says he believes “every dollar’s important.”

This is not free money,” said Al Melvin, a Republican state senator representing Tucson. “This is America’s money. We have a $14 trillion debt that has to be paid, and we need to stop spending money we don’t have.”

For Want of a Word, Arizona’s Jobless Lose Checks

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/business/18benefits.html
 
What happens when all those people go off the dole?

Do they stop counting them (like they did with jobs) and claim the unemployment rate is going down?
 
What happens when all those people go off the dole?

Do they stop counting them (like they did with jobs) and claim the unemployment rate is going down?


Several things:

1. Mercury and LT make threads indicting the heartless republicans who are throwing people off the cliff in order to make political hay.

2. As benefits cease and they are no longer counted as unemployed - Mercury and LT begin saying, "Unemployment drops - the Stimulus is working".

3. The Federal Government pushes through new legislation making unemployment benefits a permanent benefit.

4. In a special session - the Legislators in Az, change their law to allow continued payments, having made their political statement - they can now step aside without political harm.
 
White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley took heat from business executives Thursday for the Obama administration’s regulatory expansions.

Daley also said he didn’t have any good answers for some of what President Obama is doing and expressed frustration about the “bureaucratic stuff that’s hard to defend.”

“Sometimes you can’t defend the indefensible,”


http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=37840056&postcount=148



Enough said.




. . .
 
Last edited:
According to MSNBC ...

There will soon be Civil Unrest Because Of Unemployment

and ...

It's Totally The GOP's Fault!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3MKULtXoaI&feature=player_embedded#at=124



The loonies actually think it's warranted behavior.

I haven't read Ann Coulter's new book, but one of the contentions that she makes is that all political violence that we've experienced as a nation comes from the "peace-loving" left (and none from the right). I would like to examine that contention to see if it's correct. If it is correct, then this post you've made is consistent with historical precedent.
 
Several things:

1. Mercury and LT make threads indicting the heartless republicans who are throwing people off the cliff in order to make political hay.

2. As benefits cease and they are no longer counted as unemployed - Mercury and LT begin saying, "Unemployment drops - the Stimulus is working".

3. The Federal Government pushes through new legislation making unemployment benefits a permanent benefit.

4. In a special session - the Legislators in Az, change their law to allow continued payments, having made their political statement - they can now step aside without political harm.


Merc and LT are only good for entertainment. they both have in certified insane ideology (maybe they are the same person) and the insanity is clearly visible with the things they post
 
I haven't read Ann Coulter's new book, but one of the contentions that she makes is that all political violence that we've experienced as a nation comes from the "peace-loving" left (and none from the right). I would like to examine that contention to see if it's correct. If it is correct, then this post you've made is consistent with historical precedent.

One of her basic premises is (culled from an interview) is that violence was the purview of popular egalitarian movements, like the French revolution, and that ours tended to he fought with the head over the heart until Dr. King's movement and that movement was based on such an egregious wrong that we turned and looked the other way, while Thurgood Marshall was actually the one proceeding correctly in the American tradition, with arguments (as we had with Federalist) instead of marches.

The Socialists will get as far as they can with words and law, but then they resort to violence when they cannot convince, witness Wisconsin, Greece, the English student riots and the bombing of Libya and Yemen, people who aren't talking to us, while the loudest talkers get off Scot-free...
 
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY

Some people got to have it
Hey, Hey, Hey - some people really need it

Hey, listen to me, y'all do thangs, do thangs, do thangs - bad thangs with it
Well, you wanna do thangs, do thangs, do thangs - good thangs with it - yeah

Un Huh, talkin' bout cash money, money

Talkin' bout cash money - dollar bills y'all - come on, now

Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah

For the love of money
People will steal from their mother

For the love of money
People will rob their own brother

For the love of money
People can't even walk the streets
Because they'll never know who in the world they're gonna beat
For that mean, oh mean, mean green

Almighty Dollar!

Cash Money

For the love of money
People will lie, rob, they will cheat

For the love of money
People don't care who they hurt or beat

For the love of money
A woman will sell her precious body

For a small piece of paper it carries a lot of weight
Oh, that mean, mean, mean, mean, mean green

Almighty Dollar!

Talkin' bout, talkin' bout - cash

I know that money is the root of all evil
Do funny things to some people

Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds

For the love of money
No good, no good, no good

For the love of money
Don't sell ya soul for the money - no, no

For the love of money
Lay down, lay down - women will

Money is the root of all evil
Do funny things to some people

Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds

For the love of money
Got to have it - I really need it

For the love of money
Give it up, give it up, give it up - yeah

For the love of money
Got to have it - some people really need it

For the love of money
Give me, give me, give me - cash money

For the love of money
I need - I need

For the love of money
Keep me, keep me, keep me - happy

For the love of money
For the love of money
How many days have I heard ya say

For the love of money
Don't let it, don't let it - don't let money rule ya

For the love of money
How many days have I heard ya say

For the love of money
Don't let it, don't let it - don't let it, don't let money fool you, no

For the love of money
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

For the love of money
Got to have it - I really need it

Don't do it - don't do it

Brother - save ya soul - save ya soul - don't sell it
For that mean, mean, mean, mean green

People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

I keep ah tellin' you
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

Um, 'cause it'll keep on changing - yeah- changing up your mind

It'll keep on - it'll keep on - changing - yeah - changing up your mind

I'm tellin' y'all
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

I keep ah tellin' y'all
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

Yeah - 'cause it'll keep on changing - yeah - changing up your mind

It'll keep on changing - yeah - changing up your mind

I'm tellin' y'all
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!
 
Last edited:
The first story is that Amtrak, our socialized passenger rail service, racked up an operating loss of $506 million this calendar year. The bad news is that this is a considerable increase from last year's loss of $420 million. The worse news is that next year's loss is projected to hit $618 million.

Amtrak ran these deficits despite an increase of nearly 10% in ridership over the last year, putting it on track to exceed last year's record of 28.7 million passengers.

The taxpayers are on the hook for all these losses, of course. We subsidize Amtrak to the tune of a whopping $3.94 billion a year, or about 16% of its operating expenses. Here is your paradigm case of a socialized company: it has a nearly 10% increase in customer traffic, is a legal monopoly, and still operates at a massive loss, all paid for by the taxpayers.

Of course, it is rent-seekers who have kept this boondoggle alive. These rent-seekers include, of course, the railroad workers' unions, the company execs, and the politicians who represent them. But the rent-seekers also include the relatively few passengers whose tickets are cheap because everyone else is picking up part of the tab -- remember that the "28 million passengers" cited above refers only to seats filled, and one commuter is going to "fill" hundreds of seats a year. (It would take only 56,000 commuters to fill seats 28 million times a year supposing, each rides five days a week, out and back, fifty times a year.)

These rent-seekers argue that Amtrak serves a public good and that the problem is the long-distance routes. All Amtrak needs to do, management claims, is drop those routes and improve service. (Among other things, Amtrak wants to add Wi-Fi to its coaches to attract travelers). With the excuse of improving service, Amtrak just got a $450-million grant from the Federal Railroad Administration to upgrade one 24-mile-long segment of its line between Morrisville, PA and New Brunswick, NJ.

Congressman John Mica (R-FL) is once again pushing to at least remove Amtrak's government-sanctioned monopoly and let private companies compete. Of course, the real answer is to end all subsidies for Amtrak; privatize it; and let it drop whatever lines it wants, add whatever services it wants, and improve whatever lines it wishes (with private capital). At the same time, we should allow any other companies who want to enter passenger rail service to do so. Then let the market sort it all out.

But the Amtrak rent-seekers are quite powerful, so it is unlikely that this will be done anytime soon.
Gary Jason
The American Thinker
 
The second story concerns the desperate attempt by Obama's Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to find a state whose leaders are stupid enough to accept $300 million in funding for high-speed rail.

LaHood first offered the money to Florida, but the Florida governor and legislature were economically wise enough to realize that the federal handout would only start the boondoggle express. Then the state would have to spend billions of scarce taxpayer dollars to help buy the trains, construct (or improve) the track to carry them, and pay to maintain them. And, since those trains (like virtually all passenger trains on the U.S.) would carry few passengers, there would be no chance of the project ever turning a profit. Like Amtrak, it would require endless subsidies.

But LaHood thinks he may have found a state just wacky enough to take the bait:

California, with its ultra-left legislature and the economically ignorant executive. Governor Brown, a devout Green from way back, favors a high-speed rail connecting Anaheim (via Los Angeles) and San Francisco. Of course, the relatively few people who regularly go back and forth between those cities now just take the freeway or fly between the five Los Angeles area and three San Francisco area airports. But Brown is convinced that these folks will abandon their cars and planes to take the inconvenient train -- even though California's existing passenger rail trains are not particularly popular.
Keep in mind that this is the same (if now aging) Governor Moonbeam during whose earlier regime (from 1975 to 1983) not one mile of new freeway was built, resulting in the overcrowded freeways that plague California today. Moonbeam's theory then was that if he didn't build more freeways to tempt people to drive, why, then they would take mass transit.

Yeah, that really worked out, Moonie, now didn't it?

The California High-Speed Rail Authority, the spearhead organization of the rent-seekers here, has estimated the cost of the project at $43 billion. However, no less than the California legislature's own Legislative Analyst's Office has put the costs of building this pointless project at $67 billion, assuming no cost overruns. Sixty-seven billion! Oh, and when on earth has the government not had cost overruns in these sorts of idiotic projects? Remember Boston's infamous "Big Dig," and the Los Angeles Metro Rail projects? Those were boondoggles of mind-boggling proportions.

It is unclear how California will raise the $67 billion. Yes, the voters approved a $9-billion bond back in 2008 to fund this project (led as they were by the usual promises that it would create massive numbers of new jobs). But the bond measure passed with the rail authority's public assurance that $30 billion would come from private investors and federal sources. The rail authority further projected that $15 billion would come from California businesses and local governments.

However, all of the rail authority's projections were just smoke. The feds have chipped in only $3.6 billion, and the present Congress (at least half-controlled by Republicans) is unlikely to chip in more. Add to this the fact that most of the local governments in California are broke and that no business in its right mind is going to invest in a sure loser like this, and it seems unlikely that the thing will ever see the light of day.

But the California High-Speed Rail authority is a rent-seeking machine, and it is pushing ahead to open the first stretch of track in California's Central Valley, where organized NIMBY resistance is minimal. The project is unlikely to ever be more than a patch of track from nowhere to nowhere.

The simple reality is that American passenger trains carry relatively few passengers because Americans prefer the convenience of cars and the speed of planes. If this weren't the case, private companies would have built high-speed rail all over the country by now.

Once again, this is your tax dollars at work. Meanwhile, the feds project another trillion-dollar deficit next year.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/06/trains_to_nowhere.html
 
One by one, exasperated executives stood to air their grievances on environmental regulations and stalled free-trade deals. And Daley, the former banker tasked with building ties with industry, found himself looking for the right balance between empathy and defending his boss.

At one point, the room erupted in applause when Massachusetts manufacturing executive Doug Starrett, his voice shaking with emotion, accused the administration of blocking construction on one of his facilities to protect fish, saying government “throws sand into the gears of progress.”

Daley said he did not have many good answers, appearing to throw up his hands in frustration at what he called “bureaucratic stuff that’s hard to defend.”

“Sometimes you can’t defend the indefensible,” he said.

The exchange suggests the limits of the elaborate courtship of corporations begun by President Obama and his top aides after Democrats’ big losses in the 2010 elections — an effort that has taken on new urgency in recent weeks.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/helenwhalen cohen/2011/06/18/defending_the_indefensible
 
a post from someone who doesn't have "money"





Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY
Money money money money, MONEY

Some people got to have it
Hey, Hey, Hey - some people really need it

Hey, listen to me, y'all do thangs, do thangs, do thangs - bad thangs with it
Well, you wanna do thangs, do thangs, do thangs - good thangs with it - yeah

Un Huh, talkin' bout cash money, money

Talkin' bout cash money - dollar bills y'all - come on, now

Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah

For the love of money
People will steal from their mother

For the love of money
People will rob their own brother

For the love of money
People can't even walk the streets
Because they'll never know who in the world they're gonna beat
For that mean, oh mean, mean green

Almighty Dollar!

Cash Money

For the love of money
People will lie, rob, they will cheat

For the love of money
People don't care who they hurt or beat

For the love of money
A woman will sell her precious body

For a small piece of paper it carries a lot of weight
Oh, that mean, mean, mean, mean, mean green

Almighty Dollar!

Talkin' bout, talkin' bout - cash

I know that money is the root of all evil
Do funny things to some people

Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds

For the love of money
No good, no good, no good

For the love of money
Don't sell ya soul for the money - no, no

For the love of money
Lay down, lay down - women will

Money is the root of all evil
Do funny things to some people

Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds

For the love of money
Got to have it - I really need it

For the love of money
Give it up, give it up, give it up - yeah

For the love of money
Got to have it - some people really need it

For the love of money
Give me, give me, give me - cash money

For the love of money
I need - I need

For the love of money
Keep me, keep me, keep me - happy

For the love of money
For the love of money
How many days have I heard ya say

For the love of money
Don't let it, don't let it - don't let money rule ya

For the love of money
How many days have I heard ya say

For the love of money
Don't let it, don't let it - don't let it, don't let money fool you, no

For the love of money
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

For the love of money
Got to have it - I really need it

Don't do it - don't do it

Brother - save ya soul - save ya soul - don't sell it
For that mean, mean, mean, mean green

People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

I keep ah tellin' you
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

Um, 'cause it'll keep on changing - yeah- changing up your mind

It'll keep on - it'll keep on - changing - yeah - changing up your mind

I'm tellin' y'all
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

I keep ah tellin' y'all
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!

Yeah - 'cause it'll keep on changing - yeah - changing up your mind

It'll keep on changing - yeah - changing up your mind

I'm tellin' y'all
People, don't let money, don't let money change you

Almighty Dollar!
 
a post from someone who doesn't have "money"

Bitch, I could buy your non-working entitled ass ten times over and sell all the pieces that haven't been skanked out to soap-proof oblivion at cost in a farmer's market. And that's just with my walking around money. :D
 
okay dokie! from my experience when someone talks about money, like you just did. that means they a). have a small penis, b). they don't have money.

which is it?



Bitch, I could buy your non-working entitled ass ten times over and sell all the pieces that haven't been skanked out to soap-proof oblivion at cost in a farmer's market. And that's just with my walking around money. :D
 
okay dokie! from my experience when someone talks about money, like you just did. that means they a). have a small penis, b). they don't have money.

which is it?

Experience? Yeah, I suppose after all those nights on the corner tryin' not to get beat by your mister for not bringing in quota wages, you would have experience with small dicks and chump change.

Tell your pimp you need a new racket. Come up to my joint and work for me. I'll stretch you out right AND give you more scratch for the hairdresser's. Where you gonna get a better deal than that? :D
 
okay dokie! from my experience when someone talks about money, like you just did. that means they a). have a small penis, b). they don't have money.

which is it?

the dude lives in NY, I think, he's probably trying to make end's meet in that studio apartment he calls home. I've seen two girls sleep in the same bed in one of those apartments, NY is tough. Lets face it Irezumipiss aint no Donald Trump...god bless him for fighting the good fight..
 
come up to your joint, are you a pimp? the sad truth, you make me laugh with your insanity.


Experience? Yeah, I suppose after all those nights on the corner tryin' not to get beat by your mister for not bringing in quota wages, you would have experience with small dicks and chump change.

Tell your pimp you need a new racket. Come up to my joint and work for me. I'll stretch you out right AND give you more scratch for the hairdresser's. Where you gonna get a better deal than that? :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top