Grab the Nearest Book...

The woman down by the garbage cans had frizzy red hair and was wearing a country-chic cotton sharecropper's dress.

Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin
 
Last edited:
He tells me after I blow him again for a while that I did a shitty job and to do it over, again and again, till I get it right.
 
My father, referring to certain older shares but not quite remembering their names, which were easily confused with other similar ones, opened a drawer and showed the ambassador the certificates themselves.
 
A first paragraph... of sorts

Fitipaldi, Montebianco e Toscapetti
Relazioni Pubbliche / Pubblicita / Pubblicitario

in Englich

Roma, 11 Sett

EGUAL PAY FOR EGUAL PASTA​

Today came to Rome a new champion for egual rights for women. Natasha O'Brien, the American artist of food, flied in especially to meet with the workers in the Maladente Macaroni Factory. She wore a tomato-coloured dress and bright zucchini colour shoes. A woman of good beauty, she flied especially from London when she learned that the ziti division of MMF was getting a rise in pay but the all-women spaghetinni section got no rise.

:D


Someone is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe - Nan & Ivan Lyons
 
Last edited:
"We have already mentioned that the Greek view of life was now much more widespread than it had been in the former Greek cultural areas."

Sophie's World
Jostein Gaarder
 
The air in the apartment seemed to have shot up ten degreees and lost half it's oxygen.

Bitten
Kelley Armstrong
 
Chapter 2, Paragraph 1

"Mickey Mouse took a bullet in the throat. The 9-mm pistol cracked three more times in rapid succession, shredding Donald Duck's face."

OK - see who can figure this one out
 
It was a circular hollow, sometimes called, the brochure said, a pot, and it was lined with grass, mosses and fern.

(the place was a wapentake :D )


Clutch of Constables - Ngaio Marsh
 
Last edited:
It beebed every few seconds and the lights blinked.

Book 21: The Secrets of New Babylon - Left Behind: The Kids Series by Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye
 
At midday Logie telephoned the Admiralty and told the Submarine Tracking Room to stand by.

Enigma - Robert Harris
 
Last edited:
Certainly the city was still formidable enough to withstand the attentions of marauding tribes; in AD 368 the Attacotti laid waste to much of Kent without daring to make an onslaught upon London itself.

LONDON the Biography
Peter Ackroyd
 
a random paragraph

There was no wail, no bark of newborn outrage. The child opened its mouth, breathed, and then kept its own counsel. "Whine, you fiend," said the crone, "it's your first job." The baby shirked its obligations.

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire
 
Maid of Marvels said:
Simple rules, handy tools...

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Turn to page 28.
3. Read the 10th sentence.
4. Post the text of that sentence here.


purloined (with permission) from
beansoup


From two books I found in my desk’s drawer.

‘Very puffed he was, when he got to Bywater just on the stroke of eleven, and found he had come without a pocket-handkerchief!’

‘Her other hand went between her legs and showed in the mirror from behind.’
 
Some kind of boar, he thinks at first, and then realizes that no boar could be so huge.

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
 
Page 28, sentence 10

Similarly, the medical specialist undergoes a 16 week medical course, so tough that a Training Company Commander, Major Rocky Farr, boasted: 'Put the average medical student on our schedule and he probably couldn't make it.'

Name of Book: The SAS Fighting Techniques Handbook
Author: Terry White
 
Page 28 Sentence 10

Bellatrix's mouth twisted as though she had taken an unpleasant dose of medicine.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
J.K. Rowlings
 
23 September - 30 September

BANNED BOOKS WEEK

I thought it might be neat if we discussed or at least added some titles of books that have been banned. Yes, it happens even here in the United States... no thanks to some well-placed squeaky wheels with more influence than they should have.

Any stories, titles, thoughts?
 
I listened to a broadcast of Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence (the story of a love affair between a lady and a gamekeeper) on BBC7 -- abridged, of course, but *fans myself* it was... HAWT!!

If you don't own the book, or don't care to read it (it's available online, also), I highly recommend taking a listen to the broadcast, done in two parts. ;)


He too had bared the front part of his body and she felt his naked flesh against her as he came into her. For a moment he was still inside her, turgid there and quivering. Then as he began to move, in the sudden helpless orgasm, there awoke in her new strange thrills rippling inside her. Rippling, rippling, rippling, like a flapping overlapping of soft flames, soft as feathers, running to points of brilliance, exquisite, exquisite and melting her all molten inside. It was like bells rippling up and up to a culmination. She lay unconscious of the wild little cries she uttered at the last. But it was over too soon, too soon, and she could no longer force her own conclusion with her own activity. This was different, different. She could do nothing. She could no longer harden and grip for her own satisfaction upon him. She could only wait, wait and moan in spirit as she felt him withdrawing, withdrawing and contracting, coming to the terrible moment when he would slip out of her and be gone. Whilst all her womb was open and soft, and softly clamouring, like a sea-anemone under the tide, clamouring for him to come in again and make a fulfilment for her. She clung to him unconscious iii passion, and he never quite slipped from her, and she felt the soft bud of him within her stirring, and strange rhythms flushing up into her with a strange rhythmic growing motion, swelling and swelling till it filled all her cleaving consciousness, and then began again the unspeakable motion that was not really motion, but pure deepening whirlpools of sensation swirling deeper and deeper through all her tissue and consciousness, till she was one perfect concentric fluid of feeling, and she lay there crying in unconscious inarticulate cries. The voice out of the uttermost night, the life! The man heard it beneath him with a kind of awe, as his life sprang out into her. And as it subsided, he subsided too and lay utterly still, unknowing, while her grip on him slowly relaxed, and she lay inert. And they lay and knew nothing, not even of each other, both lost. Till at last he began to rouse and become aware of his defenceless nakedness, and she was aware that his body was loosening its clasp on her. He was coming apart; but in her breast she felt she could not bear him to leave her uncovered. He must cover her now for ever.

A banned book, Lady Chatterley's Lover has been the subject of numerous obscenity trials in both the US and the UK.

*wanders off in seach of a keeper of my own*
 
Back
Top