The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is quite amazing how every day I find another reason to be deeply disappointed in a person, or in people in general.

While that's certainly true, the fact that it's another rematch kind of burned me on it, especially since I didn't see the need for this one.

The winner gets G-Men after. It makes perfect sense. You have to give Edgar a rematch because he's been such an amazing champion and it'd be an absolute slap in the face not to.

The winner gets G-Men after. It makes perfect sense. You have to give Edgar a rematch because he's been such an amazing champion and it'd be an absolute slap in the face not to.

Eh, I imagine Edgar whined and whined about getting a rematch, then Dana White made promise to drop to 145, given Dana's odd fetish for guys cutting weight.

Eh, I imagine Edgar whined and whined about getting a rematch, then Dana White made promise to drop to 145, given Dana's odd fetish for guys cutting weight.

It's not odd in Edgar's case, though. He's legitimately undersized for the class and would be a better fighter at 145. Anyway, Edgar doesn't whine. You don't seem like a fan of him and that's fine but as a columnist shouldn't you be more interested in the reality of fight promotions and how they function?

It's not odd in Edgar's case, though. He's legitimately undersized for the class and would be a better fighter at 145. Anyway, Edgar doesn't whine. You don't seem like a fan of him and that's fine but as a columnist shouldn't you be more interested in the reality of fight promotions and how they function?

I agree in the case of Edgar dropping down, he could easily make 145 without cutting too much weight. If he were serious about weight cutting he might be able to make 135. I've got nothing against Edgar, he's got heart and determination. The issue, from a promotion standpoint, is that Edgar hasn't been a great draw. Even his third match with Maynard, coming off of their great first title fight, didn't get great numbers. All of the rematches have hurt the drawing power of the lightweight division. Edgar is a really talented fighter, and like you said he's not had a bad fight in years.

I agree in the case of Edgar dropping down, he could easily make 145 without cutting too much weight. If he were serious about weight cutting he might be able to make 135. I've got nothing against Edgar, he's got heart and determination. The issue, from a promotion standpoint, is that Edgar hasn't been a great draw. Even his third match with Maynard, coming off of their great first title fight, didn't get great numbers. All of the rematches have hurt the drawing power of the lightweight division. Edgar is a really talented fighter, and like you said he's not had a bad fight in years.

That line of thinking is what ruined boxing. It isn't about the most exciting fights -all- the time. You have to maintain the integrity of the belts. If you're going to do that at 155 right now you -have- to give Edgar a rematch.

It really is quite amazing how every day I find another reason to be deeply disappointed in a person, or in people in general.

I put very little faith in others anymore.
It hurts less when they disappoint you, if you already anticipate it. It's far more shocking when they DO come through.

LT:
I want to skip this weekend, please.

That line of thinking is what ruined boxing. It isn't about the most exciting fights -all- the time. You have to maintain the integrity of the belts. If you're going to do that at 155 right now you -have- to give Edgar a rematch.

I didn't really have a problem with giving BJ Penn an immediate rematch, but plenty of people scored that fight for Penn. Then you had to with Maynard because they actually fought to a draw. All of those fights were exciting, but the stream of rematches gets old in a hurry. I scored the first fight for Henderson, as did all the judges and a majority of the people I talk with about MMA. I think in this case it wouldn't have hurt anything to have Frankie fight someone before he got another title fight.

I didn't really have a problem with giving BJ Penn an immediate rematch, but plenty of people scored that fight for Penn. Then you had to with Maynard because they actually fought to a draw. All of those fights were exciting, but the stream of rematches gets old in a hurry. I scored the first fight for Henderson, as did all the judges and a majority of the people I talk with about MMA. I think in this case it wouldn't have hurt anything to have Frankie fight someone before he got another title fight.

Three defenses deserves a shot at getting the belt back. That's how the fight game works. If Edgar had only one defense to his name it'd be different.

Three defenses deserves a shot at getting the belt back. That's how the fight game works. If Edgar had only one defense to his name it'd be different.

I don't hate the rematch because of those two had a fun fight the first time, I don't like it because every fight for the lightweight title has been a rematch. I also think it was kind of a shame they passed up on the opportunity to have this fight on the last Fox show. Neither guy is a proven draw and a title fight on free TV would give them exposure to increase their future drawing power.

LOL
Yeah, but it's not my NM....I love my NM...

stupid significant other.... *kicks him*

I can totally understand that... your heart is where your heart is.

You're in a cooler area of the state, which about half way through the summer I would kill for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back