What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
progress...

Okay, so I didn't totally win, but I accomplished what I needed to, I will be relocated away from my current GM, the one that I have worked with for the majority of 5 years.

And I feel like I'm being heard. And I was told to speak up more and stop letting my GM bully me, by her boss.

I was also told that by no means will I be refused the opportunity to go back to school, as long as I can keep the performance level expected, work my 45 hours, and my school schedule fits the needs of the business.

All and all, I consider this a success. :)

Smile? Yes.....laugh, no. I discovered tonight that my laptop had been left on this forum all day, on sleep mode. Would it have been funny if hubby had discovered that? Nope.....but when I found it, I did laugh inside in a weird sort of paranoid way.:eek::eek:

progress...

Okay, so I didn't totally win, but I accomplished what I needed to, I will be relocated away from my current GM, the one that I have worked with for the majority of 5 years.

And I feel like I'm being heard. And I was told to speak up more and stop letting my GM bully me, by her boss.

I was also told that by no means will I be refused the opportunity to go back to school, as long as I can keep the performance level expected, work my 45 hours, and my school schedule fits the needs of the business.

You go.

And can you bring me some of those cool happy meal spy toys before you're caught up with school?

You go.

And can you bring me some of those cool happy meal spy toys before you're caught up with school?

I have to say those are some pretty nifty toys.

Spy toys? The US happy meal toys are so much better than the European ones.

And wenchie, way to go! :)

When I see some really cool toys, like the Star Wars or something, I buy the whole set and send them to Jounar. He gets a real kick out of them. His bedroom is pretty much decorated in Darth Vader happy meal toys. *giggles*

His nephews also think he is the coolest because he has access to such neat happy meal toys.

progress...

Red parts - WIN!

Bold part - A suggestion on this: Determine, as best you can, the most likely schedule work is going to need you on, which quite likely might include a lot of weekend hours (upper management generally prefer to have that time off, so they want to stick it on middle managers). In *your* case, weekend hours can be a good thing, because your school most likely *doesn't* include weekend hours (just papers and required reading and such :rolleyes: ). Then carefully read the course catalog to see which sections of your necessary classes fit into your non-working hours and try to enroll in those sections. This may require you to take certain classes out of the normal sequence, which can be done in some instances (though I wouldn't recommend taking Statistics III before Stat I or II, other courses {e.g., BritLit 1830-1870 before BritLit 1500-1700, etc.} can be taken "out of order" without too much hassle).

I can't emphasize this too much: GET A GOOD ADVISOR. They're priceless. If the advisor you are originally assigned to seems to want to fit you into his/her cookie cutter mold, go to the dean and request a different advisor, or find an instructor who seems to get you and your school v. life issues and ask her/him to be your advisor. I can tell you from personal experience that 99.376% of instructors will be inordinately pleased by such a request, and will bend heaven and earth to get your schooling into a situation that works with your work requirements.

Best of luck to you, Wenchie! You've worked for this, you've earned it... now, by Gods and Goddesses, go out and seize it and make everything you want of yourself and your life! :heart:

progress...

Bravo!

On top of the great advice that you got from SW above, look around the school to see if there is a department or office that is dedicated to the needs of adult working students. Many colleges have something like this and the people who work there can help perform miracles for their students.

Just stay away from the Delta Tau Chi frat house. ;)

Pardon me. I like talking dirty once in a while. And I just thought of something indescribably delicious to do with a scrub brush. ;)

Ah, yes. Spring cleaning..tis the season! There really is something indescribable about the perennial classic "Scrub a sub sub" isn't there?

progress...

MOST excellent!

And to add to MWY and SW's sage advice, see if you can get your reading list for your courses and read ahead as far as possible before classes actually start. I don't know if you have any Lit courses but if you do you'll find it helpful to have read the books at least once before the pressure is on.

And yes, get yourself a good TA and stick to them like glue. :)

Red parts - WIN!

Bold part - A suggestion on this: Determine, as best you can, the most likely schedule work is going to need you on, which quite likely might include a lot of weekend hours (upper management generally prefer to have that time off, so they want to stick it on middle managers). In *your* case, weekend hours can be a good thing, because your school most likely *doesn't* include weekend hours (just papers and required reading and such :rolleyes: ). Then carefully read the course catalog to see which sections of your necessary classes fit into your non-working hours and try to enroll in those sections. This may require you to take certain classes out of the normal sequence, which can be done in some instances (though I wouldn't recommend taking Statistics III before Stat I or II, other courses {e.g., BritLit 1830-1870 before BritLit 1500-1700, etc.} can be taken "out of order" without too much hassle).

I can't emphasize this too much: GET A GOOD ADVISOR. They're priceless. If the advisor you are originally assigned to seems to want to fit you into his/her cookie cutter mold, go to the dean and request a different advisor, or find an instructor who seems to get you and your school v. life issues and ask her/him to be your advisor. I can tell you from personal experience that 99.376% of instructors will be inordinately pleased by such a request, and will bend heaven and earth to get your schooling into a situation that works with your work requirements.

Best of luck to you, Wenchie! You've worked for this, you've earned it... now, by Gods and Goddesses, go out and seize it and make everything you want of yourself and your life! :heart:

Well... This is actually what brought on this meeting with my GM, Supervisor AND Ops Manager.

I looked at the needs of the store I"m in, we need managers on the evening side. Right now we only have one available for dinner shifts. So I looked and scheduled 2 classes in the mornings. Then I told my GM, I'm going to school, here's my class schedule, and she threw a fit! She said she needed me available in the mornings. :confused:

My Ops manager even hinted at the fact that I really did think through the business needs a lot more than what was implied to him. I am a smart cookie, it's not hard to see where our needs lie.

The funny part is, this Ops Manager is the same man that made my life hell when he was my Supervisor. :rolleyes: Something about not taking shit from people anymore has put him in my corner. Go figure.

Bravo!

On top of the great advice that you got from SW above, look around the school to see if there is a department or office that is dedicated to the needs of adult working students. Many colleges have something like this and the people who work there can help perform miracles for their students.

Just stay away from the Delta Tau Chi frat house. ;)

MOST excellent!

And to add to MWY and SW's sage advice, see if you can get your reading list for your courses and read ahead as far as possible before classes actually start. I don't know if you have any Lit courses but if you do you'll find it helpful to have read the books at least once before the pressure is on.

And yes, get yourself a good TA and stick to them like glue. :)

Thanks, I'll work on it. :)

As you all know, I'm terribly shy, so just going to school and interacting with new people is a very scary concept for me. Asking for advice, even from those who are there to advise me is even scarier. But I said this year would be about improving me, and we are just now into May and I've already accomplished so much!

I'm looking forward to starting the school process.

I was shopping, in the produce section, and the kiwi fruit caught my eye. I've always had a thing for kiwi fruit, because I just love the feel of those bristly little hairs as I run my fingers over them. Always have.

Well, I guess I sorta got carried away because I had a pair of kiwi brushing up against my cheeks when I looked up and noticed the 40-ish looking woman frozen in place. She appeared to have been studying my every move, and she was grinning the way I've always dreamed a woman might grin who caught me doing something far more intimate than assessing the merits of fruit. I gazed into her eyes, and for whatever reason, I couldn't let go. What seemed like an eternity was finally broken when her eyes glanced down and then right back up again. And I thought it not possible, but she was grinning wider now than ever before.

It was damn awkward. I hurried to set the kiwis back down on the display bin. That's when I noticed the tent in the front of my pants. I whipped my head upward, and there she was tugging rapidly at the front of her blouse as if she were working hard to dissipate body heat. She saw the expression on my face and could contain herself no longer. Peals of laugher echoed in the produce aisle, as I leaned in close to the back of my shopping cart and pushed it slowly towards the checkout aisle.

Much, much later, when the groceries were all put away and I had a chance to reflect on the events of the day, I too, enjoyed a laugh and a smile. Because life is silly. If you don't laugh the little things off like this, you're just missing the whole damn point.

I was shopping, in the produce section, and the kiwi fruit caught my eye. I've always had a thing for kiwi fruit, because I just love the feel of those bristly little hairs as I run my fingers over them. Always have.

Well, I guess I sorta got carried away because I had a pair of kiwi brushing up against my cheeks when I looked up and noticed the 40-ish looking woman frozen in place. She appeared to have been studying my every move, and she was grinning the way I've always dreamed a woman might grin who caught me doing something far more intimate than assessing the merits of fruit. I gazed into her eyes, and for whatever reason, I couldn't let go. What seemed like an eternity was finally broken when her eyes glanced down and then right back up again. And I thought it not possible, but she was grinning wider now than ever before.

It was damn awkward. I hurried to set the kiwis back down on the display bin. That's when I noticed the tent in the front of my pants. I whipped my head upward, and there she was tugging rapidly at the front of her blouse as if she were working hard to dissipate body heat. She saw the expression on my face and could contain herself no longer. Peals of laugher echoed in the produce aisle, as I leaned in close to the back of my shopping cart and pushed it slowly towards the checkout aisle.

Much, much later, when the groceries were all put away and I had a chance to reflect on the events of the day, I too, enjoyed a laugh and a smile. Because life is silly. If you don't laugh the little things off like this, you're just missing the whole damn point.

Whatever you do, I do NOT recommend drinking copious quanties of kiwifruit juice or even eating alot of them well not unless you have a kiwifruit and a toilet fetish. :rolleyes:

I sense an emerging epidemic of kiwi-fondling in the grocery stores.

Maybe it's the av.

:rolleyes:

As you all know, I'm terribly shy, so just going to school and interacting with new people is a very scary concept for me. Asking for advice, even from those who are there to advise me is even scarier. But I said this year would be about improving me, and we are just now into May and I've already accomplished so much!

I'm looking forward to starting the school process.

The only way to eat an elephant is one McNugget at a time.

When I went back to school, balancing the craziness of the schedule was a challenge. I relied on a planner with color-coded highlighters for different class readings, assignments, work deadlines, etc. I'm sure, with your work background, that keeping all those strands more or less untangled will be second nature. And I think SW is right: teachers want to help, and they like to give advice. Plus, you're paying for it. Good luck!

Last edited:
I sense an emerging epidemic of kiwi-fondling in the grocery stores.

Maybe it's the av.

Do you guys have singles nights at the supermarkets? You know the ones where you put your bananas a certain way up in your trolley to show what sort of relationship you are looking for?

Do you guys have singles nights at the supermarkets? You know the ones where you put your bananas a certain way up in your trolley to show what sort of relationship you are looking for?

No :D Do they *exist*? :D why the fuck would anyone want to pull in a supermarket?! What you gonna do, snog by the frozen peas? Plus no one would be pissed, no way that'd work in the UK. Everyoned just form a queue and moan about the weather awkwardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back