How To Write

Most readers and writers at LIT get no further than the 6th grade, 60 years ago 8th grade was the liomit. That is, don't use 3 syllable words. Stick to 2 syllables.
 
Most readers and writers at LIT get no further than the 6th grade, 60 years ago 8th grade was the limit. That is, don't use 3 syllable words. Stick to 2 syllables.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. A lot of LIT readers are fairly erudite. Sure, there's a lot of illiterates but most of them watch movies, they don't read Literotica. One should write to the audience one wants. We're pretty much writing for ourselves here anyway, it's not like we're paid for it. Whatever anyone says, the book market is huge and yes, if you're writing for the mass market, those reading levels a re something you need to be cognizant of, but there are so many variables.

The genre to start with. If you're writing Science Fiction, your readers tend to be there with you. If you're writing Mack Bolan novels, then yeah, dumb it down for sure. On the other hand, John Ringo with his Kildar series did Mack Bolan Plus and succeeded without dumbing it down at all.

I think you can say the same thing about LIT. It has a huge range of readers and whatever level you write at, you have an audience. Write for 2 syllable readers, and that's what you'll get. Write to multi-syllable audience and that's who you'll get. Write for yourself and let your audience find you. Or know your target audience and write to them. It really depends on what you want yourself.
 
Write what blows your socks off and gets your rocks off. Having passion for the writing and the content can come through your word choice; the ardent desire of the characters you create coming through as you imagine yourself in their place.

I think for anyone trying to improve their writing, starting with the writer resources listed on literotica, making a really solid chapter and looking for a talented editor, is a plan. Also, recognising that the editor you work with could well be a professional or semi-professional and have far greater knowledge of writing than yourself.

I mean honestly. What are the chances that the very first book/story you write is completely perfect and without fault, a work of literary genius, and that you can't be wrong about that?
 
Back
Top