Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Poetry Feedback & Discussion > Poets' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #26
CamronsInsider
Literotica Guru
 
CamronsInsider's Avatar
 
CamronsInsider is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
Whoa! I think my head just exploded!

I reckon I'll just keep on writing my stuff the way I do, without having a theoretical clue, and leave it up to somebody else to say, "Did you know this is what you're doing?"
I like that. Sounds like something I would say. I don't have high expectations. I believe I have a wide range of poems I've written for my wife. There are a few poems that I actually think are good and could be read by others and be liked. Then there are a lot more that remind me of the poem someone writes to shoves in a Christmas letter that sums up what their family did in rhyme. So, I think I have a wide range.
__________________
Ask me a question, if you wonder why. Because, I find curiosity exciting, don't you?


The Best Playground Prediction Ever!!! - Post 234
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #27
CamronsInsider
Literotica Guru
 
CamronsInsider's Avatar
 
CamronsInsider is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHill View Post
Glad to have someone new that wants to write and my best advice would be to just run amuck. There is a weekly challenge based on different themes. Hope to see you there.
Thanks. Don't know that I can write about something I'm challenged to write about. Inspiration is hard for me. Like I said above, much of my writting is tailored to my wife in a hokey sort of way. I'm not here because of those poems. Well maybe If I can make them better. But, I'd like to be able to take inspiration and do even better with it.
__________________
Ask me a question, if you wonder why. Because, I find curiosity exciting, don't you?


The Best Playground Prediction Ever!!! - Post 234
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #28
CamronsInsider
Literotica Guru
 
CamronsInsider's Avatar
 
CamronsInsider is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
I'm with you! for goodness sake can't we just enjoy poetry without analysing the hell out of it?
I believe I'd welcome any kind of thoughts. I'm still working through all this mentally. I'm also sorting through the seemingly 2 different groups I'm now chatting with. Y'all seem very different than the folks on the playground.
__________________
Ask me a question, if you wonder why. Because, I find curiosity exciting, don't you?


The Best Playground Prediction Ever!!! - Post 234
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #29
CamronsInsider
Literotica Guru
 
CamronsInsider's Avatar
 
CamronsInsider is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelyne13 View Post
You're making me think. I appreciate that. Muchas Gracias!!!

I agree with many people here who have pointed out there has always been free verse. The premise of the original question is flawed.

There is no universally easily understood way of defining the difference between prose and free verse. It is easy to identify poetry with a rhyme scheme, so that may lead to it receiving greater acknowledgement.[/quote]

Welcome Madelyne! As folks are helping me discern through my thoughts, what you say makes sense to me. I'm considering doing something I call the "Wine Test". Also, time is rare for me, so don't take my periodic absence as a negative.
__________________
Ask me a question, if you wonder why. Because, I find curiosity exciting, don't you?


The Best Playground Prediction Ever!!! - Post 234
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #30
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
I'm with you! for goodness sake can't we just enjoy poetry without analysing the hell out of it?
I don't think anybody here was telling you how you should or shouldn't enjoy poetry, though?

I enjoy the analysis, and from this discussion I'm assuming Butters does too, but that doesn't create an obligation for anybody else to do the same. I will not be at all offended if people skip the discussion that doesn't interest them.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #31
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamronsInsider View Post
This is WAY too complicated for me. But, that suggests I can learn something here. Thank you!!!
It could be worse! There are other Byron poems where he just throws in a line or two of Greek, assuming that anybody who matters will know what it means.

Classical Greek/Roman poetry was written to be read aloud, so it puts a lot of emphasis on rhythm, and Byron was a big fan of that. There's a lot of technical terminology around rhythm (iambs, dactyls, anapests, trochees, pentameter, hexameter, ...) but the easiest way to get a feel for it is just to read it aloud and listen to how it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
It also has a place in prose, too. Shameless self promotion follows: I've received comments from several people over time that my stories have, "a flow that's almost poetic at times," "an almost poetic style," and one of things I'm very conscious of during edit is the beat and flow of my prose, the cadence and cascade, the rise and fall - and consonance and assonance, as you say, are a part of that (not always consciously, either, but that's how the words arrive on the page).
Yep, I seem to recall noticing that in your stories, and I don't think the line between poetry and prose is always sharply drawn.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #32
electricblue66
Literotica Guru
 
electricblue66 is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
I'm with you! for goodness sake can't we just enjoy poetry without analysing the hell out of it?
We can do both - I admire those minds that can deconstruct content and expose the bones underneath, that the author might not even know is there (consciously, anyway).

I'm a prose writer (so a bit of a ring-in on this forum), and I've had some fine minds read my work and say, "Did you know you do that? Did you know that's how you are doing it?" To which I reply, "Not really, tell me more," and let them eviscerate my psyche.

Writing erotica is an intimate and personal thing which can dig deep into one's subconscious mind (or at least it is for me) and there's something liberating, and fascinating, about sharing it with people who deeply "get" it and can articulate what they see - it's another form of a mirror, reflecting back.
__________________
electricblue

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

E-books and print books available from: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/A_A_Cain
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #33
butters
Literotica Guru
 
butters's Avatar
 
butters is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: home
Posts: 65,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
I'm with you! for goodness sake can't we just enjoy poetry without analysing the hell out of it?
sometimes it can be rewarding to understand why we enjoy it so much, and it certainly can help us understand how we write stuff ourselves - even if it comes after the fact. it's just another learning tool.

the only reason i brought it up was because C.I noted that a lot of his prose had a poetic flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
I don't think anybody here was telling you how you should or shouldn't enjoy poetry, though?

I enjoy the analysis, and from this discussion I'm assuming Butters does too, but that doesn't create an obligation for anybody else to do the same. I will not be at all offended if people skip the discussion that doesn't interest them.
this is the case, for sure

i always preferred writing and then reading over the analysis, but found the act of critiquing and analysis a way to understand the art of writing better and, in turn, how to produce (hopefully) better pieces. a whole lot of what i did was done subconsciously, and it was 1201 who put in me in touch with the cognitive linguistics/poetry way of thinking. i STILL write more or less live, with no clear conception of where a poem will go, but looking back to edit i can see its construction in a clearer manner and adjust with that in mind. i am still a beginner with all that stuff, though, and a freely-admitted "lazy writer".
__________________
William Dement (the father of sleep medicine) said:
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."


Last edited by butters : 02-17-2019 at 04:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #34
butters
Literotica Guru
 
butters's Avatar
 
butters is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: home
Posts: 65,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
We can do both - I admire those minds that can deconstruct content and expose the bones underneath, that the author might not even know is there (consciously, anyway).

I'm a prose writer (so a bit of a ring-in on this forum), and I've had some fine minds read my work and say, "Did you know you do that? Did you know that's how you are doing it?" To which I reply, "Not really, tell me more," and let them eviscerate my psyche.

Writing erotica is an intimate and personal thing which can dig deep into one's subconscious mind (or at least it is for me) and there's something liberating, and fascinating, about sharing it with people who deeply "get" it and can articulate what they see - it's another form of a mirror, reflecting back.
yup

i'd always say write how it feels right to write and worry about the other stuff after the fact. some people enjoy the learning process of poetry more than others, and a few years back i was completely in the dark about this cognitive stuff till 1201 told me about it.
__________________
William Dement (the father of sleep medicine) said:
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."

  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #35
HarryHill
Just Chilling
 
HarryHill's Avatar
 
HarryHill is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 7 miles from Backwater
Posts: 8,903
It came to me that I could help you understand free verse better if I compared it to jazz, Same kind of technique
__________________

Fairyland Theatre a three act comedy in prose and poetry... A sheened pearl of ice in the feeble dawn,
cracked, flawed, a chip gone, ghostly quiet in a misty fen, shattered with the first roar, melted with flames.


0 days accident free


"I'll never be a poet" - The Harry
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #36
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 15,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
I don't think anybody here was telling you how you should or shouldn't enjoy poetry, though?

I enjoy the analysis, and from this discussion I'm assuming Butters does too, but that doesn't create an obligation for anybody else to do the same. I will not be at all offended if people skip the discussion that doesn't interest them.
It's a joke m'dear. Dry English humour
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 12:27 AM   #37
Pocketshaver
Really Really Experienced
 
Pocketshaver is offline
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 308
Beowulf is NOT fucking POETRY.

its an epic saga you twits.....


However poetry is a joke, a lame joke. Sure its cute to write little things now and then, but in reality it really is nothing more then little balls on outhouse walls.



90% of so called poetry has been nothing but an attempt by over wealthy lazy people to have a claim to doing something.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 03:08 AM   #38
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketshaver View Post
Beowulf is NOT fucking POETRY.
Wrong.

Quote:
its an epic saga you twits.....
It certainly is, but I don't know where you got the idea that "epic saga" and "poetry" are mutually exclusive.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #39
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 15,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHill View Post
..
Not in bed yet? or up early?
Probably wasn't in bed when I should have been I always was a night owl and I talk to my American friends then.
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #40
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 15,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketshaver View Post
Beowulf is NOT fucking POETRY.

its an epic saga you twits.....


However poetry is a joke, a lame joke. Sure its cute to write little things now and then, but in reality it really is nothing more then little balls on outhouse walls.



90% of so called poetry has been nothing but an attempt by over wealthy lazy people to have a claim to doing something.
The owner of this whole site is also a poet and I'm betting she'll disagree with you on that!
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #41
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 15,340
GLOSSARY OF POETIC TERMS
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #42
Piscator
Literotica Guru
 
Piscator's Avatar
 
Piscator is offline
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHill View Post
It came to me that I could help you understand free verse better if I compared it to jazz, Same kind of technique
The quote "Music is the space between the notes" which is attributed toClude Debussy but I've always associated with Miles Davis comes to mind and cerainly applies to poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketshaver View Post
90% of so called poetry has been nothing but an attempt by over wealthy lazy people to have a claim to doing something.
I suppose in a worldwide sense I might be considered "over wealthy." This might be one of the few times I'm part of a majority.
__________________
Piscator

Something's fishy here
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #43
butters
Literotica Guru
 
butters's Avatar
 
butters is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: home
Posts: 65,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketshaver View Post
Beowulf is NOT fucking POETRY.

its an epic saga you twits.....


However poetry is a joke, a lame joke. Sure its cute to write little things now and then, but in reality it really is nothing more then little balls on outhouse walls.



90% of so called poetry has been nothing but an attempt by over wealthy lazy people to have a claim to doing something.
...andddddd, you thought you'd come here, to a poetry forum, to make your cute little statement. don't tell me, your poetry sucks, right?
__________________
William Dement (the father of sleep medicine) said:
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."

  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #44
CamronsInsider
Literotica Guru
 
CamronsInsider's Avatar
 
CamronsInsider is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
It could be worse! There are other Byron poems where he just throws in a line or two of Greek, assuming that anybody who matters will know what it means.

Classical Greek/Roman poetry was written to be read aloud, so it puts a lot of emphasis on rhythm, and Byron was a big fan of that. There's a lot of technical terminology around rhythm (iambs, dactyls, anapests, trochees, pentameter, hexameter, ...) but the easiest way to get a feel for it is just to read it aloud and listen to how it sounds.



Yep, I seem to recall noticing that in your stories, and I don't think the line between poetry and prose is always sharply drawn.

Ok, let's just say that on a scale of 1 to 10, I think about myself and my poetry as a 1, and I'm thinking I could maybe double that to a 2 here, which would be a great improvement. I'm definitely leaning towards the "wine test" - I just need to find the content for it.

If anything, I think the whole idea of the "Wine Test" might be appealing and could be my initiating contribution to the poems group. I"m working on it. This is not easy. I very much apprecaite the encouragement.
__________________
Ask me a question, if you wonder why. Because, I find curiosity exciting, don't you?


The Best Playground Prediction Ever!!! - Post 234
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #45
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamronsInsider View Post
If anything, I think the whole idea of the "Wine Test" might be appealing and could be my initiating contribution to the poems group. I"m working on it. This is not easy. I very much apprecaite the encouragement.
What's the Wine Test?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #46
electricblue66
Literotica Guru
 
electricblue66 is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
What's the Wine Test?
Everything reads better with a glass of good red?
__________________
electricblue

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

E-books and print books available from: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/A_A_Cain
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #47
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 15,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
...andddddd, you thought you'd come here, to a poetry forum, to make your cute little statement. don't tell me, your poetry sucks, right?
Probably doesn't realise we don't talk to people like that over here in the poetry forum ........ who would have thunk it?
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #48
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jazzonia
Posts: 26,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
The owner of this whole site is also a poet and I'm betting she'll disagree with you on that!
Also he's wrong. It's an epic saga in the form of a narrative poem. Historically the unknown author has been referred to as an Anglo Saxon poet. But I doubt the poster gives a fuck about that. Trolling this forum? Big fun (though heaven knows why). Poetry, not so much.
__________________
There's no secret to becoming a writer: you read and you write.
~Chaim Potok


Easy does it

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #49
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 15,340
I've started a Form Poetry Thread Do follow the link and come and play, you may be surprised how many forms don't actually rhyme and/or enjoy those that do
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #50
CamronsInsider
Literotica Guru
 
CamronsInsider's Avatar
 
CamronsInsider is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketshaver View Post
Beowulf is NOT fucking POETRY.

its an epic saga you twits.....


However poetry is a joke, a lame joke. Sure its cute to write little things now and then, but in reality it really is nothing more then little balls on outhouse walls.



90% of so called poetry has been nothing but an attempt by over wealthy lazy people to have a claim to doing something.
WoW! We're allowed to use bad words on this site?
__________________
Ask me a question, if you wonder why. Because, I find curiosity exciting, don't you?


The Best Playground Prediction Ever!!! - Post 234
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.