My Zombie Shelter (open to everyone)

I had watched intently during her search of Mike. She was thorough, but this whole thing seemed pointless. Mike and I had made no secret of the fact that we were armed. Shit, not ten minutes ago I was at full draw ready to ventilate some dude I had never met. This was insane, but then again this whole situation was insane.
Here we stood in the middle of nowhere ready to enter some kind of compound that although well built, was impossible for one guy to guard. Not only were there guard towers on every corner, but there seemed to be no quick way to traverse between them. Another troubling things was as well as it had been built, why would you open it up to strangers? I had so many questions and now the thought of being searched was pinging my trouble radar something fierce.
The young woman turned to me and donned a look of 'Anytime asshole'. I moved toward her sliding my rifle from my shoulder. I leaned my AR10 against the wall and started to turn toward it but stopped. This was too bazaar, too easy almost. I knew Mike had my back but he was effectively disarmed. He may be able to sick Max on her, but what is to say that he would give a shit about me?
"What is the point of searching us?" I said looking directly at her. "My rifle is right there and my pistol is here on my side, so I'd say the mysteries of whether or not I am armed are pretty much solved. I haven't given anyone a reason to think I am dangerous. Trust me honey, if I wanted you dead, you'd be dead."
I was looking right at her now. My arms were at my side, but my hands were near enough to be able to let my .45 go to work. I knew I had only one shot, but all I needed was a few seconds to load my mag and it would be show time.
I hadn't originally planned on a confrontation, but something didn't smell right and I had learned to trust my instincts.

I looked right at the man who asked me the question of 'why'. "Guy who runs this compound says. Can you blame him, with the zombies out? Besides, what's the harm? Yeah, I showed all my goods to him as well. Still had to get searched. It'll be quick and simple, I ain't doing a strip search." I glanced him up and down. While both the men looked somewhat in decent shape, and I had the feeling the other one's words were true. "These are rough times. Can't be too careful. I understand it. You can too. Now hands up, and face the wall. I ain't a kid. I know how to handle myself."

I crossed my arms and looked at him.

I stood where I was. She had made a few good points, but at the same time, she had made my points for me. These were tough times, yet I am supposed to turn my back to someone while spread eagle against a wall, right. I lift my arms outward but remained where I stood.
"If this isn't a strip search, it shouldn't be a problem with me facing you. I have no doubt that you can handle yourself, but do not assume that I can't as well."
I had made my mind up, they knew I was armed, hell everyone was, but I don't know these people. Now some kid from God knows where is expecting me to let her put hands on me? I stood my ground and met her gaze.
"Get to it if you're gonna, but don't finger the gun, no reason it can't stay right there."

"Fine." I snapped. I began my search of him and made sure to be extra thorough. I wasn't trustin' this guy, no way in hell I was. I maybe young, but I ain't stupid.

"You're clean," I grumbled. "Just to let you know, I always carry somethin' on me myself, so if it comes to that, I won't be unarmed."

I flipped my bangs out of my face and rolled my eyes.

She had hastily run her hands over me attempting to ferret out any hidden weapons. When she was done she stepped back and tried to save face from bending at my challenge.
You're clean, she said in a huff Just to let you know, I always carry somethin' on me myself, so if it comes to that, I won't be unarmed.
I couldn't help but smile at her. In a way it was kind of cute the way she was projecting her strength. I didn't doubt for a moment that she could, it was just amusing that she thought she would have the need to.
"Fair enough, I'll be ready. this isn't my first rodeo either. Just remember, any further than your arm length away, and you'll have nothing but another hole in that pretty little head of yours."
We had both drawn our lines in the sand, it was now just a waiting game to see who crossed whose first. I shouldered my rifle and began to make my way further into the compound. As I passed her I turned to put the finishing touch on our exchange.
"Smile sweetheart, it's the second best thing you can do with your mouth."

That did it. Now, I wasn't exactly the most innocent girl on the face of the planet, I had done more than my fair share of acts and 'sins'. However, this wasn't the time or place, and I certainly wasn't in the mood.

I did an illusion and kicked the back of his head, regained balance, and pulled out my SIG in one hand, an Explorer M-II boot knife in the other. "That don't matter no more, nobody around to give that sorta thing to. Besides, do you think it'd be wise to smile at a man I don't trust?"

I sat there, in a half crouch, the SIG trained on his neck, the knife trained on his jewels. "I could make you sing soprano," I warned.

I had just made it past her when I felt the impact to the back of my head. I fell forward losing my rifle and trying to catch myself on my hands. I hit the ground and rolled to my back as my hand found my pistol and released it from the holster. By the time I had stopped moving she was on top of me with her Sig sidearm pointed at my head.

That don't matter no more, nobody around to give that sorta thing to. Besides, do you think it'd be wise to smile at a man I don't trust?

Suddenly I felt what I could only describe as a pin prick to the right of my nutsack.

I could make you sing soprano.,

she said with an air of confidence.
Panic struck me for a moment but I gripped my pistol tighter, and decided that now was no time to show fear.

"You could, but you left a shooter with a loaded gun in his hand. While it's true that with a flick of your wrist, you could change my disposition, with a six and half pound twitch of my finger, this forty five caliber will separate your ass from your tits."

Her eyes glanced toward the Kimber.

"That's right, I dropped the mag, but never cleared the chamber. Now I don't give a shit if you trust me or not, but if you wanna roll the dice and take your chances, let's do it. This ground is hard and I could use a drink of water."

I hoped she wouldn't call my bluff again.

I glanced at the Kimber, then back at him. "Fine."

I holstered my gun right where it normally goes- down my shirt, into it's custom holder. An engagement present from my grandfather. I flipped my knife back up into my hand, the blade in my palm. I kissed the handle before slipping it into my holster on the side of my hip.

"I ain't gonna fight no more, not today. It'd be nice to have a couple of partners to spar against sometime," I added, nodding towards Mike, who looked somewhat confused at the exchange that just happened.

Her display with the knife gave me an unsettling feeling. 'I think I'll bunk in the guard towers' I thought to myself. That little girl was stone cold deadly. It was eerie, and erotic at the same time. She finally got off of me and I made it to my feet.

Fine.I ain't gonna fight no more, not today. It'd be nice to have a couple of partners to spar against sometime.

She gave a glance toward Mike who had been watching the display intently. I walked over to my rifle and picked it up giving it good look for damage. The scope had been a rare find in an army surplus store that I had passed just shortly after the outbreak. Satisfied that it was no worse for wear, I function tested the bolt carrier and slung it back on my shoulder.

"Sparring? I figure we'll get a good bit of practice killin once the walkers run out of things to eat out there. How about we shut that gate and then if you could point me toward the water...like I said, I'm a little thirsty."

I started to the gate and then stopped.

"Name's Randy by the way. Make sure you spell it right if you bury me."

I smiled broadly at her and then made my way over to clos the gate. 'This could be more dangerous than the walkers.' I thought.

I nodded at him, and gave a small smile. Sometimes, men needed a reminder that some women are just as deadly as them. "Name's Alli. That'll be spelt wrong on my tombstone." I said. "Water's over that way. While you're off drinkin', I'll probably be right here. Nice little open space to practice forms in."

When she spoke I stopped to listen.

Name's Alli. That'll be spelt wrong on my tombstone. Water's over that way. While you're off drinkin', I'll probably be right here. Nice little open space to practice forms in.

"Alli, had a dog named that once, hated that bitch."

I couldn't help laugh out loud. It had been a while since I had even had the opportunity to tease someone, and for some reason, I thought she would be able to take it. I slid the magazine for the Kimber out of my pocket and into the mag well before holstering it.

"Have fun with that, if you need me to watch your form, I'll be back in a bit."

With that last little jab and a quick wink, I turned and headed to lock the gate.

Rolling my eyes, I started stretching. It'd been a long while since I had, and my poor muscles were screaming for it. I had stretched when I could, but that hadn't been nearly as often as I'd like.

I started on the ground, going immediately into a wide straddle, and started. I worked into my splits, and some of the other stretches I did for my legs. It felt so good.

I managed to get the gate secure and thought since we were now all in here, I might as well look around a bit. The first thing I wanted to check out was one of the guard towers. It would be nice to have a high vantage point to glass around a bit and take in the lay of the land.
I walked the wall until I came to door opening that led to a staircase. I made my way up and into a small room maybe six foot square. There were no windows, just a roof supported by columns at the corners. The surrounding walls came to about the waist and there was a solitary chair in a corner. This was definitely made for temporary residence. No protection from the elements except for the roof, and the walls were just high enough to provide a solid rest for shooting.
I pulled the chair to the wall facing the courtyard slid my rifle from my shoulder. I extended the bipod and sat down taking a rest on the wall. This was perfect, clear vision, steady rest, I could have some fun up here.
I lowered the scope to the courtyard and adjusted the zoom until Alli became clear in the eye piece. She was doing some kind of stretch where her ass was in the air and her upper body was flat to the ground.
'Wow!" I almost said out loud, 'why are the dangerous ones so damned fine?'
Deciding to have a little more fun before surveying the area, I called down to her.
"Hey Alli! Smile for the flash!" I laughed as I watched her look up and then flip me the bird.

I looked up at Randy and flipped him the bird. The idiot was still toying with me. As I was still somewhat exhausted, I didn't want to fight. He knew I was dangerous, I had made that abudantly clear. It's why I was essentially a bouncer at frat parties. I cut people off, then if they decided to get mad at me, it was my job to set 'em straight. Guys two, three times my size.

I came down from my stretch and stood up, dusting myself off. Now, I think I was ready to do my forms. Before the world decided to become hell, I had taken up kung fu as my martial art. I was pretty good at it, doing a lot of good for my tournament team.

"Rai," I whispered as I went through the ritualistic bow before a member of my school performed their form.

I took position into my horse stance and started into Si-Lum-Yi, my moves quick and precise.

Things went straight to shit after she searched Randy.

Both of them were antagonizing each other. I just stood still with Max on lead and watched, and listened, to the exchange.

When Randy turned around to go, she performed a serious kick to the back of his head. My eyes went wide, and I pulled Max to me, reaching and grabbing him by the thick leather collar he wore. Max immediately sounded off, his attention focused on the movement. He began to lunge towards her, and I fought hard to keep him beside me.

And then both produced their sidearms and there was a stand-off.

I had my dog in one hand and I had somehow slipped my Glock 21C from the holster that I carried on the duty rig over my shoulder. I had the front sight on her head.

I had just made a new friend with Randy. And, fine as she was or not, she wasn't going to make me un-friend him this soon.

I didn't say a word. I just listened instead.

The stand-off was over as soon as it started. I shook my head after the two continued to make jabs at each other.

After Randy had walked away and Alli started with some type of martial arts kata, I reset Max's ready switch and put my gear back on.

"Hey," I called to her, "I don't mean to interrupt your martial arts exercise, but I've got a car stashed in the woods about a quarter mile out. I've got some gear in it, some rations, food for Max," I said nodding towards the German Shepherd Dog, "and other stuff."

"Do you need help, then?" I asked cautiously, finishing up my exercise with rai again. "I'll be glad to." I dusted myself off again and walked over and offered my hand to shake. "I'm sorry for my behavior earlier. A bit. . . uneasy is all."

"Do you need help, then?" I asked cautiously, finishing up my exercise with rai again. "I'll be glad to." I dusted myself off again and walked over and offered my hand to shake. "I'm sorry for my behavior earlier. A bit. . . uneasy is all."

I took her hand in mine, and of course Max had to get his nose up there to give her a sniff over. At least he didn't goose her in the crotch, the way he's known to do sometimes.

"Mike Taylor," I told her. "I was planning on driving the car up here," I explained to her. "It has just about an eighth of a tank of gas in it, so this is about as far as it will go." I picked my Oakleys out of my shirt pocket and then thought better of putting them on. The day had lost its light and was pretty much dark. I knew it would be surely dark by the time I walked the quarter mile or so to where I had stashed the Subaru. Max and I could make the walk to the car in the dark, although it wasn't something I really liked doing. Traveling at night was dangerous. I had relied on Max's sensitive hearing and smell to navigate through and around the undead that I had encountered during my trip out here. It would be better to have another to come along.

"I guess it would be okay to bring the car inside here?" I asked as I gestured to where we stood inside the safety of the compound. "And, yeah, I'd like very much to have someone else to come with us, me and Max. Especially someone who obviously can handle themselves in a fight. As a matter of fact, two more wouldn't hurt, although it will be a bit cramped riding back. Lots of gear in the Subaru."

I smiled. I couldn't help but add this:

"You can sit in my lap."

I lowered the rifle and stood to survey the area. Things looked a good bit different up here. They were pretty isolated here and the only sign of civilization was a cell tower just visible in the distance. Twilight was setting in and things were quiet except for the voices of Mike and Alli.
I couldn't hear what they were saying but they seemed to be getting along quite well.
'Go Mike, ' I thought as I watched the two talk. 'But watch your balls buddy, she has a thing for blades' my thoughts causing my hand to move to my groin. My Surefire flashlight was going dim, but I was starving so I exited the tower to search the compound for something to eat. When I got inside, the place was a labyrinth of hallways and rooms. It had probably been built that way to slow down the progress of intruders that made it this far. The first couple of rooms revealed nothing, but the third was a kitchen.
"Pay dirt" I said to no one and started rifling through the cupboards for some grub.

Rolling my eyes, I laughed. "Sure, that shouldn't be a problem." Making sure that I transfered my SIG to my hip holster so I had easier access, I smoothed out my hair and looked at Mike. For someone in his 30's, he didn't look half bad. I liked the looks of him, and for some reason I instinctively trusted him more than Randy. "Ready to go when you are," I mentioned softly.

The place was actually pretty well stocked. Whoever had built it either had prepared for months, or had made several trips to scavenge for supplies. There were stacks of canned friuts and vegetables. The stash contained multiple boxes of dried goos such as pasta and even milk.
I grabbed a can of peaches and popped the top. They tasted divine, after weeks on end of either killing or stealing whatever I could find just to eat. Now I had a regular buffet of items to choose from.
I moved about the room checking out the various supplies stored and came upon a Coleman lamp. It was one of the newer propane type, so I picked itup and shook the bottle. I was elated at hearing the liquid fuel slosh around and after a quick search I found a box of matches. Within a few seconds the dimming of my flashlight became irrelavent as the room filled with light form the lantern.
"Holy Shit!" I said to no one as I surveyed the massive amount of supplies stacked against the walls. I finished the peaches and and deposited the empty can in a trash can by the door. With my hunger pains tempraily sated, I moved out of the kitchen and further into the building.
'I wonder where the guns are.' I thought as I moved further into the building.

Rolling my eyes, I laughed. "Sure, that shouldn't be a problem." Making sure that I transfered my SIG to my hip holster so I had easier access, I smoothed out my hair and looked at Mike. For someone in his 30's, he didn't look half bad. I liked the looks of him, and for some reason I instinctively trusted him more than Randy. "Ready to go when you are," I mentioned softly.

I nodded my head. "I'm not real excited about going out after dark," I re-stated. "I'd like to find Randy and take him with us."

I looked her in the eyes. "I trust him," I told her. "And I think it's a good idea to have another person with us. Another gun."

I didn't expect to run into any of the creatures because I hadn't seen any when I stashed the car and made my way here. However, those things moved in unpredictable patterns. They wandered randomly and were drawn to sounds and light, that much I learned on my own. Having Randy along with us, with her, me, and Max, just made me feel a bit more comfortable.

"And," I told her, "maybe when we get back I can introduce you to the best home cooked meal of macaroni and cheese with canned ham you've ever had."

I remembered there being some of that in one of the grocery bags of food I had plundered at a stop I had made somewhere on the road. I remembered going in the small grocery store and only having to take out one of the undead. He had been a store employee, a butcher by the look of him, and had gotten locked in the freezer before he died and turned. The freezer had long since lost power, and the whole inside of it was full of rotting meat and rotting human flesh. That was the only time, so far, I had thrown up after killing one of those things.

I had been wandering around for a good bit on the lower level without finding anything of particular value. As I moved from room to room, the thought that I hadn't seen anyone from the party that had entered the compound earlier, except for the karate kid with the knives.
'Where in the fuck did those other two guys go?' I kept asking myself over and over. Growing more and more uneasy at the possible answers I decided I should go get some backup before continuing my exploration. Maybe Alli could shed a little light on the whereabouts of the others.
'For all I know she could have left them nutless in a heap in the basement.' I though as I made my way back to the entrance and doused the lantern. When I opened the door I heard Mike say something about macaroni and cheese and canned ham.
"Dude! You have ham? Where, cause there is a shitload of stuff in there to go with it."

"Dude! You have ham? Where, cause there is a shitload of stuff in there to go with it."

"Ham I do have," I answered him. "The issue is getting to it." I looked up at the sky. Night had fallen and it was indeed dark. "Ali and I were going to make a run to the Subaru to pick it up, and the ham that goes with it.

"Those things come out a night," I continued, stating something that I was sure both knew already. The zombies moved at night just like the boogie man in some scary story you heard as a kid. "And the more 'us' there are the better we can handle 'them'".

"You in?" I asked Randy. Max looked at Randy and cocked his head to the side as if to say "yeah, bro, you coming?".

I thought about his proposal. For weeks I had searched for a place of safety, a haven away from the madness, and I had managed to find a virtual fortress. I liked Mike, I would even say I trusted him, but the thought of going outside of these walls and face walkers just for some canned ham...seemed ludacris.
However, if we were going o go tonight, the car was obviously close. There would be three of us and although I wasn't sure about Ali's skill in a fight, I was definitely glad she was on my side. I also really wanted meat other than deer or rat. It had been so long since I had eaten anything that I hadn't killed or trapped myself, that the more I considered it, the more I came on board.
I grabbed the magazine from my pocket and slid it into the well of my kimber. I pulled the slide back just enough to confirm I still had one in the chamber. I reholstered the pistol and slung my AR back on my shoulder.
"Yeah, I got your back." I said to Mike as I made my way toward the gate. "Where's the pig?"

Back