What is poly?

Both, I think. A relationship where there is not an established, sort of Alpha pair plus one more. A relationship where all three partners have an equal part.
Think about 3 siblings. Ok. Now think about 2 siblings, and a parent gets remarried and a step-sibling is brought in. Most of the relationships sound like the latter, and I am wondering if anyone had ever achieved anything more like the former.

When my dominant met his other submissive she was never thought of as an unicorn or add-on to our established couplehood. Originally I was thinking it would be more of the kind of triad you are thinking of but it's more of a V would a dotted line between the tops of the V. Meaning she and I are friendly but we do not have a romantic or sexual relationship in the way we each do individually with our dominant. She and I are about as equal as a relationship of this sort can be.

Both, I think. A relationship where there is not an established, sort of Alpha pair plus one more. A relationship where all three partners have an equal part.
Think about 3 siblings. Ok. Now think about 2 siblings, and a parent gets remarried and a step-sibling is brought in. Most of the relationships sound like the latter, and I am wondering if anyone had ever achieved anything more like the former.

Ah, right. I misunderstood what you meant by "equal" there.

I think it'd be possible to have a relationship that's "equal" in the sense of no clearly defined alpha/alpha pair. Most of the poly relationships I've seen built up connection at a time, so you'd usually have a couple who were there before the third member joined, but relationship dynamics will shift over time.

I think the relationship between Person A and Person B is always going to have a different flavour to the relationship between A and C, or B and C, just because every person is different.

Ah, right. I misunderstood what you meant by "equal" there.

I think it'd be possible to have a relationship that's "equal" in the sense of no clearly defined alpha/alpha pair. Most of the poly relationships I've seen built up connection at a time, so you'd usually have a couple who were there before the third member joined, but relationship dynamics will shift over time.

I think the relationship between Person A and Person B is always going to have a different flavour to the relationship between A and C, or B and C, just because every person is different.

Yes, I think it is inevitable that the involved relationships will shift over time.
To me it works the same with all relationships.
In my longterm relationships with someone else we are sometimes closer than at other times.
If I look at my relationships with friends and family, who I felt closest to has changed over time as circumstances changed.

Thank you all - this is what I was wondering about, if anyone had ever achieved. Thank for being so patient and tolerant with this thread! :heart:

Back