The Savage Shore Universe

Answering a UaSS comment

I decided to take a look at the comments on Chapter 23 of ‘Upon a Savage Shore’ because I noticed there were a lot more than the last time I looked at them. I came across one that struck me as both odd and interesting.

“Great...however...
by Anonymous user on ‎05/‎06/‎2017
I won't reiterate what the other 198 comments have said about how great the story is, as I think that point has already been clearly made. :)

I just wanted to comment here that the epilogue made no sense to me. Assuming that the CP had picked up on the pod's distress signal all those months ago, neither the CP nor the jZav'Etch could have any way of knowing who (if anyone) had survived up until now. Nor could they know, even if they assumed there were survivors, if they had not gone crazy from being isolated, or become savages (a la Lord of the Flies), or any of a myriad of other possibilities. Yet "as part of the treaty" they had, sight-unseen, given him both a high governmental position as well as a high military rank, as well as provided them with children and all the other things? Really stretching the credulity and suspension of disbelief.

"Before the armistice was signed, we recovered six parties like yours."

"Twenty-two other groups of castaways like yours have been rescued or contacted by us since the armistice was signed last month."

So if they had only rescued 6 other parties of mixed human and jZav'Etch, why or how would they even consider or hope that he in particular was still alive? And what would make a lone CP sergeant more important than the other 22 CP males that had been found/rescued? Lastly, why would any government sign a treaty that included provisions for a CP sergeant that they hadn't even found yet?”

Let me clarify a couple of things before I address the objections:

1) The commenter is assuming all the groups were made up of a Human male and jZav`Etch females. I never said that in the story. I never even considered that would be the case. A couple of the groups were composed entirely of males. A couple of the groups were composed entirely of females. Some groups had jZav`Etch males as the leader. Some had Human females leading. Remember, jZav`Etch mentality is to place the best person for the job in charge. That should be obvious by the way Commander M`pel E`kmel allows Sergeant Liam Carter to take command of the party in a very dangerous survival situation.

2) Before the armistice was signed the jZav`Etch recovered six groups of jZav`Etch and Humans who had been living and working together for their survival. That was a big part of why the Hegemony approached the Conglomerated Planets proposing an armistice. This was done BEFORE the armistice which means the CP was not involved.

3) After the armistice was signed both governments worked together to rescue or make contact with twenty-two more groups of castaways. Make special note of “make contact”. That should suggest there were others like Liam and his wives who did not wish to leave the world on which they had been stranded. Understanding that is important to the points I will make later.

4) A total of 28 mixed groups were either rescued or contacted prior to Liam and his wives being contacted. That does not mean no other groups would be found. It also should suggest Liam was not of particular noteworthiness to the Conglomerated Planets or the jZav`Etch Hegemony. In fact, if Liam had been picked out as important wouldn’t they have rushed to his rescue far sooner? Wouldn’t he have been the first person they went to recover? And yet Liam was number 29 on the list.

Though I never stated it blatantly the simple answer to the objections made in the comment is Liam Carter was not the only individual to receive a “high governmental position” and a “high military rank” as a consequence of the armistice treaty. It was actually a clause in the treaty that provided for the possibility Humans and jZav`Etch would join in a familial relationship (Household) and then not wish to leave whatever planet they were on. Rather than risk a diplomatic incident and possibly strain relations between the two governments it was simpler for the negotiators to create political posts that are little more than honorary.

Technically, Liam and the others like him, are the military governors of whatever planet they are on, but the planets are outside the bounds of the Hegemony and the natives (if any are present) are not protectorate races. Therefore, in reality, the newly minted military governors have no actual power inside the Hegemony. What’s more, they are reserve officers without any connections in the command structure of the CP military. The only troops they are likely ever to command are the handful of staff they are entitled to. Therefore, in reality, they have no actual power in the Conglomerated Planets. Saying that Liam has a high military and political rank is like saying the Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of Water Buffalos is a high ranking political official because he was elected by a bunch of guys to lead their secret society.

Perhaps it is fitting to compare Liam to the King of Beasts. He is much like a lion. As long as you stay out of his territory he can’t kill and eat you. Enter his territory and things change. On his planet Liam is Lord High Executioner. Off of it, he’s just some regular Joe with a nice title and some credentials that don’t really mean much.

I hope that clears things up for this commenter and anyone else who was thinking along those same lines.
 
Thanks for all the work you have done so far

I already sent you a pm stating how much I enjoy your work, but I was afraid that you may not receive it. When I read that you were deleting storm world I was worried about the future of that story, but after reading this tread I'm not too worried about it and I'm looking forward to storm world 2.0
In short, I thoroughly enjoy reading everything that you have posted to date, and I wait anxiously for your next post.

PS. The idea of Intel reports is awesome and the mercenary story seems interesting.
 
5 Stars.

Oh crap, sorry about the title. It was habit.
I know I'm coming to this late in the game. I started reading UaSs earlier this week and just BINGED my way through to SW CH 10.
I was pretty upset when you said you're redoing SW but your you've done a great job so far so If that's what you think is needed I know the rest of us will be here waiting with baited breath. Well, probably more like tyin off the tourniquet and slappin the main vein but you know what I mean.

Anyway, I hope the RL job crap isn't still gettin to ya. Stay healthy man. That's the most important thing. The rest of us can wait.

God speed Spiderman

...and now to pick an icon. hmmm. I like redface.
 
Issues

Is anyone else having trouble getting their profile page to load? When I sign in all I get is a blank white page. I have sent a message to LitErotica, but have not had a reply yet.
 
Update 8-7-2018

Just taking a quick break and thought I would let folks know I have finally come up with a solid opening for the next installment in the UaSS series. I also have a good idea of how to end the story. Things between are vague for the moment but now I know where I am going with the plot and I should be able to work it all out.

This story will be the follow-up to the original 'Upon a Savage Shore' and it will feature the original cast of characters. The story takes place two Earth Standard years after the battle that set Liam on a collision course with the jZav`Etch who would become his wives. There is a lot of work to do and I am not sure how much time I will have to work on it, but maybe I can have it posted around the first of the year.

For those of you still wondering about Storm World all I can say is I do not know why it has not yet been deleted from the site and I have done very little work on editing it. I did fix the first chapter and have tinkered with the second, but the project just does not inspire me. I'll pick at a bit from time to time and maybe I'll get interested again, but I make no promises.
 
Just taking a quick break and thought I would let folks know I have finally come up with a solid opening for the next installment in the UaSS series. I also have a good idea of how to end the story. Things between are vague for the moment but now I know where I am going with the plot and I should be able to work it all out.

This story will be the follow-up to the original 'Upon a Savage Shore' and it will feature the original cast of characters. The story takes place two Earth Standard years after the battle that set Liam on a collision course with the jZav`Etch who would become his wives. There is a lot of work to do and I am not sure how much time I will have to work on it, but maybe I can have it posted around the first of the year.

For those of you still wondering about Storm World all I can say is I do not know why it has not yet been deleted from the site and I have done very little work on editing it. I did fix the first chapter and have tinkered with the second, but the project just does not inspire me. I'll pick at a bit from time to time and maybe I'll get interested again, but I make no promises.


I await your next story in the UaSS series, as for storm world you do what you have to do. If you need some help in getting things back on track send a message to tefler who is the author of three square meals, he may be able to help with things
 
Have greatly enjoyed UaSS and A World For The Taking and was really getting into Storm World. I hoe you come back to it, with or without redoing what you have already posted. It is complex and perhaps not as crisp as you would like but you have me hooked.
I got a Lit account solely so I message you and will keep hoping.
Thanks for some wonderful stories.
 
Update and new story.

So I have been gone for a while and some folks have been checking in on me to make sure I am still above ground. I am. I'm doing pretty well, a little creaky in the joints, but all right generally.

I would like to thank everyone who has been leaving comments on my stories. I was a little uncertain how 'A World for the Taking' would be received, and I was gratified by the many positive comments and PMs. I have an idea for a sort-of-kind-of sequel, but only an idea.

Next: A lot of readers are wondering what is up with 'Storm World'. I spent considerable time editing and rearranging the existing chapters including some that were never posted because they were so rough. However, I am still finding it hard to get into. I do not know why. I have once again put it on hold, though I do like the new version much better than the original which, for some reason, remains up if you want to read through it. I will not be posting the new versions of the chapters until the entire story is complete.

Also, I kicked around a sequel for 'Upon a Savage Shore' so long it turned into two plots. The difficulty is making one or the other cohesive. I have to figure out which scenes work with which plot and then I have to figure out which plot occurs first. Worse than that, I have the seed of an idea for a short story that takes place between the attack on the cephalopod ship and the arrival of the rescue ship. I don't think I want to do that one, but I may sketch it and refer to it at some point.

The big news! I just wrote a short story that takes place in the UaSS universe called 'Captives, Slavers, Killers'. I will be submitting it after I post this on the forum. Unlike my previous stories, this one is a complete short story broken into chapters but it's all in one upload. Another aspect of it is that it is Part 1. The short story is complete, but it fits into a larger framework with maybe two more parts. I just don't have the plots figured out for those. When will they be available? I have no idea. This is a case where I know something happens after the story, I just don't know exactly what it is.

Again, thanks for reading my stuff. Thanks especially for commenting. 'Favorites' are nice, but comments encourage. Happy reading!

Note: Please remember I delete anonymous emails without reading them. If you wish to PM me, sign into your account and go to my profile to use that link to my gmail.
 
Over the last few years I've gotten requests for artwork of my characters. The trouble with that is there isn't any. I used to draw back when I was in school, but I am so out of practice I don't think I could do any justice to the effort.

That said, there are a bunch of good artists on sites like Deviant Art, Fur Affinity, New Grounds and Hentai Foundry. Most of them draw their characters with hair and my jZav`Etch do not have hair like Humans. The Thahn`Den have manes, but manes do not look like hair. If you find an image you think comes close to what I have described, please let us know where we can see it. Or if you happen to be an artist you could post a picture to your LitErotica page and let everyone know. I think the site would be okay with that if you label it fan art for the Savage Shore Universe. I would like to see some drawings, actually. It would let me know how good of a job I have done communicating what my characters look like. Just remember the rules of the site. Don't go posting explicit pictures depicting Tammy or any of the other kids from 'A World for the Taking".
 
Call for assisstance

I just learned that some son of a bitch STOLE 'A World for the Taking'. He has it on Amazon titled 'The Girl: A Classic Space Opera' and he goes by the handle David Hillenbrand. If you like my work and want to help, please leave a review on that book saying he stole the text from this site. I tried to do that but I can't leave a review because I have not spent $50 on Amazon. I have already made an inquiry into getting the copy removed under copyright laws.

To be clear, I do not believe there is a David Hillenbrand. I do not believe this was done by a lone operator. My guess is that there is a small group, probably from outside the US and they steal stories and make money. Take a look at the other books by the same author and if you see stories you recognize, get in touch with those authors.

Thanks very much to the fan who notified me. You know who you are.
 
Amazon case update

I just filled out Amazon's complaint form. I should know something in a few days. I also found the book on GoodReads dot com and left a few choice words. One reader has already left his own review and liked my comments.

Thanks to all those who have expressed their concern and well wishes.
 
The sad truth is that anything posted online can be stolen. That goes for stuff released in physical media, too. Legally protecting one's work costs mucho dinero and if big bucks aren't in contention, creators are shit-out-of-luck. It's like the modern world's expectation of privacy -- ain't none. Just assume that all words, images, sounds, and travels are out there for anyone to grab and abuse.
 
Amazon update

At this stage I am asking all of you to not post reviews to the stolen book on Amazon. I have received a communication from them and I will be taking legal advice.

I do encourage you to go and have a look at David Hillenbrand's other "works" and see if you recognize any of the stories. If you do and you know who the author is, send that person a message. Maybe if enough folks press the issue something can be done before I have to spend a lot of money.

Be advised, because of this event I am thinking of moving my work to Wattpad. I have not decided, yet.

I will be out of circulation for a while. When I know something solid I will update again.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help and everyone who has wished me well.
 
At this stage I am asking all of you to not post reviews to the stolen book on Amazon. I have received a communication from them and I will be taking legal advice.

I do encourage you to go and have a look at David Hillenbrand's other "works" and see if you recognize any of the stories. If you do and you know who the author is, send that person a message. Maybe if enough folks press the issue something can be done before I have to spend a lot of money.

Be advised, because of this event I am thinking of moving my work to Wattpad. I have not decided, yet.

I will be out of circulation for a while. When I know something solid I will update again.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help and everyone who has wished me well.


I just looked into things and the story is also being sold on barnsandnoble.com as well...
 
Does anyone know what happened to ripper? No updates for quite a while now. I hope ripper was able to figure something out.
 
No idea I was re-reading his stories hoping for some new additions

Still hoping
 
Update

I know folks have been wondering what has happened to me. I have been having multiple real life issues. Those are personal and it seems inappropriate to air my laundry on this forum. Suffice to say that things happen and must be dealt with as best we are able.

As for writing, it seems the issue with 'A World for the Taking' has resolved itself. Last I checked, the stolen copy is no longer available on Amazon. I believe someone who knew more about their system than I did reported that the story was available for free on this site and their admins took it down. That's all good and my legal advisor said there is no benefit to pursuing a suit at this time.

That said, the theft has inspired me to do something several readers have suggested. If my work is good enough for someone to steal, perhaps it is good enough for me to sell. I am looking into publishing new works on Amazon. If I decide to go forward with this plan, I will make my current works available for free. New works will be priced reasonably. I have no idea at the moment what pricing will be, but I am not out to gouge anyone. Perhaps one of my readers could suggest a resource for figuring out that sort of thing. I have also begun practicing my illustrating skills (Something I have not done in many years.) and when I come up with something, I will post those illustrations here.

Regarding the Savage Shore Universe:

I have done an edit to 'Upon a Savage Shore', correcting small plot holes and tweaking the punctuation. I also noted a few 'fan service' points I may change or delete. These changes will appear in the Amazon version.

Also, I have written a vignette featuring the characters you know from the original story. It takes place some time after the war orphans arrive and introduces one of the new daughters. This will be available for free at some point in the future.

'Savage Shore 2' is also in the plot stage. I have a general idea for what will happen and am working out major points. This sort of thing takes a lot of time and attention and I am only working on it when I get burned out on 'Captives, Slaves, Killers part 2'. I will say, though, I decided to place this particular story between the climactic battle at the end of 'UaSS' and the arrival of the rescue shuttle. That throws a few things from the epilogues into a cocked hat but it makes the plot for the second story workable.

'Savage Shore 3' is mostly in the idea stage but I like what I have come up with. Plenty of new characters and some real character building for the ones you already know.

I have gone through 'Storm World' and changed quite few things, mostly deleting parts that did not serve the story. There is so much work to do to get it back on track that I pushed it to the back burner.

'A world for the Taking' is going to be among the free stories but I am concerned the thief will make trouble for me, so I do not know if I will post it to Amazon or just leave it here. I have a notion that a legal confrontation will end in my favor but I do not wish to tip my hand, just in case.

'Captives, Slaves, Killers' is going to be expanded. I have the general plot worked out for part 2 and part 3. Part 2 is well underway. Many new characters are being introduced and some new tech is included. A little expansion of the universe is introduced, too. Part 3 is only an idea right now but it will definitely be written. I have some characters in my mind that really need to be "born". Two of them I really, really like.

I have previously mentioned other plots for stories. I don't have titles for all of them at this time, and the ones I do have are working titles.

'Beyond Hope and Fear' will involve a Human commando, a jZav`Etch intelligence officer and a Vespan communications specialist stranded behind enemy lines. I've done some work on it already and have a general idea of what I want to do with it. I have not worked out the plot yet.

'The Void of Night' will involve two Humans, a handful of jZav`Etch and an A.I. all trying to survive the aftermath of a minor fleet action. This story began as a distraction with no prep work at all. It did inspire Marilyn and the Slavers in 'Captives, Slaves, Killers' though.

'A Time for Blood' involves a two hundred year old Human mercenary and a jZav`Etch household in a time of political upheaval on one of the Hegemony's protectorate worlds. I have a general plot and I think I have a grasp of the primary characters. The scope of this particular story is intricate and much more detailed than the simple survival missions in my previous works. It is going to take considerable effort to flesh it out.

Another story I have tinkered with takes place on a sort of mining colony abandoned due to the war. It brings back a character from a story available on this site, but I don't want to give away which character. I think this one is likely to be a relatively short story in the neighborhood of 50K words. Again, it will be in the vein of Human and jZav`Etch cooperating to survive. I think, though, when my readers realize who the returning character is they will be interested.

I have one other story in mind but it is mostly an idea with little in the way of concrete development. Basically it will involve a male jZav`Etch ship captain and a female Human intelligence analyst trying to solve a mystery on his ship before it gets everyone killed. This story will take place in the middle of the war, well before the armistice is signed. I think it is going to feature a considerable amount of the technology I have only hinted at. Also, it will build on the theme of Hegemony politics touched on in previous works.

So there's an update for everyone. I hope it is not too disappointing. Things are stable for me at the moment, though that will change in the near future. I do not know for certain if I will be going to Amazon, but I will let everyone know when the time comes. Also, I think it would be best to have at least two new stories complete before I start publishing for profit. Once I get going my goal will be to complete one new book every year. I may do several short stories or novellas. I do not know at this time. I have other ideas not connected to the Savage Shore Universe that I might write, too. Lots and lots of stuff to keep me busy.

Take care, All!
RipperFish
 
Welcome back!

I'm glad to see you return. I'm sure that if you decide to post on Amazon that many of the readers who have enjoyed your stories here will be more than willing to follow you to Amazon.

My suggestion would be to contact Tefler or Scifurz who have offered their stories on Amazon. Both have had great success on Lit and I would assume have done so on Amazon.

Good luck and PLEASE let everyone of your fans know what your author name will be on Amazon so we can find your stories when you start to offer them for sale.
 
I know folks have been wondering what has happened to me. I have been having multiple real life issues. Those are personal and it seems inappropriate to air my laundry on this forum. Suffice to say that things happen and must be dealt with as best we are able.

As for writing, it seems the issue with 'A World for the Taking' has resolved itself. Last I checked, the stolen copy is no longer available on Amazon. I believe someone who knew more about their system than I did reported that the story was available for free on this site and their admins took it down. That's all good and my legal advisor said there is no benefit to pursuing a suit at this time.

That said, the theft has inspired me to do something several readers have suggested. If my work is good enough for someone to steal, perhaps it is good enough for me to sell. I am looking into publishing new works on Amazon. If I decide to go forward with this plan, I will make my current works available for free. New works will be priced reasonably. I have no idea at the moment what pricing will be, but I am not out to gouge anyone. Perhaps one of my readers could suggest a resource for figuring out that sort of thing. I have also begun practicing my illustrating skills (Something I have not done in many years.) and when I come up with something, I will post those illustrations here.

Regarding the Savage Shore Universe:

I have done an edit to 'Upon a Savage Shore', correcting small plot holes and tweaking the punctuation. I also noted a few 'fan service' points I may change or delete. These changes will appear in the Amazon version.

Also, I have written a vignette featuring the characters you know from the original story. It takes place some time after the war orphans arrive and introduces one of the new daughters. This will be available for free at some point in the future.

'Savage Shore 2' is also in the plot stage. I have a general idea for what will happen and am working out major points. This sort of thing takes a lot of time and attention and I am only working on it when I get burned out on 'Captives, Slaves, Killers part 2'. I will say, though, I decided to place this particular story between the climactic battle at the end of 'UaSS' and the arrival of the rescue shuttle. That throws a few things from the epilogues into a cocked hat but it makes the plot for the second story workable.

'Savage Shore 3' is mostly in the idea stage but I like what I have come up with. Plenty of new characters and some real character building for the ones you already know.

I have gone through 'Storm World' and changed quite few things, mostly deleting parts that did not serve the story. There is so much work to do to get it back on track that I pushed it to the back burner.

'A world for the Taking' is going to be among the free stories but I am concerned the thief will make trouble for me, so I do not know if I will post it to Amazon or just leave it here. I have a notion that a legal confrontation will end in my favor but I do not wish to tip my hand, just in case.

'Captives, Slaves, Killers' is going to be expanded. I have the general plot worked out for part 2 and part 3. Part 2 is well underway. Many new characters are being introduced and some new tech is included. A little expansion of the universe is introduced, too. Part 3 is only an idea right now but it will definitely be written. I have some characters in my mind that really need to be "born". Two of them I really, really like.

I have previously mentioned other plots for stories. I don't have titles for all of them at this time, and the ones I do have are working titles.

'Beyond Hope and Fear' will involve a Human commando, a jZav`Etch intelligence officer and a Vespan communications specialist stranded behind enemy lines. I've done some work on it already and have a general idea of what I want to do with it. I have not worked out the plot yet.

'The Void of Night' will involve two Humans, a handful of jZav`Etch and an A.I. all trying to survive the aftermath of a minor fleet action. This story began as a distraction with no prep work at all. It did inspire Marilyn and the Slavers in 'Captives, Slaves, Killers' though.

'A Time for Blood' involves a two hundred year old Human mercenary and a jZav`Etch household in a time of political upheaval on one of the Hegemony's protectorate worlds. I have a general plot and I think I have a grasp of the primary characters. The scope of this particular story is intricate and much more detailed than the simple survival missions in my previous works. It is going to take considerable effort to flesh it out.

Another story I have tinkered with takes place on a sort of mining colony abandoned due to the war. It brings back a character from a story available on this site, but I don't want to give away which character. I think this one is likely to be a relatively short story in the neighborhood of 50K words. Again, it will be in the vein of Human and jZav`Etch cooperating to survive. I think, though, when my readers realize who the returning character is they will be interested.

I have one other story in mind but it is mostly an idea with little in the way of concrete development. Basically it will involve a male jZav`Etch ship captain and a female Human intelligence analyst trying to solve a mystery on his ship before it gets everyone killed. This story will take place in the middle of the war, well before the armistice is signed. I think it is going to feature a considerable amount of the technology I have only hinted at. Also, it will build on the theme of Hegemony politics touched on in previous works.

So there's an update for everyone. I hope it is not too disappointing. Things are stable for me at the moment, though that will change in the near future. I do not know for certain if I will be going to Amazon, but I will let everyone know when the time comes. Also, I think it would be best to have at least two new stories complete before I start publishing for profit. Once I get going my goal will be to complete one new book every year. I may do several short stories or novellas. I do not know at this time. I have other ideas not connected to the Savage Shore Universe that I might write, too. Lots and lots of stuff to keep me busy.

Take care, All!
RipperFish
I'll add to the person above, I'd like to not lost your track since I really enjoyed your writing, please if you move to other platform let us know here or in the bio profile, like Amazon user of whatever so we can follow you. Thanks!
 
What's the amazon URL for his stories?

I am not yet publishing to Amazon. I have a whole lot of things going on right now, so it will be a while before I can finish any stories. I will announce when I publish, though.
 
Suggestion

For those readers who lament- or fear - the removal of your stories from Literotica, they can always do what I do - copy them into a word processor and save the file(s) to their computers. Then they can re-read the stories any time, at their leisure. Being rather OCD, I run the MSWord grammar/spelling checker on the file(s) mostly because I don't like all the red underlines that Word tosses into a file "to alert me to errors". This is especially noticeable with the names of your jZav`Etch characters; drives Word absolutely nuts!

Love your work. Patiently waiting for more. At some point, it might be nice to see a timeline so one can read the stories in a logical order.

NWR
 
Back
Top