Finally

Slow?

Well, we're talking about frogs...

We're talking about frogs whilst on an 'Adult Forum'...

LOL

tumblr_lk27h9sXqw1qbi0xlo1_500.jpg

The Peepers have come out to play. They have been happily chirping in their mud playhouses for the last couple of days. Hearing them, I felt as if a weight had been lifted.

Also, I went shoe shopping today and they were stocking the racks with swim suits. Seeing this, I had the odd reaction of smiling broadly as I ran my hands over the fabric.

Hope is revived!

The house where I grew up had a small marsh about a 1/4 mile away. I used to open the windows at night and listen to the peepers at sunset. Love that sound.

I am no longer allowed to feel swimming suits however.

Slow?

Well, we're talking about frogs...

We're talking about frogs whilst on an 'Adult Forum'...

LOL

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Your relationship with frogs is completely between you and your spouse.
...and your pastor.
....and your Republican legislator.

First Robin showed up here last Tues. An immature male that is probably the product of the nesting pair that has used one of the trees in the backyard for the past 4 years. The Hummers won't be far behind now. Best be getting the feeders ready.

Ishmael

We probably will not see them for another month.

I put out fruit and stuff for the robins, so we see them periodically all throughout the winter.

Feeling optimistic about the weather I broke out my Jiffy mini greenhouse this AM.

04163.jpg

Of course now I have to decide which plants to start. :confused:

Ishmael

That reminds me...

I need to preempt the queen so that I don't end up with 40 cherry tomato plants and no real tomato plants.

;) ;)

I bought seed last weekend, but I'm still debating whether to start some plants. Last year the starting of tomato plants went overly well. So much so, i wore friends and family out trying to give the excess plants away.

It is snowing here at the moment. So, no frogs, no robins. Although I hear chirping from our bathroom vent. The husband will have to deal with that issue.

You have frogs in your bathroom vent ? :eek: j/k

Years ago I came back from Florida after a vacation and when I opened my car trunk it was lined with frogs snuggled against the rubber insulation. I actually thought about shutting the lid and driving back to Florida to give them a chance at survival, because it was still cold up here. Then I thought nobody sane would do that. But it still bothers me that I didn't.

It has been quite warm here for the past week, maybe even 60F today!
I do not trust it though, it's only March...

I love those little frogs. The place I stayed a few years ago after surgery had them in the back yard? I could see them, but couldn't pick any up, so cute! First frogs I had seen since moving to Minnesota actually.

I bought seed last weekend, but I'm still debating whether to start some plants. Last year the starting of tomato plants went overly well. So much so, i wore friends and family out trying to give the excess plants away.

I over planted cherry tomatoes last year as well. I had a 'heritage' strain. They were more like pint sized Roma's and were actually more of an orange color. Lot of flavor though. I'm planting all heritage strains this year, most of the hybrids are like the store bought tomatoes.................tasteless.

The strawberries are up and the Peach tree is blooming. Oh, and my chives are exploding out of the planter. So I decided to start the rest of my herbs and get some Kale, Radishes, Carrots, and Spinach in the ground.

I'm moving the tomatoes, cukes, and watermelon over to a second garden that has more Sun exposure this year. I tried it last year with the Cukes, watermelon, and pumpkin and it worked great. Just need to expand the size a little.

Ishmael

Years ago I came back from Florida after a vacation and when I opened my car trunk it was lined with frogs snuggled against the rubber insulation. I actually thought about shutting the lid and driving back to Florida to give them a chance at survival, because it was still cold up here. Then I thought nobody sane would do that. But it still bothers me that I didn't.

Don't underestimate the peepers! You may have started a new colony.

It has been quite warm here for the past week, maybe even 60F today!
I do not trust it though, it's only March...

I love those little frogs. The place I stayed a few years ago after surgery had them in the back yard? I could see them, but couldn't pick any up, so cute! First frogs I had seen since moving to Minnesota actually.

We saw 65 degrees here today. The March winds were kicking up some, but with as wet as it's been, maybe some of the non-frog-habitat mud will dry more quickly.

I over planted cherry tomatoes last year as well. I had a 'heritage' strain. They were more like pint sized Roma's and were actually more of an orange color. Lot of flavor though. I'm planting all heritage strains this year, most of the hybrids are like the store bought tomatoes.................tasteless.

The strawberries are up and the Peach tree is blooming. Oh, and my chives are exploding out of the planter. So I decided to start the rest of my herbs and get some Kale, Radishes, Carrots, and Spinach in the ground.

I'm moving the tomatoes, cukes, and watermelon over to a second garden that has more Sun exposure this year. I tried it last year with the Cukes, watermelon, and pumpkin and it worked great. Just need to expand the size a little.

Ishmael

Everyone went a little crazy with the cherry tomatoes last yr, me included. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to have volunteers popping up all over the garden this year from last years tomatoes that dropped and left behind seeds. I hope I'm wrong.

I just helped "pick" roly polys yesterday. Not hard work at all :D. And crush the already dead ones. Poor things have to contend with a 6 year old girl who has an intense fascination for them! At least she likes to make sure she puts them in a container with air holes and then we pick rocks so they will have something to "play" on (do roly polys play or only in the minds of children?) and green blades of grass because we surmised they would be tastier. Ah, spring.

I just helped "pick" roly polys yesterday. Not hard work at all :D. And crush the already dead ones. Poor things have to contend with a 6 year old girl who has an intense fascination for them! At least she likes to make sure she puts them in a container with air holes and then we pick rocks so they will have something to "play" on (do roly polys play or only in the minds of children?) and green blades of grass because we surmised they would be tastier. Ah, spring.

I was that little girl. Mom convinced me they were happier in the flower beds along the house. She musta been right, because i could always find ole Hoppy in there. :)

I totally was not. But, as I had fun yesterday (even if it made me squirm to touch them!) I see I was missing out. She is getting a wonderful appreciation and comfort with nature that I hope stays with her. Great name, we should name them next time!

Don't underestimate the peepers! You may have started a new colony.

I would like to think that's true. These little frogs were more bright green than these northern peepers seem to be though. But they did disappear, so maybe. It's a nice thought. :)

Back