To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

"Not lately." Kayla said with a smile as her husband touched her cheek gently. "I can't believe you could be so remiss."

Kayla leaned down and pressed a kiss against his lips as she enjoyed this simple moment with Christopher. They were pulled apart far too often for her liking, but she still loved him as she had the first moment she saw him in Ireland.
 
"Forgive me, m'queen, fool as I am," Christopher gladly kissed her in return and sighed contently, letting himself relax and closing his eyes. "Y'know... one day, we'll be layin' 'ere with our own little family, probably one'r two perched on me, another beside you... And we'll be old," he chuckled softly at that. "A' least, I will."
 
"It's a nice dream, but I don't know that it is something that can happen any time soon." Kayla said softly as she looked down at Christopher with a soft look on her face. "Having a family is too dangerous right now. We need time to get the last of the hold outs of Norway on our side before we let our guard down and turn our attentions to children."
 
"Whenever it 'appens... it'll be well worth th'wait." Christopher murmured. "Nothin's gettin' in th'way of family when it finally does."

The next morning was clear as could be, and Kayla awoke to find Christopher already getting dressed in his handsome General's uniform. His expression was stoic and he looked quite the part of a young and bold general of Viking lands.
 
Kayla woke with a yawn, her slender hand reaching for her husband and finding empty sheets. As she finally opened her eyes and found him dressing, she smiled softly and watched him in silence. When he finally turned to face her, she actually found herself blushing.

"You take my breath away, Chris." She murmured softly. "It doesn't matter that you're my husband now, you make me feel like that unsure girl who was so nervous to dance with you in Ireland."
 
Christopher chuckled softly at her and came to sit down at the edge of the bed beside her. "If I'm honest... y'still do the same thing t'me. Most o' this is just fake confidence," he admitted with a sheepish grin before he leaned down to kiss her in the most warm and lovely way. If there was anything Christopher was good at, it was tender and gentle love.
 
Kayla grinned at Christopher leaned in and gave her a gentle, loving kiss. She let out a soft sigh, smiling at him as the kiss broke and they found themselves staring at one another. He was the most incredibly handsome man she'd ever seen in her life. And he was all hers.

"Let's go for a ride today. I'm sure your wee beasties could use a chance to stretch their legs." She murmured, pressing another kiss to his lips.
 
"As y'wish, your Majesty," he grinned and lifted her from their bed to set her on her feet, letting his eyes wander over her for a moment before kissing her one last time. "I'll get th'horses ready, love." He slipped away from her side and disappeared from their room to go down to the royal stables.
 
Kayla laughed as he lifted her from the bed and set her on her feet. She sometimes forgot how strong he was until he did something that reminded her of that fact. His eyes trailed over her before he kissed her one last time. She was left with a silly smile on her lips as he disappeared and she turned to dress for her day.

Soon, she was making her way down to the stables wearing a new blue riding habit. She had commissioned it especially for days like today, but she had never found the chance to wear it until now.
 
Christopher was bringing out two of his finest horses- one a warhorse and the other a slim walker that Kayla had always adored- and he smiled to see her, giving her the white walker's reins. "She needs a good long ride. Cooped up too long," He offered his hand to help her into the saddle, ever the gentleman.
 
"Are you talking about me or the horse?" Kayla asked her husband, grinning at the stunned look on his face as she took his hand to be helped into the saddle.

His fingers easily closed around her waist and soon she was in the saddle, the reigns in her sure hands as she waited for him to mount as well.
 
As he got over the little surprise at her incredibly forward words, Christopher retorted, "Maybe both, if I 'ave my way. One more'n the other." As they set off, many of the people on the street stepped politely aside and called hellos and welcomes to the Lord Protector and his Queen, happy and surprised to see them out in the open like this.
 
Kayla waved dutifully at the people as they shouted their hellos. She paused every so often to hand out coins to the less fortunate. She was glad to see that the population of homeless and beggars seemed to be much less than in the past. Perhaps her ideas for her country were actually working.

"God dag." She called, wishing them a good day in their own language which caused many a raised eyebrow.
 
Christopher chuckled away at Kayla, but greeted everyone equally and watched over his queen as she made herself known to her people as generous and welcoming. He stood by as the strong and watchful defender, which was really what everyone already thought of the young general.

A group of children came clambering to meet Kayla at one of her stops chattering away so fast that even if she knew more Norwegian, she wouldn't have been able to understand them.
 
"Tregere, barn." Kayla said in a cheerful voice as the children clambered around her. "I've only just started to learn. Speak one at a time."
 
The children managed to get themselves in order, and one brightly asked her if she really was staying. Many of the Norwegian people could still hardly believe she was really their leader- a woman, a Scot, and a Ghis no less- and a few were worried that other leaders might think she was unfit and try to remove her. The children didn't share the worry, but they did share the wonder as to whether she was truly planning to stay for good.
 
Kayla smiled warmly at the children as they asked her if she was staying in Norway with them. "I'm going to stay forever and ever. I promise." She swore to them, passing out a pocket of coins to each one as they stood there and pressed around her.
 
An older woman appeared from a nearby shop, calling out to the children. Kayla could catch it as something along the lines of 'quit pestering the queen' and 'breakfast time'. The children gave her a chorus of happy thank-yous and hurried inside where the older woman awaited. The woman smiled kindly to Kayla, bowing her head before touching her hand over her heart as a gesture of welcome and adoration.
 
Kayla watched as the children scurried off as the woman called them in for breakfast. She nodded towards the woman, sparing her a smile before she turned back to Christopher. She leaned in and pressed a kiss against his cheek, standing on her tiptoes to do such.

"Thank you for taking me on a ride. It's been good to greet the citizens." She said softly.
 
"I think we ought to get breakfast ourselves, hm?" Christopher kissed her lips in return and took her hand. Together they led their horses to a nearby little bakery that ran a sort of restaurant with the butcher down the street. Kayla heard the staff in a brief commotion at her arrival until they got ahold of themselves and a strapping young man dressed in commoner's clothes and an apron came out to greet them.

"Your Majesty. Lord Protector," the young man bowed before her and it was clear he'd been chosen as a spokesperson because he could speak English fairly well. "Welcome to the Hanssen bakery."
 
"Thank you, sir." Kayla said cheerfully as she waited for Christopher to tied their horses to the post outside. "And please, while we're here, I want no special treatment. We are no different than anyone else."
 
The young man seemed fairly confused by her insistence on treating her like anyone else, but he bowed to her word and a table was set for the royal couple by the time Christopher entered. They sat down to a lovely rustic meal and the staff was very attentive, but not overbearing from excitement. Other customers stopped in only to be shocked and awed by the sight of the Queen and her Lord Protector. Kayla saw a plethora of people, from a few nobles who loved the rustic recipes to hard woodsmen and fishermen who came by to eat all the time. Most of the people didn't give the couple much bother, but a few did bow or offer a kind greeting if they passed by. It seemed that most of the Trondheim people were content to let the royals do as they pleased and not gawk too much beyond a glance.
 
The food was absolutely delicious and Kayla enjoyed her time out of the palace with gusto. She smiled freely not only at her husband but at the well wishers that stopped by her table to offer her well wishes. When the meal was done, she pushed her plate away, sighing in contentment as the cook came out to ask if they enjoyed themselves.

"Very much. In fact, next week when the king of Denmark is visiting, I would love to have you in the royal kitchens cooking these delicious meals for us." Kayla murmured, smiling at the man who looked dumbfounded.
 
The cook, who suddenly wasn't sure if he had his English right, looked to the young man who'd welcomed the couple in. He looked just as stunned. Before either could compose themselves, the cook's wife appeared between the two men. She didn't speak English terribly well, but she had understood. "He would be honored," she accepted in her thick accent while the cook embarrassedly grinned and bowed his head.
 
"Jeg er glad for å høre." Kayla said with a happy smile. "Now, for dessert. Show me the best that you have."

She looked over at Christopher with a wink, grinning at him with a beaming smile. "The Lord Protector has a sweet tooth."
 
Back
Top