Doom Ic

Sergeant Branning flipped a switch on her armor suit and the joints started to glow red. It was her 360 motion detection sensors. She clipped on a few mines, one pack of clearing explosives, her combat knife, and charged her 105 pulsed laser canon.

“Standard assault tactics gentlemen. Anyone fucks up; I’ll blow their fucking head off!” She told the search party. Then she said to Sanders in a softer tone “Greg. Keep track of the non-com”. (non-com slang for non-combatant). “Let’s move out” She ordered.

The search team leap frog down the passageways with skill and precision. It was slow, as everyone was providing covering fire, while only one person moved down the corridor. Sergeant Branning had even placed one team member on rear guard to make sure nothing came at them from behind.

Hermes had a blond ponytail and a chiseled, handsome face. He was the team’s scout and his shifting eyes were always checking for danger. He had a carefully trimmed beard that complimented his face. He should have been a movie star with his good looks, but that opportunity never presented itself to him.

Sergeant Branning knew he was above all else loyal and helpful to everyone. He was also optimistic, respectful, but his loyalty was what he was known for. She could count on him, she knew that. Hermes was on point, when the motion detectors detected the three contacts closing in on their position! He was about 20 ft in front of Branning rescue team.

“Everyone defensive positions. Hermes move back to our position!” Sergeant Branning ordered.
 
Last edited:
Greg took cover behind a steel strut, covering Hermes' retreat, motioning for Sandra to get behind him. The screen on his front arm beeped insistently as the signatures came closer to them. Hermes took cover and aimed into the direction he had just withdrawn from. Suddenly two of the blips vanished from Greg's monitor.

"What the hell?"

Movement on the low ceiling caught his eye and he swiveled his rifle upwards, making target acquisition and pressed the trigger. One shot rang out and it thudded into a body, a loud shriek echoed through the corridor and then the nightmarish beast disappeared through the ceiling.

Plaster and concrete fell to the floor in a blue flash, Greg stared at the new hole in the ceiling and had the feeling that further down the corridor they will find two more of these holes.

"Sir I had a contact before that energy blast. It traveled along the ceiling."

He looked at Sergeant Branning

"It seems like we stepped into a battle that has nothing to do with us sir."
 
Sergeant Branning

Sergeant Branning knew her rescue team was in a dangerous and possibly deadly situation. They were fighting in tight passageways where the enemy could anticipate her team’s avenue of approach or retreat. Also her team’s sensors did not detect them reliably. Allowing the enemy to remain concealed until the time to attack. Now Greg reported they were between to fighting forces. Being in a flanking/crossfire situation was almost always fatal.

“FUCK!” Sergeant Branning said in frustration. She knew the best defense against this situation was a controlled retreat, which would pull the enemy’s forces back in front of her team. If there were two forces battling each other, it would pull her team out of the middle of their battle. It would also allow her to setting up a new line of defense from the knowledge they have acquired so far.

Retreating however was not in Sergeant Branning character. She also HATED not completing the mission. She had been given an order and to hell or high water she was going to get it done. Normally, she would decide on the best rout, she was the team leader. But they had time, there was no attack at present. She decided to get the team's opinion on the situation.

“Team, stay in your defensive positions. Keep your eyes on the ceilings and floors.” She ordered the rescue team. “I think you all know we’re in a bad situation. We have two options: One is to retreat back to the main force, maximizing our firepower. Or two, we use some aggressive tactics right now to get out of this situation and find those two fuck faces, Rollins and Solomon. Opinions?”

Sandra Evert

Sandra Evert heard what Sergeant Branning was saying but did not fully understand it all. Military tactics was something she had never studied. But what she did know was these creatures were dangerous. And Rollins and Solomon most likely needed their help. She thought those two soldiers in particular were complete assholes, she still did not want to leave them out there alone.

“Are you kidding… we can’t leave them out there. These creatures will surround them and kill them! I vote we continue with the mission as fast as we can!” Doctor Evert reasoned passionately with Sergeant Branning.
 
Greg breathed a sigh, then adjusted the reading of the monitor on his arm, it read body heat now and not movement. The range was much shorter, but Greg had an inkling that it would help him to track the combatants. He checked the load of his rifle and as he slapped the magazine home, he looked at Sergeant Brannings, "Leave no man behind right Sarge? I say we go look for those two lazy ass Marines."

Leaving no man behind was not really part of the Space Marine motto, because sometimes you just didn't have a choice. But if given the option to retreat or to fetch your buddies and get out of Dodge, you always pick the option which led to you getting to fetch your buddies. Even if they are complete slackers and assholes and get your latrine duty or kitchen duty on a regular basis. Hermes voices his own consent and that meant that all three of them were with Brannings.

"Sir, I have set up my scanner for heat signature, I think that we should have one heat reading and one motion reading active at all times. That way nothing can sneak up on us or ambush us when we move forward."
 
“I like the way you people think!” Sergeant Branning barked to everyone. She looked at her team. “We are going in Rambo style. All guns a blazing! Hermes you have the right flank, Greg you have the left, Dr Evert the rear, I know you have no weapon, if you see something, just tell me. I’ll take the front. I want cover fire… even if you see nothing. Keep your eyes on the ceiling and floors. This will be a rapid advance; I’m not slowing down for anything.”

The team nodded their heads in understanding. Sergeant Branning smiled and looked down to the huge cannon in her hands. She caressed her 105 pulsed laser cannon and talked in a loving voice to it. “Mommy is going to let you play… you get to fuck some aliens! Squirt your energy pulses right up their naughty little assholes!”

Then she looked at the team again. “OK LET’S GO!” She yelled and ran forward firing laser down the corridor. The rest of the team followed at what was a full spirit. Sergeant Branning was weaving as she ran and fired energy pulses. They passed through a series of crossing passageways going off to the left and right.

“BOOGIES 3 O’CLOCK” Sergeant Branning yells as she ran past the second set of passageways. Hermes fired multiple blasts down the passageway, but he must have missed the creature, because Sandra yelled next.

“BEHIND US CLOSING FAST!!” She screamed. She wished she had a weapon but there was nothing she could do.

“I GOT IT… JUST KEEP RUNNING!” Sergeant Branning ordered as she reached down and grabbed an anti-personnel mine and slapped it to the wall. Her action was so smooth, she did not even break stride. Seconds later Greg, Hermes, and Sandra past the mine’s location. Then as the creature approached it the mine went off in a huge explosion.

Sergeant Branning did not even turn around to see if the blast had killed the creature. She just kept running. After passing a few more passageway and seeing nothing. She reached a bulkhead hatch. She opened it quickly and went through. The rest of the team followed and then she bolted the hatch closed from the other side.

“I think we are out of the cross fire. Let’s return to standard leap frogging tactics” She ordered as everyone was breathing hard, trying to catch their breath.

Seconds later however there was the sound of tearing steel as claws ripped through the bulkhead. “SHIT” Sergeant Branning yelled as she tried to point her gun at the rapidly expanding breach in the wall, but the hole was opening up too quickly!
 
Bak'hu

Bak'hu and two of his blood brothers received an activation signal while they were traveling to the home planet. They decided to inspect it, since the signal was ancient, but the meaning was clear. Prey have been released. They found that the planet have been changed in the years that the Yautja have not returned and now an installation of the Oohmans were built over the ancient site.

Bak'hu knew what had happened, the Oohmans have come drilling and looking for resources and they have unleashed the Prey upon themselves. This also meant that they had to stop the Prey, for they would spread through the galaxy like a scourge if they were not stopped. They landed their ship and infiltrated the Oohman installation, his two brothers taking up guard duty as he ventured further inside.

It was clear that the eggs have already finished gestating and that the beasts had gone through their final phases already. Bak'hu felt the thrill of the hunt and he started stalking the creatures. He found three of them as they were about to attack a group of four Oohmans. He did not feel any love or pity for the smaller bipedials, he just wanted to rid the planet of the Prey.

Soon after his plasma caster have killed off the three beasts, the Oohmans started running, but not away, they seemed to engage the Prey. Bak'hu felt impressed with their actions, but also found it foolhardy, since it was clear that they did not know the Prey. He dropped through one of the holes from where he had blasted the Prey and followed the Oohmans. He found one of the Prey trying to rip through a door and clearly it was succeeding.

He extended his spear and struck, hitting the beast in the back of the head and driving the spear straight through, killing the beast. With a growl of victory, he withdrew the spear from the beast and drew back, looking for more of the Prey
 
As the breach expanded Sergeant Branning knew she was going to die. There was no chance she could raise her laser cannon up fast enough to prevent one of those clawed hands from reaching her. The claws grabbed her shoulder and pinned her to the bulkhead. But then as suddenly as it started, it ended. The creature slumped forward and stopped moving.

“FUCK” Hermes yelled in terror. His gun raised and he was getting ready to fire.

“DON’T FIRE” Dr Sandra Evert screamed. She had been just fast enough and Hermes did not pull the trigger.

Sergeant Branning pulled herself free of the claw and moved in front of the creature. It was still not moving. But Sergeant Branning knew she had also died. It scared her. She needed to kill the thing that had almost killed her. Nothing was going to stop her from removing that fear from her mind. “Doctor, you DO NOT give FUCKING orders in a tactical combat situation. UNDERSTAND” Sergeant Branning yelled. Then she pulled her weapon up, took aim at the creature’s head.

“SERGEANT DUMB ASS… I NEED TO EXAMINE THAT THING!” Sandra screamed.

Sergeant Branning turned and faced the Doctor. Her laser cannon pointed right at Sandra. Sergeant Branning was so mad she was shaking. Scientific studies show that anger reduces human reasoning by 92%. People do really do dumb things when they are angry. The best thing to do if faced by someone that is angry is not to say anything. Just remain calm and silent. Let them vent. Remember the angry person is just not thinking straight.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?” Sergeant Branning yelled back. Sandra said nothing. The two women faced each other.

“I SHOULD KILL YOU FOR ENDANGERING THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!” Sergeant Branning yelled at the top of her lungs.

“SERGEANT, SHE IS RIGHT!” Both Hermes and Greg said at the same time to Sergeant Branning. Greg added in a softer, calmer voice “Sergeant… you are the smartest person in this unit. Thinking about this. The Doc might be able to figure out why it stopped moving.”

Sergeant Branning said nothing. She stood there for 10 full seconds. Then she lowered her weapon.

“I agree.” Sergeant Branning said in her normal voice. It was as if she had returned to normal and nothing had happened. “Dr Evert examine the creature. We’ll cover you” Sergeant Branning ordered. “Hermes I need you watching for attacks in the opposite direction.” She ordered.

Sandra approached the creature. It appeared dead. She noticed liquid dripping from its skull and sizzling on the bulkhead. The liquid was burning a hole in the bulkhead. “Looks like the creature’s blood is a powerful acid.” She told the others.

It’s outer skin look like an exoskeleton of an insect. Extra hard. She grabbed a support rod on the frame of the door and pulled herself up to the creature’s head. There was a perfect round hole in the back of the creature’s head. Like someone had stabbed it from behind.

“There’s a hole in the back of its head. Like someone killed it from behind while it was tearing open the door!” Sandra told the others.
 
Last edited:
Now that things had semi-calmed down, he took up a covering position and scanned the area eyond the creature's body as Sandra took samples of the creature and inspected the creature.

"It is basically the same creature, but it is different from the fossils found."

Greg shrugged, "Maybe they evolved as well."

Sandra packed her gear away and stood, slinging her pack into position again.

"But you don't believe so?"

Greg nodded and she smiled slightly, "Me neither. OK sergeant, I have all the data I need."
 
Last edited:
With the samples collected, Sgt Branning, Hermes, Greg and Sandra head down the east corridor. The corridor was in a bad condition. The lighting had been damaged and was flicking on and off. Some of the electrical panels had been damaged and were sparking.

“Helmet Lights On” Sgt Branning ordered. “Keep Formation and be sure to check the ceiling and floors.”

Hermes was in front, carefully checking before moving forward. The process was slow, but safe and exactly as described in the squad tactics manual. They reached a section of the corridor which had been torn open like an aluminum can. The lighting in this section was now completely out. Hermes' helmet light swung around as he looked everywhere. When the light shinned forward it landed squarely on the bodies of Rollins and Solomon. At least what was left of them. It was gruesome as hell. Both men were clearly dead.

“Keep watching for creatures, don’t just stare at the bodies” Sgt Branning ordered Hermes as the rest of the squad moved forward carefully and slowly. Greg was keeping an eye behind them just in case.

“Dr. Evert, do you need to take more sample?” Sgt Branning asked.

“Yes” Sandra answer a bit shaken. “I can’t believe they are dead” She added with some shock and sadness.

“This is combat! We can mourn them later. Now fucking focused Doctor” Sgt Branning barked at her. Sandra move to the bodies and examined them for the cause of death and took samples.
 
With Hermes and Brannings in defensive mode, Greg had a look at the bodies as Sandra bent over them in work. They were mangled, like they were killed and then eaten. He shook his head and then found their weapons, they were intact and the readouts showed them as unfired.

"Sarge, these two got taken completely by surprise. They didn't even fire one shot."

Greg shouldered the two weapons, securing them in place, "They may have been assholes at times, but they were Marines. No way they would just walk into a trap."

He looked at the ceiling, which of course showed the entrance from the creatures which had killed the two. He then consulted the map on his combat screen.

"There is no basement, no upper floor, so the only place these things could have come from will be the excavation site. But what could live out there?"
 
"There is no basement, no upper floor, so the only place these things could have come from will be the excavation site. But what could live out there?"

“Noted” Sgt Branning said briskly. She switched on her long-ranged communicator “Duke, we found Wolf Team 2. They are both dead. Appears to be an ambush. These creatures can cut through metal fairly easily. Their blood is a powerful acid. It is hard to explain… but we encountered a dead creature. Doc has samples. Spartan thinks the creatures maybe coming from the excavation site. Orders?” Sgt Branning asked.

There was a pause and then Duke’s voice came over the communicator. “You are all the way out there already. Examine the excavation site with caution. Report back when you can.”

“Roger” Sgt Branning replied, then she looked at the team around her. “Ok, you heard Duke. We are going to explore the excavation site. No wandering off. Stay in formation! Hermes, you take point”

“Yes Sir” Hermes answered back

The group climbed out the hole made by one of the creatures. Outside the base, shadows of rocks and mountains appears out of the gloom and drifting acetylene clouds. Acetylene looked like fog on earth. The atmosphere here was breathable but had more hydrogen and methane. The acetylene fog was caused by ultra-violet light breaking down the methane. Visibility was poor so the team moved slowly.

As Hermes moved lower in the excavation site, a large object loomed ahead. As they got closer, Hermes communicator lite up “It’s a spaceship. A Derelict!”

The object became clearer and it was large, asymmetrical, torpedo shaped craft, with a thickened central section. There was numerous tunnels going off in many different directions. There were three large openings near ground level that led into the ship's interior. The team headed for the nearest one of these openings.

“This thing looks a million years old!” Sandra observed. The team entered the old ship slowly and carefully. The interior of the Derelict resembled a living organism more than a spacegoing vessel, with skeletal walls, circular gangways and steep passages.

“This place is giving me the creeps!” Hermes said as he led them deeper into the old ship.
 
Last edited:
Greg paused at a strut and examined the gooey surface, the structure itself looked like bone, the coating of slime looked like... Protective film.

"Doc can you spare a drop or two of that blood sample?"

She frowned, but produced the sample, he removed the sealed cap and carefully dripped a drop onto the film. The acid fizzled out and ran harmlessly down the strut. Greg sealed the container and handed it back.

"Sarge, that creature had a coating just like this, the whole ship's interior is covered with the same slime and it appears to counter act the acidity of the creature's blood."

He took a deep breath, "I think they have turned this ship into a nest. We might be getting in deep."
 
As the team moved deeper into the old spaceship, Greg’s thoughts were confirmed. The place was some kind of home or breeding area. They entered a main cargo hold area and the place had thousands of egg shaped objects in it.

“This is wild!” Sandra said looking over a field of egg like objects. Some had florescent blue glowing cracks in them. “It is like a giant egg-infested nest chamber!” Dr. Evert gasped staring at all the eggs.

“This place is creeping me out!” Hermes complained.

“Hermes, STOP SAYING THAT! Focus on the mission!” Sgt Branning barked as everyone’s head were looking for threats, above, below, front, sides and back.

“What if there is a Queen running around here? Like in a Bee Hive!” Hermes asked.

“HERMES!!” Sgt Branning yelled.

“Sarge, Hermes has a point. If I could take a closer look at one of these eggs to determine if they were laid recently.” Sandra said.

“Whatever you do… do not open one of those things!!” Sgt Branning ordered as Dr Evert moved closer to an egg, Greg was next to her.
 
As they moved closer to the nearest egg, movement signals started to ping softly on Greg's arm console. He checked the scanner's image and saw six dots right in front of them, he paused as one of the eggs started to open like the bloom of a flower. He grabbed hold of Sandra and pulled her backwards and away from that egg, just as some sort of creature jumped from it. Greg smacked it aside with the barrel of the rifle and fired a three round burst, drilling the creature. It dropped and started to curl into a ball, the tail whipping around as a puddle of blood formed around it, eating away at the ground.

"Fucking hell. Sarge I suggest a retreat is in order."

Two more of the eggs started to open and Greg readied his weapon.
 
The fact they were inside a very old derelict spaceship, gloom and drifting acetylene clouds made it hard to see, six dots on Sgt Branning scanner were moving towards them, eggs were opening all around them, and finally, Hermes kept saying he was creeped out, made up Sgt Branning mind.

“RETREAT… NOW!!” She yelled as she unloaded hailstorm of laser blasts from the laser cannon. The squad joined her and opened up too. Their heads swiveled in all directions, firing at everything. Eggs exploded everywhere. The small spider like creatures suddenly lunged from the shadows at them, only to be knocked back by another squad member. Sgt Branning saw one of the big creatures coming at them. She blasted at it with her laser cannon. Everyone heard the hideous, soul-shattering screeches of the creature as some of her blasts hit their targets. Despite their efforts everyone realized that they would be overwhelmed in seconds. They lost their defensive front as the team retreated faster.

Amidst this chaos, Dr. Evert fell. As she got back up, a little alien attacked her. She slapped it aside in the nick of time, but that caused her to fall into a hole in the floor. She landed on the deck below the nest. She was really separated from the others. She ran from the screaming and laser fire above. She found a side passageway and this lead to a small room where she hide. She activated her commlink. “Fuck… Greg got lost” she said in her commlink. “I have no idea where I am and have no idea how to find my way back!”

Sgt Branning continue to blast at everything as she backed out of the nest chamber. Hermes was with her, but in the chaos, she did not see Greg anymore.

“Give me cover” She ordered Hermes. The creatures had to come through the hatch they backed out of so Hermes could do it. “I’m going to blow this place up!” She told him as she removed her bag of clearing charges.

“Sgt… what about Greg and Dr Evert?” Hermes asked.

Sgt Branning activated her commlink “Greg and Sandra… get the fuck out of that room! I’m going to blow it to shit!” Sgt Branning warned them.
 
It was times like these that Greg was happy for their intense training. Training which Dr Evert didn't have. He saw her slap one of the spider like creatures aside and fall out of sight. He killed the alien and kept firing, checking if Sandra made it up, she didn't. By now he was almost alone, the retreat having gone further than the hole Sandra fell into.

He ran for the hole, going into a baseball slide which took him into the hole and he hit the lower deck on his feet. He changed his scanner settings and found her radio signal ahead. Just then her voice sounded in his earpiece, "Don't worry doc I gotcha, wait for me where you are."

He set off at a run, just as his flashlight made out Sandra's form, Branning's voice came over the radio. "Blow it sarge, we are one level below you, working to get back to you."

He took hold of Sandra's arm and strapped his flashlight to it, he drew his pistol and handed it to her, "You're point. Run and if you see anything that will take us up, head for it, I will be right behind you."

Sandra nodded and took off, Greg followed as fast as he could while checking behind them. He knew they were clear of the chamber, but there was no telling how much of the infrastructure the blast would destroy.
 
Sgt Branning had always enjoyed sports and the space marines played a lot of them to stay fit. It was because of her exposure to sports, particularly the female “Hammer Throw” contest that she knew how to throw the bag of clearing charges. Most people thought throwing far required strength. Sgt Branning was strong, but throwing far was much more about speed to gain maximum distance.

Sgt Branning unlooped a shoulder strap and grabbed the end. The strap was not that long, but it would do. She started to swing the bag, building up her speed of rotation via heel-toe movement of her feet. The bag moved in a circular path, and at the high point of the path she released the bag through the hatch Hermes was defending.

The bag of charges sailed into the huge room filled with eggs. Sgt Branning lost sight of it in the darkness and gloom, but she took a guess where it was and pressed the detonation button. She was hoping to cause an “Air Burst” explosion, the most destructive kind. If she waited too long, the blast might tear through the floor, too early the ceiling. When she pressed the button, a massive explosion ripped through the large room. The blast was so powerful, the shock wave knocked Hermes on his ass.

There was too much smoke and debris to see what happened in the room, but Sgt Branning heard metal twisting and falling. She was pretty sure, the noise was from the overhead “ribs” in the room as they came crashing down. But she did not care to stay around and find out. She grabbed Hermes shoulder and pulled him to his feet.

“Let's get out of this shit hole” She yelled. Hermes took rear guard and she took point as they made their way through the passageway and out the same entrance they had entered in.

Dr. Evert

Sandra grabbed the gun and started running. She knew she was doing it wrong. She was just running frantically. She did not aim the gun down the passageway. She was really doing nothing with the gun at all. It was like she was holding a baton from a relay race. The passageway up ahead bent 90 degrees to the left. As she approached the corner, she slowed down and aimed the gun as she had seen the Space Marines do earlier.

She peeked around the corner and gasped “SHIT!” As against one wall was the splattered head of one of the research facility personnel. One of the creatures had speared the unfortunate person through the skull. The action had caused the head to remain pinned to the wall. The person’s body had been torn apart all over the passageway. She heard Greg running footsteps coming up behind her. That was when the explosion went off.

The blast wave caught up to them quickly as Greg was pushed into Sandra from behind. Both of them ended on the floor among the torn-up body parts. The head on the wall was knocked off and landed on Sandra. “EWWWWW” she gasped and pushed the head at Greg. He knocked it aside, but also grabbed Sandra hand that was holding the gun. Sandra realized she had accidentally pointed the gun at Greg.

“Be careful where you point that” He said as both of them got back on their feet.
 
Greg reached out and with the back of his glove, wiped most of the gunk from Sandra's face. "We can clean you up later. Let's go. There's bound to be more of those things and they will not be happy."

They took off again, Greg following the lines against the wall, and just as he had hoped, they found a stairwell leading to the upper floor. He slowly climbed the stairs, keeping an eye and light scanning the area just in case the scanner missed something.

It didn't.

A beep made Greg look, then the beeps came in fast succession, time for finesse was over. He grabbed Sandra's hand and dragged her up the stairs. It mouthed out into a short hallway, which connected with the hallway they had used to get in.

"Sarge, we are on your level, just ahead of you. Setting charges, we have multiple hostiles inbound."

He secured the explosives he carried and got Sandra running, he tapped the sequence on his arm pad and the explosion behind them seemed muffled, but it destroyed the stairs. Only problem was that it didn't seal off the hole.

Greg looked back as they exited and saw a creature starting to force itself through. He swung his rifle into position and amidst the sparking and smoke, he fired. The rounds hit, but didn't kill.

Greg turned and ran, almost colliding with Hermes who had taken point. Greg noticed a creature behind Branning, brought up his rifle and emptied the clip into it, sending green blood and bodyparts flying before it crashed to the ground. He ejected the clip and replenished it as the creature rose again. He fired again, this time at the elongated head, the rounds hit and did their job. The creature dropped dead.

"Oorah motherfucker."

Greg turned and followed the other three.
 
“Nice shooting dude!” Hermes’ congratulated Greg with a fist bump. He continued “Orders from Sarge… is for us to get out of this shit hole!!” He added with a bit of dry humor.

“NO SHIT!!” Sgt Branning add over the commslink as she moved ahead of them. “Expedite!!”

“I’ll take rear guard!” Hermes told Greg and Sandra. The group headed out of the old space ship the same way they had entered it. Once outside they were again surrounded by dim light, shadows, gloom, and strange drifting acetylene fog clouds. Visibility was poor so the team needed to slow down.

“EXPEDITE” Sgt Branning yelled over the commlink. She was in front of them somewhere. Hermes had just seen her, but a bank of fog had drifted between them and now she was no longer visible. Around Greg, Sandra, and Hermes was only white, gloomy fog.

Snake’s voice came over the commlink. “This is base. Report!”

“I DON’T HAVE TIME!” Sgt Branning yelled back.

“REPORT!! That is an order from Duke!” Snake yelled back.

“We found an old space ship… full of eggs. Blew up the eggs… now we have a shit load of the creatures on our ass… YOU FUCKING REMF!!” Sgt Branning reported back (REMF = Rear-echelon motherfucker).

“You will NOT talk to me like that!!” Snake said back. Sgt Branning switch off the base camp link. That was when Sgt Branning’s and Greg’s motion detectors went off.

“BOGEYS! ON YOUR 6!” Sgt Branning yelled. “A SHIT LOAD!!” The sound of her 105 pulsed laser cannon opened up. It was not in single shot mode… but in rapid fire mode.

“I CAN'T SEE SHIT!!” Hermes yelled as he fired blindly behind the group. “RUN!!”

“THERE ARE TOO MANY… I’M DOING A THROW AND BLOW!!” Sgt Branning yelled. A “throw and blow” was a combination of thrown mine, detonated via laser fire. Sgt Branning threw her last mine and fired her laser cannon at it. The resulting explosion rocked Hermes, Greg, and Sandra. It also cleared the fog away enough for them to see 5 creatures headed right at them!!
 
"Shit! Run doc, get to the Sarge!"

Greg threw a grenade with a practiced back flick, they ran, making sure to stay out of Branning's laser fire. The explosion send dirt and shrapnel following them as well as a few screeches. Then the laser cannon cycled empty.

Greg knew that this panicked withdrawal was not good, it was not what they had trained, but they had not been trained to face creatures like these either.

"Run sarge! Get to the airlock!"

He knew that she hated to be told what to do, but in this case, it was the best thing to do. She could reload on the run. Greg had one more trick in his bag. He withdrew a Kinetic Mine, armed it and dropped it. He noticed that the creatures was actually gaining on them and he urged the others for greater speed. With a loud KRUMP the mine detonated behind them, sending more shrapnel chasing them. Greg looked behind him, noticing one creature still limping after them, but behind it, even more followed.
 
Greg’s kinetic mine had bought them valuable time. Sgt Branning was the first to reach the main research complex breech and climb back in. She had restarted the recharge cycle on her laser cannon but the weapon still needed 30 secs to finish.

She looked at the counter in total frustration as there was nothing she could do with the weapon but wait. She slipped the cannon back over her shoulder and grabbed her remaining weapon, a combat knife.

Sandra was the next one through the breeched and stopped Sgt Branning. “That will not stop them... their blood is acid” she told the space marine.

Sgt Branning knew she was right... but Greg and Hermes would not make it. The monsters were closing too fast. She ran back outside with her combat knife ready. Moving sideways to the opening.

“Over here Mother-Fuckers, come and get me!” She screamed trying to pull the monsters away from Greg and Hermes. It did not work.

Hermes knew he was going to die. The monsters were closing on him too fast. He had been the rear guard and it was his job to protect the unit from rear attacks.

“Run Greg.... RUNNNN!” He yelled to Greg in front of him.

Then he suddenly stopped running and unloaded six rounds into the wounded creature. His aim was true as the creature fell over dead. But the last creatures pounced on him and tore him apart.

There was blood everywhere. It's drenched the two creatures. They were now sticky and red. The ground was even red, and for the gloomy gray and white land scape it was a stark sight.

Sgt Branning stared at the sight for one second. She could not believe Hermès was gone. A beep from her laser cannon broke her from her moment of shock. She whipped the cannon to her shoulder and blew the head off one of the creatures as Greg took down the other.

Sgt Branning ran back into the breech along with Greg.

“FUCK!” She said to Greg. But he knew in that one word she could not believe she had just lost one of her best men
 
"Sarge, this is SNAFU, we need to link up with the others, we will not be able to . . . "

Greg got cut off as light blue plasma bolts started raining down on the creatures from above his position in the breach. Glancing up, he could only see distorted outlines of what seemed to be a large creature, but it was very hard to make out, then from other directions more plasma started raining down on the creatures, they of course tucked tail and ran, heading for their ship.

Greg just stared in bewilderment and then tried to see what had rescued them, but he could make out nothing. He turned to the inside, "I have no idea who or what that was, but they saved our bacon."
 
Sergeant Branning continued to follow standard assault tactics as they made it back to the main camp site. Her armor suit with glowing red joints, was cover in blood and dirt now. Her 360 motion detection sensors continued to work, but she had no more mines, her package of clearing explosives was gone, and her 105 pulsed laser canon looked like shit. Greg and Sandra actually looked worse.

They walked past Rock, Cowboy, Sting, and Kid in defensive positions as Snake and Duke met up with them.

“We lost Hermes… at the derelict spaceship." Branning reported.

“Damn it!!” Duke exclaimed. “Solomon, Rollins and now Hermes. What the fuck is happening?”

“Sergeant Branning… is what is happening” Snake stated “We know she is crazy… and reckless!”

“FUCK YOU ASSHOLE” Branning yelled getting ready to punch Snake.

“KNOCK IT OFF YOU TWO!!” Duke ordered. Both Snake and Branning stopped.

“Greg, report. Tell me what the fuck happened” Duke ordered.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top