Themed Contest Off-Topic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nicely put, MST. You speak for me, and I belong to a writer group of one. And all those who feel the same as you just described so well.

To me, the money part of the contest does have meaning. To the people it means something to.

Stay with me here.

When I first got started on Literotica , back in 2011, I wrote a contest story but when the winter contest rolled around I looked at the stories already posted I didn't enter. Why? I was intimidated by the quality of writing I saw there.

Valentines rolled around. Same. And same for the other contests till Summer Lovin' 2012. That was a very bad year, I was flat broke and scrounging. I wrote my heart out and entered a story. I was swinging for the fences trying for any amount of money.

I posted a story called "Gray Iron" It placed 9th out of 170 (ish?) stories.

Well, not long after that life took a turn for the better, I had money again and I had that courage as a writer that I didn't have before. ($150.00 was again not a lot of cash, I make several times that much a week as a bricklayer.) I have entered every contest since then. Sometimes I place stories where I again swing for the fences, sometimes I just place one there for playing sake.

As everyone here should know by now, writing is a hard game to play. Oh, it's easy to mash two thousand words together and make them have some kind of meaning. But the hard part comes when you have to face the fires. To put that piece of yourself out there to be seen. Now anything that builds a writer's confidence is golden when it comes to that.

99% of all writers kill their own dreams of being a writer * Jim Butcher.

And that is so very true. I've seen so many say they don't think they can write when they do beautiful work.

So no, a $150 bucks isn't that big of a deal and yeah Lit could make the contest for just bragging rights. But there are writers on here just getting started, people with one story, or not even that much, who need the confidence to get a foot in the door on this site. And winning a contest for money can give that.

A lot of people who post here in the AH have become jaded. The huge story lists that build up from years of posting make them forget what it felt like to have one story out there and come home to find a comment. To see that someone favored their story.

Or to give it your best effort and nearly place in a contest.

Or to win.

Look down my list, you will see one W on it.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=1384609&page=submissions

Second place in a Summer lovin'. That felt so wonderful to see when I got in from work ... then.

Now ... well if I won a contest now it would still be great. But, like the money, it no longer has the same level of ecstatic delight it once did. Knowing I will be opening a package here in a week with my copy of a paperback book with my work in it, that has taken its emotional place. I'm giddy as a little kid to see my words on a printed page.

So why do I still enter contests here on Literotica?

Habit for one, but the main reason is still to grow as a writer. I love the challenge. Literotica has some of the most talented writers this world has, living lives of quiet desperation, yearning to be heard. But make no mistake you are not my competition. The only writer I'm in competition with is myself. I'll happily cheer on the winners. Not for writing a better story than me but for writing. Just writing!

And if you feel that you enter contests to beat your fellow writers then bring it. Bring your A game. Bring your very best work to the surface. Don't write something simple, push yourself. Write what you think you can never write. Show every writer on Literotica that you're the very best writer that has ever picked up a pen or typed a key. Do it.

Win or lose you've done better that a $150 gift card just by doing that.

Slyc_willie ran five FAWCs - friendly anonymous writing contests - before he passed away last November. Lynn ran a 6th in his honor, though there was more limited participation. Look for the FAWC threads and you'll see - they were a lot of fun to participate in. The attraction was that authors commented on each other's stories without knowing whose stories they were on commenting, so the responses were more knowledgeable, informed and honest than those for the themed contests. The stories were all first posted in Chain Stories, a category without much readership, which largely insulated these from the usual shenanigans.

One could easily be fit between now and Nude Day, if there was interest.

PS. I just saw your proposal, Maia - I'll think on it (I'm a slow slow writer and am planning a long Nude Day story). You should start a thread in the AH forum as well, for more exposure. If any of the features of the FAWCs sound good, you should incorporate them into your challenge.

Thanks for mentioning FAWC. I wondered if anyone would be interested in doing another but hadn't posted a thread yet.

Thanks for mentioning FAWC. I wondered if anyone would be interested in doing another but hadn't posted a thread yet.

I would for sure, Lynn. But I wasn't about to volunteer you for such a lot of work - glad you're thinking about it, though.

I would for sure, Lynn. But I wasn't about to volunteer you for such a lot of work - glad you're thinking about it, though.

I should check the last FAWC thread to see what ideas there were for the future.

The initial FAWC was the hardest. From now on, each one gets easier to handle. :)

Yes, and I think can speak for about four others at least that I know would jump at another one too.

FAWC ! FAWC ! FAWC!

(picture Jim Belushi Toga, toga, toga)

I wish there were actually MORE contests and without money attached to them. Something other than the monthly: 'if your story manages to get the most 'likes' and 'views'.' If there were more contests it would allow people to try for different themes or stories.

It's already competitive enough with people wanting red H's and high votes and most views. Why include money in it to bring out the worst in people (and the fans of people)? It would be nice to feature categories that aren't as heavily viewed so authors in those spots might get a little attention.

Is there a way to host other contests? Maybe a 'bragging rights only' contest in between the cash money contests?

People who don't like the rule-flexing in the money contests might find a more comfortable home without the cut throats. (Maybe).

We regularly remove hundreds of comments made by users trying to get themselves on the Comments Made toplist. We have never offered money for being the top of that list.

When I was a kid, there were gamer guys who would buy books on how to get through the hard parts of video RPG games - basically cheating. They did this for no other reason than so they could brag to the three or four friends who cared (this was pre-Internet) that they had "beat" the game.

Before there was a single advertisement on Youtube, people sent tens of thousands "fake" likes and comments to their videos so they could appear to be much more popular than they are. And there were and are no "top lists" on Youtube.

Removing money prizes will not stop the complaints, nor improve the contest experience.

Reading the posts in this thread by authors who've entered contests, there's a undercurrent of, "I used to enjoy the contests, then the AH discussions and drama surrounding them made me not like them anymore."

It's a shame, because we always envisioned the AH as a place where authors would support each other in their writing.

When I talk to (the few) authors who don't frequent the AH yet have entered themed contests, their experience is generally positive. That changes for those happen to place in a contest and peep into the AH to be called by other authors a cheater or someone who doesn't deserve to win because of this, that, and the other thing.

The unfortunate fact is that hundreds of positive story comments by dedicated reader fans don't seem to outweigh a few mean-spirited words by a fellow author. Which is sad, because at the end of the day it's the fanbase that matters.

In a future revamp version of the site, we will be able to send out sitewide announcements, so that all authors will be notified of themed contests. This will likely greatly increase the number of authors entering the contests. It will also mean that each author's main site mailbox will displace the AH as a source of information.

These changes will place the focus of the contest back on the relationship between authors and their readers. Maybe this will solve a lot of the problems and make Lit a more positive experience for those who create.

The sad conclusion seems to be that, despite any rules which we try to enforce, support threads specifically and discussions in the AH in general seem to have the effect not of supporting contest authors, but of encouraging authors not to participate. Perhaps Lit authors should be seeking support from their fanbases, not here. Maybe writers would have a more positive experience if they spent more time interacting with fans on their story comment boards and less time here. I don't know, but that seems to be how it is.

That's certainly an "interesting" spin on the discussion on this thread. :rolleyes:

Reading the posts in this thread by authors who've entered contests, there's a undercurrent of, "I used to enjoy the contests, then the AH discussions and drama surrounding them made me not like them anymore."
-

The sad conclusion seems to be that, despite any rules which we try to enforce, support threads specifically and discussions in the AH in general seem to have the effect not of supporting contest authors, but of encouraging authors not to participate. Perhaps Lit authors should be seeking support from their fanbases, not here. Maybe writers would have a more positive experience if they spent more time interacting with fans on their story comment boards and less time here. I don't know, but that seems to be how it is.

There are people on the AH that don't seem to like letting other people have contrasting opinions, with out flaming them. I blame this tendency on the poor examples of social discourse in the political realm. But maybe assholishness is endemic in a competitive society?

There are people on the AH that don't seem to like letting other people have contrasting opinions, with out flaming them. I blame this tendency on the poor examples of social discourse in the political realm. But maybe assholishness is endemic in a competitive society?

I don't know the cause, but I do know it's poor sportsmanship, poor manners, and a shame.

Congratulations to all winners, and participants too. :rose:

It's a shame, because we always envisioned the AH as a place where authors would support each other in their writing.

When I talk to (the few) authors who don't frequent the AH yet have entered themed contests, their experience is generally positive. That changes for those happen to place in a contest and peep into the AH to be called by other authors a cheater or someone who doesn't deserve to win because of this, that, and the other thing.

The unfortunate fact is that hundreds of positive story comments by dedicated reader fans don't seem to outweigh a few mean-spirited words by a fellow author. Which is sad, because at the end of the day it's the fanbase that matters.

In a future revamp version of the site, we will be able to send out sitewide announcements, so that all authors will be notified of themed contests. This will likely greatly increase the number of authors entering the contests. It will also mean that each author's main site mailbox will displace the AH as a source of information.

These changes will place the focus of the contest back on the relationship between authors and their readers. Maybe this will solve a lot of the problems and make Lit a more positive experience for those who create.

You don't enforce any rules, not consistently anyway and you rush through and pay no attention. The winning story this time out was blatantly in the wrong category for a specific purpose. That's something that should have been seen

In last years Halloween contest an author put in a Christmas Story with Santa right in the title, you let it in. We know you cannot possibly spend a lot of time checking every story, but that was in the title, the tag...

But in the end what gives me the head desk is how you condemn behavior here for what you say it is, which is basically frustration at your indifference and wanting to look the other way as its easier, yet spent years encouraging snark and abuse in the GB. That culture then got so out of hand you don't even want to post there anymore, but its here that's an issue?

I know, no rose for me.

Last edited:
This is the last time I will simply remove trolling accusatory posts. There seems to be a feeling that it's okay to make the posts and hope that they will stay up long enough to discourage other authors from participating. This needs to stop.

There is no "group". Just because someone who wins isn't your friend does not make them a cheater.

If these trolling accusatory posts continue, there may be harsher measures put in place.

About five minutes for your post also. :D

Someone slapped my name on this thread so why can't i say what i want to? What happened to free speech? I guess that only applies to things. :rolleyes:

This is the last time I will simply remove trolling accusatory posts. There seems to be a feeling that it's okay to make the posts and hope that they will stay up long enough to discourage other authors from participating. This needs to stop.

There is no "group". Just because someone who wins isn't your friend does not make them a cheater.

If these trolling accusatory posts continue, there may be harsher measures put in place.

Group or no group, they are using a proven formula to win contests. That is very easy to see.

And none of my post have discouraged anyone from doing anything. The playing field is out of level. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend it's not but that just adds to the problem.

By the way, what happened to free speech?

My post didn't last 5 minutes. :D

What a joke.

You congratulated sr for winning, then accused the other two winners of cheating.

So apparently the contests are legitimate only when you like the person who wins. The very same contest is legitimate for sr, but not for the other two.

You want to believe that odd twist of logic? That's fine. But you don't get to use this forum to make other authors feel bad for placing or participating in a contest here.

I've answered your questions on the other thread. I've told you we're working implementing changes that you have suggested regarding chaptered works. We are and have always been open to suggestions to make the site better. But saying things suck and implying without basis in fact that authors cheat - and that we aware of this and condone it - is non-constructive and unnecessary.

I've very politely asked that people refrain from name-calling authors on the AH. I really don't know what else can be done at this point, because it appears that no amount of polite requests will be heeded.

You congratulated sr for winning, then accused the other two winners of cheating.

So apparently the contests are legitimate only when you like the person who wins. The very same contest is legitimate for sr, but not for the other two.

You want to believe that odd twist of logic? That's fine. But you don't get to use this forum to make other authors feel bad for placing or participating in a contest here.

I've answered your questions on the other thread. I've told you we're working implementing changes that you have suggested. I've very politely asked that people name-calling authors here. I really don't know what else can be done at this point, because it appears that no amount of polite requests will be heeded.

Sorry but i did not accuse anyone of cheating. I said they had a formula for winning and used it to great advantage as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back