Seldom-used words - M to A

Thermal pudding, very nice, Carlus. I find it is almost impossible not to lift certain phrases from other places and use them in my writing. Thankfully, most of the ones I choose are from 150 years ago.

moue - noun a little grimace: POUT

Thermal pudding, very nice, Carlus. I find it is almost impossible not to lift certain phrases from other places and use them in my writing. Thankfully, most of the ones I choose are from 150 years ago.

moue - noun a little grimace: POUT

Ooh, Allard, such a lovely new pic! I have a lot of reading to do to catch up in this thread but I love moue such a lot I am going to leap straight in.

Am I allowed appartement meublé as a cheating way to come back in and say Hullo? I do love the idea of being provided with a furnished apartment in return for one's favours. One can just imagine the kind of furniture provided ...
:rose:

Am I allowed appartement meublé as a cheating way to come back in and say Hullo? I do love the idea of being provided with a furnished apartment in return for one's favours. One can just imagine the kind of furniture provided ...

I understand that the progression was from chambre separée to appartement meublé.

I wonder what the lady had to do to be promoted from one to the other?

I understand that the progression was from chambre separée to appartement meublé.

I wonder what the lady had to do to be promoted from one to the other?

My Goodness! that sounds like a story you have to write!
:devil:

Not another one! I have ten possible Nude Day stories already...:(

OMG! wait for me to eat the two tarts ... :eek: er, I mean read them! Read the tarts ... recipe ... I don't think I could eat out two tarts ... I mean eat two jam tarts at once!

I am at a loss for words now, at any rate rare ones starting with M. I must go and lie down quietly for a moment. ;)

Hello, lovely Naoko, so wonderful to have you drop in here for a moment. I had to look up meuble' and this is what the online dictionary said, which is not quite what you were talking about, I am sure. How about a little more information, if you have time. It sounds like the placage arrangement that was so popular in New Orleans from its earliest beginnings.

meubles - plural noun a class of property under French law that consists essentially of movables — compare immeubles

Hello, lovely Naoko, so wonderful to have you drop in here for a moment. I had to look up meuble' and this is what the online dictionary said, which is not quite what you were talking about, I am sure. How about a little more information, if you have time. It sounds like the placage arrangement that was so popular in New Orleans from its earliest beginnings.

meubles - plural noun a class of property under French law that consists essentially of movables — compare immeubles

Oh gosh, Ogg will explain much better than me, probably with pictures.

An appartement meublé (known in Chiswick as a furnished flat) is what ladies who are taken under a gennelman's ah ... protection ;) get provided for them. I mean top class ladies of that kind, not mere whores. I believe the thing was to make sure you got an appartement meublé on the Avenue Kléber? Ogg will correct me, I am sure he is completely au fait with the exact arrondisement in which a proper Lady of the Night should insist on having her meubles situated.

Hullo, dear Allard, I am looking hard for other M words. As a MILF, uh *cough cough*, I mean Mom! I am sure I ought to have plenty of them lying around the place.

An appartement meublé (known in Chiswick as a furnished flat) is what ladies who are taken under a gennelman's ah ... protection ;) get provided for them. I mean top class ladies of that kind, not mere whores. I believe the thing was to make sure you got an appartement meublé on the Avenue Kléber? Ogg will correct me, I am sure he is completely au fait with the exact arrondisement in which a proper Lady of the Night should insist on having her meubles situated.

Hullo, dear Allard, I am looking hard for other M words. As a MILF, uh *cough cough*, I mean Mom! I am sure I ought to have plenty of them lying around the place.

you sure she hasn't lost her marbles ?

Naoko, it sounds like the placage system, from placar - to place, that quadroon and octaroon women were given to live in with their lover, not husband. In the placage system, the woman and her children owned the little cottage they lived in and the lover paid for everything and visited often. Since it was a French custom, it only figures it started in France and moved to New Orleans later.

mot juste - noun the exactly right word

Naoko, it sounds like the placage system, from placar - to place, that quadroon and octaroon women were given to live in with their lover, not husband. In the placage system, the woman and her children owned the little cottage they lived in and the lover paid for everything and visited often. Since it was a French custom, it only figures it started in France and moved to New Orleans later.

mot juste - noun the exactly right word

I'm sure it's just the same thing. I think Gigi has an appartement meublé offered to her, along with a carriage etc etc.

I have found a word! I hope you haven't had it already, I haven't had time to read back through very far.

moiré - for fabric with a sort of watered look to it, particularly silk, I think?

I do like how this thread often has fabric and fashion words in it.

Naoko, it is a pleasure just to chat with you again, really. Moire' is a great word and is included in my first novel. I passed over these two fabric words, but now, because of you, I will add them;

mousseline - noun a fine sheer fabric (as of rayon) that resembles muslin

mousseline de soie - noun a silk muslin resembling chiffon but having a crisp finish

Thanks for the compliment on my picture. I like to update myself periodically. hehe

Naoko, it is a pleasure just to chat with you again, really. Moire' is a great word and is included in my first novel. I passed over these two fabric words, but now, because of you, I will add them;

mousseline - noun a fine sheer fabric (as of rayon) that resembles muslin

mousseline de soie - noun a silk muslin resembling chiffon but having a crisp finish

Thanks for the compliment on my picture. I like to update myself periodically. hehe

mousseline de soie! Ooooh, I am going to have to go and lie down murmuring that to myself momentarily. LOL.

That is a great picture! and looks like there is a bit of story to it, fascinating.

I have another super word!

Malapropism - the use of the wrong word in place of one that sounds similar, from Sheridan's character Mrs. Malaprop.

As when my students, in discussing how one sociological phenomenon may lead on to another, mistakenly write: casual relations :D.

Although I hate to tear myself away from you, Naoko, now that you have arrived, I must add just one more double entry, before I head out to the gardens and get to work. I am trying to beat the heat of the day, and that can be difficult, when I would rather stay inside and play on here.

motile(1) - adj exhibiting or capable of movement

motile(2) - noun a person whose prevailing mental imagery takes the form of inner feelings of action

Please come back soon!

Although I hate to tear myself away from you, Naoko, now that you have arrived, I must add just one more double entry, before I head out to the gardens and get to work. I am trying to beat the heat of the day, and that can be difficult, when I would rather stay inside and play on here.

motile(1) - adj exhibiting or capable of movement

motile(2) - noun a person whose prevailing mental imagery takes the form of inner feelings of action

Please come back soon!

I really love that second definition.

Have a good gardening session! be careful of your back.

BTW, I came across this delightful Welsh phrase the other day, which happens to start with an 'M'. Normally the Welsh say: "sorri" for sorry, LOL, but the actual high Welsh for offering an apology is: Mae'n ddrwg. It literally means Mine is the badness, or My Bad.

That was Lord Elgin ;)

He didn't lose ALL of them. Some of them were sunk in a shipwreck.

He 'found' the ones displayed in the British Museum by wrenching them off the Parthenon. He said he had permission from the Turkish authorities who ruled Greece at the time.

But at that time anyone could get 'permission' from the Turkish authorities to do anything. All it took was a few gold coins passed into the right hands.

An appartement meublé (known in Chiswick as a furnished flat) is what ladies who are taken under a gennelman's ah ... protection ;) get provided for them. I mean top class ladies of that kind, not mere whores...

It was 19th and 20th Century ladies who acquired the appartements meublé. Apparently 21st Century ladies have to provide their own for Presidents to travel to on a moped.

18th and earlier Century ladies preferred to have a chateau meublé.

Not a cheat at all in my humble opinion, Naoko! Meublé is a very interesting word. It's a participial form of the French verb meubler, to furnish. However, without the accent, it's meuble, moveable—and it's here that it reveals its root in the Latin adjective mobilus. The same word is found in Spanish: mueble, where it means a piece of furniture. In English, of course, it's mobile, with the final letter silent. I don't know very much at all about Italian, but there's the famous phrase La donna e mobile, so the same word is to be found in that language, where it evidently means (perhaps among other things) changeable, or even fickle.

It was 19th and 20th Century ladies who acquired the appartements meublé. Apparently 21st Century ladies have to provide their own for Presidents to travel to on a moped.

18th and earlier Century ladies preferred to have a chateau meublé.

:D

Not a cheat at all in my humble opinion, Naoko! Meublé is a very interesting word. It's a participial form of the French verb meubler, to furnish. However, without the accent, it's meuble, moveable—and it's here that it reveals its root in the Latin adjective mobilus. The same word is found in Spanish: mueble, where it means a piece of furniture. In English, of course, it's mobile, with the final letter silent. I don't know very much at all about Italian, but there's the famous phrase La donna e mobile, so the same word is to be found in that language, where it evidently means (perhaps among other things) changeable, or even fickle.

Phew, I'm glad it wasn't a cheat and that I got back in here with a genuine golden ticket.

I suppose the Donnas who got appartements meublés probably were mobile, to the menfolk, if not to their muebles.

Marquetry - the art of applying bits of veneer to furniture. The appartements meublés were no doubt full of elegant furnishings with marquetry panels in them. I attach here a pic of some Japanese marquetry buttons.

l_1169687.jpg

A Happy Memorial Day to all, who celebrate it.

Will someone explain the Lord Elgin and his marbles joke to me, the uninformed American?

Naoko, "my bad" in high Welsh is fantastic, but pronouncing presents another problem for me.

Thanks, everyone, for the great additional posts on meuble.

This is one I have never heard, sorry to say, because it is a great one;

mother wit - noun natural wit or intelligence

Will someone explain the Lord Elgin and his marbles joke to me, the uninformed American?

Lord Elgin removed the surviving marble pediment from the Parthenon in Athens. Whether he was authorised to do so by the then Ottoman rulers is dubious. He eventually sold them to the British Government and they are displayed in the basement of the British Museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_Marbles

773px-Elgin_Marbles_British_Museum.jpg

If he hadn't removed them, they would probably not have survived in such a good condition as they are in now. But the Greeks would like them back.

What he should have done, and what he might have been permitted to do, was to take plaster casts of them. That was frequently done in the 19th Century for works of sculpture and architectural detail. Most large European Museums had collections of plaster casts for students to study, particularly those who couldn't travel to see the originals.

Most of those plaster cast collections were destroyed in World Wars 1 and 2 or by unenlightened curators who wanted the space for 'real art', not copies. The best collection left is in the http://www.vam.ac.uk/page/c/cast-courts/ Cast Courts of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, one of my favourite places. They have a full size copy of http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/trajans-column/ Trajan's Column, showing much more detail than the original which has endured another century and a half of Rome's weather.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/d/davids-fig-leaf/

2007BM5740_michelangelo_david_plaster_cast_290x435.jpg

Lord Elgin's name is no longer mentioned in relation to the Parthenon Marbles, as the British Museum calls them now. Piglet and I went to look at them when in London a little while back. We tried to see the Rosetta Stone too but it was six deep in people pressed around its glass case, so I said to her: "Let's get the one in chocolate from the gift shop, then we can eat it after we've read it." :)

If he hadn't removed them, they would probably not have survived in such a good condition as they are in now. But the Greeks would like them back.

Every now & again, some Greek spokes-person (at one time, it was actress Melina Mercuri) tries to campaign for the return of the marbles. A casual glance at the state of the other bits of marble left would seem to indicate that the local Greeks couldn't care less about the damned things as they have done nothing whatsoever to preserve the remaining statuary from the industrial smog (acid rain, etc.) which is slowly dissolving the marble.

That the UK has them and, furthermore, has them well protected. But we could actually let them have a set of reproduction (casts) to put back on the temple (Parthenon, the temple of Athene), but nobody has bothered about it as far as I know.

I walked through the Parthenon once, early in the morning on a Sunday when monuments in Greece are (were?) free entry. It was a most strange experience. When I arrived I was lucky enough that not many people were there; as I left crowds were already filling the site. I felt as if every step I took was being captured on somebody's camera.

Mercurial - swift; also volatile and changeable. I like how the word suggests qualities both of the winged messenger of the Gods, and of quicksilver.

Back