The size of the male organ - a tip for writers

I am sorry, but I do have to laugh every time I see a male organ described as really large and then a writer says that it is 4 or 4 and 1/4 inches around.... I don't know if that is a discrepancy of not understanding the difference of diameter and circumference, or a lack of familiarity with penises. 2 -2 1/2 inches in diameter is substantial, 4 inches in circumference is downright SKINNY!

I recently saw a story where a penis was described as 4.25 inches around and 10.5 inches long. A vision of a broom-handle popped into my mind!

My own hands are small. Making a circle of thumb and forefinger and then measuring tip to tip is about 7.5 inches.

Putting it another way, circumference of a circle is diameter x pi (3.14159)...

I am sorry, but I do have to laugh every time I see a male organ described as really large and then a writer says that it is 4 or 4 and 1/4 inches around.... I don't know if that is a discrepancy of not understanding the difference of diameter and circumference, or a lack of familiarity with penises. 2 -2 1/2 inches in diameter is substantial, 4 inches in circumference is downright SKINNY!

I recently saw a story where a penis was described as 4.25 inches around and 10.5 inches long. A vision of a broom-handle popped into my mind!

My own hands are small. Making a circle of thumb and forefinger and then measuring tip to tip is about 7.5 inches.

Putting it another way, circumference of a circle is diameter x pi (3.14159)...

I think the whole number description thing ought to be kept to a minimum anyhow. It's awkward to read prose wrought with sudden lists of numbers. Especially inaccurate ones. ;)

from the joke pile:

I'm not saying I've got a big cock...

But when I get an erection, I haven't got enough skin left to close my eyes.

I think the whole number description thing ought to be kept to a minimum anyhow. It's awkward to read prose wrought with sudden lists of numbers. Especially inaccurate ones. ;)

Agreed. I might have used a number to describe the length of a penis but as a reader "thick" is good enough for me. I don't know what digits make a thick penis or a thin penis so reader that it was 4.5 doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm in favor of just describing it and letting the reader decide what that means. What I think of as a big, thick penis might be someone else's below average so leave it vague and let the reader decide.

Yes please, give me descriptions not numbers !

Try being a European brought up on the metric system i.e. centimeters. Then it's really confusing with all these inches and other non-metric measurements. ;)

"He was 6 feet 2 and had a six inch cock" - that's not very impressive - oh wait I have to convert, let's see ehm: 6 x 2.54 cm equals 15 cm give or take, OK not too bad then. Now where was I, oh never mind I'll just find another story...

Last edited:
Try being a European brought up on the metric system i.e. centimeters. Then it's really confusing with all these inches and other non-metric measurements. ;)

"He was 6 feet 2 and had a six inch cock" - that's not very impressive - oh wait I have to convert, let's see ehm: 6 x 2.54 cm equals 15 cm give or take, OK not too bad then. Now where was I, oh never mind I'll just find another story...

Bahahahahaa! You poor thing. :D

Agreed. I might have used a number to describe the length of a penis but as a reader "thick" is good enough for me. I don't know what digits make a thick penis or a thin penis so reader that it was 4.5 doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm in favor of just describing it and letting the reader decide what that means. What I think of as a big, thick penis might be someone else's below average so leave it vague and let the reader decide.

"Thick" is good, LOL, definitely good!

I like to describe things via peoples reactions.
"Dusty expected a pretty woman, but Gwendoline, when she finally appeared wrapped in velvet and apologies, was jawdroppingly beautiful."
What that beauty is-- the reader can fill that in. In other places I mention her grace, smooth skin, 'angelic eyes' but she could be black, white, Oriental, Hispanic for all we know.

Or a guy might use number himself, in the dialogue;

“I really dig you, too,” His face in profile to her, his grin revealed white teeth, and he turned to offer her his lovely, innocent smile. “Oh, yeah,” he said huskily. “Looky here, what I got for you,” He shrugged off the robe. Stella took in the massive shoulders, coal black nipples on his powerful chest. His lean stomach, narrow waist, swelling thighs, were all absolutely beautiful, she thought. And his erection… She almost laughed. It was ridiculous, like a joke, how could he be that big? His grin widened at her reaction.

”Don’t be ‘fraid, baby,” he said; “This thing can’t hurt you,” He looked down at it, proudly. Stella couldn’t trust herself to speak. She reached for him, and he came up, let her take him in her hand. She measured his cock against her palm, hefting it gently. It was long, she decided, but its girth was its most formidable aspect; she couldn’t close her finger and thumb around it.

”Nine and a quarter,” he said proudly. “And ‘most seven inches round,” and she did chuckle at that. His scrotum was massive, the wrinkled, shifting skin soft and black as velvet.

Just a note that discussions like this need to be compartmented. To hard core gay males, measurements are known and expected in stories, and size matters (and not just in stories). So, it makes a difference who your target audience is. Euphemistic references are good for soft-core GM stories, but when your target is the real, active player, direct references work best.

I'm reminded of Mercutio's description of his mortal wound, ITS NOT BIG AS A BARN NOR DEEP AS A WELL, BUT IS ENOUGH.

I posted a story where one guy observing another guys cock thinks, I'VE SEEN BIGGER BUT HIS LOOKS LIKE ENOUGH.

Just a note that discussions like this need to be compartmented. To hard core gay males, measurements are known and expected in stories, and size matters (and not just in stories). So, it makes a difference who your target audience is. Euphemistic references are good for soft-core GM stories, but when your target is the real, active player, direct references work best.

Because you're hardcore, and edgy. :D You don't mess around with any of that wussy sof'-core stuff. You work with PLAYERS. REAL, ACTIVE ones. :D :D

Not trying to start a fight. Not trying to be a pacifist either. I just love how every piece of advice you give puts your unique writing style on a pedestal.

Because you're hardcore, and edgy. :D You don't mess around with any of that wussy sof'-core stuff. You work with PLAYERS. REAL, ACTIVE ones. :D :D

Not trying to start a fight. Not trying to be a pacifist either. I just love how every piece of advice you give puts your unique writing style on a pedestal.

You know, he may indeed work with players, or have in the past. I'd think the one thing he has over you in the GM category (or me, if I wrote in that category) is that he is a man who has had sex with other men. So yeah, that'd give him a bit more insight into the GM scene than you or I might have, despite any experience of being fag hags that we might have (well, I have; don't know about you).

He's not putting his work on a pedestal, he's just pointing out what actual gay males like in stories about gay men -- not what straight women seem to like.

I think the scores of his hardcore GM stories testify to the fact I would not let his advice affect anyone who wants to write them.

I would imagine "stats" may be more important to a Gay man because many (and I understand not all) of them are the equivalent to "size queens"

I work with a guy who has asked me many times over the years show big it is and since I never answered him was trying to get it out of my wife at the Christmas party

Regardless in my work I stay away from the numbers, for cocks and tits

His "Sizable" cock,. her more than "ample" tits. That lets everyone use their own experience or preferences as a measuring stick. To some women 8" is sizable, to some its 10"+ ample tits could be a full c cup or double D's I let the reader imagine it

Last edited:
Short and stiff has it over long but limp.

It's how you use your gift that counts, right ladies? ;)

I write across the board. I do soft-core as well. Perhaps you just haven't read into my collection enough.

But then I've had a full range of actual GM sex, so I guess that's how I can write to the separate audiences. I'm not a "let's pretend" female writer of GM writing for "let's pretend" female readers--since you made that "pedestal" crack.

I was simply trying to make a comment on what real gay men--at least the hardcore of them--want in a story. That was the question. What to do in writing a story here.

Last edited:
I write across the board. I do soft-core as well. Perhaps you just haven't read into my collection enough.

But then I've had a full range of actual GM sex, so I guess that's how I can write to the separate audiences. I'm not a "let's pretend" female writer of GM writing for "let's pretend" female readers--since you made that "pedestal" crack.

I was simply trying to make a comment on what real gay men--at least the hardcore of them--want in a story. That was the question. What to do in writing a story here.

Maybe I just read your post in the wrong tone. Wrong frame of mind. Sorry pilot.

Comment deleted, as fighting wasn't any thing I was interested in doing.

It totally makes sense that gay guys write and read measurements. GUYS write and read measurements. My guys that I write, they all talk measurements.

Metric measurements still don't mean much to me. My daughters don't really understand some Imperial measurements. All of us have to do some mental arithmetic to convert to the measures we understand.

When I was at my first school, exercise books had a long set of measurement tables printed on the back cover as a useful crib.

We measured the area of the school playground using a surveyor's chain.

What? You don't know the length of a surveyor's chain? It is four rods, or four poles, or four perches, or more familiarly the length of a cricket wicket i.e. 22 yards. (Note: a rod, or a pole, are both synonyms for penis but no penis is a rod or pole long - perhaps a whale's is.)

My grandchildren were born metric and measured in kilograms. That had to be converted to pounds and ounces for the grandparents.

Metric measurements still don't mean much to me. My daughters don't really understand some Imperial measurements. All of us have to do some mental arithmetic to convert to the measures we understand.

When I was at my first school, exercise books had a long set of measurement tables printed on the back cover as a useful crib.

We measured the area of the school playground using a surveyor's chain.

What? You don't know the length of a surveyor's chain? It is four rods, or four poles, or four perches, or more familiarly the length of a cricket wicket i.e. 22 yards. (Note: a rod, or a pole, are both synonyms for penis but no penis is a rod or pole long - perhaps a whale's is.)

My grandchildren were born metric and measured in kilograms. That had to be converted to pounds and ounces for the grandparents.
So, what do you use to measure your dick? :p

So, what do you use to measure your dick? :p

A ruler marked with 'inches' that are not Imperial inches, of course...

I wrote a story Pride about a man with the biggest one in town, without mentioning measurements.

Last edited:
Back