Boston bound - what are the must sees?

Aphro

Femme du monde
Joined
Jan 30, 2013
Posts
8,493
Dear Gee Bee:

I have four days in Boston the first week of September. It's my first time visiting, so spam me with your best things to do in the area, places to go, restaurants, etc.

Go!
 
Is that because parking in Boston sucks, or because it's a nice walk? Or both?
 
Dear Gee Bee:

I have four days in Boston the first week of September. It's my first time visiting, so spam me with your best things to do in the area, places to go, restaurants, etc.

Go!

See a game at Fenway. Coolest ballpark in the world.
 
The 'Duck Tour' sounds stupid but you can actually see a tremendous amount. This is located at Copley Plaza directly across the street, and between, the Westin and Marriott hotels. Alternatively, you can do the 'Freedom Trail' if you are into the history of America's independence. This is a walking tour.

The Museum of Fine Arts is fantastic. You can always get tickets for the BSO or Boston Pops too which is great take.

Cross the Charles River and visit Harvard Square and Harvard Yard.

I would check out Newbury St and the Boston Common. You can eat at the 'Atlantic Seafood Company' on Bolyston. I would do lunch, not dinner. Avoid Legal Seafoods. Atlantic is the best seafood restaurant in Boston.

The 'Beehive' in the South End is a great place to eat. It has Rathskellar memorabilia and furnishings. 'The Rat' was probably the best live music venue in the city for 25 years. A lot of young people do the 'House of Blues' on Landsdown now. I think it sucks.

I think 'Elephant Walk' is a great restaurant too. It's Cambodia and Southeast Asian. A lot of original dishes.

Be sure to hit up the North End but I'd avoid Faneuil Hall Marketplace. I think that sucks. There are definitely fantastic, usually small, Italian restaurants in the North End. I mention Faneuil Hall because it's right by the North End.

Finally, avoid going into the Cheers Bar. I think you pass it on the Duck Tour but it sucks inside and is a total waste of time.

Hope this helps.
 
Parking sucks ass.

Park in the Back Bay, Dalton Street Parking Garage and use Uber all day.

Parking in Boston does suck but I don't think it's as bad as using the MBTA. It's antiquated and the Green Line is fucking torture.
 
I am from Boston. Definitely go see Fenway Park. Quincy Market is fun, it is for tourists but still fun, none the less.
Do the Freedom Trail! It is a walking tour of the city. You will see Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, The US Constitution and the Tea Party Boat, along with ancient cemeteries. Highly recommended. You can join a walking tour (you pay) or just follow the gold line that is embedded in the brick walk ways. (Do not wear heels)
Go to Boston Common.
Go see the ducklings :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Way_for_Ducklings
If you like Italian, go to the North End. All Italian, the smaller the restaurant, the better the food.
If you like fancy shopping or a chance to catch a glimpse of someone famous, go to Newbury St.
 
Mind you, it's been 40 years since I lived in Waban (one stop west of Newton), so things might have changed just a bit. If you have transportation, get out of the city and go down to Cape Cod.
 
Tea at the top of the Prudential building.

Harvard Square is fun. I think it's all great, I love Boston.
 
Combat Zone is long gone. Since the 90's. It is now businesses and fancy hotels. Never had an issue in Boston.


Not recommended.

Where is the Red light district now? What about Chinatown?

Maybe things have improved. I have heard that pickpockets are on the way out. We used to watch the groups set up their game.

I only got pickpocketed once in Fanuel Hall Marketplace. The guy got a $10 bill right out of my front right pocket, without taking anything else. I felt his hand as he bumped me, turned around elbowed him hard in the stomach, he kind of went ooff and ran off. I didn't realize he was a pickpocket until I went to get the $10 out. I thought it was a sexual thing.
 
I always liked the wooden roller coaster at Revere Beach.

But you'll need a time travel machine for that.
 
Back
Top