the "ask crazychemgirl a question" thread

Why do two relatively mundane and stable metals like iron oxide and aluminium powder produce so much heat when ignited?

Last edited:
Why do two relatively mundane and stable metals like iron oxide and aluminium powder produce so much heat when ignited?

the reaction is Fe2O3 + 2 Al → 2 Fe + Al2O3 which releases a large amount of heat.. aluminum forms stronger bonds with oxygen than iron. The breaking and forming of the bonds gives off the heat in an exothermic reaction... this is why these materials are commonly used for welding and fireworks.

What do slightly green bananas peels off gas?

slightly green banana peels off gas? I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Exothermic reaction.

wow, I didn't know your name was crazychemgirl (or chemgirljaime)

Thank you I've been looking for that word for three days.

exothermic - releases heat
endothermic - requires heat

It's not. It's just that not having to Google the answer means I can post faster.

lol, I didn't have to google the answer.... I just don't always check this thread every 2 seconds.. sometimes I'm awol for awhile.

If you take slightly green bananas and peel the. Then take the peels and put them in a zip lock bag. Vacuum the air out. The next day the bag will have some clear gas in it. The bag should NOT be opened near your face. The gas displaces the oxygen...

So what is that gas?

If you take slightly green bananas and peel the. Then take the peels and put them in a zip lock bag. Vacuum the air out. The next day the bag will have some clear gas in it. The bag should NOT be opened near your face. The gas displaces the oxygen...

So what is that gas?

the gas is ethylene gas, which is produced to ripen the fruit.

So what is that gas?

the gas is ethylene gas, which is produced to ripen the fruit.

Do you think inhaling a ziplock full of ethylene gas will make you do anything other than cough a couple of times?

Back