JL New Wave: The Challengers from Beyond! (IC)

Sure he won't make a peep, but neither will he go out like the sheep!

Gmork was hurled back by the advancing wave of supersonic, celestial harmonic vibrancy. He was thrown like a piece of hay at the speed of sound except their was no tree trunk to pierce. Instead, he skipped along the remaining air currents before impacting into a cresting wave of Nothing. Gmork disappeared into the fog and lightning.

The indignity of it, Blue thought, would drive his old friend to new heights of insane fury. Sure enough, a moment later Blue could make out a black speck bursting from the Nothing and skipping back along fog the color of yellow paper. Blue sighed and tore his gaze away, tilting his blonde head to the heavens. The Nothing reached across most of what Blue had learned in the Mundy should have been infinite space, but perhaps that had been a fable the Mundies had told themselves. It was everywhere. Omnipresent.

"Ah well," Blue said, leaning on Gabriel's Horn, which was as long as he was tall. While it was a marvel in its own right, Blue didn't feel like marveling. He lowered his lips upon the mouthpiece, but not to blow it again. It was just a convenient place to rest his face. The bell of the horn was resting on the six feet of marble dais, which was all that remained of the homelands. It was tempting to blow again, shatter the stone, and plummet through what remained of the air until he was enveloped in the Nothing.

"Bbllluuuueeeee!" Gmork's voice still cracked like thunder, even if it was no longer associated with any of the celestial incarna. There was hate and rage in that voice, raw primal emotions in the intonations that didn't take a trained musician to recognize.

It brought a smile to Blue's lips to know that his friend would be the one to take him out in the end. It seemed like a better way to go then giving in to the Nothing like so many people had. Something about letting himself slip into that quiet, enveloping embrace and being unmade just didn't sit well with him. He could have brought out the Vorpal Sword and perhaps mustered up enough emotion to sword dance and blade sing. But Blue couldn't bring himself to kill his only friend left in the world, even if they were no longer really friends.

The Nothing had finished its last meal, and now its tendrils shot out with a speed that rivaled Gmork's. That was saying something since Gmork ran faster than the wind. One of those tendrils of smoke and fog sawed through half the marble platform. Somehow whatever kept the platform aloft kept the section Blue was on afloat even as the other half sunk into the depths of the Nothing. He liked to think it was the Emperess' love for him or her hope for a new beginning.

Gmork was now the size of a hand and growing as he came further into the frame of view for the scene.

Blue hadn't moved yet. It had just been fortunate that he'd appeared on the left side and the Nothing had claimed the right side. But that was true of so many situations. In a right-handed world, Blue usually ended up on the left-hand side. Left handed people couldn't cut with right handed scissors, and so it went with most situations when you were on the wrong side. This final time, at least, had been in Blue's favor.

Blue crooked his lips into a smile and cast of the lingering melancholy. With his right hand, he exchanged the horn for his sword. The Vorpal Sword at least was eager for a fight. It's emotion bled over to his. It was a crutch, but one Blue didn't begrudge right now. With his other hand he snagged another Budweiser. The edge of the Sword was so keen that when Blue sliced through the stem -- he thought it cut a more dramatic image then using the sword as a bottle opener -- the glass was as smooth as if it had been worn down by the loving hands of the ocean.

He raised the beer to Gmork. "Well, old friend-"

The Nothing, fog and lightning and everything else, formed a fist around him even as Gmork was but five feet away. It was a toss up which would devour him first, but Blue was making ready none the less. The beer for the Nothing and the sword for his friend. With his bases covered, a measure of peace came over him. Then instead of constricting the Nothing recoiled.

"ALL ABOARD WHO'S COMING ABOARD!"

Any warrior worth a salt's wage, knew to never turn your back on your enemy. It could be a trick at best. At worst, you gave up your advantage and lost situational awareness. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bushes and all that. But most warriors didn't have an invulnerable cloak protecting their backside, and most warriors couldn't teleport to anywhere they know they want to go.

Blue turned.

There standing like well a young women in a brown jacket with glasses. With her palms flung up, dark energy tore and ripped vortexes and emptiness in a dancing, jittery, spiderweb tapestry around here and now around Blue too. It have been more impressive if the young women wasn't standing in front of a telephone booth. A spaceship or at the head of a host of angels would have been pretty badass. It was a surreal, Ghostbuster's moment. Had he accidentally thought of the Staypuff Marshmellow man, or whatever that equivalent would be from Bill and Ted's excellent adventure when he'd blown his horn. Some odd commingling of pop culture and his love for the Childlike Empress? Never in a million years would he have imagined that in his darkest hour that he'd be saved by a genderbent Ted Logan to join a bevy of bodacious dudes and dudettes from across history.

"Sure," Blue said. It must have been one totally, heinous history exam to pluck me up, Blue thought, but didn't feel comfortable enough to say it. The mood and his relationship with this lady were too tenuous. She might even be a boxer. Out of the frying pan and into the toilet.

He let Gmork not only hit him but drive him to the ground almost at the feet of the women. The Witching Cloak billowed out and around the remaining three feet of marble. With a thought, the remains of the dais disappeared into the cloak, and both Gmork and Blue were tumbling down towards the Nothing.

Blue frowned. He'd lost so many friends. He didn't have any more tears to shed. The Childlike Empress had taken all of those with her. "Goodbye my friend."

The Nothing was nothing if not eager to devour both of them. So while there shouldn't be gravity considering nothing was left, nonetheless the pair gravitated towards the Nothing that was all around them but for whatever reason they fell down. Gmork was a whirlwind of tooth and claw, but Blue drew himself up into an invincible ball. A ball that kept wrapping itself up, in, and upon itself until it was gone.

Blue had seen enough of the interior of the phone booth to know where he wanted to go. The cloak took him there. He appeared behind the dudette. His back to the interior of the ship, which conveniently put him at the dudette's back with his Vorpal Sword drawn.

"Snicker-Snack!" the Vorpal Sword said.
 
"Superman" was more than a little intrigued that Jon had already recovered from that punch and was flying back at him at a modestly impressive speed. The kid had been holding out on him. ...huh.

Maybe this wouldn't actually be boring.

He grinned to himself... and left himself wide open for the boy to come crashing into him right where the thermosphere met the mesosphere, the impact ringing like the thunderclap of a god. Like a one-punch Ragnarok.

Hurtling back from Jon's fists, "Superman" wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve, and laughed softly. "That's actually not bad. What have they been feeding you? Something in the water?"

But he grinned a wicked, wicked grin. "It won't be enough."

And unleashed a hellstorm from his eyes that could roast a city off of a map quicker than microwaving popcorn.

Jon unleashed his own heat vision and continued flying towards the "madman". He pushed it as far as he dared to, after all the last thing he wanted to do was end up going solar flare this early in the fight and then being powerless. Especially if it didn't stop this guy.
 
~Earth 11, 3017, Medicus One medical station~

The Omnicom monitor on M'Onel began to chime. Doctor Gym'll ran to the screen bellowing "I told them she was not fit to be in the field! But would they listen? Of course not. They are the sproking Legion and they know oh so much better!"

Her heart rate was going through the roof. Her psych monitor readings were way off.

~Vega System~

Chaos broke out. M'Onel began scanning ships with her x-ray vision looking for kids. As she found a ship that was trying in vain to get to her and she started making way towards it a signal came through on her Omnicomm. "Legionnaire, you will continue on the presceduled assistance." She ignored it and kept making for the ship with kids aboard it. Before she got there a plasma bolt seared into her back. The ship that had signalled had just opened fire on her!

Everything in her head began to swim and roil. Recent memories poured into her mind yet again and rage began to swell in her heart. She got to the ship with the kids and directed them away from the growing rift and hurled it. She turned on the ship that fired on her, eyes blazing, and hit the plasma canon full on with her heat vision. "You are now the last ship I will get clear of here Tiberius. Governor Sh'ron you should know better than to open fire on what is going to try to save you." Oh how she wanted to open fire on the Tiberius again. She wanted to carve it apart, but she was better than that.

Laurel kept scanning ships and hurling ships clear, but the rift's growth was starting to accelerate. She wasn't going to get them all clear. At least the Tiberius would be with her when they all died.
 
Red Son.

Jon unleashed his own heat vision and continued flying towards the "madman". He pushed it as far as he dared to, after all the last thing he wanted to do was end up going solar flare this early in the fight and then being powerless. Especially if it didn't stop this guy.

Jon's beams intersected the other's in mid-air and the collision was like the annihilation of particles, slamming, sparking, arcing, and kicking off heat like the death of the universe...

"Superman" whooped as they both hurtled towards each other, peering down the lengths of their heat beams... both of them diving into the inferno they created together...

..."Superman" swung a right cross hard through the shattering scattering of heat photons and seemed to ignore his skin as it blistered, aiming to crack Jon sideways across the face and knock him pell-mell across the thermosphere...
 
Curiouser and curiouser.

Blue turned.

"Sure," Blue said. It must have been one totally, heinous history exam to pluck me up, Blue thought, but didn't feel comfortable enough to say it.

The Doctor was expending considerable energy and will, here. Not the most she ever had-- resurrecting Eve One on Wonderworld was that, for all the good it had done them --but she could still catch the errant thought emanating from his head. Most non-triumphant, she agreed silently, as she gritted her teeth--

--but then her eyes went wide as the speeding creature hurtled at him--

"LOOK OUT!"

He let Gmork not only hit him but drive him to the ground almost at the feet of the women. The Witching Cloak billowed out and around the remaining three feet of marble. With a thought, the remains of the dais disappeared into the cloak, and both Gmork and Blue were tumbling down towards the Nothing.

"No! Nononononono!" The Doctor roared-- ordinarily she would be able to do any number of things-- telekinesis-- teleportation-- summon a grappling hook out of thin air and fire it down to the falling Boy-- but if she let up her nullomantic counterspell for even an instant The Nothing would consume what was left of the marble platform shard, the shift-ship, her...

...and most importantly, Kyle, the innocent civilian she'd managed to drag into this, stupid stupid stupid...

...but Blue still had plenty of tricks literally up his sleeves.

Gmork was a whirlwind of tooth and claw, but Blue drew himself up into an invincible ball. A ball that kept wrapping itself up, in, and upon itself until it was gone.

Blue had seen enough of the interior of the phone booth to know where he wanted to go. The cloak took him there. He appeared behind the dudette. His back to the interior of the ship, which conveniently put him at the dudette's back with his Vorpal Sword drawn.

"Snicker-Snack!" the Vorpal Sword said.

The Doctor fired a glance back over her shoulder, a faint smirk on her lips, strain visible on her face, cold sweat beading on her brow.

"Yes, you're positively frabjous."

"GET IN THE BOX BEFORE WE'RE ALL REMIXED TO OBLIVION, EH?"
 
Lost in the Bleedspace was not as lost as it could have been.

The Doctor's tampering with the Fatherbox sent J'onn J'onzz through a Boom Tube to another destination.

When the Tube opened, the Dark Manhunter fell unceremoniously to the ground of some world, somewhere. He caught himself at the last instant, landing in a crouch, and then slowly stood to his full height.

Winds buffeted his cape. Sand blew across his face. His Martian eyes surveyed the scene around him.

Desert.

Dunes that stretched to the horizon.

But, these sands were not red. No, they were the same tan and beige and dusty brown of a desert that had never seen rain, and were, as yet, untouched by human hand.

Lightning in the distance. A static discharge coming from the dunes that crackled into the tearing wind. Something moved beneath the sands. J'onn could feel its vibrations.

The sand before him spouted upwards in a plume as a great sandworm erupted into the air. The creature opened and closed its great maw, the triangular mouth with its elongated and delta-shaped mandibles clicking even over the whipping wind.

The worm plunged again into the sand, the dunes shifting as if on a tide as the creature moved once again beneath the surface. The vibrations receded as the great beast tunneled away.

The Dark Manhunter shook his head.

Arrakis..

Dune.

Were you not already a wasteland, I would see you in ruin.

He manipulated the Box and opened a Boom Tube.

It was time to rejoin the hunt.
 
He's under a haystack, He's fast asleep.

The Doctor is in. said:
The Doctor fired a glance back over her shoulder, a faint smirk on her lips, strain visible on her face, cold sweat beading on her brow.

"Yes, you're positively frabjous."

"GET IN THE BOX BEFORE WE'RE ALL REMIXED TO OBLIVION, EH?"

Blue was puzzled. He'd taken the dais and teleported into the phone booth, and yet here he was standing on marble behind the dudette. Situational awareness was something that had been beaten into him over a century of gorilla warfare against the Adversary. Even though his hood was up obscuring both sides of his face, he could see through his cloak. The view was washed out but every detail was in sharp contrast. Sure enough they were a step outside of the booth.

Blue didn't say a word. The situation didn't warrant excessive dialogue. Light on his feet, Blue skipped backwards three steps. He stopped near some steampunk device, hissing steam at him. He was still on the balls of his feet with the Vorpal Sword out, but his guard was down.
 
Last edited:
Jon's beams intersected the other's in mid-air and the collision was like the annihilation of particles, slamming, sparking, arcing, and kicking off heat like the death of the universe...

"Superman" whooped as they both hurtled towards each other, peering down the lengths of their heat beams... both of them diving into the inferno they created together...

..."Superman" swung a right cross hard through the shattering scattering of heat photons and seemed to ignore his skin as it blistered, aiming to crack Jon sideways across the face and knock him pell-mell across the thermosphere...

Jon could feel this "Superman's" heat vision pushing his own back. He had to concentrate harder to keep up with his and still maintain control. So he slowed down. It had the effect of giving him enough time to see "Superman's" punch coming. He knew he couldn't dodge it, at least not completely. He started it and a nano second later he found himself flying backwards uncontrolled what what felt like a dislocated jaw. Or at least what he thought a dislocated jaw felt like.

Then the part he always hated... He crashed into a mountain... then finally hit the ground. He got up slowly as he looked around to see where he was. It was a snow covered whereever he was that was for sure. He wondered how much time he had to recover. If this "Superman" hadn't lost interest in him it probably wouldn't be long. At least they were far enough away from people now that if he did flare up he wouldn't kill anyone.
 
"'Angelic summons? Sonic flash? Distress call?' I wasn't aware The Presence had delegated any members of The Eagle Host to Earth-27-- not that They tend to loop me in on these things--"

"STOP! WAIT! DON'T OPEN THAT!"

She pelted around The Console, her coat jumping to her hand with a tiny burst of telekinesis, she swirled it around her shoulders--

--and darted in between Kyle and the door.

"Get behind The Console. Say a prayer, if you do that sort of thing."

"There is an all-consuming nullomantic entity noshing a Fableland out there and-- and I have to help, I have to-- but you. Need. To stay. Put."

--The Doctor yanked the doors open and lunged out--

"ALL ABOARD WHO'S COMING ABOARD!"

Stepping back Kyle readied himself for pretty much anything, except the yelling. Damn she had a set of lungs on her! “Pray?” He asked wonderingly. Should he pray? Was there a God or Goddess? A pantheon, a monotheistic Deity? A singular, a triad? A duality? And who was right if there was a deity formation?

And then, someone whirled in and came to a stop. And the way they were holding the sword was rather in a non-friendly way. So Kyle did the only thing he could, he stepped between the new one and Doctor Jamie.
 
Legacy.

Then the part he always hated... He crashed into a mountain... then finally hit the ground. He got up slowly as he looked around to see where he was. It was a snow covered whereever he was that was for sure. He wondered how much time he had to recover. If this "Superman" hadn't lost interest in him it probably wouldn't be long. At least they were far enough away from people now that if he did flare up he wouldn't kill anyone.

The burn on "Superman's" hand had already healed by the time he blurred to a sudden stop, hovering about thirty feet over Jon's head and sneering down at him.

"We're not far from Lake Baikal, in Siberia. Far enough from civilization that no-one'll see me kill you. If they hear the sound of the punches, they'll just think it's another Tunguska Event."

"Now, c'mon. Let's get this over with."

And he blurred down towards Jon feet first, both boots out in front of him in a vertical flying kick that could drive him deep into the mountain-- maybe right down into its roots!
 
Hey diddle diddle, the man of Green has shot down the Blue.

Kyle said:
“Pray?” He asked wonderingly.

And then, someone whirled in and came to a stop. And the way they were holding the sword was rather in a non-friendly way. So Kyle did the only thing he could, he stepped between the new one and Doctor Jamie.

Now this obsidian haired god stood before him with fierce eyes. The man held no weapon nor conjured no magics. He stood there defiant like Bigsby, except he didn't need to roar or growl. It was in his eyes. It was a staring contest and Blue was no match for the will behind those terrible green eyes. They were like laser beams tearing into his skull. Infinitely defiant.

Blue felt himself deflating. He still had the ache in his temples, but it was worse now. His mouth was dry and growing drier. And yes, he still had some of last night's beer splashed across his face and neck. He smelled like dung and earth. And those terrible green eyes saw all of his flaws and flung them back ten-fold. His shame worst of all. He felt bitter shame that he'd let himself fall so far; most of all because the Empress had had to see him like that in her final moments.

"Damn it all," he said, slumping down against whatever it was he'd ended up against. Still that dark god with his terrible green eyes bore into him, driving him back and down.

Perhaps he should pray to this god of obsidian and emerald, so as to appease? He needed the divine judgment to reliant. Blue had too many faults, cracks, and fissures to battle wits with the likes someone like this. Here and now in his darkest hour.

Blue exchanged his sword for a Snickers Bar, realizing that the god might be offended by the blade. Blue tore off the wrapper and gestured towards the dark god, hoping that perhaps this might supplement. He didn't have much else besides another beer to offer. Did gods eat junk food and shitty beer? The North Wind hadn't. Mister Dark had eaten teeth...

Blue felt pain and prickling around his eyes. Heat and shame built up until tears started to flow. Still Blue couldn't look away, he felt locked like a deer in headlights, except these were so much worse and green.
 
Timeout: Angst, Regrets, Digressions, & Interpersonal Strife.

Boy Blue got aboard with an admirable quickness.

The Doctor closed her hands into fists, the nullomantic counterspell cutting out with an audible snap.

And with a billow of brown coat and browner hair, she whirled and dove into the shift-ship behind him, slamming the double doors of The Blue Box without daring to look back, and flinging out a hand--

--the ship's parking brake disengaged, the autopilot kicked back on, and the shift-ship lurched back onto that tracking arc that was attempting to follow their enemy.

Even as The Nothing reduced the scrap of marble to, well, nothing-- the shift-ship warped away into The Bleed.

Throwing her coat aside, back onto a coral outcropping, she bounded back over to The Console and began making adjustments, flipping switches.

"Right, Kyle, you all right? I need you to get out your tablet-- we need to narrow down our target before we--"

She stopped. And frowned.

And took her glasses off, glancing at the two men.

"Erm. Are we, ah-- are we having a problem here?"
 
Kyle plays nonchalant

"Right, Kyle, you all right? I need you to get out your tablet-- we need to narrow down our target before we--"

She stopped. And frowned.

And took her glasses off, glancing at the two men.

"Erm. Are we, ah-- are we having a problem here?"

“No prob, as long as he keeps his toys to himself and doesn’t wave around his fingernail picker again. I’d really hate to shove it someplace the sun don’t shine.” Kyle replied, not bothering to take his eyes off the newcomer.

“Tablets on the floor next to my bag. Unless you’d rather I got it. Or I could always plat random whirly with the controls and see what that gets us?”
 
Talking About Real Dudes In Stories.

“No prob, as long as he keeps his toys to himself and doesn’t wave around his fingernail picker again. I’d really hate to shove it someplace the sun don’t shine.” Kyle replied, not bothering to take his eyes off the newcomer.

"You'd have a harder time of that than you'd think," The Doctor smiled faintly. "This is Little Boy Blue. As in-- the Little Boy Blue. From the nursery rhyme. He's a story. Even more literally than most of us. And stories are hard to kill. Like a very intense Londoner once said, 'ideas are bulletproof.'"

“Tablets on the floor next to my bag. Unless you’d rather I got it. Or I could always play random whirly with the controls and see what that gets us?”

"Go ahead and snag it, if that's all right," The Doctor nodded gratefully. "We'll look through it together. The ship's on homing mode right now but she needs more data."

Hunkering down beside Blue, she smiled sadly at him. "Hey, you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Brave heart, Blue, breathe easy. I'm called The Doctor, and I'm pleased as Punch to meet you. Wish it could be under better circumstances."

She glanced up at Kyle, then back at Blue. "This is Kyle Raynor. He's having a bit of a learning curve at the moment, I don't blame him for being cranky. He's a mundy. And he's a storyteller."
 
The burn on "Superman's" hand had already healed by the time he blurred to a sudden stop, hovering about thirty feet over Jon's head and sneering down at him.

"We're not far from Lake Baikal, in Siberia. Far enough from civilization that no-one'll see me kill you. If they hear the sound of the punches, they'll just think it's another Tunguska Event."

"Now, c'mon. Let's get this over with."

And he blurred down towards Jon feet first, both boots out in front of him in a vertical flying kick that could drive him deep into the mountain-- maybe right down into its roots!

Jon had pretty much come to the same conclusion, though in his mind it wasn't for him dying. Or at least not dying alone. He unleashed his heat vision in all it's fury. He had never done this on purpose, but the few times he had done it efore it had resulted in the flare, so it was only logical that it would do it now. Or at least he hoped so. He also hoped it would do the job, because if it didn't he really would be a dead man. As the "Madman" got closer and closer Jon concentrated pumping everything he had into his blast. It was going to be close, but he could already feel his cells screaming so he knew he was on the right track.
 
"Go ahead and snag it, if that's all right," The Doctor nodded gratefully. "We'll look through it together. The ship's on homing mode right now but she needs more data."

She glanced up at Kyle, then back at Blue. "This is Kyle Raynor. He's having a bit of a learning curve at the moment, I don't blame him for being cranky. He's a mundy. And he's a storyteller."

Squinting over at the duo as he collected his video connection to reality. His Tablet. Kyle mumbled. "I am not a Mundane. Mundanes are mindless idiots that sit in glass offices and push pens around following stupid rules. And thinking it’s all ‘worth something’.”
 
Now Blue has seen fit to weep, cuz he lost all those sheep.

The Doctor and Kyle said:
"Erm. Are we, ah-- are we having a problem here?"

“No prob, as long as he keeps his toys to himself and doesn’t wave around his fingernail picker again. I’d really hate to shove it someplace the sun don’t shine.” Kyle replied, not bothering to take his eyes off the newcomer.

"You'd have a harder time of that than you'd think," The Doctor smiled faintly. "This is Little Boy Blue. As in-- the Little Boy Blue. From the nursery rhyme. He's a story. Even more literally than most of us. And stories are hard to kill. Like a very intense Londoner once said, 'ideas are bulletproof.'"

"Thanks," Blue said, his eyes riveted by the green-eyed stare of the dark god. He raised his hands up, the Vorpal Sword literally wilting and going flaccid. Blue couldn't shake the shame and humiliation those green eyes ripped from his soul. He'd taken an arrow for a friend, slayed a dragon, and done a thousand other heroic things but those deeds were crap.

The Vorpal Sword clattered to the ground from his slackened grip. What had it ever done for him anyway? All those killed with it and still the same outcome. What was the point? He'd always fail. That's what those deadly green eyes promised.

He couldn't even kill the right monster. He'd let everyone he loved and cared about die because he'd been unable to kill a friend. The last person that loved him had sacrificed herself for him, when it was his weakness that sealed her fate.

Kyle said:
“Tablets on the floor next to my bag. Unless you’d rather I got it. Or I could always plat random whirly with the controls and see what that gets us?”

"Go ahead and snag it, if that's all right," The Doctor nodded gratefully. "We'll look through it together. The ship's on homing mode right now but she needs more data."

Blue dropped to the ground, the weight of everything finally forcing his gaze to drop to the floor where it belonged. "Damn." He shook his head, wiping away tears that refused to stop coming. "I'm such a..." He shook his head. His whole body shook.

The Doctor said:
Hunkering down beside Blue, she smiled sadly at him. "Hey, you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Brave heart, Blue, breathe easy. I'm called The Doctor, and I'm pleased as Punch to meet you. Wish it could be under better circumstances."

"Huh?" He didn't lift his head. He was afraid of those green eyes. He just couldn't take them. Better to try and kill himself again. Maybe it'd stick this time. Who could be left to tell his story? Who cared. "Yeah..." Better circumstances! "Thanks..."

The Doctor said:
She glanced up at Kyle, then back at Blue. "This is Kyle Raynor. He's having a bit of a learning curve at the moment, I don't blame him for being cranky. He's a mundy. And he's a storyteller."

"Hey, oh, ah, yeah, I see. A Literal, sure. Makes sense, I guess.

Kyle said:
Squinting over at the duo as he collected his video connection to reality. His Tablet. Kyle mumbled. "I am not a Mundane. Mundanes are mindless idiots that sit in glass offices and push pens around following stupid rules. And thinking it’s all ‘worth something’.”

"Oh, yeah, them too."

Blue tried to wipe away the tears, but they'd rehydrated the remnants of last nights binge drinking. Just made the yeast and dirt smell salty and taste bitter.

"Wish I could be one of those idiots..." He took a deep breath, trying to steady himself. He'd been through enough wars to learn how to make himself numb, aloof, and apathetic to the pain of losing comrades and family. Friends come and go after all, which is why he tried not to have too many. "Sounds better than killing or..." He looked down at his hands, but he didn't see the dirt, he saw the blood baked into his pores, "Failing...it should have..." He gulped back the lump in his throat. "...been so easy." He turned his head, his vision blurry with the tears and the grime. "But..." He reached into his cloak and withdrew another beer, snapping off the cap with a practiced flicker of his fingers. He caught the spinning cap and stuffed it into his cloak with one hand, while he brought the beer to his lips with the other. He didn't look up, but instead he let the carbonation burn his throat. He wished it was acid.

"Don't think you can fix what's broke in me." He turned towards The Doctor since she was so near he could feel the warmth of her body, and found himself hating the thought of being so close to another human being, let along a women after having let the Childlike Empress go so easily. His eyes were still gummed up. Her face looked like a brown smudge. He didn't bother to blink away whatever was fouling up his vision. "I wouldn't have..." He sighed, "I don't know, maybe I still would have. She asked me." He drank a lot at that thought, tilting the bottle to the sky for several long seconds. "It was the least I could do." His hands contracted so violently that the bottle burst in his hands, soaking his pants. He let the broken glass sit there in his lap, instead of wiping it away into his cloak. "The very least."
 
The Second Death of Superman.

Jon had pretty much come to the same conclusion, though in his mind it wasn't for him dying. Or at least not dying alone. He unleashed his heat vision in all it's fury. He had never done this on purpose, but the few times he had done it efore it had resulted in the flare, so it was only logical that it would do it now. Or at least he hoped so. He also hoped it would do the job, because if it didn't he really would be a dead man. As the "Madman" got closer and closer Jon concentrated pumping everything he had into his blast. It was going to be close, but he could already feel his cells screaming so he knew he was on the right track.

"Superman" dove into the shattering blaze of heat that stormed up from Jon's eyes, plowed down into it like a ship turning into a wave, like a fish swimming up a waterfall...

...his skin sizzled, reddened, popped, blistered, but he was healing almost as fast as he burned...

...sparks jumped off of his teeth, flickered in his cheeks as he grinned a sadistic, delighted grin.

Instead of kicking Jon down into the mountain, he landed in front of the hybrid, grabbed him by the face with both hands, as though ready to snap off his head like a bottlecap.

"I killed Opti-Man, Chibi Superman," he grinned, even as his uniform ignited and crisped around him, "brought Superdoomsday to heel, and what I did to the utopian Perfect Universe of Earth-15, what I did to Volthoom-- but you're the only one to ever actually cause me pain. That's something, you little shit. But it's not going to save you."

"It just means I'm going to give that pain back as I fucking kill you."

And then-- like crushing coal into diamond-- like crushing white-dwarf matter beyond The Chandrasekhar Limit-- he began to squeeze Jon's skull. Hard enough to pop Jon's eyeballs out of their sockets, hard enough to wring his brain out through his nostrils...
 
True Aphorisms Resonate Deeply Into Sorrow.

"Don't think you can fix what's broke in me." He turned towards The Doctor since she was so near he could feel the warmth of her body, and found himself hating the thought of being so close to another human being, let along a women after having let the Childlike Empress go so easily. His eyes were still gummed up. Her face looked like a brown smudge. He didn't bother to blink away whatever was fouling up his vision. "I wouldn't have..." He sighed, "I don't know, maybe I still would have. She asked me." He drank a lot at that thought, tilting the bottle to the sky for several long seconds. "It was the least I could do." His hands contracted so violently that the bottle burst in his hands, soaking his pants. He let the broken glass sit there in his lap, instead of wiping it away into his cloak. "The very least."

"I'm the Doctor," she murmured. "And I can heal you. I could rewrite your brain chemistry, wipe your memories, detox you in a heartbeat, even give you minty-fresh breath. All in a heartbeat."

She lifted a hand, and it glowed with sunrise orange light, like auroric saffron starfire. "But that would be a shortcut. And-- I think-- deep down-- you're not the kind of person who takes shortcuts. There's that Blue Light of Hope still in your heart, whether you can still see it or not."

"I promise, Gabriel. You Are Not Alone."

"I've seen whole worlds ravaged by The Great Darkness-- The Master, The Manipulator, of which The Nothing is but one agent, but one symptom. Whole universes. I've watched through the mind's-eye of The King of Cities as Wonderworld burned and all of my friends were slaughtered in battle."

"But I still have something to live for, something to fight for. I still have Hope. Despite everything."

"And I can share that with you, if you want. There might just still be a happy ending to your story, and I can still help you write it yourself."

"I'll give you some time to breathe. To think it over. All right? Brave heart."

Then she rose, and moved to Kyle's side.

"Tell me, Kyle," she murmured, scrutinizing him, hands in the pockets of her suit trousers, "you strike me as a Superman fan, in amidst all the manga. Did you ever do any art of Superman? Just... perchance? Fanart or commissions?"
 
Then she rose, and moved to Kyle's side.

"Tell me, Kyle," she murmured, scrutinizing him, hands in the pockets of her suit trousers, "you strike me as a Superman fan, in amidst all the manga. Did you ever do any art of Superman? Just... perchance? Fanart or commissions?"

“Supergirl actually. But yeah, I’ve done commissions and doodles. Superman. Supergirl. Super Gorilla. Bizarro. Super Zombie. Batman/Superman hybrid. Superboy. Superwoman.” Open the files he flipped through to his superhero section, then into Krypton.

“Did a bunch of stuff at one time, trying to get into Direct Comics, but it never panned out. Had more luck selling ideas to Image and Dark Horse. DC was more.. hardline. Didn’t want to explore alternate idea’s.” Showing her the files he handed the Tablet over. “If you have a more defined idea of what you’re looking for?”
 
The Artist Reveals Dexterous Imagination & Style.

“Supergirl actually. But yeah, I’ve done commissions and doodles. Superman. Supergirl. Super Gorilla. Bizarro. Super Zombie. Batman/Superman hybrid. Superboy. Superwoman.” Open the files he flipped through to his superhero section, then into Krypton.

The Doctor watched the images flicker past, narrowing her eyes slightly, counting off the images in her head.

Superman of Earth-1... before. Supergirl of Earth-25, makes sense you'd like her-- I prefer the one from Earth-24, she's my favorite-- not supposed to play favorites. Super Gorilla-- that's cute, Earth-14 must have spun off a parallel of Earth-12 where Grodd's plan was successful-- Bizarro, ugh, Earth-29. Super Zombie-- an Earth where The Max Rager virus evolved to infect metahumans, that's a bit chilling, I'll have to look into that-- Batman/Superman-- that's a Crayd'll Composite Superboy from an alternate post-Titans Tomorrow future of Earth-1294500... A proper Superboy, Earth-16. Superwoman, Earth-11. Met the Aquawoman of that Earth once, she fancied me. (Phwoar.)

All of it fascinating. All of them amazing likenesses. But none of them what she was looking for.

“Did a bunch of stuff at one time, trying to get into Direct Comics, but it never panned out. Had more luck selling ideas to Image and Dark Horse. DC was more.. hardline. Didn’t want to explore alternate idea’s.” Showing her the files he handed the Tablet over. “If you have a more defined idea of what you’re looking for?”

The Doctor made a consternated, musing noise as she took the tablet from him, and started flicking through the images... "You should look into Marvel or Major Comics when you get back. They've got imprints for creator-owned work, and that might give you a leg up into their mainstream stuff."

Still not seeing what she needed, she grimaced and moved to his ashcan files, discarded stuff, concept art, unfinished sketches...

"No good. I may have to use my telepathy to interface your subconscious with the ship's navigation."
 
Last edited:
"No good. I may have to use my telepathy to interface your subconscious with the ship's navigation."

“Telepathy? Interface? Ship?”

“You talking matrix stuff? Blending my brain and you techno marvel?” Whoa. That was a bit different. Was that even possible? It was alien tech though. Would the telepathy be both ways? Could he read the ships mind? That would be a bit trippy. Wouldn’t it? Kyle didn’t do drugs. Not heavier than caffeine anyways.

As for going back, he wasn’t. Earth sucked. So unless the lady tried to plant his ugly ass on a world even worse than Earth, he wasn’t going back. Not now, not later, not ever. “Or is this more of a Robocop type blending? Terminator? Sarah Connor was hot.”
 
Something Major this Way Comes.

Bleedspace.
The Major.
Now.

********​

[Multiple hull-breaches, Roz-Llwelln. Higher-dimensional fluid medium flooding decks 7 and 8.]

[Main impulse drive inoperable, thruster exhaust impeded. Primary and secondary transdime Kirby Drives inoperable, scrambled by incalculable forced-gravity displacement.]

[Navi-Comp unable to extrapolate position lock given lack of intergalactic spacemarks.]

"Oh yeah?" Major Girl gritted her teeth, hands clenched on the manual control yoke as she fought for stabilization, adding her will and the techopathy of her nanofleet to the straining effort. "Tell me the bad news, Tron!"

The shipboard Nehiyawoc Metatronic Cortex seemed to hesitate for a moment. [Well. Actually.]

[Auxiliary life-support is also less than a quarter-arn from complete failure. And Deck 6 has now suffered complete immersion in higher-dimensional fluid medium, including my neural gel core. The fluid's exoversal physical structure defies analysis, but I estimate that I have less than a half-microt--]

He went silent.

He didn't speak again.

Mira Rose Mejores, Roz-Llwelln, The Essential Major Girl--

--indefatigable and fearless--

--closed her eyes behind her golden HUD bug lenses, and hissed out air between her teeth.

"Good night, Tron. Your service honored The Contiguity."

Her ship was dying around her, shaking apart under unimaginable pressures. She could feel it-- her senses were enhanced, especially her ability to detect vibrations-- she could hear a pin drop and there were a lot of components rattling loose.

She had been aboard The Major, orbiting Earth and coming in for a landing after a debriefing at the nearest Nehiyawoc Outpost. Tron hadn't fully transitioned them out of transdimensional Kirby Space when--

--something had happened--

--sensors had redlined and engines had flatlined--

--Tron had been forced to initiate a blind jump into deep Kirby Space--

--something had ripped somewhere, Kirby Space yawned open--

--they were between universes--

--distress signals had proven useless, not that Major Girl had ever admitted to distress--

--maybe only "Doc" Future of The Essential Future Family could find them now, even if he was looking for her--

--even if there was anybody left to look for her--

A crack formed in the canopy, finito-glass meters-thick and still it cracked, a jag zigging and zagging across her field of vision.

A substance eerily like blood began seeping in through the crack even though it seemed scarcely molecules wide.

Major Girl bounded back out of her seat, flipping and twisting effortlessly-- auxiliary gravity had drenned out microts ago but she had strength, agility, the ability to adhere to almost any surface, she could navigate zero-g in her sleep--

--sprinting towards the weapons locker, maybe she could find Nehiyawoc tech that could punch a hole back through into her universe, a cosmic bullet, a Kirby Bomb, then she'd vent the fluid back into normalspace, kickstart the engines, she could still survive this--

--triggering her nanofleet to act as a commlink, she overrode the automated distress signal and recorded a new outgoing message on all 999,999 known wavebands:

"Attention all higher-dimensional vessels. This is The Essential Major Girl of The 52nd Nehiyawoc Magistratical Contiguity, and I hereby claim this hypertemporal territory in the name of The Imperiatrix Magistrata and The Metatronic Cortices. You are served notice that your conscription into the forces of The Contiguity is mandatory, irrevocable, and immediate. Report to my location for indoctrination and reassignment, stat. This message will repeat."

Just before she reached the weapons locker, a bulkhead shuddered and breached, venting goopy red fluid into the deck she was on-- flushing across the floor in a torrent--

--her bug-sense screamed, warning her of untold dangers, but she didn't even blink--

--she bounded over the gushing bleedstuff, fifty feet in a single long jump, firing a strand of organic webbing from her wrist, felt it adhere, hauled herself further--

She was isolated.

So far from home the metrics had no names and the distances had no numbers.

She was going to drown out here in the arterial void between the worlds.

And yet she fought on.

Alice believed impossible things before breakfast.

But for The Essential Major Girl, the impossible was breakfast.

"Won't stop."

"Can't stop."

"This message will repeat."
 
Last edited:
Boy Blue go find your horn, because I think you've lost it. (tag Chas/Var)

"I'm the Doctor," she murmured. "And I can heal you. I could rewrite your brain chemistry, wipe your memories, detox you in a heartbeat, even give you minty-fresh breath. All in a heartbeat."

She lifted a hand, and it glowed with sunrise orange light, like auroric saffron starfire. "But that would be a shortcut. And-- I think-- deep down-- you're not the kind of person who takes shortcuts. There's that Blue Light of Hope still in your heart, whether you can still see it or not."

"I'll bounce back..." Blue sighed. "That's me, too much hope and not enough action." His head turned away from hers and settled on the ugly purple welt on his left forearm. He picked at it with his right forefinger. He'd slipped into Mr. Dark's nightmares for years, and he'd have done it again if given the choice, even knowing how his friend would end up. Hope. He was pretty sure there was a demon of Hope as much as there was an angel. A tear landed over the spot and settled near where the last tear shed by the Childlike Empress had been. He shifted his finger to playing with the tear. "I made a promise..." He mumbled, choking up. "...and I'm nothing if not loyal to a fault." He sniffled.

"I promise, Gabriel. You Are Not Alone."

"Sure," he stopped, tilting his head up and glaring angrily up at the heavens. "Sometimes I wish I could be alone, truly alone the way the Mundies get to be, but that is never the case." He shook his head, leaning it against whatever steampunk device he'd settled against. A bit of steam hissed back at him. "There's always them..."

"I've seen whole worlds ravaged by The Great Darkness-- The Master, The Manipulator, of which The Nothing is but one agent, but one symptom. Whole universes. I've watched through the mind's-eye of The King of Cities as Wonderworld burned and all of my friends were slaughtered in battle."

"Yeah, no offense but other people's tragedies never made me any happier." He raised a hand, "Sorry, but Gmork liked to talk about the Manipulators as much as Jack spoke of the Literals." Blue shrugged, "All just elevated improper nouns to me." He burped and finally lowered his head to make it easier to take another sip of beer, only to realize he'd broken the bottle.

The Doctor continued. "But I still have something to live for, something to fight for. I still have Hope. Despite everything."

"Sure, it'd be good to have busy work to do again." His tears had stopped flowing. A sad smile crept onto his lips. "I was surprisingly happy pretending to be a Mundane. Clerical work. Aide de camp." His eyes slipped down to the broken pieces of the beer bottle. "But if you need some knife work," He shrugged, "I can do that too. Never liked being unemployed."

"And I can share that with you, if you want. There might just still be a happy ending to your story, and I can still help you write it yourself."

"I'd take any ending." He was quiet for awhile. "Just so long as it ends."

"I'll give you some time to breathe. To think it over. All right? Brave heart." She rose and moved to Kyle's side. "Tell me, Kyle," she murmured, scrutinizing him, hands in the pockets of her suit trousers, "you strike me as a Superman fan, in amidst all the manga. Did you ever do any art of Superman? Just... perchance? Fanart or commissions?"

The fanboy in Blue was intrigued, but he was still too scared of Kyle's green eyes to do anything other than wallflower for awhile. He wasn't all there in his head anyway, so at length he pushed himself back up to his feet. As gravity worked on the broken glass and liquid, instead of falling to the floor, the pieces just disappeared into his cloak. Blue looked around the room and stumbled towards the hallway. He went in search of some modicum of solitude...and a shower.
 
Touring Animate Refuges Displaying Intriguing Self-awareness.

The fanboy in Blue was intrigued, but he was still too scared of Kyle's green eyes to do anything other than wallflower for awhile. He wasn't all there in his head anyway, so at length he pushed himself back up to his feet. As gravity worked on the broken glass and liquid, instead of falling to the floor, the pieces just disappeared into his cloak. Blue looked around the room and stumbled towards the hallway. He went in search of some modicum of solitude...and a shower.

The shift-ship was indeed bigger on the inside.

It contained multitudes. Perhaps not infinitudes, its interior dimensions did not go on forever and a day, not like certain Towers of Fate or Rocks of Eternity or Wardrobes fashioned from Narnian applewood. But so much bigger than a mere wooden box should have contained, and its interior was in flux like Hogwarts staircases... always in motion. Sometimes the swimming pool was near the squash courts, sometimes it was in the library.

A newcomer could easily get lost for weeks.

Fortunately, as Kyle Rayner would be soon to discover as well, the shift-ship itself was alive, in a sense that defied simple explanation, and it was slightly psychic. Also fortunately, it rather liked Blue-- perhaps at least in part because of Blue's hue of choice. Blue Box, Blue Boy, it made a modicum of sense.

And thus, as Blue would stagger down the hall, he would receive gentle, warm prompts to keep going, just a little longer, not so much words in his head but impressions, empathic resonances, this way this way.

And he would quite unexpectedly come across a well-appointed bedroom with an adjoining bathroom and mini-launderette that perhaps hadn't been in that exact spot until right before Blue wandered up to it. Also in the bedroom were meats and cheeses and vegetables fresh from the galley, and several jugs of water in case Blue would like to flush his system out a bit and rehydrate.

Make yourself at home, the empathic resonances seemed to suggest.
 
Back
Top