What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

The previous thread went over 5,000 posts, so here's a new thread for our culinary explorations.

We're having salmon and lemon risotto today.

That sounds so yummy!

We are having dinner elsewhere and lunch was a great salad with prosciutto, pesto and mozarella and some stolen pieces of wonderful pizza from my husbands plate.
We expected to get something more meh, considering the location and the price range, so it was a nice surprise.

Lemon risotto is one of my all time favourites. Its something that I try to keep the makings of I stock as it can be pulled out of a hat if needed and it works any time of year.

Food here was sort of Italian too......I just grabbed two peppers and ate them like apples. :)

Haha! That's the way to do it! :)

Lemon, nom, ditto!

Recipe please! :D

I think you're better off searching for a recipe than asking me. :)

My recipe is "make risotto, but add more lemon juice and lemon zest".

The trick is to use the right kind of rice for risotto, add the warm liquid gradually and stir, stir, stir, although I've heard of people succesfully making risotto without the constant stirring, too. I don't think it's that hard to make, but I have sometimes managed to stodge it up by having the heat too high.

I wouldn't serve risotto to guests, though. I've gotten very self conscious about it after watching MasterChef Australia, where risotto is called The Death Dish. :D

It's like me and souffles all over again. I was happy to make and serve souffles to people until I heard they're very difficult to make. Then my nerves got the better of me. :rolleyes:

I never have the nerve to try making risotto. For some reason I have it in my head that it's tricky. :confused:

Lemon sounds good. Nom.

I like making risotto.
It's just me and my glass of wine and the risotto and it's pot of broth.
I get a sip of wine and the risotto gets a sip of broth and an occasional sip of wine if it gets to hot.
The right kind of rice is essential though.

I think you're better off searching for a recipe than asking me. :)

My recipe is "make risotto, but add more lemon juice and lemon zest".

The trick is to use the right kind of rice for risotto, add the warm liquid gradually and stir, stir, stir, although I've heard of people succesfully making risotto without the constant stirring, too. I don't think it's that hard to make, but I have sometimes managed to stodge it up by having the heat too high.

I wouldn't serve risotto to guests, though. I've gotten very self conscious about it after watching MasterChef Australia, where risotto is called The Death Dish. :D

It's like me and souffles all over again. I was happy to make and serve souffles to people until I heard they're very difficult to make. Then my nerves got the better of me. :rolleyes:

I have made risotto for guests but just the kind that I can tell to sit at the table and wait for the food to be ready instead of doing it the other way around. You know the kind of guest where you don't have to be all hostess.

Making it for too many people requires too much compromise though, I think.
Then I'll rather make something else.

Last edited:
I like making risotto.
It's just me and my glass of wine and the risotto and it's pot of broth.
I get a sip of wine and the risotto gets a sip of broth and an occasional sip of wine if it gets to hot.
The right kind of rice is essential though.

You make it sound so very appealing. Soothing. :cattail:

< If you feel like being very indulgent and cheesy I like sometimes to tear a good Mozzarella In to it, so that as you plunge your fork into the silken self saucing grains, you get random bits of melted cheese with strings pulling, not so long like pizza, because the pieces are small....but its the texture of melt and silken almost like a kiss in the mouth. >

And this makes it sound so....decadent!

Between the two, I think I'm going to have to "brave up" and try making risotto. :)

Asian inspired soup.
Inspired, because as I get closer and closer to packing this place up, I try to use up all my food and not buy any more. It gets tricky, and more and more soups and casseroles appear on the menu :D

A small amount of chicken stock to which I added water, onion and ginger and boiled for a bit, added carrot, celery and roasted noodles, and then sweet peppers, green onion and cooked chicken at varied times so as not to over cook.
Finished with miso and a splash of sesame oil. Turned out delicious!

tumblr_o32ivwrMNZ1ttoj3bo1_400.jpg

Annnnnnd plated with crutons and fresh cracked pepper.

It's huge. I may downsize next time to pints instead of quarts.

Attachments

• IMG_20160224_121615_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160224_121615_edit.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
It looks awesome! I'm always real picky about the freshness of my salads. This is encouraging...

I am too. That is part of why I'm so late to the party. I'm finding the key is keeping the greens on top, we'll away from any moisture.

I thought you'd eat it from the jar :eek: and was thinking how good it was to have treasure at the bottom. It looks great plated too , but I feel silly for thinking it would be in the jar. :D

If I had done them in pint jars I probably would have just eaten it from the jar. But being in quarts, my forks aren't long enough. Also, this batch of dressing turned out very thick and I doubt it would have distributed well without having been plated.

The talk of mason jar salads prompted me to post mason jar instant noodle bowls from the Nourishing Gourmet. I haven't tried them yet, but they are on my list. Basically you prep all the ingredients in a small mason jar and then add hot broth to serve. They have even have paleo (kelp noodles) and grain free (mung bean threads) options if you are into that kind of thing,

They look quite tasty. :)

The talk of mason jar salads prompted me to post mason jar instant noodle bowls from the Nourishing Gourmet. I haven't tried them yet, but they are on my list. Basically you prep all the ingredients in a small mason jar and then add hot broth to serve. They have even have paleo (kelp noodles) and grain free (mung bean threads) options if you are into that kind of thing,

They look quite tasty. :)

Some form of those noodles are going on my list..! Yum!

Food might make me a little too happy. I stopped at the Columbian bakery and was so excited to see a single one of these left. I tried describing this before and could not figure it out. When I asked what it is called I was told Tarta de almendras. It's just an almond tart. 0_o;; But I haven't found anything like it, so it seems unique.

So pretty meek me!

Edit:

We are having the British classic ' sausage sandwich' for supper. Because G made a beautiful loaf of bread and we have sausages that I could defrost quickly and after another too long time in the car I do not want to cook.

Sausages here too.

Ratatouille with chevré and chorizo.

Back