I like Ships too



Of course it's "real." What would make you think otherwise?




that's the point. i didn't think otherwise, but it was such a surprising picture i wished to express my sense of incredulity. text is deaf. *le sigh*
 
Last year I rode from Baltimore to England on this:

CargoShip[1].jpg


Another freighter traveller:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=194819206


 


izLzzzk58RWQ.jpg

Eddie Seal/Bloomberg​
A diesel tanker leaves the Port of Corpus Christi, Texas





Gasoline Tankers Beating Crude for First Time on Record
By Isaac Arnsdorf
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...g-crude-for-first-time-on-record-freight.html

...Rates for VLCCs carrying 2 million barrels of crude, or about 260,000 tons, went negative in February, March and April, implying that owners paid clients to hire their ships. The charterers still pay for some of the fuel, cutting costs for owners moving vessels into regions with better returns...
 
800px-Balder_Viking_by_Transocean_Arctic-635x476.jpg


Lundin Petroleum announced today that they have spudded in at the Gohta Prospect located approximately 150 km northwest of the northern tip of Norway in the Barents Sea.
 
West-Auriga-web-635x442.jpeg


Seadrill has announced today that it has signed contracts to build four new ultra-deepwater drillships from South Korean yards, DSME and Samsung Heavy Industries with expected deliveries in the second half of 2015. Each yard will build two rigs at a project cost at or below USD $600 million.

Story
 
The Royal Navy Bomb Disposal Unit are on our beach this afternoon.

I don't know whether it is for a specific threat, but there is so much ordnance left over from WW1 and 2 within a few miles of the shore, that any metal object has to be suspect.

Washed ashore, we have had mines, torpedoes and artillery shells. Any one could ruin your day.

Edited to add: It was a WW2 German Aerial Mine. Another one with about 500 kilos of explosive.

It had been fouled by the nets of a local commercial inshore fisherman. He realised what it was. It wasn't his first one. He dragged it (on a very, very long line) to an area as far as possible from any shipping lanes and called Bomb Disposal - again.

Because he had put it in a safe location they were able to detonate it with a controlled explosion - a most satisfactory bang.

But the fisherman has lost another load of fishing gear. His language was...





...fishermanlike. Salty.:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Training ship runs aground

Twenty-three teenagers and seven adult crew members have been rescued after a tall ship struck rocks off the Irish coast.

The Astrid, which takes groups of aspiring sailors on training voyages around the world, lost power in its engine, leaving the crew helpless to save it from being tossed onto the rocky shoreline.

Lifeboats scrambled from across Co Cork and arrived within 30 minutes to help rescue the 23 teenagers and seven crew.

Two Irish Coast Guard helicopters were also deployed to the scene in response to the mayday call.


http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ireland-tall-ship-sinks-hitting-rocks-235616598.html#bLZwNFz

9365755-1-1-640x380.jpg
 
Twenty-three teenagers and seven adult crew members have been rescued after a tall ship struck rocks off the Irish coast.

The Astrid, which takes groups of aspiring sailors on training voyages around the world, lost power in its engine, leaving the crew helpless to save it from being tossed onto the rocky shoreline.

Lifeboats scrambled from across Co Cork and arrived within 30 minutes to help rescue the 23 teenagers and seven crew.

Two Irish Coast Guard helicopters were also deployed to the scene in response to the mayday call.


http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ireland-tall-ship-sinks-hitting-rocks-235616598.html#bLZwNFz

9365755-1-1-640x380.jpg

thats a shame to see,cant be many tall ships around these days.I used to live around coast of cornwall,so many ships have hit the rocks arond there
 



Shell's Olympus platform on the way to its installation at the Gulf of Mexico's Mars field
(to get a sense of how ginormous this thing is, compare it to the fleet of six [6] visible anchor
handling/tugboats that are providing the motive power).


9301896874_41f46fc958_c.jpg




 
DYNAGAS has just taken delivery of two new ice-class liquefied natural gas carriers built by South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries. The 155,000 cu m vessels, Arctic Aurora and Yenisei River, have the ability to cope with the harsh operating conditions of the Arctic and other cold environments.

Propulsion for the ships is provided by a duel-fuel diesel generator engine system. Registered in the Marshall Islands, the ships will operate on charter to Gazprom and Statoil.
 
article-2379972-1B01CC78000005DC-614_634x647.jpg


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-coast.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490


Can 1918 tallship be saved? Hope fades for the future of boat wrecked on the rocks after losing power and drifting to the shore line

By Abigail Frymann

PUBLISHED: 10:24, 27 July 2013 | UPDATED: 14:56, 27 July 2013

Experts are to determine whether a 95-year-old tall ship that ran aground and sank off the south coast of Ireland on Wednesday can be salvaged or whether its travelling days are finally over.

The Astrid hit rocks off the Sovereign islands minutes from the safety of Kinsale harbour in Co Cork as it attempted to navigate the harbour's western entrance.

All 30 people on board - 23 young trainee sailors and the other more experienced crew - had to be rescued.

The ship, which takes groups of aspiring sailors on training voyages around the world, lost power in its engine, leaving the crew helpless to save it from being tossed onto the rocky shoreline.

Now it is almost totally submerged at high tide, but it remains largely intact after being wedged on to rocks. Salvage experts will have to work out how much it would cost to carry out the huge number of repairs that would be needed to make it seaworthy again.

It is feared that Wednesday's drama could be the final chapter in the Astrid's long and colourful history.

Divers and insurers are working out how much the Astrid would cost to repair.

The Astrid had a colourful 95-year history that included almost six decades working as a cargo ship, possibly being used to smuggle drugs and being restored being gutted in a major fire and abandoned

Built in the Netherlands in 1918 as a cargo ship, the vessel was transferred into Swedish ownership and worked Baltic sea trade routes until 1975.

After another sale the ship was alleged to have fallen into the hands of drug-smugglers.

She was found abandoned and burnt to a shell off the coast of England in the early 1980s. A salvage operation saved her then and she was transformed into a training vessel for young people.

A Dutch couple, Pieter and Ineke de Kam, bought the ship around seven years ago.

The Astrid was one of 50 vessels taking part in a flotilla-style five mile journey from Oysterhaven to Kinsale as part of Ireland's 2013 Gathering initiative - a tourism bid to encourage the Irish diaspora to return to their homeland on holiday.

The trainees onboard the Astrid came from Ireland, England, the Netherlands, Spain, France and Belgium.

One of the young sailors, Daragh Comiskey, 17, from Co Wexford, said emergency training helped them keep calm as they waited for help.

Lifeboats scrambled from across Co Cork arrived within 30 minutes. Eighteen of the crew were rescued and taken back to Kinsale harbour in another vessel taking part in the event - the Spirit of Oysterhaven - with the remainder ferried to land in an RNLI lifeboat. Two Irish Coastguard helicopters and three other lifeboats were also deployed to the scene in response to the mayday call.

'It was very rough when we hit the rocks,' said Daragh. Conditions at sea were said to be poor with winds of force 5/6.

'There were a few attempts to get the ship back off them but that wasn't going to work. I only realised the ship was in real trouble when the life jackets started getting handed out.'

Despite the drama, Daragh said people on board the ship, which was being captained by Pieter de Kam, 62, remained calm.

'Everyone knew what to do, we were all trained. We just listened to instructions. 'Everyone got back safely, which is what matters,' said Daragh.

As the Astrid started to sink around 12pm, the crew assembled on deck to await rescue.

RNLI crew reported that some of those rescued were in a very shocked state. Crew members were medically assessed at Kinsale Yacht Club but none required hospital treatment.

Ineke de Kam said she was relieved the crew and the trainees were safe but referring to the boat, she added: 'Everything is lost. We cannot believe it.

'[Pieter] was using the small motor and it would not start and then he put all the sails up but it was too late, he was on the rocks. Then he called the Coastguard and they arrived in time to help and everyone is safe.
As she was, the Astrid in 2010. Ineke de Kam, who owned the boat with her husband Pieter, said she was relieved everyone was safe but added 'Everything is lost'

As she was, the Astrid in 2010. Ineke de Kam, who owned the boat with her husband Pieter, said she was relieved everyone was safe but added 'Everything is lost'

'I was so shook up when I heard - I could not believe it. There is so much to do in Ireland - I do not know when he will be home. I am just glad he is okay and that he was able to call me.'

The trip to Ireland was the first expedition Mrs de Kam had not accompanied her husband. She said he was an experienced sailor.

Vincent O'Donovan from the RNLI said a major rescue operation had to be launched.

'It was very dramatic,' he said.

'It happened very quickly, thanks be to God the rescue was successful.

'That is a very rocky part of the coastline, there is a famous old ship wreck that lies in that area, it is a place inaccessible by land.

'It was very hairy, anything could have gone wrong, if the life rafts were blown onto the rocks it could have been very serious.'
 


The advances in naval architecture are unmistakable. The benefits of tank-testing and computer
simulation are easily seen in today's hull shapes and designs.



iLkPJ33fLbHA.jpg





 


The artist, Geoff Hunt, provided the cover illustrations for most of Patrick O'Brian's
Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin Nelsonian Navy novels.


I remember being told as a small child that the first thing one should use as a gauge
of a marine artist's talent was their ability to reproduce the water. That was the first
thing that caught my eye when I saw Geoff Hunt's work. The man has got it (in spades)—
and his success/prices reflect it.

This piece is titled "Captain Aubrey's Commands."




Frigates+by+Geoff+Hunt.jpg

HMS Leopard..................HMS Surprise....................HMS Bellona................................ HMS Sophie


 
Chinese cargo ship sets sail for Arctic short-cut

" A Chinese cargo ship is attempting the country's first ever commercial transit of the Northeast Passage above Russia, as global warming opens a short-cut that promises to reduce shipping times between China and Europe.

The Yong Sheng, a 19,000-ton vessel operated by state-owned Cosco Group, set sail on August 8 from Dalian, a port in northeastern China, bound for Rotterdam. According to an announcement on Cosco's website, the journey via the Bering Strait could shave as much as 15 days off the traditional route through the Suez Canal and Mediterranean Sea. "
 
Back
Top