Sticky: 2013 Survivor Rules and Registration Thread

Do moderators have to read every text story submitted for the Survivor contest to make sure the author placed it in the correct category? My suggestion was to allow audio submissions to be placed in the category on the scorecard into which the story fits, just as text stories are placed.

Moderators do not second guess Laurel as to the placement of stories in categories. Sometimes individual writers may complain to her about the placement, but that is between them and her.

I haven't asked Laurel about this, but I'm sure she would not be agreeable to placing a story with audible anywhere but in the Audible Story category. As I inderstand it, under this proposal, once the author had filled the Audible Story category to the first cap, he or she would then place subsequent stories in the categories on the scorecard where they would go if they were not audible. This would be the opinion of the individual author.

A moderator would probably have to read and listen to them to verify the placement was correct. Since I haven't heard from the other mods in almost a year, that would mean I would have to do the verification. This is not as hard as it might sound, because audible stories tend to be very short and the verification would usually take no more than two or three minutes. This is less time than I spend verifying that a story is not a chapter or that a story in the Novels & Novellas category meets the requirements. Veriification is not a problem to me.

No mudslinging here. Boxlicker101 brought up the specific stories and I was simply emphasizing a few details he didn't mention.

As far as the stories under 1,000 words, BOSTONFICTIONWRITER posted a series: 750-1,000 Word Mind Control Story: 5 Part Series each one under 1,000 words. I was a bit disappointed that you couldn't tighten them up to something closer to 750 words since it would have made your point so much better.

zrnko pisku very roughly translated means "grain of sand"

"Grain of sand" is from a poem written by Wislawa Szymborska who died shortly before I created the name.

Those stories were written as a parody when Boxlicker stood on his soapbox and declared that all of my stories were 750 words and were all shit.

Quit being so transparent. You obviously have another agenda which we will all see at the end of the year.

I read a poem by Osar Wilde entitled "Blow me." Maybe you should...read that particular poem.

Last edited:
A moderator would probably have to read and listen to them to verify the placement was correct. Since I haven't heard from the other mods in almost a year, that would mean I would have to do the verification. This is not as hard as it might sound, because audible stories tend to be very short and the verification would usually take no more than two or three minutes. This is less time than I spend verifying that a story is not a chapter or that a story in the Novels & Novellas category meets the requirements. Veriification is not a problem to me.

My audios usually run around 30 minutes and more and more audios are being submitted with that length, although not yet for the Survivor contest. Are you sure it wouldn't be placing an undue burden in that case?

The moderators don't have to read every text story to verify proper placement, the final category placement is set when the story is posted by the volunteer editors who place the stories. If the category is different than the writer posted it too they need to either accept that decision and score the story in the category it posted to, edit the story to more closely fit the category and resubmit the edit or contact Laurel and discuss the placement.

Category changes do happen, for instance I once had a story with some graphic sexual content posted in non-erotic. It got slammed on the scores because it was clearly erotic. I submitted an edit with an explanation in the notes highlighting the sexual content and the story was moved. Unfortunately the low scores I received when the story was categorized as non-erotic stuck to the relocated story.

On the other hand there was a non-erotic story about two lesbians that posted to the lesbian category. The category title for lesbian does specify that stories in that category are to be erotic. This story was relocated to the non-erotic category.

The point is questions do arise regarding the proper category placement of stories and the final determination is decided by the volunteer editors who post the story. This would not be the case for a story posted in the audio category but scored as something else.

Now I would like to see audio stories fit to a multitude of categories but think these stories should be subject to the same category scrutiny as all other stories scored in the contest.

Perhaps if there was a recruitment drive for persons who care enough (and who have the requisite talent) to volunteer to read, and listen to, the various stories then issues such as these could be resolved without frustration to the writers.

If this is all voluntary work then I am amazed that the site has endured for so long, and has got as far as it has.

Perhaps by joining the army of volunteers for a year or two one would be doing more for the site than by writing new stories, chaptered or otherwise.

Where does one volunteer to be a reader?

This is a yes or no question.

_______Yes, allow audible stories to be posted to other categories once the Audible category is filled, as long as those stories meet all other requirements.

____X___No, keep the status quo.

The other question is also yes or no: Should the thirty point bonus continue to be offered to those who write a story in every theme contest? This bonus is in addition to the five points offered to every author who enters a story in a theme contest. Currently, authors can score sixty points for entering every theme contest.

___X____Yes. Continue as we have been doing and award a bonus of thirty points to those who enter every theme contest,

_______No. Do not have the bonus available.

_______Yes, allow audible stories to be posted to other categories once the Audible category is filled, as long as those stories meet all other requirements.

___x____No, keep the status quo.

The other question is also yes or no: Should the thirty point bonus continue to be offered to those who write a story in every theme contest? This bonus is in addition to the five points offered to every author who enters a story in a theme contest. Currently, authors can score sixty points for entering every theme contest.

____x___Yes. Continue as we have been doing and award a bonus of thirty points to those who enter every theme contest,

____x___Yes. Continue as we have been doing and award a bonus of thirty points to those who enter every theme contest,

Being that I didn't vote in the right format before, I wasn't sure if my vote would be counted.

I'm going to let wiser heads prevail in this as I am entering for the first time. While hardly a newcomer to LIT, I am to this. I am entering for fun and to broaden my horizons, anything else that comeos my way is a bonus.

Thanks to RED for the idea.

BrettJ

Author / Going to Enjoy the Experience / Sensualist

Those stories were written as a parody when Boxlicker stood on his soapbox and declared that all of my stories were 750 words and were all shit.

Quit being so transparent. You obviously have another agenda which we will all see at the end of the year.

I read a poem by Osar Wilde entitled "Blow me." Maybe you should...read that particular poem.

Parody or not they were less than 1,000 words something you claimed never to have posted at Literotica. As I said, I was disappointed you weren't able to write 750 word stories to better make your point.

My agenda is to simply keep this contest from increasing the minimum story length without a plausible reason. For the Novels, Novellas, and Novelettes category a 7500 word minimum is reasonable. Increasing the minimum word limit for chapters is not.

Perhaps if there was a recruitment drive for persons who care enough (and who have the requisite talent) to volunteer to read, and listen to, the various stories then issues such as these could be resolved without frustration to the writers.

If this is all voluntary work then I am amazed that the site has endured for so long, and has got as far as it has.

Perhaps by joining the army of volunteers for a year or two one would be doing more for the site than by writing new stories, chaptered or otherwise.

Where does one volunteer to be a reader?

I'd just PM Laurel and ask.

I think the time has come to vote on the issue. I don't want to take too long, and I know nobody else does either, so I will set the deadline at Midnight, Friday, Jan. 11.

________Continue to ban chapters except for N & N and Chain Stories.

_________Abandon the rule against chapters.

_________Allow chapters, but only if they are at least 3,000 words.

Again, vote by copying and marking this post. Only one vote per person, with no alts allowed. Voters must be either signed up to participate in the contest of long-time members of Literotica.

I think the time has come to vote on the issue. I don't want to take too long, and I know nobody else does either, so I will set the deadline at Midnight, Friday, Jan. 11.

____X____Allow chapters, but only if they are at least 3,000 words.

Again, vote by copying and marking this post. Only one vote per person, with no alts allowed. Voters must be either signed up to participate in the contest of long-time members of Literotica.

I wanted to state my case again for the suggestion I made.

Here's why I had made the suggestion that only the first chapter of a story counts towards the survivor contest. While I don't write a lot of chapter stories, there have been times when my muse returns to the scene of the crime with a suggestion for more. Or, I've gotten suggestions from readers for more. Under the current rules, I asked this question during the 2012 contest. http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=42214935&postcount=140

Red suggested I wait until January to add to any existing Survivor count stories.

Of course, should the decision be made to allow chapters, my suggestion becomes moot. However, if the vote goes the other way, my suggestion that first chapters alone can count towards the Survivor contest remains. My vote is included above.

My Vote:

Man, I am torn on this one. I want chapters back, period. I also feel Zrnko has made some valid reasons not to change word count, and others had valid ones for changing it.

I don't care who did what in the past, it can be done by anyone in the future. It can be done with 3000 words, just as easily as with 750 words, but maybe the 3000 word count would deter them more. In my opinion, I don't think it will.

Honestly if someone is going to ramble on for 750 words, they'll ramble on for 3000. I also don't see SusanJillParker being the sole reason this issue is being brought up, SJP admits to doing the 750 word thing, but we all know damn well that others did it and will be more than willing to do it again if the word count isn't increased.

Whether the 750 word chapters are true chapters or whether they're rambling ones, it doesn't matter, if we go with Bucky's idea of only one then we don't need to change the word count.

I would like to vote that we allow chapters and increase it to 3000, but we also consider allowing only the first chapter of every new story to be counted and no other subsequent chapters for that submission can count. Then word count could remain at 750 and we aren't changing Lit's rules about word count.

Yet, last year, when I won Survivor under SuperHeroRalph, there was no mention of my name or of the top winners of Survivor in the way that Laurel does for the theme and monthly contests. It's as if we didn't even exist. I wonder if she'll mention the winners this year.

The announcement was here: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=793130

Posts: 18,802 Congratulations to Survivor 2011's Winners (and Participants)!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The numbers have been tallied, and the Top Literotica Author Survivors for 2011 are:

1st Place, $500: SuperHeroRalph
2nd Place, $250: Kaishaku
3rd Place, $200: Boxlicker101
4th Place, $150: PrincessErin
5th Place, $100: Noira

$25 Amazon Gift Cards:
6th Place: Tara_Neale
7th Place: Lady_Eryka
8th Place: oOScarletWingsOo
9th Place: theravenfox
10th Place: al_Ussa

Winners should contact me via Private Message to redeem their prize.

Manu and I would like to congratulate every author who participated in 2011's year-long event.

The 2012 Literotica Survivor Story Contest has already begun!

Click Here for full rules and information.

Congratulations again to last year's Survivors, and good luck to all in 2012!

_____X____Allow chapters, but only if they are at least 3,000 words.

Yes, thank you for telling me what I already know.

My point was that Laurel didn't make mention of the winners at the opening of the site in the way that she makes mention of the winners in a theme contest.

Please refrain from shining your flashlight up my ass every time I make a post. I have enough loyal bashers doing that already.

"Get a life."

Yes, thank you for telling me what I already know.

My point was that Laurel didn't make mention of the winners at the opening of the site in the way that she makes mention of the winners in a theme contest.

Please refrain from shining your flashlight up my ass every time I make a post. I have enough loyal bashers doing that already.

"Get a life."

You're welcome.

____X_____Allow chapters, but only if they are at least 3,000 words.

Back