R.I.P. the Flat Sheet?

MREDME2

Loves Spam
Joined
Jun 25, 2018
Posts
605
Is the flat sheet becoming extinct?

Are people still using it?
 
I only use it as a bottom sheet when I am out of fitted ones, or when I stay at other people's houses or in hotels.
I haven't used one in many decades, they are just one more thing to get tangled up in.
 
804_1000.gif
 
My roommates bitching about the same thing.

Had to buy a complete set WHEN she found it.
 
Might be because I'm over here in the UK, but I've never heard of a flat sheet. The standard here is mattress, bedsheet, duvet cover, duvet and maybe a quilt.
 
I still use a flat sheet as the top one. They are definitely a lot easier to fold neatly than the fitted ones. I've been showed how to do that many times, but I still manage to screw it up most of the time and wind up with something that looks more like a misshapen ball of cloth.
 
Might be because I'm over here in the UK, but I've never heard of a flat sheet. The standard here is mattress, bedsheet, duvet cover, duvet and maybe a quilt.

Isn't the duvet inside its cover? After all, that's the whole reason for the duvet cover.
 
Wouldn't it be easier to put yourself inside the duvet cover than the actual duvet?
 

Seems simple enough, but when I tried it with aa sheet for our king-sized bed, I realized I'd need arms as long as an NBA player to do it successfully. It still came out noticeably better than my own patented "roll it up in a ball and stick it in the back of the linen closet" method, but it came nowhere as neat as the woman's in the video did. Nevertheless, thanks lots for trying to help me and the other fitted sheet impaired Lit members.
 
Today, went shopping with the wife for new bedding, but could only find flat sheets sold individually rather then part of a set. also only sold in white or grey.
Wanted a coloured set of a fitted, Flat and Pillow cases, none in sight.
 
I used to think so. When I first bought the husband home, he asked for a sheet to lay under. The only ones I had were fitted. It's fucking hilarious watching someone you just bought home try to sleep under a fitted sheet...

Then I got older and discovered triple sheeting. You use a mattress protector and fitted sheet on the bottom, then layer flat sheet, doona, flat sheet. It's way easier.
 
If I'm using a crocheted blanket I'll use a flat sheet so I don't get tangled in the holes.
 
I used to think so. When I first bought the husband home, he asked for a sheet to lay under. The only ones I had were fitted. It's fucking hilarious watching someone you just bought home try to sleep under a fitted sheet...

Then I got older and discovered triple sheeting. You use a mattress protector and fitted sheet on the bottom, then layer flat sheet, doona, flat sheet. It's way easier.

Why not just a doona cover?
 
I had to google “what is a doona cover?” :x

sorry, duvet=doona=down or down alternative comforter.

I use mattress, mattress topper, allergen proof mattress pad, bottom sheet, duvet cover, sometimes a throw on top at feet.

I wash the sheet and duvet cover once a week in hot water, and the duvet every three months. I have a dust mite allergy.
 
I prefer the flat sheets so I can tuck and pin them tight to the mattress. The fitted ones are a fucking nuisance to set up!
And I definitely can't be bothered with all this bedding mentioned above. I have my mattress, the protective cover for it, then my flat sheet, my comforter/quilt , and then a nice show blanket I'll put on during the day when the bed is all made.
 
I prefer the flat sheets so I can tuck and pin them tight to the mattress. The fitted ones are a fucking nuisance to set up!
And I definitely can't be bothered with all this bedding mentioned above. I have my mattress, the protective cover for it, then my flat sheet, my comforter/quilt , and then a nice show blanket I'll put on during the day when the bed is all made.

With my luck I would somehow pull the pin out and get stabbed. Sometimes I just use larger flat sheets and fold them under the mattress.

You reminded me, I really should get a bedspread of some sort.
 
I worry for the future. The proper way to make a bed is mattress, mattress cover, fitted sheet (although I will concede to the use of a properly tucked in flat sheet), top sheet (flat for the purposes of this thread), warm cover - blanket, duvet, dogs, whatever floats your boat. Flat sheets are what separate us from the wolves. Not everyone can have an opposable thumb, but everyone can use the top sheet. Monsters.
 
I remember the days when sheets didn't come in sets. Used to wait for the "white sales" to buy flat sheets in assorted sizes. They could be used in a variety of ways. Furniture covers, window coverings, picnic throws.

Now it seems that we get the option of sets or in some cases, individual pieces. I used to always use the flat sheet under the blankets but now I don't. I have really soft blankets. They feel much better against the skin than a sheet.

When the weather is warm, I might use just the flat sheet as a cover. Otherwise they rarely get used.
 



In fall and winter, the flat sheet provides a layer between me and the electric blanket. It's indispensable for keeping the electric blanket from eventually getting grungy.




 
Back
Top