The pseudo-oppressed coalition: why were left-handed never added?

renard_ruse

Break up Amazon
The gaggle of different demographic groups that liberals have added to their mythological "oppressed groups" movement is ever growing. Over time more and more demographic groups have been added, but curiously one rather obvious demographic has never been added. The left-handed.

Perhaps its because the left-handed really do have handicaps in life to overcome and no advocacy lobby to advance their cause. Its still curious with all the groups that have been added to the coalition, why have left-handers never been added?

I remember in college, about 20 years ago, someone wrote a letter to the school paper demanding rights for the left-handed and asking why they weren't part of the recognized victimized groups.

Liberal activists went berserk and basically called the writer not just an idiot but "ignorant" and "insensitive." All the usual insult names. No real explanation as to why not was offered though.

I'm not left-handed myself, but I find it curious why the liberals didn't ever add them to the Coalition of the Allegedly Oppressed. With liberals its always about numbers, that is adding more supporters and voters to their coalition. Here's an additional 10-15% of the population who may not already be covered under some other victimization category (and even if they are, double and triple dipping in the oppression pond never hurts). Yet, they have steadfastly refused to add this characteristic to The List.

The left-handed still suffer from everday indignities and difficulties in a world designed for right-handers. Historically, oppression has been wide spread, with forced conversion to right-handedness the norm through history as well as negative terminology surrounding left-handedness in many languages throughout the world. In some eras, left-handers were even burned at the stake as evil.

I'm left handed

I have never been denied my right to marriage because of my left handedness

I have never been denied the right to vote because of my left handedness

I have never been denied access to healthcare because of left handedness

I have never been barred from employment because of left handedness

the list goes on and on

the people calling this writer insensitive and ignorant were absolutely right... being left handed does not deny you of any rights

only a moron couldn't understand that

but, in an act of revenge..the keyboard was designed by a leftie for lefties...the right handed world has just adapted to it

I'm left handed

I have never been denied my right to marriage because of my left handedness

I have never been denied the right to vote because of my left handedness

I have never been denied access to healthcare because of left handedness

I have never been barred from employment because of left handedness

the list goes on and on

the people calling this writer insensitive and ignorant were absolutely right... being left handed does not deny you of any rights

only a moron couldn't understand that

but, in an act of revenge..the keyboard was designed by a leftie for lefties...the right handed world has just adapted to it

You're an absolute idiot, and I don't indulge idiots who have more time on their hands to write blather than they have common sense.

The whole idea of a victimized group coalition is moronic. Moron.

The answer is because they are sinister.

For those who don't know, such as the author of this thread, sinister means left-handed, as in bar sinister on heraldry.

Demanding RIGHTS for the left-handed is a hysterically funny line, IMHO.

You're an absolute idiot, and I don't indulge idiots who have more time on their hands to write blather than they have common sense.

The whole idea of a victimized group coalition is moronic. Moron.

please give me one instance in which a person who is left handed has been denied a basic right

put up or shut up

Liberal's could win every election if they declared everyone "oppressed." Yet, they don't do this because the concept has to fit into their deformed version of Marxist theory of a dialectic between social classes. Demographics have replaced economics since the 60's in defining the dialectic.

If you add everyone (or too many people), you mess up the theory. It has to be a majority, but there needs to still be a significant group of "oppressors" to make the theory work.

please give me one instance in which a person who is left handed has been denied a basic right

put up or shut up

The right not to be forced or expected to use their right hand. Discrimination in schools. Right to safe work conditions.

The things you list as "basic rights" are not either. You're just throwing things around to claim various groups are "oppressed" (or were but aren't anymore). Its as arbitrary as the arguments that can be used for the left-handed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want another group I'm not part of being given special privileges. Its just curious.

The right not to be forced or expected to use their right hand. Discrimination in schools. Right to safe work conditions.

The things you list as "basic rights" are not either. You're just throwing things around to claim various groups are "oppressed" (or were but aren't anymore). Its as arbitrary as the arguments that can be used for the left-handed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want another group I'm not part of being given special privileges. Its just curious.

that's not a right... no one is forced to work with thier right hand.. show me one job where people are forced to work with one specifc hand

I was never discriminated in school because I'm left handed.. because I have tits, yes.. but not because I'm a southpaw

how is the right to being allowed to marry not a basic one... or is that something only select people are allowed?

Back