What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think where else to put this, short of starting a whole new thread, so I'll put it here, knowing that this is one of the most-read threads in the whole forum. :D

Why The ‘Check Engine’ Light Must Be Banned

It's pretty easy to dismiss the "check engine" light as just stupid, because, well, it is. I suppose if you thought that the cause of smoke coming from under your hood had something to do with the floor mats, then, sure, the "check engine" light is handy, but beyond that, it's useless. But that's not the real problem. The real problem is that the "check engine" light is a tool for the propagation of consumer ignorance about their cars. Which is why it needs to die. Now.

= = = = =

My mom, for example, is never going to be able to connect her laptop to the OBD-II connector somewhere under the dash in her Passat; it's hard enough explaining to her how to connect a printer to her Mac. If her Passat just told her what codes were being thrown, she would at least have an idea about the condition of her car.

= = = = =

Our cars need to tell us exactly what they're thinking, even if we have to yell at NHTSA to make a rule to make sure the manufacturers do it. Do I have to stand outside of the grocery store getting signatures to make that happen? Maybe. But it'll be worth it.

Do it for my mother — and yours.​

+ + + + + + + + + +

Sign The Petition To Ban The Stupid ‘Check Engine’ Light

.... We now have this petition up at whitehouse.gov demanding the creation of regulation to mandate descriptive fault information right in a car's dashboard.​

I'm glad to see there is a petition. My check engine light came on because the gas cap wasn't sealing tightly. The light stayed on even though I changed the cap. Thankfully, I know a mechanic who didn't charge me for hooking the vehicle up to check the code. Sure enough, it was from the gas cap. He had to clear the code in order for the check engine light to go off. It is absolutely absurd that we should have to go to a mechanic and pay them to have a code cleared when the problem was already solved.

Calls for a Rimshot!

Wait. That didn't sound quite right.

Yes it did, actually.

A very Happy Meal? Do you want nuts on that Sundae? How about driving around to my second window (nudge nudge wink wink)?

I don't know how I missed this. This had me laughing. Probably more than it should, but I just found it hysterical. :D

Fix ya right up. And I'll even throw in a nice cold soda. :D

mcdonalds-Big-Mac-Extra-Value-Meals.png

Sorry, but all I keep thinking is and some "special sauce" with your Big Mac....:eek: :)

I can't think where else to put this, short of starting a whole new thread, so I'll put it here, knowing that this is one of the most-read threads in the whole forum. :D

Why The ‘Check Engine’ Light Must Be Banned

It's pretty easy to dismiss the "check engine" light as just stupid, because, well, it is. I suppose if you thought that the cause of smoke coming from under your hood had something to do with the floor mats, then, sure, the "check engine" light is handy, but beyond that, it's useless. But that's not the real problem. The real problem is that the "check engine" light is a tool for the propagation of consumer ignorance about their cars. Which is why it needs to die. Now.

= = = = =

My mom, for example, is never going to be able to connect her laptop to the OBD-II connector somewhere under the dash in her Passat; it's hard enough explaining to her how to connect a printer to her Mac. If her Passat just told her what codes were being thrown, she would at least have an idea about the condition of her car.

= = = = =

Our cars need to tell us exactly what they're thinking, even if we have to yell at NHTSA to make a rule to make sure the manufacturers do it. Do I have to stand outside of the grocery store getting signatures to make that happen? Maybe. But it'll be worth it.

Do it for my mother — and yours.​

+ + + + + + + + + +

Sign The Petition To Ban The Stupid ‘Check Engine’ Light

.... We now have this petition up at whitehouse.gov demanding the creation of regulation to mandate descriptive fault information right in a car's dashboard.​

Is there a check the check engine light light?

I don't know how I missed this. This had me laughing. Probably more than it should, but I just found it hysterical. :D

Sorry, but all I keep thinking is and some "special sauce" with your Big Mac....:eek: :)

I won't make a reference to seed-covered buns. Nope. Not gonna do it.

Learned a new word today.

Trustafarian - the hippie-like, dredlocked trust fund kids that backpack around Europe and act like they are oh so down with the people and up with the struggle of the common folk. They also make more in a month, from the trust fund mommy and daddy gave them, than you or I make in a year.

Trustafarian - the hippie-like, dredlocked trust fund kids that backpack around Europe and act like they are oh so down with the people and up with the struggle of the common folk. They also make more in a month, from the trust fund mommy and daddy gave them, than you or I make in a year.

Ha ha yes - a very commonly used term in England.

Ha ha yes - a very commonly used term in England.

I'd never heard it but it's so perfect. I've met lots of trust fund babies in my travels. Weird bunch.

Note to rich parents: Give your money to charity. Let your kids earn their own.

Note to rich parents: Give your money to charity. Let your kids earn their own.

Word. My dad (a self-made man - was born into abject poverty) was going to do this (he never gave me a penny - I even had to wear my school uniform at weekends because he didn't want to spend money on clothes).

Two years before he died he and my mum changed their wills from "everything to the surviving spouse or if I'm the last one to die, everything to charity" - all of a sudden it became "half to each of my kids". As my mum died in 2011 I will soon get some not inconsiderable dosh.

I was 40 at the time dad changed his will and by then I had made my own way in life already - and I am glad that I got to 40 thinking I was never going to get a penny that I didn't earn. It made a man of me (well, a woman, but you know what I mean!)

Last edited:
This is not a spoiled dog. Oh, noooooo....

CopyofCIMG0004.jpg

Who unplugged his little doggy stereo?

Reminds me of a dog that belongs to one of my sisters. It's one of those little scrawny yappers that could fit in a woman's purse if she took all the unnecessary stuff out. After walks to do its business outdoors, he's ceremoniously lifted to the sink and given a bidet treatment using the spray nozzle. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

It's the weekend! Yay for the weekend, especially since I had some substantial sales in the shop today! Girlfriends afternoon out tomorrow. That makes me very happy....

Oh yeah...and it is ridiculous how a text that says something along the lines of 'thank you owned girl' can leave me beaming and happy the rest of the day.

Oh yeah, they're the best. :rolleyes:

Being that it was ridiculously hot last night, I opted to spend my sleeping time- what little of it there is- sprawled out on the floor of the room closest to the awesome refrigerated air conditioner. It's like sleeping in a snowdrift, and although of course I ended up having to attend to the children during the night, and every time I got back to that room, there was one more occupant. First the dog joined me, then my wife, then our new girlfriend (long story, thought I should brag :D ) so by morning, literally everyone who was in the house ended up on the floor of that room.

Also? Best morning cuddle ever :)

Went to Joanns (fabric/pattern/craft store) to get stuff since they're moving. Original total cost: $160. Then the Liquidation discount and a 20% off coupon took it down to $32 for the win! Seven patterns, some embroidery thread, a couple of squeeze bottles for school and some more beading/jewelry thread. Bargain hunting FTW.

The patterns include some awesome Victorian/steampunk patterns.

Omg! A company (in some financial bad weather) that I never expected to pay me the rather significant sum of money for the work I did for them, anymore, has just paid me... wtf! Seriously, I had given up... But yay! YAY. :D

Girl at work went out and bought a bag of fabric, then gave it to me and asked me to make her daughter "something gothy/vampy"

Finally got to it today. I love it! It wasn't as hard to work with the netting as I had remembered, and the result is just too cool.

I smiled knowing how spoiled I am - emotionally, sexually, and practically. Thank you universe for the joy of him after years in the void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back