Fun with Names

I had some fun with names in my 'Mistress of the Air' series. It is a comic, Steampunk story with a lot of BDSM kink so a genre that lent itself to creating some silly names. The principal character is Edwardian dominatrix Lady Sally Rudston-Chichester (actually a mash up of two real Yorkshire (UK) families, the Chichester-Constables and Rudston-Calverleys). She takes her airship, 'The Corseted Domme' across Europe having various kinky adventures.

So, there is a German automaton manufacturer, Ernst von Siemen; an Austrian Princess, Maria Labiastein; a Prussian military commander, Archduke von Hardonberg; a Russian aristocrat, Count Clitovsky and three anarchists, Dimitri Bollokov, Sophia Testlikova and Pieter Krapotkin; a Polish lesbian dwarf, Kina Linguzh; Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Mustafa Shagazade and member of the Neapolitan mafia, Signore Fellatio.

The name of Lady Sally's automaton sex doll is Borghild. This is an interesting one because there is a background to the name. Whilst researching I stumbled across a story about a toy designed to satisfy the sexual needs of Nazi army officers. This was a scheme inspired by Heinrich Himmler in 1940 called the Borghild project. Apparently, there was huge concern about an epidemic of syphilis amongst the German troops. It seems the greatest danger to them was the widespread presence of whores in the brothels of Paris. The project involved distributing inflatable sex dolls to the troops. These could be transported in back-packs and produced whenever relief was needed so the troops wouldn’t visit Paris prostitutes. Adolf Hitler allegedly approved the project. Naturally, the doll had appropriately Aryan features and blonde hair. The sex-doll was supposedly distributed to some officers but the project was cancelled because the soldiers refused to carry the sex doll in fear of embarrassment if they were captured and found with one.

It’s a fantastic story, isn’t it? Unfortunately, it’s urban myth or fake news. There’s stuff on the internet that reports this story as fact but no evidence for it other than a couple of photographs of said sex-doll believed to have been produced long after the 1940s. A shame, I know, but it’s almost certainly a hoax. But it's a great story and I couldn't resist the temptation of giving Lady Sally's brass sex doll the same name!
 
It’s a fantastic story, isn’t it? Unfortunately, it’s urban myth or fake news. There’s stuff on the internet that reports this story as fact but no evidence for it other than a couple of photographs of said sex-doll believed to have been produced long after the 1940s. A shame, I know, but it’s almost certainly a hoax. But it's a great story and I couldn't resist the temptation of giving Lady Sally's brass sex doll the same name!

Another thing that makes this story dubious - rubber was a vital war material and German supplies were limited by Allied naval blockades. The Germans had to develop a major synthetic rubber program to make up for the shortfalls. It's unlikely that they would've been squandering what they had on projects like this.
 
I know of a dentist with the last name "Doctor." So, it's Doctor Doctor.

And I had a surgeon once whose last name was Slaughter.
 
The three major characters in my story Brand New Tennessee Waltz all have names with significance to any serious country music fan, but they probably went over everyone else's heads. (No one has ever commented with an "I get it" or any variation thereof, but I certainly hope some readers have...)
 
I knew a woman named Elvira Clapsaddle in college. But she changed it...to Alice.

rj
 
At a military base a year or two ago, there was listed a 'Lieutenant Posthumous'
 
Would a Chinese-Thai hooker named Ho Li Phuk be funny or offensive?
 
I could pull names from a phone book or cast list and nobody would believe them.
 
OP, I do this all the time, though my references are always very subtle, if not straight fucking obscure as shit.

But dude. Biggs and Wedge from FINAL FANTASY? WTF is Final Fantasy, and what did it do with Star Wars?
 
OP, I do this all the time, though my references are always very subtle, if not straight fucking obscure as shit.

But dude. Biggs and Wedge from FINAL FANTASY? WTF is Final Fantasy, and what did it do with Star Wars?

WTF is Final Fantasy? Really? Where have you been since 1987? I ask this laughingly, of course. I honestly did not know they were Star Wars references until you mentioned it, so I looked it up. Anyway, Here: https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/15/ranking-the-final-fantasy-games
 
Back
Top