Thanking Your Readers

squirt_chaser

Virgin
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Posts
15
Hey Lit writers

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm pretty new to the site, and I was curious how any of you go about thanking your readers.

When people leave a particularly welcome comment or favorite a story, do you thank them in the comments section? Do you send them a message? Do you show your appreciation more generally by fulfilling requests for story continuations or maybe inviting story requests?

Just curious. Thanks!

:rose:
 
If it's not an anonymous comment, I'll click on the commenter's user name and send a direct message through their Lit account. I don't usually do this for simple "great story" comments, but if there is a question, or something in the comment I want to respond too, that's the best way.

If it's an anonymous comment, the best you can do is leave a comment of your own on the off chance that they come back to re-read your story.
 
Like most people, I'd assume, I only engage readers based on comment activity, not favorites. While the story is newish, I usually post a thank you responding broadly to the most recent set of comments. This typically ends up being just once or twice. Then I stop replying after the story has been published for a little bit and let previous comments continue to express my gratitude.

If someone has been very specific, I try to answer their questions/comments there so that others have the benefit of reading. On occasion, I will write to someone directly but more often I just respond to PMs from readers that engage me directly from the get-go.
 
It never occurred to me to thank the readers who favorited one of my stories. Have you been doing that for everyone who favorited one of your stories? It sounds like a lot of work, but then you might get a lot more personal feedback from the readers who like what you've written so far.
I do reply promptly to readers who e-mail me with feedback, even if it is negative at the outset. Usually, though, those negative feedback e-mails are anonymous and I don't have a chance to turn it into anything constructive.
When there is a comment on one of my stories that I can address (again, not helpful if it is anonymous), then I send direct feedback. I generally avoid putting comments on my own stories, but I have done so a handful of times when I think it helps to clear up some confusion.
 
I'm a new author here, so take this for what it's worth

The week my story is posted, I try to address every comment from someone that posts. I may or may not post a comment on those that post a second time. After that week, I only post if a comment grabs me.

My thinking is, I like the feedback I get when I post, and I want to acknowledge those that take the time to do it, even if it's as simple as, "Enjoyed it. Keep writing."

As for those who favorite a story or follow me, I don't thank them in public, but I do research their profile. Sometimes that results in me reading their stories and also doing the same.

I answer every email. If someone takes the time to send me one, that's a higher level of involvement.
 
On rare occasion I'll respond directly in the story comments section. Otherwise I only respond to directly e-mailed/PMed comments.
 
So far I have been responding (fairly politely) to every comment whether good or bad. Registered commenters got a PM letting them know I responded. That didn't seem to bring any further involvement from them, So I stopped that part.

Emails I do respond to ASAP, even the F O & Die type, as long as they have a valid address.

People who comment or email are showing a higher level of involvement in the story (even when negative) and I believe they deserve a response.
 
So far I have been responding (fairly politely) to every comment whether good or bad. Registered commenters got a PM letting them know I responded. That didn't seem to bring any further involvement from them, So I stopped that part.

Emails I do respond to ASAP, even the F O & Die type, as long as they have a valid address.

People who comment or email are showing a higher level of involvement in the story (even when negative) and I believe they deserve a result ponse.

I find responding to comments rarely gets any further comments. Most of my too and fro is when readers contact me via feedback and it turns into emails.
 
Back
Top