Quotation Marks, capitalization

rwsteward

Experienced
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Posts
90
Gang... If I've asked this before, please forgive an old man.

Which one is correct?

"Will she be over for dinner tonight?" He asked.

"Will she be over for dinner tonight?" he asked.

Notice the He is capitalized in the first example, and not in the second one.

And if there is a reference such as the CMS, I'd love to see it.

Thanks.
 
"Will she be over for dinner tonight?" he asked.

see the examples in Chicago Manual of Style 16, 13.38 and 13.42.
 
Many thanks!

What's that under in the Chicago Manual of Style?

I have the 14th edition and it's not the same as the one you reference to. In my edition, it shows as marking mathematical copy
 
I'm not sure what you are asking (or why). I cited two places in the most recent CMS (16) where you will find examples of how to render it. I have CMS 14 somewhere, but having cited what you asked for in the current CMS (16), I think that should be good enough.

It's really basic grammar. It's low level for CMS to include a specific section on it. Go to the index of the CMS for quotation marks and direct discourse and you should be able to find examples in multiple places that cover this point.
 
"Will she be over for dinner tonight?", he asked.

Don't forget that important comma.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top