Typing song lyrics in your stories.. Is it legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylynn34

Virgin
Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Posts
20
vous inside. We were quite young when we had Beth and baby talk petrifies him still.
*Speaking of babies, I best go have a look around and find where my Punkin has got off to.

**** ***************** Snooping Around *****************

Latonya was so chatty with mom and dad I figured the goats might enjoy my company, so off I went, heading to the huge land behind there home, counting six that I can see so far. They have a fairly big sized barn sixty more yards up ahead. I keep lazily making my way to it, wondering if maybe they have hogs, or maybe bunnies inside. I hear some music playing from inside that my Gammy used to listen to before she passed on and my parents still listen to it every now and again.

*((Smiling faces, sometimes pretend to be your friend. Smiling faces, show no traces, of the evil that lurks within. Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes, don't tell the truth. Smiling faces, smiling faces tell lies and I got proof.))

*I'm right up to the barn now and even though these big doors are closed, I can see thru a gap, spotting a smallish sized travel trailer parked under the loft. I spot a normal sized walk thru door that is open so I continue on around the next corner and enter the barn, making a few roosters flutter and hackle. Traveling deeper and towards the cool looking camper, I do spot three bunnies, each in there own cages. I go a few more feet in that direction and get a sight I doubt I soon forget.



Per Forum Guidelines:
10. Please do not post story submissions to the forums. You may post short snippets (less than 3 paragraphs or so) for discussion, but please post your full stories to the story side.

Remainder removed by mod


 
Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't the place to post large chunks of stories - for that you should submit them to the site so the moderator can decide whether the content's acceptable.
 
You don't need more than a small paragraph or two here. My opinion is that you're over using it. A line here or there with the proper credits is one thing. You seem to be blending it in to other dialog and building around it.
 
To the title slug question, two lines of copyrighted song lyrics is the limit that publishers would permit without written use permissions, unless what you were writing was an academic critique of the song.
 
you could either do a "I hear the song 'Smiling Faces' playing from inside that my Gammy used to listen to before she passed on...."
or "I hear the lyrics to Smiling Faces playing from inside that my Gammy used to listen to before she passed on"
in this case, that song is so wellknown that people get an earworm from hearing the title. you can research it a bit further with this

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ome..69i57.53552j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
 
To the title slug question, two lines of copyrighted song lyrics is the limit that publishers would permit without written use permissions, unless what you were writing was an academic critique of the song.

Unless the song is in the public domain. I have the whole of "Jeanie with the light brown hair" at the end of my story Jeanie the Genie.

The song is from the mid-19th Century.

Sometimes I use operas for plot ideas - The Magic Flute; The Haunted Manor. I have used operatic arias - Lensky's Aria and Voi Che Sapete (my story You Who Know...).

All are now public domain.

As an aside I used Chairman Mao's Little Red Book for my story Getting Nude With Chairman Mao. It was deliberately NOT copyrighted so that it could be distributed widely.
 
hope someone will delete this thread for me.. I looked for a delete option but it is only allowing me an edit.
 
hope someone will delete this thread for me.. I looked for a delete option but it is only allowing me an edit.

Threads aren't normally deleted. They just pass into obscurity as they are replaced on the front page by newer ones.

Unless someone posts to it. I have just done that, so it's at the top again.

Ignore the thread and it will sink into the historical depths...
 
Illegal no, annoying yes. You could just say something like "I was listening to/singing along to (song name here) by (artist name here)" and we'd probably get the point. Or if not, we could always just look it up and listen to it ourselves.
 
Last edited:
Illegal no,

Well, yes, as a matter of fact, it's subject to successful lawsuit (which is close enough to illegal), if you use more than two lines of the lyrics of a song and the owner chooses to sue you. And the music industry is where song owners are most prone to sue over copyright. Not likely to happen on a Literotica story, though. No profit is being made from it and it's too hard to track the violator down (other than the Web site itself, which is equally liable for letting it be published, and has an address on file).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top