In a Sunburned Country Story Event: Official Support Thread

Huh. Usually the warning signs are a bit less subtle:

extreme-danger-saltwater-crocodiles-BHF0HY.jpg

Yeah, well, the sign in question was about the size of a slice of bread and situated to that the only way to read it was to actually be in the water. Hmm - maybe somebody was keeping score?

I'm reliably informed that one of the government offices in Darwin had to remind staff that they were expected to wear something over their underpants.

Speaking of Darwin, if anybody is short of story ideas, I recommend browsing the NT News: https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/nort...mage-gallery/14c34390b2dd6b44f3998a7ccd289f03

My Christmas story last year was set in Darwin, about a young man and woman who have a chance meeting in the Northern Territory capital at Christmas 1974 and fall for each other, only to get caught up in Cyclone Tracy.

Being an Australian myself, quite a few of my stories are set in Oz, but I have noticed that some readers don't seem to get Australians and their sense of humor. My story 'Spoiled Princess Hates Camping' was set in America but two of the main male characters were from Australia and New Zealand, and some commenters described them as 'idiots'. And my story 'Cute Celebrity Chloe Comes To Stay', which takes place in Geelong, Victoria is a very light-hearted piece, but one reader hated the characters describing them as 'immature morons'.

I have noticed that some readers don't seem to get Australians and their sense of humor. My story 'Spoiled Princess Hates Camping' was set in America but two of the main male characters were from Australia and New Zealand, and some commenters described them as 'idiots'. And my story 'Cute Celebrity Chloe Comes To Stay', which takes place in Geelong, Victoria is a very light-hearted piece, but one reader hated the characters describing them as 'immature morons'.

I wouldn't take it personally or (how to put this?) 'nationally'. There are knuckle-draggers out there whose only 'intellectual' efforts centre on finding ways to pan any story. That the stories in question involved characters from down-under is perhaps essentially coincidental.

Being an Australian myself, quite a few of my stories are set in Oz, but I have noticed that some readers don't seem to get Australians and their sense of humor. My story 'Spoiled Princess Hates Camping' was set in America but two of the main male characters were from Australia and New Zealand, and some commenters described them as 'idiots'. And my story 'Cute Celebrity Chloe Comes To Stay', which takes place in Geelong, Victoria is a very light-hearted piece, but one reader hated the characters describing them as 'immature morons'.
It's a vague understanding, at some primitive level, that Australians often don't treat other nationalities as seriously as those other nationalities seem to think they should be treated. For some reason, Canadians seem to be exempt. Everyone else is fair game, particularly when it comes to the Oz urban (more usually, outback) myths, which get spun, mercilessly.

I wouldn't take it personally or (how to put this?) 'nationally'. There are knuckle-draggers out there whose only 'intellectual' efforts centre on finding ways to pan any story. That the stories in question involved characters from down-under is perhaps essentially coincidental.

Australian and Kiwi humor can be hard to follow sometimes. That "leg pulling" can be so well done. I was fooled completely. And the slap stick sense of humor.... sometimes it's hard to see what's funny until it's explained.

Could be coz crocs and sharks are more primeval, cold blooded, less "cuddly" - you ARE prey. Also, things in water can be spooky, because they move so silently. And fast!
Well, that's their backyard, not ours. :D Although Florida is time-sharing their backyard pools with the alligators, last I checked.

I find an idea fascinating to think about, how every one of our deepest fears about nature as a race can be linked to the idea that we were once "Man the Hunted" (name of a book, actually) near the semi-bottom of the food chain, and ANYTHING would consider us food (why we scrambled into the trees).

Think about the creature-feature horror movies:
Giant snakes. Giant Crocs. Giant Fish/Pirhaha. Giant Whale, Giant Sharks, Giant Catfish, Giant Wolves, Giant Cats, Giant Birds...

Australia is still kind of that way... everything wants to sting, poison, chase, bite, peck, eat, or kick-box you.

Although, when the trees retreated and we walked more, that was how we began to hunt...it wasn't that we were fast or stealthy or had claws or could swim... It was that we could out-walk every goddurned animal on the land. It could take 5 days tracking and trailing that limping yamoo, but we'd catch it, gosh-darnit!!

Methinks the Aborigines and the famous Walkabout was a peak demonstration of that.

I'm thinking the story with my certified-Aussie cowriter will be set outside. :D

Well, I have decided on my story. A story featuring those most bloodthirsty of all things Down Under, the vicious drop bears! I have decided this shall be my contribution to the Event. In the same spirit as my "A Troll is Haunting Tex's", "Chloe" and "Steve" are heading for Australia, hot on the trail of the elusive but pathologically vicious Drop Bears in their natural habitat. "On the Trail of Thylarctos Plummetus," coming to you on 6 November, 2018.

dropbear1.jpeg

Last edited:
Trail of Thylarctos Plummetus...

Once again, Chloe, your sense of a great title sends my inner biology geek giggling. :D

Last edited:
The English visitor arrived at what passed for the customs post at the dock.
“Do you have a criminal record ?” asked the Guard.
“Why, “said the Englishman, “is it necessary these days ?”

The English visitor arrived at what passed for the customs post at the dock.
“Do you have a criminal record ?” asked the Guard.
“Why, “said the Englishman, “is it necessary these days ?”

Ah, so an Australian period piece.

Hi Chloe!

Just now finding this. Hopefully you can count me in; I’ve been blocked lately, and this might be JUST the thing.

Hi Chloe!

Just now finding this. Hopefully you can count me in; I’ve been blocked lately, and this might be JUST the thing.

Great. I'm going to get busy later today sending out more invitations and you've just saved me one.

This is a great idea. I've been working on a story about Deep Sea Diving in the Great Barrier Reef. I call dibs on the theme of global warming.

I have a request for advice from the Australian natives who are weighing in here:

This event sounds like a fun idea, and I want to contribute something, but the biggest pitfall, it seems to me (I'm an American) is avoiding falling into a pit of goofy Australian cliches.

I promise, if I do write a story, not to have any character say "G'Day Mate." No shrimps on the barbie will be mentioned. But beyond that, do our colleagues down under have any advice about annoying cliches and tropes to avoid? The challenge is to write something that is in some way quintessentially Australian without being an Australian cliche.

That's great. I'll add you to the list :)

Ohhh, you have a list. :D

Collaborator Axelotl and I are weighing two ideas right now. We'll either decide on one or try both, maybe, see which flows best. Or go with a third idea that pops out of nowhere... More detail when something is solid.

And Simon, I saw a couple of specific suggestions on the comments of the Annoucement itself: https://www.literotica.com/s/coming-soon-the-in-a-sunburned-country-story-event

Primarily leudon and col_lover

Crkcppr specifically asked for Drop Bears. (Also the first prank Axelotl tried to pull on me, but my 2-week trip Down Under twenty years previous beat him to it. ;) )

I have a request for advice from the Australian natives who are weighing in here:

This event sounds like a fun idea, and I want to contribute something, but the biggest pitfall, it seems to me (I'm an American) is avoiding falling into a pit of goofy Australian cliches.

I promise, if I do write a story, not to have any character say "G'Day Mate." No shrimps on the barbie will be mentioned. But beyond that, do our colleagues down under have any advice about annoying cliches and tropes to avoid? The challenge is to write something that is in some way quintessentially Australian without being an Australian cliche.
How dry is your sense of humour? Do you understand sarcasm and tall poppy syndrome? Can you take the piss at your own expense? If so, you'll be fine.

Tropes to avoid? Anything you saw in Crocodile Dundee is a good thing to forget. That bastard Hogan is responsible for most of the rubbish that gets recycled.

I'm sure you can find some Aussies prepared to cast their eye over your content to tell you, "don't be bloody stupid, that hasn't happened since 1971."

Maybe if folk have questions, they chuck them into the thread as a kind of running FAQ, and wait for an Aussie to reply (remembering our today is your tomorrow).

Trail of Thylarctos Plummetus...

Once again, Chloe, your sense of a great title sends my inner biology geek giggling. :D
In terms of veracity, Chloe needs to remember that drop-bears specifically target American accents. Yanks must die in any drop-bear story, or it's fake from the get go. It's a piece of evolutionary fine-tuning that must never be underestimated.

A few things:

Getting Australia right depends very much on the where and the who. Rural/outback areas are closer to the stereotypes, but most people live in a few big coastal cities. Things like dialect and attitudes will depend heavily on urban vs. rural and social class. (Any Australian reading me can probably tell that I'm an urbanite from a posh background.)

Australia is a heavily multicultural country - much more so than the USA. About 25% of Australians were born overseas and another 25% have parents who were born overseas. Almost every story I've set in Australia features at least one character from a non-English-speaking background, because that's what's my world looks like.

Australian First Nations people are "Aboriginal" and "Torres Strait Islander", or (better) by specific group/nation. I live on the turf of the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. Avoid "Aborigines" unless representing dialect of somebody who would talk that way; "Abo" is very offensive.

Australia is less overtly religious than the USA (we elected an unmarried atheist woman as Prime Minister, albeit briefly) and much less deferential to military service. The "thank you for your service" thing would be weird here.

In urban areas, less car culture. A lot of adults don't own cars and many haven't learned to drive, or don't do so until their thirties. In rural areas, driving is a necessity.

Much less gun culture. Civilian carry is not a thing, except for hunting and in some areas for protection against crocs and buffalo.

Convict jokes: last time I heard one of these was from a Virginian who apparently didn't know that his own state received vastly more British convicts than mine ever did.

Lots of linguistic differences, but those won't fit in a forum post!

How dry is your sense of humour? Do you understand sarcasm and tall poppy syndrome? Can you take the piss at your own expense? If so, you'll be fine.

Tropes to avoid? Anything you saw in Crocodile Dundee is a good thing to forget. That bastard Hogan is responsible for most of the rubbish that gets recycled.

I'm sure you can find some Aussies prepared to cast their eye over your content to tell you, "don't be bloody stupid, that hasn't happened since 1971."

Maybe if folk have questions, they chuck them into the thread as a kind of running FAQ, and wait for an Aussie to reply (remembering our today is your tomorrow).

Pretty dry, although I spell it "humor" not "humour." I have no problem with the Crocodile Dundee advice, because that movie was crap on a stick as far as I'm concerned.

Your advice is encouraging. I'm going to try to give it a go, although it looks like Chloe has called dibs on the drop bear thing. I was thinking about that as a subject, but to avoid duplication I may opt for one of your other super-scary fauna as a plot point. There are a lot to choose from.

Pretty dry, although I spell it "humor" not "humour." I have no problem with the Crocodile Dundee advice, because that movie was crap on a stick as far as I'm concerned.

Your advice is encouraging. I'm going to try to give it a go, although it looks like Chloe has called dibs on the drop bear thing. I was thinking about that as a subject, but to avoid duplication I may opt for one of your other super-scary fauna as a plot point. There are a lot to choose from.

Noooo, if you want to do Drop Bears, you go for it Simon. Mine is going to be sort of "A Troll is Haunting Tex's" Down Under. Plenty of room for both.

A few things:

Getting Australia right depends very much on the where and the who. Rural/outback areas are closer to the stereotypes, but most people live in a few big coastal cities. Things like dialect and attitudes will depend heavily on urban vs. rural and social class. (Any Australian reading me can probably tell that I'm an urbanite from a posh background.)

I'll give my perceptions, as an American now hopefully permanently relocated to Australia. Also I'll volunteer to beta-read if somebody wants. I completely agree with Bramblethorn here; in the city there is outwardly not that much difference from American cities. In the rural areas, it's a completely different world to me -- like going to the Deep South :)

Australia is a heavily multicultural country - much more so than the USA.

Australian First Nations people are "Aboriginal" and "Torres Strait Islander", or (better) by specific group/nation.

Although many "white" Australians don't want to admit it, the continent is definitely in Asia. Every workplace I've been in was littered with highly educated recent immigrants. And if you want to include traditional Aboriginal elements yes please do your research by part of the country. I find stereotypes of that super-offensive.

Australia is less overtly religious than the USA (we elected an unmarried atheist woman as Prime Minister, albeit briefly) and much less deferential to military service.

Australia's religion is sport, although there are bizarrely more religious-holiday days off work. My first year here, I was astonished that the four-day Easter Weekend was celebrated with a sailing regatta that started each day at 9 am. No-siree, you're not going to church on Easter. Get on the water!

I wouldn't agree on the military service idea, at least from my point-of-view. Military service is a respectable career choice here.

In urban areas, less car culture. A lot of adults don't own cars and many haven't learned to drive, or don't do so until their thirties.
This is not my finding in the small city. Cars are absolutely a necessity, teenagers routinely get one ASAP, and I have had people look askance at me when I tell them I enjoy taking the bus to work.

Much less gun culture. Civilian carry is not a thing.
Absolutely. Much much much much MUCH less gun culture and violence. I have never once worried about being shot here. In big-City USA, I was concerned about it every single day. Every single day aware of the likelihood. Recently someone went whacko in Sydney and attacked two people with an axe.

Lots of linguistic differences, but those won't fit in a forum post!

Yes. And as ElectricBlue said, very much different humour. Dry, witty, not cruel while fun is being poked.

One big difference is the reservation, the privacy, of the average Australian. They do not chat to you on the street, at the petrol pumps, at the supermarket checkout the way an American would. They do not butt into your business and tell you their opinion without you asking four times. I call Australians in this respect "Tan British people." I'd recommend somebody writing some exhibitionism into their story with this trait in mind. In Australia, people walk right by with a discrete look. In America, they'd be crowded around the park bench and asking your name and how many dogs you own and where did you learn to do that?

Last edited:
As an aside, I'm a YUGE fan of Casefile, a very successful Aussie True Crime podcast. The host "chooses to remain anonymous." He reads in the most deadpan, emotionless, just the facts style. it's creepy and excellent.

Back