Experience is something you get just after you need it.

Bert_Fegg

Literotica Guru
Joined
Dec 10, 2013
Posts
647
In this case submitting part three of a story, wrongly labelled as part four. I spotted it fairly quickly, but I didn't think it would make any difference. Now I know....

Would anyone care to share their experience with a newbie and spare what's left of my hair. I don't have much left to pull out :)
 
Well i learned to not put a line of asterisk all the way across a page as a chapter divider.

********************

When I hit the other side it made it into a solid line. I thought well hey, cool. Then I uploaded the story and Literotica's computer server took away all my spacing and then didn't show the line.

Kind of tightened up the chapters till it was all a jumble.

So now I use

** ** ** ** ** ** ** **

Also if you don't put story tags in the slots for them sometime the site will do them fro you. And they will be wrong.

Just somethings I've encountered.
 
Well i learned to not put a line of asterisk all the way across a page as a chapter divider.

********************

When I hit the other side it made it into a solid line. I thought well hey, cool. Then I uploaded the story and Literotica's computer server took away all my spacing and then didn't show the line.

Kind of tightened up the chapters till it was all a jumble.

So now I use

** ** ** ** ** ** ** **

Also if you don't put story tags in the slots for them sometime the site will do them fro you. And they will be wrong.

Just somethings I've encountered.

You can save yourself even more effort. The standard section mark is * * * * (with spaces between the asterisks).
 
But never expect the * * * * * to stay in the middle of the page.

I do it in the doc, but once I paste it in it is always to the far left.

I gave up trying its not that big of a deal.
 
I learned to never start a story with.

I was sixteen years old and sitting on my bed....

The following paragraphs had no sex in them at all. I describe the character as being dressed. His sister comes into his room also dressed and they lay there and talk until they fall asleep.

No sex.

But an immediate rejection because I learned that characters cannot exist here at all before the age of 18. Or at least not if you introduce them in the opening sentence.:rolleyes:

.
 
I find it humorous that Laurel sent me a message to use, ******************, between past and present segments of my story to denote different timelines. Every time I submit a chapter, it always stays as *****************, just as I put it, although, as LC has said, it moves on the page to the margin.

Guess Laurel has her own standards, lol. ;):D
 
I use five * on the left and it seems to stay that way.

*****

Like so.
 
I always thought that experience is what you get when you don't get what you want :)
 
I always thought that experience is what you get when you don't get what you want :)
Sometimes paraphrased as: Oh Goddess, not ANOTHER learning experience!

Meanwhile, a truism:

We gain good judgment from experience.
We gain experience from bad judgments.
 
Or another way to put it is that experience is the sum of surviveable mistakes.

I'd often wondered about chapter/timeline separators - thanks everyone for sorting that out for me. The first story I submitted here was rejected for punctuation issues, and I was never sure if that wasn't a part of it.

And thanks to LC for the advice about characters ages. That sounds like something I'd do, except that now, of course, I won't.

Have a great weekend everyone :)
 
I use five * on the left and it seems to stay that way.

*****

Like so.

Good thing you like them on the left because they go there anyway. I am an absolute tech dummy, but my assumption is when you copy paste it loses the "center" function on word.

I think there is html for it, but another author told me it didn't work and I don't think its really that important
 
Learning experiences are cool so long as each error is a novel event and the experience is assimilated with your fund of knowledge. And if you consider this proposition maybe you see how it is many brainiacs aren't really so smart. Plenty cant assimilate new experience, maybe they have a weird kinda alzheimers that shuts down the mind in early middle-age and late-youth.
 
There's an aviation proverb:

"Good judgment is the product of experience. Experience is the product of bad judgment."

And Benjamin Franklin:

"Experience keeps a dear school, but a fool will learn in no other."
 
Back
Top