Seldom-used words - M to A

Og and Handley, I knew a man, who had a Morris Minor. It was not the rust that killed that one, it was the river. A flood came through, and the car, which was parked too close to the bank, was taken away. I suppose it is still there, somewhere.

monocarpic - noun bearing fruit but once and dying

Two words today for some reason;

monkshood - noun ACONITUM; esp: a poisonous Eurasian herb often cultivated for its showy terminal racemes of white or purplish flowers

It's Monday, already.

Here is another fabric word for Naoko;

monk's cloth - noun a coarse heavy fabric in basket weave made originally of worsted and used for monk's habits but now chiefly of cotton or linen and used for draperies

Hello, everyone. Here are a couple of odd words I have never encountered before;

monkey jacket - noun MESS JACKET

monkeyshine - noun PRANK (usually used in plural)

Hello, everyone. Here are a couple of odd words I have never encountered before;

monkey jacket - noun MESS JACKET

That may be the case in some quarters, but a quick google glimpse reveals that the term now includes a wide variety of "casual" jackets (a "mess" jacket may be regarded as formal wear).
Both are notable for having no collar or a shawl collar.

To get one's monkey up -- to make or to become angry.

Eric Partridge's A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English

It's Monday, already.

Here is another fabric word for Naoko;

monk's cloth - noun a coarse heavy fabric in basket weave made originally of worsted and used for monk's habits but now chiefly of cotton or linen and used for draperies

Thank you for that one, Allard! Sorry I have not brought any words recently :eek:, I am popping in and reading the words though. (I have a bit of STUFF going on, and also of course Sports Day, the upcoming Class Play blahblah, LOL.)

:rose:

Thank you, Handley, for explaining mess jackets better.

Welcome, ControllingKink, to this thread, so nice to have you and what a timely post.

You are so welcome, Naoko, and whenever you have the time to join us will be wonderful. Fabric words always make me think of you.

Two words that go together;

monish - vt WARN

monition - noun 1. WARNING, CAUTION 2. an intimation or presentiment esp. of danger 3. a legal summons or citation to appear and answer a default

Thank you, Handley, for explaining mess jackets better.

Welcome, ControllingKink, to this thread, so nice to have you and what a timely post.

You are so welcome, Naoko, and whenever you have the time to join us will be wonderful. Fabric words always make me think of you.

Two words that go together;

monish - vt WARN

monition - noun 1. WARNING, CAUTION 2. an intimation or presentiment esp. of danger 3. a legal summons or citation to appear and answer a default

The more usual versions are admonish and admonishment.

Yes, of course that is true, Og, and I do recall someone, I think it was Carlus, mentioning monish and admonish before. All in all, I thought putting the two together with actual definitions was a good idea.

In between those two is this;

monism - noun 1.a. a view that there is only one kind of ultimate substance b. the view that reality is one unitary organic whole with no independent parts 2. MONOGENSIS

Yes, of course that is true, Og, and I do recall someone, I think it was Carlus, mentioning monish and admonish before. All in all, I thought putting the two together with actual definitions was a good idea.

In between those two is this;

monism - noun 1.a. a view that there is only one kind of ultimate substance b. the view that reality is one unitary organic whole with no independent parts 2. MONOGENSIS

I wonder if the "ultimate substance" is a Higgs Boson?
[sorry; I'll get my coat. . .]

Handley, isn't the b. definition said well? It certainly caught my attention.

For those who might like to keep up;

The Higgs boson (or Higgs particle) is a particle that gives mass to other particles. Peter Higgs was the first person to think of it, and the particle was found in March 2013. It is part of the Standard Model in physics, which means it is found everywhere. It is one of the 17 particles in the Standard Model. The Higgs particle is a boson. Bosons are particles responsible for all physical forces except gravity. Other bosons are the photon, the W and Z bosons, and the gluon. Scientists do not yet know how to combine gravity with the Standard Model.

Handley, isn't the b. definition said well? It certainly caught my attention.

For those who might like to keep up;

The Higgs boson (or Higgs particle) is a particle that gives mass to other particles. Peter Higgs was the first person to think of it, and the particle was found in March 2013. It is part of the Standard Model in physics, which means it is found everywhere. It is one of the 17 particles in the Standard Model. The Higgs particle is a boson. Bosons are particles responsible for all physical forces except gravity. Other bosons are the photon, the W and Z bosons, and the gluon. Scientists do not yet know how to combine gravity with the Standard Model.

Did they try droping a boson?:confused:

Hello, Lit lovers, here we go, again;

I am going to post two words, neither of which are seldom-used, just because;

mongrel - noun 1. an individual resulting from the interbreeding of diverse breeds or strains; esp: one of unknown ancestry 2. a cross between types of persons or things

moniker or monicker - noun slang NAME, NICKNAME

Catching up I

Naoko, I hope you enjoy your cup of tea. My day is just beginning and the yard work is waiting on me. Here is my last post this morning and it is one of my favorite characters. Have a lovely evening.

Morgan le Fay - noun a fairy and sister of King Arthur

Probably from the French word une fée, a fairy. The word is feminine today, and one would say la fée. I don't know enough about the French of the days when the Arthur cycle developed to know how the change in gender came about—or even if there was gender in the French of those days. Latin had gender, so early French probably did. But Latin had no articles, and I've never been able to find out where the articles, and the complicated requirements for using them, in Romance languages came from.

Last edited:
Catching Up V

'Twasn't I. Though I did mention nocent and have often wondered whether anyone ever hears from a gruntled customer or client.

'Twasn't I. Though I did mention nocent and have often wondered whether anyone ever hears from a gruntled customer or client.

Or a toward event.

:D at Moans Veneris! Must read, LOL. Hope you had a lovely trip.

Mata Hari - Fresian dancer and spy.

Welcome back, Carlus, and thanks for all the catching up, most amusing as usual. I also hope you had a lovely vacation, we did miss you and your input.

My father used to tell my mother to quit sounding like a fishmonger's wife. I never really thought about the end of the word alone;

monger(1) - noun BROKER, DEALER

monger(2) - vt to deal in: PEDDLE

Og, are there some slang words with monger in it?

My father used to tell my mother to quit sounding like a fishmonger's wife.
I love that bit in Pirates of the Caribbean when Captain Barbosa says of the Goddess Calypso: "Take this fishwife to the brig." And Pintel and Righetti say: "Right this way, Mrs. Fish," in their most menacing tones.
:D

Naoko, since Calypso was mated to Davy Jones, who happened to be an octopus of sorts, Barbosa was half right. LOL

monestrous - adj experiencing estrus once a year

Maybe Calypso was so cranky, because she was monestrous? hehe

It's late for me. Off to beddy-by.

Naoko, since Calypso was mated to Davy Jones, who happened to be an octopus of sorts, Barbosa was half right. LOL

monestrous - adj experiencing estrus once a year

Maybe Calypso was so cranky, because she was monestrous? hehe

It's late for me. Off to beddy-by.

:D:D:D - I never thought of that! You are totally right!

Night night.
:rose:

Back