Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fur around the collar is a wonderful thing in frigid temperatures for everyone. Today, fake fur is the rage, of course.

sedulous - adj characterized by steady attention and effort

Are you sure that isn't "hussies" rather than "hussars?":D

Hush yo' mouth! Until the arrival of a reliable machine gun, cavalry were the most feared unit on the battlefield, and hussars were elite cavalry.

Their uniforms, including pelisses, which were borrowed for a female item of attire, were the most spectacular of any military unit.

Og

Last edited:
Hush yo' mouth! Until the arrival of a reliable machine gun, cavalry were the most feared unit on the battlefield, and hussars were elite cavalry.

Their uniforms, including pelisses, which were borrowed for a female item of attire, were the most spectacular of any military unit.

Og

What's that? The hussars were effete cavalry? No wonder they wore the pelisse!

Og, What a spectacular uniform, more than enough to make this woman swoon! Thanks for that early Christmas gift.

solecism - noun a term whose form offends against established usage standards

Did I post this one already?

Morning, everyone. I suppose this one comes from the hardy plant, amaranth;

amaranthine - adj enduring for all time

Og

I would disagree with that Og, me and my fellow artilleryman Napoleon Bonaparte. Heavy guns were the crucial factor for Bonaparte Wellington and Clive for example.

In addition unless Squares were broken up by artillery they made a fearful mess of cavalry. Back as far as Cromwell disciplined pikemen made mincemeat of cavalry.

Cavalry were at their best against fractured formations and in pursuits but against trained disciplined infantrymen in close ranks their fancy pants were of precious little use.

I would disagree with that Og, me and my fellow artilleryman Napoleon Bonaparte. Heavy guns were the crucial factor for Bonaparte Wellington and Clive for example.

In addition unless Squares were broken up by artillery they made a fearful mess of cavalry. Back as far as Cromwell disciplined pikemen made mincemeat of cavalry.

Cavalry were at their best against fractured formations and in pursuits but against trained disciplined infantrymen in close ranks their fancy pants were of precious little use.

And I might add a little note about the fearsome mounted knights at Agincourt...very impressive against bowmen and pikemen...

How you men love to talk about fighting while we women love to see the men in uniforms...

gloze - verb to give a deceptively attractive appearance to

For some reason when I saw this word, I was compelled to post it. It reminds me of me, in more ways than one! hehehe hohoho

eager beaver - noun an intensely energetic, enthusiastic person

litotes • n., ironical understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of its contrary (e.g., you won't be sorry, meaning you'll be glad). A type of meiosis (understatement) in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of the contrary, as in "not unhappy" or "a poet of no small stature."

It's a wonderful word ( and a useful and entertaining ability ).

"You are not unknown in these parts, Mister," has that same ring to it, Trysail.

I have called myself by this name more than once since first viewing the Disney movie of the same name many years ago and it was nice to see it as an entry;

Pollyana - noun one who expects a favorable outcome or dwells on hopeful aspects

This one I found to be very interesting indeed;

lustral - adj to free from sin, guilt, or defilement

lustrate - adj serving to free from sin, guilt or defilement

lustration - noun a freeing from sin, guilt or defilement

lustrative - adj serving to purify from sin

lustratory - adj serving to purify from sin

The use of Cavalry in a direct charge against big guns or masses of Pikemen is somewhat limited - however, they were indispensable in flanking maneuvers due to their speed, and were very effective in this manner against archery units as well as artillery, which types of units are at a disadvantage in any kind of close quarters combat, particularly against mounted opponents.

Cromwell probably based his New Model army on the Swiss Mercenaries, who were so effective against Cavalry, the rest of Europe basically paid them off to stop hiring themselves out as mercenaries.

Afternoon, everyone. How about this one;

daedal - adj difficult to understand due to intricacy

Xelebes, I knew it sounded very familiar, but i just couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks.

This one sounds strange, like a Geo. W Bushism or something;

declension - noun descent to a lower level or condition

...declension - noun descent to a lower level or condition

Um..., err..., uh..., that word gives me nightmares of all those years of torture at the hands of an unforgiving teacher whilst I was involuntarily studying Latin.

If you had problems with "Bully", consider the word from the North-east of England: CANNY.

It can mean Clever (as in guile), but is more often used to "underline" or express a phrase
"It's a canny step" (meaning it's quite a distance but not an impossible walk).
also:
Astute, prudent, or skilled
gentle or steady.

What I still find surprising is that Cockney survives even as the East End of London is colonised by successive waves of immigration. In our local market you can hear Bangladeshi Cockney, Pakistani Cockney, Afghani Cockney and a few original English Cockneys selling smutter (Jewish Cockney for clothing).

Og

septic • noun, 1. a drainage system incorporating a septic tank, 2. (chiefly of a wound or a part of the body) infected with bacteria, 3. British Cockney slang for "Yank."

:) :)

Last edited:
Is that Yank like "yank your whanger" or like Yankee? I like to be clear, especially when insulting someone.

inveigler - noun one that seduces

From Wikipedia:

Hoplophobia from the Greek hoplon, meaning armor, is defined as the "fear of firearms" and as the "fear of armed citizens."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back