Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why describe the eruption of Krakatoa as 6,000 times larger than the atomic bomb that destroyed Hiroshima (and when will they stop using that comparison)? Telling me that one explosion was so much bigger than a really big explosion, resulting in a really, really, really big explosion, does nothing for the human brain's comprehension. Massively big times six thousand is still just massively big.

Now, if they would have taken a little plastic boat, like from the old Battleship game, out to a backyard pool and dropped a golfball into the water beside it, and told me that was Hiroshima, then you give me a sense of scale. If you then drop a medicine ball and tell me that was Krakatoa, okay, you've given me an idea of how much more devastating it was.

*sigh*

You would think they'd understand that explaining physics in layman's terms doesn't mean "big times bigger." :rolleyes:

Why describe the eruption of Krakatoa as 6,000 times larger than the atomic bomb that destroyed Hiroshima (and when will they stop using that comparison)? Telling me that one explosion was so much bigger than a really big explosion, resulting in a really, really, really big explosion, does nothing for the human brain's comprehension. Massively big times six thousand is still just massively big.

Now, if they would have taken a little plastic boat, like from the old Battleship game, out to a backyard pool and dropped a golfball into the water beside it, and told me that was Hiroshima, then you give me a sense of scale. If you then drop a medicine ball and tell me that was Krakatoa, okay, you've given me an idea of how much more devastating it was.

*sigh*

You would think they'd understand that explaining physics in layman's terms doesn't mean "big times bigger." :rolleyes:

Amen!

*sigh*

The comparison would have been more accurate if you replace the medicine ball with a wrecking ball that damages the pool's base.

Og

The comparison would have been more accurate if you replace the medicine ball with a wrecking ball that damages the pool's base.

Og

I wonder how big the eruption that destroys Yellowstone park will be... According to some estimates it could be like a 747 crashing into the pool

Omg . . . I just lied about my age. I guess it's only downhill from here? :eek:

Before you started lying about your age I heard that you were younger than I am. I am not that old*, so you are even less that old ;)

*I refuse to be that old! Without lying even :D

I can't decide if it's just another person who can spin words well, or something genuinely good for me.

I don't want to go to work today.

Name that child...

I found this. The comments show that the article only scratched the surface of parental incompetence inflicted on their children.

Unfortunate Names

My brother's initials were R C. That caused him embarrassment at school.

Og

I found this. The comments show that the article only scratched the surface of parental incompetence inflicted on their children.

Unfortunate Names

My brother's initials were R C. That caused him embarrassment at school.

Og

I was in school with a girl named Debra Print, unfortunate until she married and became Mrs something

I'm meeting someone for coffee tonight for a first date/meeting.

Totally nervous.

I don't know what to wear. Wish I had self-confidence. Know I need to do this. But really, really don't want it to go badly.

WTF was I thinking? :eek::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back