How to Get Rid of Your Gag Reflex--Deep Throating 101

I once read that you could clench your left hand into a really tight fist and achieve the same thing - prevent the gag reflex.

Even tried it - stuck the fingers of my right hand down with no gag.

Does this work for anyone else, I wonder? I'd be interested to hear :)

My wife is wanting to get past her gag reflex and the banana idea isn't working. We have considered getting a Slim Jim duo for her to try to train her gag reflex's with.

Has anyone tried using a dildo to learn with? The Slim Jim duo (Jelly) is narrow so she is hoping it will work for her in the beginning and she can get past the reflex with it, we have tried the Albolene on me as well but are considering using Coconut oil with a dildo to help her. Thoughts?

I once read that you could clench your left hand into a really tight fist and achieve the same thing - prevent the gag reflex.

Even tried it - stuck the fingers of my right hand down with no gag.

Does this work for anyone else, I wonder? I'd be interested to hear :)

That's the good ol' placebo effect. I tried with both hands while deepthroating, to no avail. My friends also stuck fingers down their throat to test this when they first heard it - and gagged once their fingers tickled the insides of their throat.

Last edited:
Is a book I am currently reading. I forget the author's name, but she is a Speech Pathologist who has applied speech therapy exercises to training your mouth, tongue, and throat to give better head. Fascinating read, easy exercises ... For deep-throating, I would suggest taking a "baseline" test so you can chart your progress. Hubby has been all about the progress tests! Another deepthroat tip from the book, is it lay with your head hanging off the bed - this creates a straight line from your lips to down your throat, and elongated the straight entrance. Of course, I am still working on the beginner exercises, but man is it fun ;)

fortunately, you can come to the Deep Trainer meetings, and find instruction with actual guys. We are here to help the ladies who sincerely desire to do their personal best, before they start in on their loving husbands.

....lol...just kidding....

Thank you for the info. My BF loves when I go down on him and can take him all in. Unfortunetly I have found It cuts of my nose breathing.....any suggestions on that? I feel silly. My reflex has gotten a lot less sensitive so I can stay down until I run out of breath.
I also like the idea of laying on the bed with him in my mouth. He loves to pump my face but again I can't last long. I would LOVE to be able to. I have not given up yet!

Thank you for the info. My BF loves when I go down on him and can take him all in. Unfortunetly I have found It cuts of my nose breathing.....any suggestions on that? I feel silly. My reflex has gotten a lot less sensitive so I can stay down until I run out of breath.
I also like the idea of laying on the bed with him in my mouth. He loves to pump my face but again I can't last long. I would LOVE to be able to. I have not given up yet!

you have to learn to time your breaths. take a big huge one before he shoves in, and then you can just hold it for as long as possible while he's pumping away. then you can slow down the rhythm for a moment and pull back just far enough to open up your breathing again. breath out/in, then back down the shaft.

know what i mean?

also, thought about just training up the length of time you can hold your breath?

swimmers do it.

I can't wait to share this thread with my nurse friends....I'm not sure how effective we'll be doing the Heimlich maneuver while rolling on the floor laughing.
When I taught my brother's gf how to suck a dick I just used a big glass dildo...common sense people!

Well, has anyone else had success doing this?

I understand if bananas themselves are a concern, but who else has been able to put some determined effort and practice towards overcoming their gag reflex? i assume the same thing can be done with a dildo or a vibe or whatever--who else has had success?

Or if you haven't yet learned to control it completely, can we hear an update about how it is going?

I haven't tried your method, but another technique is to use your toothbrush to help desensitize your gag reflex. Sliding it down the back of your throat helps you to control the reflex over time. Just don't swallow the toothpaste, as mentioned :)

Is a book I am currently reading. I forget the author's name, but she is a Speech Pathologist who has applied speech therapy exercises to training your mouth, tongue, and throat to give better head. Fascinating read, easy exercises ... For deep-throating, I would suggest taking a "baseline" test so you can chart your progress. Hubby has been all about the progress tests! Another deepthroat tip from the book, is it lay with your head hanging off the bed - this creates a straight line from your lips to down your throat, and elongated the straight entrance. Of course, I am still working on the beginner exercises, but man is it fun ;)

I've had great success with my gf laying on her back on the bed with her head hanging a little bit back (straight line approach). She likes it because she licks the top of my dick and likes the feel of the ridge on her tongue. But I digress. I grip her head between my legs with my balls literally dangling in her eyes and I slowly thrust down into her throat. When I get "there" she starts swallowing and swallowing. I love the feel of her throat milking my dick but she can take it down her throat for short bursts of frantic fucking....WHEW!! The straight throat and the rapid swallowing are the key. She loves it.

I understand if bananas themselves are a concern, but who else has been able to put some determined effort and practice towards overcoming their gag reflex? i assume the same thing can be done with a dildo or a vibe or whatever--who else has had success?

Or if you haven't yet learned to control it completely, can we hear an update about how it is going?

I practice with a dildo, its thinner than my boyfriend.
I can get more of it in than him, but still have the fear of throwing up.
That's why I don't yet attempt it with him.
But I really want to.

Just added bananas to my shopping list.
(Have the condoms)

I've been "practicing" on bananas "forever" but your analysis of how to control the reflex is way beyond what I've done.

Off to the store to buy bananas, if tiny_tits left any!

Years ago, my wife did some "research" and discovered a spray that numbs your throat. She was able to deepthroat me for the first time after using this spray. The only problem was that, after a while, it also numbed my cock! But after using it only twice, she was able to deepthroat without the spray from that point on.

You can find the spray online and in shops that sell sex toys.

hey...

One of the sexual things I've done that I'm most proud of is getting rid of my gag reflex. I mentioned this in a few of my posts here on Lit, and I have gotten a few messages from some of the other ladies (and a couple guys) asking exactly how to do it, so I decided to make a little how-to.

In high school, I got the chance to hook up with a guy I had wanted to get with for a really long time. We snuck off to a bedroom alone and started fooling around. After I started sucking his dick, he told me he wanted to go down "all the way." Now, this guy ended up having one of the biggest dicks I've ever seen, even 10 years later, but I didn't know that it was larger than average at the time. I tried a few times to get it down my throat, but just couldn't, kept choking, gagging, etc. I just couldn't swallow a dick that big all the way. I finished sucking him off, and he acted like he was into it, but I heard from one of my girlfriends that he was going around school saying that I didn't know how to give a good blowjob, which I wasn't going to stand for.

So over the course of about a month and a half, I practiced and practiced every day, and figured out how to control my gag reflex.

Essentially I just put something down my throat and held it there as long as I could, figuring out what muscles I had to focus on to keep from gagging. I tried a few different things, including a carrot, my vibrator and a bottle of hair gel, but really the best thing I found was one of the most obvious: bananas.

Peeled bananas work best for several reasons. First, the texture of a banana is much closer to the feeling of a real guys' dick than a carrot or a vibrator, and a banana can show you when your teeth have mistakenly gotten into the mix, which a plastic vibrator can't. Bananas are also curved, like most guys' dicks. And finally, possibly most important: they come in lots of different shapes and sizes.

I started with shorter, thinner bananas, and just worked my way up to long, thick ones.

When i first started i did this in a mirror, because watching yourself also helps you get better control.

1) Start with your peeled banana, and open your mouth as wide as possible.

If you want you can just lick/suck the banana for a few seconds to get it slippery. Not essential though.

2) Just ease the banana down towards your throat slowly, and if you start to gag, just pull it out and try again. But pay attention to what it actually FEELS like when you gag--don't just try and ignore the sensation. You want to know what muscles you need to think about.

Try and relax your neck/throat as much as possible.

Use a little bit of an in-out rhythm, maybe on a count of two seconds, so its IN (1 second) out (2nd second).

After a few days of practice, you'll find you can actually begin to hold back or at least delay when you gag, and you'll be able to push it past your uvula/tonsils. If you haven't done it, having something pressing against the very back of your throat DOES feel strange, and may make you gag again, but just keep fighting it.

3) Keep this up, and you'll find after a week or two that you can put the banana farther and farther down and pull it back out with less and less gagging.

4) After you can stand the feeling of the banana just going down past your tonsils, what you need to do is start pushing it in and holding it down there. Basically you want to practice just having something that big in your mouth/throat for a long period of time. Remember, you aren't getting RID of your gag reflex, you're learning to control it, to hold it back.

Take the banana and ease it all the way in, but instead of pulling it out, see how long you can leave it there. The first couple times it will be a strange sight to see a banana almost disappear completely down your throat, then reappear again, but it is definitely worth it...

After about a month of practice like this, I could just sit for a minute or more with almost the entire banana down my throat.

ALSO: I went through a period where I could get the banana really far down my throat, but my gag reflex just kept "firing." What I did was just shove the banana down and let my throat contract, contract, contract, but left the banana in. This was REALLY helpful in gaining full control over the muscles down there. Again, you want to feel what's contracting, so you can learn how to hold it back.

5) After you can do step 4 easily, start working on bigger bananas. It is up to you if you want to try and increase the girth/length (or both...) that you put down--either one will help you when you're in the heat of it...

Just keep practicing/increasing the size as big as you can/care to.

6) Practice on some real dicks.

So, there it is, simple, straightforward, but apparently not a lot of people think to do this. Now I can deep throat a 9 inch cock with no problems, much to the glee of whomever is on the receiving end. For some reason guys just like seeing a girl's lips all the way down at the base of their dick...

Hope this was helpful! If anyone else has any other tips/anecdotes, please feel free to share! Happy deep throating!

It isn't so much seeing her lips all the way to the bottom of his dick it's how kong it takes her to start the slide all over again without breaking mouth to skin contact

I learned with a 10"long realistic dildo. Found out real soon that I could be very good at it. A year later I got to do it with a real .guy. Mmmm! I was hooked. :eek:

"Oh, that is ...so sad... How did she die?"
"Deep throating an overripe banana"

hsugh.gif

Lol now thats cold lol

One of the sexual things I've done that I'm most proud of is getting rid of my gag reflex. I mentioned this in a few of my posts here on Lit, and I have gotten a few messages from some of the other ladies (and a couple guys) asking exactly how to do it, so I decided to make a little how-to.

In high school, I got the chance to hook up with a guy I had wanted to get with for a really long time. We snuck off to a bedroom alone and started fooling around. After I started sucking his dick, he told me he wanted to go down "all the way." Now, this guy ended up having one of the biggest dicks I've ever seen, even 10 years later, but I didn't know that it was larger than average at the time. I tried a few times to get it down my throat, but just couldn't, kept choking, gagging, etc. I just couldn't swallow a dick that big all the way. I finished sucking him off, and he acted like he was into it, but I heard from one of my girlfriends that he was going around school saying that I didn't know how to give a good blowjob, which I wasn't going to stand for.

So over the course of about a month and a half, I practiced and practiced every day, and figured out how to control my gag reflex.

Essentially I just put something down my throat and held it there as long as I could, figuring out what muscles I had to focus on to keep from gagging. I tried a few different things, including a carrot, my vibrator and a bottle of hair gel, but really the best thing I found was one of the most obvious: bananas.

Peeled bananas work best for several reasons. First, the texture of a banana is much closer to the feeling of a real guys' dick than a carrot or a vibrator, and a banana can show you when your teeth have mistakenly gotten into the mix, which a plastic vibrator can't. Bananas are also curved, like most guys' dicks. And finally, possibly most important: they come in lots of different shapes and sizes.

I started with shorter, thinner bananas, and just worked my way up to long, thick ones.

When i first started i did this in a mirror, because watching yourself also helps you get better control.

1) Start with your peeled banana, and open your mouth as wide as possible.

If you want you can just lick/suck the banana for a few seconds to get it slippery. Not essential though.

2) Just ease the banana down towards your throat slowly, and if you start to gag, just pull it out and try again. But pay attention to what it actually FEELS like when you gag--don't just try and ignore the sensation. You want to know what muscles you need to think about.

Try and relax your neck/throat as much as possible.

Use a little bit of an in-out rhythm, maybe on a count of two seconds, so its IN (1 second) out (2nd second).

After a few days of practice, you'll find you can actually begin to hold back or at least delay when you gag, and you'll be able to push it past your uvula/tonsils. If you haven't done it, having something pressing against the very back of your throat DOES feel strange, and may make you gag again, but just keep fighting it.

3) Keep this up, and you'll find after a week or two that you can put the banana farther and farther down and pull it back out with less and less gagging.

4) After you can stand the feeling of the banana just going down past your tonsils, what you need to do is start pushing it in and holding it down there. Basically you want to practice just having something that big in your mouth/throat for a long period of time. Remember, you aren't getting RID of your gag reflex, you're learning to control it, to hold it back.

Take the banana and ease it all the way in, but instead of pulling it out, see how long you can leave it there. The first couple times it will be a strange sight to see a banana almost disappear completely down your throat, then reappear again, but it is definitely worth it...

After about a month of practice like this, I could just sit for a minute or more with almost the entire banana down my throat.

ALSO: I went through a period where I could get the banana really far down my throat, but my gag reflex just kept "firing." What I did was just shove the banana down and let my throat contract, contract, contract, but left the banana in. This was REALLY helpful in gaining full control over the muscles down there. Again, you want to feel what's contracting, so you can learn how to hold it back.

5) After you can do step 4 easily, start working on bigger bananas. It is up to you if you want to try and increase the girth/length (or both...) that you put down--either one will help you when you're in the heat of it...

Just keep practicing/increasing the size as big as you can/care to.

6) Practice on some real dicks.

So, there it is, simple, straightforward, but apparently not a lot of people think to do this. Now I can deep throat a 9 inch cock with no problems, much to the glee of whomever is on the receiving end. For some reason guys just like seeing a girl's lips all the way down at the base of their dick...

Hope this was helpful! If anyone else has any other tips/anecdotes, please feel free to share! Happy deep throating!

wonder if it would help you with my12 inch BBC lol

banana

believe it or not but practiceing with a banana is not that crazy as you may thank,lol of strip clubs I hear have bananas sucking contest with the strippers.

To a little more mind blowing feeling for the those on the receiving end is to rotate your hand or wrist about 90 degrees as you go up and down. something else is rub your tongue on the underside of his dick once you are all the way down. The texture of the top of the tongue adds more stimulation.

My wife is wanting to get past her gag reflex and the banana idea isn't working. We have considered getting a Slim Jim duo for her to try to train her gag reflex's with.

Has anyone tried using a dildo to learn with? The Slim Jim duo (Jelly) is narrow so she is hoping it will work for her in the beginning and she can get past the reflex with it, we have tried the Albolene on me as well but are considering using Coconut oil with a dildo to help her. Thoughts?

Suggest using one that has some flexibility like the Real Skin Latin American Whoppers Vibrating Dong 7 Inch .. Works great!

great thread. I must admit it is on my sexual bucket list to have someone deep throat me. I have never had anyone who could. :-(

Back