Movies!

callinectes said:
On a lighter note..I took my daughter to see Bridge to Terabithia earlier this week. It was very well done and I enjoyed it as much as she did. Anna Sophia Robb has a bright career ahead of her, she is a fine young actress.

I'm surprised to hear that it was good. I'm glad to hear it. It looked like such a retread of so many other films but then again so did Eragon to me. I haven't seen either one for that reason.

Fury :rose:

naxalite0906 said:
I watched a film called "brick" the other night.. very strange film noir type movie with very strange dialogue.. I think it is something I would have to watch again, but I definately enjoyed it the first time around. Anyone seen it?

I haven't but "very strange" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Why did you enjoy it? That might help me know if I would.

callinectes said:
I finally had a chance to watch Hotel Rwanda last night. Don Chedle's performance was superb. This movie truly touched me, one bit of dialogue in particular stood out:

An American reporter has shot footage of Tutsis literally being slaughtered in the streets and is making arrangements to upload it to the American and European media. Don Chedle's character (Paul) expresses relief that help will finally be on the way now that the world will see how horrible the situation in Rwanda is. The reporter sadly tells him it won't make a difference. Paul can't believe help won't be forthcoming. The reporter says "People will look at the TV and say 'that's awful' and then go back to eating dinner."

The truth in that statement is painfully real. My blood ran cold when I heard it.

Tonight I am watching Rabbit Proof Fence. It is based on the true story of three aboriginal girls who were taken from their homes and sent across the country to be taught how to integrate into white culture. I find it interesting that the white Australians did the same thing the Mormons did 100 years earlier..essentially kidnapping Native American children and sending them back east to be educated. All done in the name of Christianity, of course.

Sorry, feeling a bit cynical today.

Hotel Rwanda was a good movie and a very sad, rather horrible story about events that should have never happened. It sort of reminded me of Black Hawk Down that way. Of course Hotel R was less stark overall. What really gets my goat is that things like this are still happening and still no one is trying to stop it.

I haven't seen Rabbit Proof Fence it sounds like another heartbreaking story as well.

cymbline said:
This movie was pretty good. It reminded me of when I was a kid playing with my sisters. We had to use our imagination as we did not have all this tech stuff they do now.

I saw Ghost Rider the other night. First of all I am a huge Nick Cage fan. This movie has gotten bad reviews. I thought is was okay. Yeah, some of the lines were cheesy and the acting too. But the CGI - outstanding. The movie looked like, the dark colors, of a comic book. I think there was only one time were the imagine looked fake.

Hehehe, I always tell my kids that if they are bored that is a good thing because only then can their imaginations really make something happen. They hate it when I tell them that. Of course that is followed by, I can certainly think of something for you to do. They hate that too.

I didn't have anyone to play with most of the time. So I had to become more than one person and use a lot of imagination when I played. That has lead to some skills that I've found a way to put to use today.

cymbline said:
Never saw the movie The Majestic. I did look it up as it did not sound familiar. I might have to check that one out.

I do want to see Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. I don't care for Adam Sandler's funny movies. I saw Drunk Punch Love and Click. I really enjoyed Click. You got a smart funny serious Adam.

I like most Sandler films. They are what I call stupid funny.

That's why I don't like Sandler. It's just stupid funny, and I can't stand his voice. I don't watch fran dresher in anything either because I can't stand her voice.

cymbline said:
Never saw the movie The Majestic. I did look it up as it did not sound familiar. I might have to check that one out.

I do want to see Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. I don't care for Adam Sandler's funny movies. I saw Drunk Punch Love and Click. I really enjoyed Click. You got a smart funny serious Adam.

I had at one time Punch Drunk Love and all I can say what a freaky movie. Adam's character had some serious issues in that movie, but somehow he overcome them.

Inconsequential said:
That's why I don't like Sandler. It's just stupid funny, and I can't stand his voice. I don't watch fran dresher in anything either because I can't stand her voice.

I can't stand her voice but his I can.

leeroy jenkins said:
I had at one time Punch Drunk Love and all I can say what a freaky movie. Adam's character had some serious issues in that movie, but somehow he overcome them.

I didn't enjoy that one.

callinectes said:
I don't enjoy most Adam Sandler movies but I thought 50 First Dates was really good. I suppose you could call his character in more serious and a bit smarter than others he has played.

I forgot about this movie. I am not one for romantic comedies, but this was a good one.

FurryFury said:
I haven't but "very strange" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Why did you enjoy it? That might help me know if I would.

Its just strange because the dialogue like that from an old detective/spy movie..
Its a recent film set in a school... but its a detective story.. was definitely an interesting watch.

Bridge to Terabithia may seem like a retread but I think that is because there has been a glut of fantasy movies lately. The Lord of the Rings made millions, Harry Potter is huge and the movie execs want more, specially the ones that will bring in parents and their children. Terabithia was made from a book written back in the 70s I believe. I cannot remember the authors name but she wrote it because of her child losing a friend. We read it in sixth grade english and I think that has been the case in a lot of schools.
Eragon seems like a retread because it is. A lot of people love it but it is easy to see where the influences came from. Its practically a merging of Star Wars with Lord of the Rings and not at all hidden. A young man lives on a farm with his uncle. The uncle is killed by soldiers of a evil king. Kid is rescued by a older man who is the last of a secret order. It turns out that the kid could learn to have the power of this order. He learns enough to be dangerous while running from the kings minions and attempting to rescue a princess. He is able to rescue the girl but his mentor dies and then there is a big battle where the kings represenative is killed. Sound familiar? For all of that, I found it enjoyable as long as I could turn off the writer in me. I found myself predicting events. It was developed from a trilogy of books written by Christopher Paolini who was arond 20 or sowhen he was first published. He was homeschooled and his parents company self published his book and it was then that it came to the attention of a big publishing house. The third book is still to come out. Wikipedia has a great article on all the places he pulled his idea. My stepdaughter loves the books and so does my brother who can be quite critical. He agrees that he copied all this stuff but says he made it his own enough so that its a good read. For dragons, I prefer the Pern series.

I'm finishing up season seven of Buffy with my girl. What a depressing season. Maybe the featurettes will show me why the writers did what they did?

FurryFury said:
I'm finishing up season seven of Buffy with my girl. What a depressing season. Maybe the featurettes will show me why the writers did what they did?

I :heart: Buffy

I haven't watched one single episode of Buffy, or Angel...

Firefly otoh, probably my all time favorite tv series, and thats saying a lot.

cymbline said:

I do too! Except there were two really depressing seasons. Season seven the last one and the one where they tore our beloved characters apart and in essence, made them the monsters.

ghosst_K&H said:
I haven't watched one single episode of Buffy, or Angel...

Firefly otoh, probably my all time favorite tv series, and thats saying a lot.

Angel was great, (and he was hot) well the whole thing with his son was...just rubbed me the wrong way. I did not care for the actor.

I loved Firefly. Science fiction/ western mixed in with quick wit can't go wrong with that. I wish they had not canceled the show.

FurryFury said:
I do too! Except there were two really depressing seasons. Season seven the last one and the one where they tore our beloved characters apart and in essence, made them the monsters.

I am trying to shake my brain and figure out which season you are talking of. :eek: You think I would know as I have seen all seasons many times.

I am super way excited. The Last King of Scotland is in town, going to go see that this weekend. Also want to catch Black Snake Moan. Have been hearing/reading good reviews about it. But I thought that I read somewhere where the movie did not do well at Sundance. Could be wrong about that.

cymbline said:
Also want to catch Black Snake Moan. Have been hearing/reading good reviews about it. But I thought that I read somewhere where the movie did not do well at Sundance. Could be wrong about that.

I'm curious about this one too!

cymbline said:
I am trying to shake my brain and figure out which season you are talking of. :eek: You think I would know as I have seen all seasons many times.

I am super way excited. The Last King of Scotland is in town, going to go see that this weekend. Also want to catch Black Snake Moan. Have been hearing/reading good reviews about it. But I thought that I read somewhere where the movie did not do well at Sundance. Could be wrong about that.

In season six all of the beloved characters broken apart internally and became their own monsters. The best ep of the season was the musical Once More With Feeling.

Let us know how Black Snake Moan is! I've already heard from quite a few that The Last King of Scotland was good.

cymbline said:
Angel was great, (and he was hot) well the whole thing with his son was...just rubbed me the wrong way. I did not care for the actor.

I loved Firefly. Science fiction/ western mixed in with quick wit can't go wrong with that. I wish they had not canceled the show.

I hated when they killed Doyle.

I did not like how the women on the show fucked so many like sorority little sisters to a frat house.

I did not like what they did with Connor.

Most of all I did not like how they didn't use Spike to the best advantage in the last season.

However I did enjoy the show very much most of the time, Buffy too. They were smart, funny shows that swept across the span of human experience in many ways. The shows created questions and sometimes uncomfortable answers to dilemmas we all face and decide upon.

I tried to watch Firefly when it came on but it didn't do much for me. I do keep hearing how good it is. So if I see it in a box set I may see if that doesn't change the whole experience for me.

FurryFury said:
In season six all of the beloved characters broken apart internally and became their own monsters. The best ep of the season was the musical Once More With Feeling.

Let us know how Black Snake Moan is! I've already heard from quite a few that The Last King of Scotland was good.

I went and saw Black Snake Moan it was powerful and it blew me away. I thought I knew where this movie was going, but then it turned and surprised me. Some of the scenes were intense and disturbing to watch. Jackson has an impressive blues singing voice. I am going to have to check out the sound track to this flick.

cymbline said:
I went and saw Black Snake Moan it was powerful and it blew me away. I thought I knew where this movie was going, but then it turned and surprised me. Some of the scenes were intense and disturbing to watch. Jackson has an impressive blues singing voice. I am going to have to check out the sound track to this flick.

Sounds interesting.

We watched Hard Candy tonight. It could have been better. Of course I couldn't help thinking that Dateline's To Catch a Predator could take a few ideas from this movie. LMFAO.

Last edited:
Back