The BDSM Book Club Discussion Thread

I'd like to put this book up for the February BOTM.

Brie Learns the Art of Submission: Submissive Training Center by Red Phoenix

Amazon sez:

Join Brie as she discovers the erotic world of submission...
#1 Best Seller in Erotica - Brie Learns the Art of Submission (Volume 1 of 3)

Brie Bennett's life changes the day Sir comes to her tiny tobacco shop. His invitation to the Submissive Training Center is about to rock this young woman's world. The renowned school is famous for its elite submissive instruction. She has no idea what will be asked of her or the boundaries that will be pushed. One thing is certain: Brie is about to learn more about herself in six weeks than she has over the previous twenty-two years.

From formal classes, hands-on practicums and weekly auctions, Brie will confront her deepest fears and desires. In the process, she will also forge lifelong friendships with fellow submissives and fall for several of the Center's skilled Doms.

As graduation day approaches things begin to unravel, forcing Brie to make an unexpected choice of Master. Which Dom will ultimately earn her devotion and capture courageous Brie's heart?

I found Master At Arms intriguing but frustrating. I don't typically like short stories. I wanted to know more. I story I most want to see followed up on is that of the waiter with the slave girl who is pregnant.

Agreed, but I probably won't because it's most likely similar to nobody's angel.

Nobody's Angel was better for me. I liked it okay. However, I was not happy with the pushing a girl who has trauma to relive things so quickly with the admonitions "breathe" and/or "just trust me". I suspect in a real life situation rather than fiction she would freak the fuck out and rightly so.

That didn't bug me so much, because story lines need to move - if they actually wrote a story about someone who's dealt with trauma like that and how long it takes them to deal with it, it would be the length of war and peace, and just as boring.

Also I find it hard to believe that the former waiter would suddenly be good at and enjoy so much work at the club "training" subs.

Speaking of training subs, I know it's quite a fantasy but damn it, doesn't every dom/me want different things? It makes no sense to me. AT. All.

Now to other fantasies I don't believe in.

I do not believe in love at first sight. That was a big thing in these stories.

I do not believe that people who are dead will advise you on your love life and send you someone.

Agreed and agreed. That said, I could see someone who's finally ready to move on having a dream to give them some sort of permission - I don't believe it's actually that person's loved one, but their brain telling them it's okay to move on.

I do not believe that a dom will just know what you are thinking or feeling and/or how much you can take and when they first meet you.

But still the women were gutsy. I like that. The men had good hearts. Sometimes they fit each other well and that is something I do really enjoy.

I absolutely want to know more.

I dropped the ball in December, and it was my own suggestion. I'm sorry!

I like the two stories as teasers for the rest of the series, but they definitely don't stand well on their own. The writing (and/or editing) improves over the course of the series.

I have issues with the whole BDSM club notion, but that's probably jealousy talking. We even have a club, of sorts, here but not nearly as delightful-sounding as the one in the books. (I've read other books about other clubs, and they all seem too-good-to-be true. <pout>)

I also take issue with the "all soldiers have difficulties to overcome" formula because this series kind of turns it into formula. I know, very, very well, how many vets have been affected, but I think that while it raises consciousness it also dilutes awareness by making it seem commonplace. I dunno, it's a fine line.

I like this book and I like the series. I got caught up to the point where I'm a fangirl on the authors' Facebook page. LOL

Interesting points. I would agree. Also I don't see BDSM as the mental health fix for all either.

I dropped the ball in December, and it was my own suggestion. I'm sorry!

I like the two stories as teasers for the rest of the series, but they definitely don't stand well on their own. The writing (and/or editing) improves over the course of the series.

I have issues with the whole BDSM club notion, but that's probably jealousy talking. We even have a club, of sorts, here but not nearly as delightful-sounding as the one in the books. (I've read other books about other clubs, and they all seem too-good-to-be true. <pout>)

I also take issue with the "all soldiers have difficulties to overcome" formula because this series kind of turns it into formula. I know, very, very well, how many vets have been affected, but I think that while it raises consciousness it also dilutes awareness by making it seem commonplace. I dunno, it's a fine line.

I like this book and I like the series. I got caught up to the point where I'm a fangirl on the authors' Facebook page. LOL

Good point about moving the story along and about the brain fooling one into thinking they hear from a ghost.

Agreed, but I probably won't because it's most likely similar to nobody's angel.

That didn't bug me so much, because story lines need to move - if they actually wrote a story about someone who's dealt with trauma like that and how long it takes them to deal with it, it would be the length of war and peace, and just as boring.

Agreed and agreed. That said, I could see someone who's finally ready to move on having a dream to give them some sort of permission - I don't believe it's actually that person's loved one, but their brain telling them it's okay to move on.

Should we take a break in February or does someone have a BDSM book they'd like to read and nominate?

Should we take a break in February or does someone have a BDSM book they'd like to read and nominate?

Maybe after the Brie book? I really enjoyed that and want to see what others think. and I'm waiting for a few more days before I post my "Beyond" review. (Another series that's completely sucked me in.)

The Brie Book? I'd forgotten about it! Yay! Thank you! :rose:

Our February 2016 BDSM BOTM is: Brie Learns the Art of Submission by Red Phoenix.

I finished Beyond last night. I need to write up my thoughts today which I will share at the end of the month!

Maybe after the Brie book? I really enjoyed that and want to see what others think. and I'm waiting for a few more days before I post my "Beyond" review. (Another series that's completely sucked me in.)

Now taking nominations for BDSM BOTM for March 2016 and beyond.

Our February 2016 BDSM BOTM is Brie Learns the Art of Submission by Red Phoenix.

Good point about moving the story along and about the brain fooling one into thinking they hear from a ghost.

Most dreams are just your subconscious telling you what you already know. A lady at my church found out I know a bit about dreams so she described a recurring nightmare she was struggling with. Her nightmare, interpreted, was her subconscious telling her that she was falling asleep. She gaped for a second and said, "Well, I know that!" lol

I had one recently. Can't remember what it was now but the only interpretation that has ever made sense to me was Jungian Goddess type. My girl immediately shared with that in mind what it could mean and it worked for me. The upside is once I understand a dream I have it less.

Most dreams are just your subconscious telling you what you already know. A lady at my church found out I know a bit about dreams so she described a recurring nightmare she was struggling with. Her nightmare, interpreted, was her subconscious telling her that she was falling asleep. She gaped for a second and said, "Well, I know that!" lol

I had one recently. Can't remember what it was now but the only interpretation that has ever made sense to me was Jungian Goddess type. My girl immediately shared with that in mind what it could mean and it worked for me. The upside is once I understand a dream I have it less.

Me, too. lol I hope that worked for the lady with the reoccurring nightmare. lol

Beyond Shame by Kit Rocha 3/5

355 pages

A few months ago I read Silver (Humanotica #1) by Darcy Abriel I was hoping it would be more like Beyond Shame by Kit Rocha but it was just not good and I would call it ridiculous.

Did you like the book overall or not?

A little bit . . .

Do you feel it portrays BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

Somewhat positive, but not really my way.

Did you like the sex scenes in the book?
Most of the time there were multiple people in them, which sometimes works for me but not in this case, perhaps because it seemed too casual.

Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

I liked the feisty women.

Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

I might like to know what happens with Lex.

What did you like best about this selection?

Women being free to make their own decisions.

What did you like the least?

Not into orgies and the like. Didn't like the world at all that this book was placed in.

How would you have changed the story?

Not sure.

Unwound: The Mastered Series could be a good read since we read Bound in December 2014 and it was pretty good. March 2016 BOTM?

The deafening silence says take a break.

I get it. You would rather do your taxes.

:eek:

Help required please
I was reading a few pages on here and I noticed a book that got mentioned. The title was Dutiful but I can't remember the author ?
Thanks

Was it perhaps, Dutiful: a love story of consensual sadomasochism by JP Tate?

Help required please
I was reading a few pages on here and I noticed a book that got mentioned. The title was Dutiful but I can't remember the author ?
Thanks

Back