Help! How to start a story.

There was someone on the Wattpad boards the other day offering to pay money for someone to write their sex scenes for them. I'm not sure how the mods would respond if someone posted there asking for money. Usually when people ask for "payment" they say things like "You have to follow me and leave a comment on my stories."

You could probably advertise on Fiverr about writing sex scenes for people. It would be ghost writing and you wouldn't own the work nor would you get credit for it, but you'd get paid.

I could be argumentative and say that as soon as you imagine somebody saying or doing something, you've created a character. :D
Well yes, but in my case the character takes a bit of time to emerge, like a chrysalis. In my last long piece, for example, the story starts with a recount of a meeting I really had in the street with a stranger; but I didn't know anything about Madelyn until she refuses to share a business card. "Oh no, Mister Cain, I don't do that."

That was the ah ha moment - I wrote it, but then had to establish why she "doesn't do that," which begs the question, what does she do? But the writing started with the incident in the street, nothing more. She wasn't pre-conceived in my mind, other than a tall girl I met in the street. Similarly, another lead character "arrived" unannounced, and her story then became central. But not with any conscious, pre-conceived idea about her, for the purposes of the story. I didn't even know her name until the paragraph where Madelyn asks for it.

My characters and plot (to the extent that I have plot) emerge from that first tiny, spontaneous moment. Seeing how most other folk commenting here in AH seem to ponder their plot or characters well before they start writing, I think I'm the exception that possibly proves the rule (as Simon observes). Which again illustrates, there are no absolutes to the writing process, no "rules," just the multitude of ways people do it. Thank god, or our stories would all be the same, and how dull would that be? :)

Well yes, but in my case the character takes a bit of time to emerge, like a chrysalis. In my last long piece, for example, the story starts with a recount of a meeting I really had in the street with a stranger; but I didn't know anything about Madelyn until she refuses to share a business card. "Oh no, Mister Cain, I don't do that."

That was the ah ha moment - I wrote it, but then had to establish why she "doesn't do that," which begs the question, what does she do? But the writing started with the incident in the street, nothing more. She wasn't pre-conceived in my mind, other than a tall girl I met in the street. Similarly, another lead character "arrived" unannounced, and her story then became central. But not with any conscious, pre-conceived idea about her, for the purposes of the story. I didn't even know her name until the paragraph where Madelyn asks for it.

My characters and plot (to the extent that I have plot) emerge from that first tiny, spontaneous moment. Seeing how most other folk commenting here in AH seem to ponder their plot or characters well before they start writing, I think I'm the exception that possibly proves the rule (as Simon observes). Which again illustrates, there are no absolutes to the writing process, no "rules," just the multitude of ways people do it. Thank god, or our stories would all be the same, and how dull would that be? :)

I think your description of your process raises a deeper issue. As you said, the character emerges. To what extent did you create her, and to what extent did she emerge from some ur-woman archetype in your sub-conscious? Even if, as you compose your story, you think of your characters as just generic man/ generic woman, or whatever, your background and experiences have created that being in your mind before you type the first word.

Neil Young said that he doesn't write songs, the songs already existed and he just channels them from their ethereal state into accessible sound. (Or at least, that's what my grandmother told me. ;) )

Try working backwards.

If you have an idea for a sex scene, say in an office, then keep thinking; 'how did it get there? how did that happen?'

Keep expanding on the backstory, and eventually you'll have your begging.

HeyAll is spot on. I create a "what if" and the story usually flows from there. Put your characters in that world and make sure the sex makes sense within the context of the world you have created.

Years ago, I sold story starter kits. A box with a picture on the front and ten thousand words or so inside. They sold like hotcakes for a while and then someone read the fine print on the side of the box. "Some assembly required"

As in all good things, there is work involved.

ETA: I'm out of the story starter kits but I do have a few Winning Contest story kits remaining. Please PM me for categories and prices. :D

Last edited:
I think your description of your process raises a deeper issue. As you said, the character emerges. To what extent did you create her, and to what extent did she emerge from some ur-woman archetype in your sub-conscious? Even if, as you compose your story, you think of your characters as just generic man/ generic woman, or whatever, your background and experiences have created that being in your mind before you type the first word.
Spot on. That's the bit that fascinates me - where do these women come from? My men are easy, they're all variants of me - the younger me (my Alex character), my current want to be fantasy me (my Adam character) or variants thereof. I'm too lazy to conjure up alternate males, so I just write who I know, my own fantasies, desires. My little Sara story was a contemplation of that, the writer's muse.

But my primary women, where do they come from? Some have been loose portraits of women I've known (not portraits of loose women, I hasten to clarify ;)), but others have steamed up from my subconscious, bringing something up from my psyche, I have no doubt about that. I'm a fan of Jung's anima and animus ideas, and his archetypes, so I think there's a lot of that in my creations. Madelyn, for example, is without doubt Adam's female side looking back at him, but Juliette is based on no-one I know. She's a sprite, a faery creature.

My Dark Chronicles play with the yin and yang of white and black witches with the man trapped in the middle - my Maerlyn character is just a cantankerous Adam, when all is said and done. I've got a sibcest story where there's a long mirroring scene - the male and female version of each other making love with themselves; more Freud than Jung, possibly. The fact that my real life sister is the same height as me is just a bonus.

You're absolutely right - my stream of consciousness writing obviously taps into something going on inside my head - which is where the fascination for me comes from, in writing. We often blather on about "why do we write?" In my case, I've no doubt it's discovering what's going on inside my head. I'm on my own therapist's couch. Because erotica taps into very personal, very intimate feelings and thoughts, I've always thought writing it not so much adds deeper layers, but unpeels those layers.

I've written apple cores, now I can write onions. I think I'll go shopping ;).

Years ago, I sold story starter kits. A box with a picture on the front and ten thousand words or so inside. They sold like hotcakes for a while and then someone read the fine print on the side of the box. "Some assembly required"

As in all good things, there is work involved.

ETA: I'm out of the story starter kits but I do have a few Winning Contest story kits remaining. Please PM me for categories and prices. :D

Are you out of the "freeze dried water" again? That stuff was good.

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

I’m a reader, but I know what I like.
Currently I’m reading Priest by Sierra Simone. I cannot recommend this book enough.
Not many characters, and the two main ones are so well written.
Someone here mentioned you start with and idea.
This idea was, What if a Priest with principles and a conviction falls for a former stripper looking for forgiveness and guidance, and is lonely within her life.
The backstory is at 17 yo, he comes across his sisters body hanging in the garage. She had been abused for years by their family priest, and no one knew, or saw the signs that she was suicidal (sp?)
The priest while in university, receives a calling. His mission is to help rid of rogue priests within the priesthood, and on his ordination, he goes to a church reeling from their priest who had failed them in so many ways. He starts to heal the congregation, he goes to bars, etc to help bring ppl back to the church. He starts many programs, and his effort is paying off. Male bible study went from 3 to a large group that now needs to be split into two.
Then he meets poppy seeking meaning in her life and forgiveness for something she had done a month prior. She is sex on legs and they fall for each other. They fuck and pretend there a couple at night, but he sneaks back to the rectory before daylight.
It can’t go on. What are the choices? How can he choose one over the other. He wants both, but he knows he can’t and he doesn’t want to loose either.
I think the best characters are flawed characters who try to make the right choices for the right reason, but it may not be the best choice, or the easiest, for either of the main characters.
I’m only 60% through the book, and so this is where I leave it here.
All the best to you in your endeavour.

Funny, the one I'm writing now is of a priest who cycles between sex and the bottle and remorse and has been sent off to the beach to decide whether he wants to just be a priest. (Sending him to the beach probably wasn't the church's best idea.)

Funny, the one I'm writing now is of a priest who cycles between sex and the bottle and remorse and has been sent off to the beach to decide whether he wants to just be a priest. (Sending him to the beach probably wasn't the church's best idea.)
I would love to see how you flesh out the character, and understand, without it being told, why he has become so jaded.

I would love to see how you flesh out the character, and understand, without it being told, why he has become so jaded.

Pro tennis career cut short at the 1998 Lipton ATP tournament in Miami by a car plunge off the Florida Keys causeway after a night of partying in Key West and during an argument with his older tennis pro dominator who was dabbling when the first affair protag was serious, followed by what he'd thought was an escape from all that into the priesthood--but wasn't, and it all being brought to head now because the older tennis player has a posthumous tell-all book coming out. (And in the world or erotica it's nicer to think of it as conflicted than jaded.) :)

Last edited:
So here it is. I’m fabulous at writing the sex part of the story and I have written a ton within the last year. I have been told I have a way with words.

But my problem is...I can not seem to figure out how to start it. The stuff I am doing currently is just for fun with my man. Most of the time I’m writing about sexual interactions or desires we are having.

But I would love to turn these actually into stories I could possibly sell. Maybe there’s a place to find prompts?

As a last resort- are there people out there that buy the sex scenes for stories? If so where can I find them.

I think the short answer is, just try writing a full story from start to finish. Take a sex scene. How’s the story going to end? Write the end. Steal the plot from a story you like. Rewrite to suit yourself. How did the characters get to the sex? Write that as well. Edit. Submit on Literotica. Repeat until it starts to glow naturally from your fingertips. Write write and write some more. Read books. Read books on writing. Maybe try writing workshops. Alas, there is no easy path. It prompts is your sticking point, try Pinterest. Read the news. Watch people. There’s a prompt a second in real life.

How to start... let's see...

The torrential rain was pounding against my back as I pounded into Silvia's kitty as hard as I could. Then the truck rolled over us, killing us both...

:devil::D

How to start... let's see...

The torrential rain was pounding against my back as I pounded into Silvia's kitty as hard as I could. Then the truck rolled over us, killing us both...

:devil::D

No problem, tell the rest in flashback. Perhaps as ghosts, or waiting in line to see Pete.

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

I think the short answer is, just try writing a full story from start to finish. Take a sex scene. How’s the story going to end? Write the end. Steal the plot from a story you like. Rewrite to suit yourself. How did the characters get to the sex? Write that as well. Edit. Submit on Literotica. Repeat until it starts to glow naturally from your fingertips. Write write and write some more. Read books. Read books on writing. Maybe try writing workshops. Alas, there is no easy path. It prompts is your sticking point, try Pinterest. Read the news. Watch people. There’s a prompt a second in real life.

Thank you. Even though I've submitted stories this still gives me inspiration.

Sometimes when I've finished a story I get the feeling - or fear - that I've somehow now "lost" the ability. The only answer is to get working on an unfinished one or start a new one (or do both actually!)

Pete who????? :confused:

Thanks for the love and kisses. Back at you. :heart::kiss:

Saint Peter at the "Pearly Gates."

There is a line; it's moving slowly. You and Silvia strike up a conversation with the skydiver in front of you. After he tells his story he says, "so what were you two doing here."

"Well," you answer, "we had been listening to the Beatles 'Why don't we do it in the road,' and..."

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

Last edited:
I am a new member in Lit. I have 2 erotic novels written; each one is 110,000 + words. I use an autobiographical start. Typically an event or situation from my past that I alter and take in a fantasized erotic direction. I use my erotic writing to turn myself on not to publish. I fill in the sex acts in the narratives from fantasies I have during multiple male orgasm sessions I do. These extended non ejaculation orgasms usually inspire my writing. The sessions are 1-2 hours of orgasms that make me have explicit erotic fantasies during them. My stories allow me to act out edgy - forbidden sex acts without actually acting them out.

I am a new member in Lit. I have 2 erotic novels written; each one is 110,000 + words. I use an autobiographical start. Typically an event or situation from my past that I alter and take in a fantasized erotic direction. I use my erotic writing to turn myself on not to publish. I fill in the sex acts in the narratives from fantasies I have during multiple male orgasm sessions I do. These extended non ejaculation orgasms usually inspire my writing. The sessions are 1-2 hours of orgasms that make me have explicit erotic fantasies during them. My stories allow me to act out edgy - forbidden sex acts without actually acting them out.

Well dang! While I'd love to read some of your stories...I think the biggest money making opportunity you have going for you is to sell a 'How To Guide' to desperate men on how to have a life of one to two hour orgasms!

But in all seriousness, welcome. I hope you might reconsider your decision and publish some of your writing.

I am considering running them in here in serial form (chapters) to get feedback. I have been told by friends on line that have read one of them that they are decent. I would be curious to see what the talented folks in here would think. As to Lisa .... sure a girl does help but I do them through prostate massage with an inserted massager and without a massager by doing kegels and internal contractions. The stories tell about the techniques but there are also forums on line of many practitioners, of which I am an older more experienced one. I have been doing them for 14 years now.

If anyone is interested

I am considering running them in here in serial form (chapters) to get feedback. I have been told by friends on line that have read one of them that they are decent. I would be curious to see what the talented folks in here would think. As to Lisa .... sure a girl does help but I do them through prostate massage with an inserted massager and without a massager by doing kegels and internal contractions. The stories tell about the techniques but there are also forums on line of many practitioners, of which I am an older more experienced one. I have been doing them for 14 years now.

If anyone is interested

Your best bet is to publish something and get feedback. Just do it.

How does it *not* start? It doesn't start in the post office. It doesn't start in the grocery store. It didn't start while renewing your Joan Didion at the library. And it didn't start when you thought "hey, you know what I haven't seen in a while? Jeepers Creepers. I watched that movie a billion times as a kid. I wonder if I can rent it? I heard the director was a creep from hell." Or hell, maybe it did start in one of those places.

But it did start somewhere. You didn't just end up in a room shouting, "oh baby, oh baby." There must have been a glance. A dirty thought. Making supper together. Dirty messages. Asking him to renew your Joan Didion and he did and then you imagined him in the library and now you're answering the door wrapped in glad wrap.

You know, it can start wherever. Tire swing, garden, porch, train, shower, cleaning. It doesn't matter. It can start anywhere. Even at the end. "There I was, lads, cum in my hair and a gleam in my eye. Somebody's shoe balanced perfectly on the edge of a fan blade, swishing round and round. Here's how this shit went down.."

I wish you luck.

If anyone is interested
Your writing is going to improve greatly as you get experience. If you plan to start with a long series of chapters as your first story, your first chapter is going to be your worst. When people see chapter 2 is published, they aren't going to know that it's much better than chapter 1. You're only going to get a modest percentage of those people who read chapter 1 to read chapter 2. Chapter 3 will have a smaller audience. And so on and so on.

I'd suggest starting with a stand-alone story. Publish it, learn from it, and move on to the next story.

Back