The Escape - From Fairy Tale to Reality - Closed for DanFS

It was obvious to Dan that Keesha was restless and wanted to be somewhere where she could be more independent.
As she tested her ankle, it seemed to bear her weight well enough.

He knew of a place in the Moors, a private estate, owned by a friend, where they could be alone, isolated from society, until they needed supplies, at least.
Yes, Moreton Grange Cottage would be perfect. Dan knew his friend, Edward Simms, a city financier, would be engaged on business in London, and only when he came back for a weekend, or short break, would they potentially be disturbed.
Edward had said previously to his school friend he could stay whenever he liked.
Well, now Dan would take him up on his kind offer.

He had many weeks of leave saved up, which he hadn't taken, so he was sure his Commander would give him some time off, as it would give the other junior officers a chance to test their skills.

"Keesha - we can go somewhere more private, where we can recover away from prying eyes. I need to contact a friend to make sure we can stay at his cottage. Would you be willing to stay with me for a while? We could live the life I think you seek, as he has a river, horses and forest on his land."
 
Keesha

"Keesha - we can go somewhere more private, where we can recover away from prying eyes. I need to contact a friend to make sure we can stay at his cottage.”

She liked the idea of more privacy and being away from the many people who she saw moving around beyond her room, not to mention the many people she believed she had met earlier.

”Would you be willing to stay with me for a while? We could live the life I think you seek, as he has a river, horses and forest on his land."

She considered the offer. Dan was the only person she truly felt safe with and was sure she could trust him. Besides the idea of a river, horses and a forest sounded safe and familiar, though she wasn’t sure what he meant when he talked about living the life she sought.

”Yes, I’ll stay with you. Hiding out for a while might be the best idea. It seems I’m far enough away to be safe, but it would do no harm to make sure … “

She knew Lord Kairnford would be angry and that his ego would be insulted. She could only hope that he would not take out that anger upon her family and those he governed. But that was out of her hands. All she could do now is ensure that she made it impossible for them to trace her otherwise her flight and the consequences would all be in vain.

”How soon can we leave?”

She asked, eager to be gone.

”This friend, he can be trusted... ?”

She could not risk a stranger informing on them, should they realise her connection with her jilted bride groom.

”I mean no insult, but you are sure of his allegiances?”

She enquired apologetically.
 
Dan wanted to reassure Keesha.
"My friend Edward has been my friend since I was ten years old. We went through School together. We were so close, many people made the mistake of thinking we were brothers. Have no fear - we will be safe on his land."
He paused for a breath before continuing.

"Edward will give us sanctuary. He will not venture near the cottage if he knows we are there, unless we invite him. He had it built as a boarding house for friends who came to stay. The only other person who would know we are there is his Estate Warden and I know him. We have shared many a glass of whisky over the years, the three of us. They can both be trusted to keep our prescence secret."
He gently touched her elbow, as he smiled.

"I know you meant no disrespect, but you are alone and frightened. Well, you're not alone, now, as you have me to help you."
He held her gaze and kept smiling.
"Let me call him, and I will make the arrangements."

He pulled his mobile phone from a pocket and dialled Edward's number.

"Edward, it's Dan here. How are you?"
"Good old friend, are you still in the Army?"
"Oh Yes, A Captain now, a medic attached to a Recon Company. I like the men, the job is exciting and the pay isn't too bad."

Edward gave a wry chuckle at that.
"Good, good, I'm still in the city, making millions. At least my ex-wife can't touch all that!"
Dan smiled and countered with:
"Ah, the delightful Sandra, who was an angel to your face, and slept with your boss behind your back, before the company fired him for professional misconduct and offered you his job, or so I heard. She took you for half of everything you had back then."
"Indeed, but I am now fully independent and her claims for more money are regularly rebuffed by my legal team. Are you coming to visit old chum, as I have a fine bottle of vintage port which needs your opinion!"

Dan smiled, recalling the last time, they were together.
"I am, Edward, but I am bringing a friend of mine, a young lady who has been displaced by her family.
I was hoping we could stay at the Cottage, for a couple of weeks, as we do not wish to be found."

"Ahhh...I see. Is it a romantic interlude? Or just friends?"
"Just friends for now."
Dan replied with another smile. "Perhaps the Cottage will change that in my favour."
He added, with another smile at Keesha. Whilst he didn't want to take advantage of her, he found her incredibly attractive, and as an Officer and a Gentleman, he would only pursue that path if she made it plain she wanted to travel it with him.

"I will have my staff prepare it at once, Dan, when can we expect you? I'll let Jack, the Warden know."
"How about tomorrow morning, before Lunch?" Dan ventured, as he still had to clear things with his boss, but he didn't see it as a problem.

"Until tomorrow. I'll ring the cottage to arrange a time to visit, once you're settled in, or perhaps you'd both like to come up to the house, for dinner? I'll have the Land Rover left at the Cottage, keys will be in the usual place."
"Thanks, Old friend - I owe you."

"Don't worry, Dan, you always do, but I love how you help me reminisce. Bring something interesting for me, OK?""I will. Goodbye until tomorrow, Edward."
"Until tomorrow."

Edward hung up, and Dan then smiled and said:
"We have the Cottage for a couple of weeks. We will be safe there. Now, I make the other call I have to."

He excused himself, and wasn't long speaking to his Commander who, when Dan explained the injuries to Nick, and his desire to take some well-earned rest, to come back refreshed, agreed it was a good idea. He tried to find out where Dan would be going, but Dan told him he was staying in the EU, and had his mobile phone, so if he had to call, he could speak to him directly. Dan could get back to the Barracks in twenty-four hours, if called up for action.

He re-entered Keesha's room and sat in a chair.

"Well, that's done; we can go tomorrow after Breakfast. Let's get some rest for tonight, OK?"
 
"My friend Edward has been my friend since I was ten years old. We went through School together. We were so close, many people made the mistake of thinking we were brothers. Have no fear - we will be safe on his land."

Keesha nodded, reassured. The man was as a brother, she could ask for no closer bond of trust.

"Edward will give us sanctuary. He will not venture near the cottage if he knows we are there, unless we invite him. He had it built as a boarding house for friends who came to stay. The only other person who would know we are there is his Estate Warden and I know him. We have shared many a glass of whisky over the years, the three of us. They can both be trusted to keep our prescence secret."

There were still words he used which she did not understand, but it seemed that this place would be safe and secure.

"I know you meant no disrespect, but you are alone and frightened. Well, you're not alone, now, as you have me to help you."

She blushed as he gazed at her. She knew she was entirely in his debt and was indeed grateful for his generosity.

"Let me call him, and I will make the arrangements."

She did not know what he meant. She had expected him to send a message ahead of them so that he be forewarned of their arrival. She watched as he drew a small object from his pocket and began to speak.

"Edward, it's Dan here. How are you? .... Oh Yes, A Captain now, a medic attached to a Recon Company. I like the men, the job is exciting and the pay isn't too bad."

It was clear that she was only hearing one half of the conversation.

"Ah, the delightful Sandra, who was an angel to your face, and slept with your boss behind your back, before the company fired him for professional misconduct and offered you his job, or so I heard. She took you for half of everything you had back then."

Keesha blushed as she overheard the men talk. She should not be listening in she knew, but it was impossible to avoid hearing what was being said.

"I am, Edward, but I am bringing a friend of mine, a young lady who has been displaced by her family. I was hoping we could stay at the Cottage, for a couple of weeks, as we do not wish to be found ... Just friends for now... Perhaps the Cottage will change that in my favour."

Dan smiled at her as he spoke, seemingly expecting her to hear his words, which must be for his friend's benefit she decided.

"How about tomorrow morning, before Lunch? ...Thanks, Old friend - I owe you."

She watched as Dan pressed a button and tucked the small object away.

"We have the Cottage for a couple of weeks. We will be safe there. Now, I make the other call I have to."

Keesha was relieved that he left the room to 'make the call' and settled back in her bed, closing her eyes, her mind whirring. So much was new to her, so much she did not understand. She raised a hand to her head, but it felt as if it were clearing now. So what the explanation for this confusion could be she had not a clue.

"Well, that's done; we can go tomorrow after Breakfast.

She opened her eyes seeing Dan seated on a chair by her bed.

"Let's get some rest for tonight, OK?"

She nodded meekly.

"But why is all this so strange? How can it be possible to fly through the sky, to speak to someone who is not in sight, to ... "

She sighed wearily.

"It cannot be that I have travelled so very far that such things as these are possible, unless ... "

She eyed him warily.

"... unless this is a land where magic rules ... I have heard of such tales, of legends, but all is so very different here ... and if not due to the sickness of the brain, I do not understand it ... "
 
Dan realised that his speaking to Edward on the 'phone seemed rather strange to Keesha; judging by the expression on her face.

He held up the phone to her, indicating she should hold it.
"This is my mobile 'phone." He explained. "This allows me to speak to people who aren't here with me.

He replayed in his mind the things she might not have experienced before:
Appearing suddenly amongst his platoon in the Field, The Helicopter, the Hospital room they were now in, even the way the people they had encountered had behaved would seem strange to her.

It occurred to Dan that she would be struggling to adjust to all the new things around her and he would have to keep reassuring her that everything was OK.

"I know all this…" He said, sweeping his arm around him. "Seems strange to you, and must seem like magic, but I can help you here. Just trust me to look after you for a while, please?"
He waited for her to agree, before patting her hand gently.

"Shall we go for a shower? There are lovely showers here."

He reached across to the linen cupboard set into one wall and produced a couple of large, white fluffy towels and handed her one.

"So you can dry yourself afterwards."
He said by way of explanation, as she held it up to examine.

He held out his hand to her and led her to the shower room, where individual cubicle lay along a wall.
There was a larger shower stall, designed for someone in a wheelchair, he guessed, set away from the others, which he now picked out.
Before going inside, he opened the door and pointed out the taps, the shower head and seat, as well as the shampoo and soap dispensers attached to the wall, and explained what they were all for,

He waited for a moment or two, to let this all sink in, before asking her:
"Do you want me to help you, or shall we wash separately?"

He was painfully aware of the possibility she would see this as impropriety, but he wanted to support her as well, so he decided to give her the choice.
 
"This is my mobile 'phone … This allows me to speak to people who aren't here with me.”

She took the object from him, which reassured her that it was safe, but gave her no great explanation or understanding as to how such communication was possible.

"I know all this… Seems strange to you, and must seem like magic, but I can help you here. Just trust me to look after you for a while, please?"

All she could do was not in agreement. What else was there to do? It must be that despite his words he was a great magician as well as a healer, but all along he had assured her that he would help her and keep her safe and she had to trust that he would do so.

"Shall we go for a shower? There are lovely showers here."

Again she agreed and though still uncertain as to what was being suggested she soon realised that she was being offered the chance to wash and dry herself.
She slid from the bed and took his hand, realising after a few tentative steps that her ankle did indeed feel much improved and her head was certainly clear.
Again the place he led her too was unfamiliar and it seemed that water pumped unaided from a metallic head. Such abundance in water was unheard of and the fact that it was heated indeed a luxury!

"Do you want me to help you, or shall we wash separately?"

Instinctively she pulled the ‘towel’ protectively in front of her, even though she was still fully dressed.

”I can bathe on my own … thank you … “

She told him firmly blushing at his offer. It was enough that he would be close by.

”I … can manage … “

She assured him eager to be left in privacy.

Only when she was sure that he had moved away and that she was indeed left in privacy did Keisha shed the garments he had given her and the undergarments she had retained beneath. Folding them and stacking them in a far corner of the large cubicle she moved beneath the metallic head and turned the ‘taps’ to regulate the flow and temperature as he had showed her. Likewise there was liquid to help her cleanse herself. Following his directions she rubbed it over her body finding it slippery and soothing. Despite her initial anxieties she lingered beneath the water indulging in the water’s warmth and washing her hair twice until she found it almost squeaked as the long tresses ran though her hands. Reluctantly she finally halted the water and stepped away to take the towel and wind it around her. Only then did she stand uncertainly. The garments he had given her were muddy, the garments she had worn no longer fit for wear. It seemed there was little else to be done but hold onto the fabric wrapped around her.

”Daniel…?”

She found herself calling tentatively wondering if she should return to the bed or if he had something else that she should be doing before that.
 
Dan let the hot water wash over him, as he showered quickly in a cubicle a little way away from Keesha, just so she didn't feel crowded or her privacy invaded.

After a while, he towelled dry and dressed, and sat in the changing area, with a bag of new clothes for her.

He should have told her he had more things, but he had forgotten, in his haste to get her into the showers, where he was sure, she would enjoy the new experience.

As he sat there, waiting for her, he heard her call out.

He walked over to the cubicle and said:
"It's alright, Keesha, I'm here. Are you alright?"

A small voice replied "Yes, but I have nothing to wear."

"Don't worry – I have some clothes for you here, in a bag I'll leave just outside your shower. Let me go so you can dress in private. I will be just outside if you need me."

Dan placed the bag down, as promised and retreated back into the main dressing area.

Whilst part of him was tempted to find a vantage point and watch her, the Officer and a Gentleman part of him overruled that, and argued that he would have to live with himself afterwards, and what if she saw him?
Everything would be ruined, and he would have betrayed her trust for a quick glimpse of tits and ass, which he could get from the Internet later if he was that desperate!

He heard the shower door opening and the rustle of the bag, then realised to his horror that he had guessed at the sizes, but she might not know what a bra was. He had guessed she would be a 34B, but he might be way off the mark.
The white cotton panties he had chosen were sensible, rather than sexy, but he wanted her to be comfortable.
He had also put a pair of slip on shoes and some white cotton socks in the bag, with a full length nightdress, of thick cream cotton, thinking she would prefer something demure rather than brief.
He had another bag with clothes in for tomorrow, including another pair of white cotton panties (from a multipack, he prided himself, for thinking practically) a pair of blue jeans, a white cotton peasant blouse, slip on shoes and some more white cotton socks.

'Oh well', he thought. Might as well wait until she appears, and see how she managed.

He made a mental note to ask her more about herself, what her culture was like, and so on.
 

"Don't worry – I have some clothes for you here, in a bag I'll leave just outside your shower. Let me go so you can dress in private. I will be just outside if you need me."


She was reassured that he wasn’t far away and pleased that he had brought clothes for her. She opened the shower door and found the bag he had left for her and opened it to find out what clothes he had chosen for her. She looked through the items finding them strange and so different from garments she was used to, but then she had seen the people around her in the hospital and found their choice of clothing strange. She was pleased to at least be out of the rough feeling uniform Daniel had dressed her in from the first.

She worked out what the panties were, although they were unbelievably brief compared to her usual undergarments. The short stockings were obviously made for her feet and the long nightdress was perhaps the most familiar type of clothing that he had provided her. She slipped on the footwear and stowed the one remaining item back in the bag. She could guess where it fitted, but even if she could work out the fastenings, it was not something to wear overnight.

She carefully picked up the discarded clothing and with the damp towel draped around her neck her long hair lose about her shoulders she carried the almost empty bag and left the shower stall beginning to make her way back to the room and the bed from which she’d come.
 
When Keesha came back from the shower and climbed into the waiting bed, she found Dan lying on top of his bed, dressed in track bottoms and a T Shirt.

He looked up as she walked in and said:
"Hello! I see you found the clothes I left you, OK."
Keesha nodded and smiled as she walked towards her bed.
Dan was happy that he had been almost correct in his guessing her sizes. At least nothing looked like it was trying to cut her in half, or that she was wearing a big pair of 'granny pants'.

Dan added "We'll get up for Breakfast, and leave when we are ready. I'll need to speak to the orderly before we leave to sign us out. Then we have a trip to Edward's Estate, and a couple of weeks to relax and explore, and just enjoy ourselves. Won't that be nice?"

He waited for her response before saying:
"Goodnight Keesha. Sleep well. We have a big day tomorrow."

Dan rolled over and was asleep in minutes.
The night passed quickly and he rose as usual when able, just before 7am.
Keesha still seemed to be resting so he gathered his wash kit and went to the shower room, to wash and prepare for the day ahead.

He had a quick shower, and then stood before the mirror, with a towel around his waist, while he shaved, humming a little tune as he did so.
He felt happier than he had in quite some time. The coming days held in prospect some marvellous experiences for Keesha and he was pleased to be the one to share them with her.

He dressed and walked back to their room and saw she seemed to be sleeping, so he quickly went across to the Cafeteria and gathered some rolls, butter and jams, as well as a couple of cups of coffee and bottles of orange juice, before putting it all on a tray and carrying it back to their room.

He was studying the route to Edward's Estate on his smartphone when Keesha stirred from her slumber.
 
"We'll get up for Breakfast, and leave when we are ready. I'll need to speak to the orderly before we leave to sign us out. Then we have a trip to Edward's Estate, and a couple of weeks to relax and explore, and just enjoy ourselves. Won't that be nice?"

It was obvious even to her that he was going to great trouble to make sure that she could take time away and that he intended to help her make decisions about her future.

"That sounds perfect..."

She told him with a soft smile.

"You've been so kind ... I don't know what I'd have done ... "

Whatever happened, she was sure that she was beyond the reach of Lord Kairnford, or if not that he had no power over her in this land...

And so with that peace of mind she slept long and deep...

"Morning ... "

She murmured as she finally eased upwards, his presence by her bed helping her to adjust more quickly to her surroundings as she stretched and looked around.

"Heaven's you're dressed!"

She exclaimed in realisation.

"... you should have woken me ... "

She remembered that they had much to do before leaving on their journey.
 
Dan had taken the decision to let Keesha sleep in.
After all, it wasn't like they were rushing to catch a flight somewhere!

He had busied himself packing their stuff together ready for the trip ahead. It would be easier if they didn't borrow a vehicle from the base (less paperwork, but more laborious in terms of buying tickets on public transport).

All she had to do was get ready to leave. Everything else was ready to go, packed into a duffel bag and a large suitcase. She had said there was plenty to do, but Dan didn't think he had forgotten anything.

It would be better if she rested now, to better enjoy the sights later as they travelled to Edward's Estate, and the waiting Cottage.
Dan had planned the least stressful way to travel was to get a taxi from the Base to the local Bus Station, then a bus to Northallerton, and another local bus towards Leeming Bar, near to an Air Force Base. He could have chosen to ride the bus all the way to Leeming Bar, but the chances if someone asked after a couple answering their descriptions was too much of a risk to take. Once at the entrance to Moreton Grange, he would have access to the Land Rover, and they could come and go as they pleased.

Dan was also pleased he had bought some clothes for Keesha, so her immediate requirements would all be met. The solitude and tranqility of the Estate should help Keesha to recover enough that she can remember where she is from. This place of Kairnford, in the Land of Haskil, is certainly one unknown to Dan, Google, Yahoo, or any of the other search engines.
The only references to Haskil, mentioned a Romanian musican, who apparently was a jewish woman, and had been persecuted in the Second World War."

Seeing that Keesha was now fully awake, he smiled at her apology of sleeping in.
"Don't worry, Keesha – you needed rest. Don't forget you are still recovering from your injuries too."

He motioned for her to sit at the table where the tray of breakfast awaited.
"Help yourself, hopefully you will satisfy your hunger with some of this."
Dan walked over to the table, and sat, pouring himself a cup of coffee and pouring in milk and sugar, as Keesha joined him.

He sat, sipping his coffee, and regarded her over the top of the mug.

"Keesha – I have to ask you. Where is Haskil? What countries border it? It is not a country I have heard of, and I consider myself well-travelled."

He paused before adding:

"Also – before we go - is there anything else you need to do?"
 
"Don't worry, Keesha – you needed rest. Don't forget you are still recovering from your injuries too."

She smiled reassured and moved to the table where he had set out food and drink for her.

"You've been so kind."

She told him as they sat companionably together.

"You have no idea how grateful I am ... you most likely saved my life..."

She told him with no hint of exaggeration.

"Keesha – I have to ask you. Where is Haskil? What countries border it?
It is not a country I have heard of, and I consider myself well-travelled.
Also – before we go - is there anything else you need to do?"


She wasn't sure how to answer his first question and so she chose the more practical one instead.

"I only need to wash and prepare. As you know I carried nothing with me when I left, so ... "

She shrugged and considered how to answer his query about her home country.

"I'm not sure how to describe here my land is to be found,"

She told him tentatively.

"Our cartographers seem to focus upon mapping the features of the land and of course the boundaries of the state manors, Kairnford being one of the richest... The North of our country is much more populated and borders with Cortasia, but the alliance is strong there so the nobility prosper. The South were I came from is much given over to farming and produce. Kairnford is the principal Manor. Lord Kainford is the eyes and ears of the King in the south of our country ... he was not what I wished for in a husband."

She shuddered at the thought of her narrow escape.

"The rest of our country is surrounded by sea. I escaped by boat, but it drifted further south than I intended. Once ashore, well, I just ran. So ... my country must be to the North of here and across the sea to the west...?"

She calculated.
 
Dan smiled at her as she said "You've been so kind." Followed by "You have no idea how grateful I am ... you most likely saved my life..."

He nodded and replied "Yes, well my Father always taught me to aid a lady in distress."
When she said she nodded to wash & prepare, he gave her time to do so, packing the rest of their things away and calling Alan the Orderly to let him know they were leaving and the room could be 'reclaimed'.

After a while, when Keesha prepared to leave and Dan contemplated the information she had given him aout where Haskil was, he was no closer to an answer to where she had come from. From her directions, it would seem to somewhere in Scandinavia, but her accent was all wrong, even if her English was pretty good, although archaic!

They left together with Dan carrying a few bags and walked a half mile to the bus top, and waited, as a steady breeze awoke and carried small items of detritus along the empty road.
After an hour, a bus appeared, and Dan flagged it down.

Dan waited for the bus to stop and boarded, making sure Keesha was right behind him, before asking for a couple of tickets to Leeming.

He paid the driver and waited for Keesha, wide-eyed, to follow him further down the aisle of the bus to a couple of empty seats. As he ushered her into the window-seat and sat next to her, he could feel her apprehension. Wherever this place was, she came from, it must be so different from here!

He dumped their bags in the couple of seats in front of them, and sat back into the lightly padded seat.

From her description, it would seem to be somewhere North & West of the UK. What was strange was that she didn’t speak English with a Scandinavian or Canadian accent, so he was mystified as to her origins.

As he watched her gazing out of the window, at the passing scenery, his thoughts drifted back to a previous conversation and the gnawing fact that she seemed to be almost from another world, like Narnia, in The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe.
Maybe there weren’t monsters there, but - well, she had described this Lord Kairnford, and he seemed a bit of a despot, from Dan’s mental image of him.

After about half an hour, with a few stops to allow other passengers on and off the bus, with everyone pretty much keeping themselves to themselves, as people do nowadays, they arrived at the stop, where you could see Moreton Grange from the road-side.

He had pre-warned Keesha they would be getting off soon, and she seemed relieved they had arrived, Grabbing their bags he stood and led her off the bus, thanking the driver, and then as the bus drove off, he stood and hefting the weight of the bags, started to walk the few hundred yards up the road to the gates.

They walked in relative silence, with only the screeching of a solitary hawk overhead for company,
As they neared Moreton Grange, Dan was struck once again, how imposing the property must appear to outsiders.
With a cottage just inside the gates, and the large manor house a hundred yards or so away, the Estate must have looked grand to those who worked there in years gone by. Their accommodation was even further inside, to the far side of the manor house, nestled in the shadows of the forest a quarter of a mile away, or so.

Dan pulled the old-fashioned bell pull, attached to the gate and he could dimly hear a bell clanging away.
After a few moments a door in the nearby cottage opened and a gruff moors voice could be heard:
“This better be good, to disturb me in the middle of the cricket and with Yorkshire winning too!”After a few moments more, footsteps sounded in the gravel leading to the gate and the same voice asked:
“Hello- Can I help you?”
Dan smiled as he replied:
“Hello Jack, old man - it’s Dan, Edward’s school friend. He told you I was coming, I hope?!”
“Old man? You cheeky bugger!”
Suddenly the gate was thrown open and a tall stout man, with a broad face with ruddy cheeks, appeared with a huge grin on his face.
The Warden / Estate Manager offered his hand to Dan.
“Good to see you again, Dan.” After a pause he noticed Keesha standing there.
“Hello, Miss. I am Jack, the Warden of this Estate, at your service!"
He gave a low bow, as he took her small smooth hand into his large and calloused one, and gave it a gentle squeeze.
 
He had provided her with another change of clothes. She was unused to wearing anything but a skirt or a dress, but she had realised that in this country it was usual for girls to wear what she would have regarded as male apparel. She had worked out the underwear including the strange contraption which was designed to contain her breasts. She had thought not to bother with it at first, but given the sheerness of the over garment and the lack of any other chemise, she felt that she had to wear it beneath.

There was nothing strange about the start of their journey, they set off on foot, Dan carrying the baggage and seemingly unfazed by any weight within. After around an hour they halted awaiting transportation. She knew that there were no horses available, nor any form of horse drawn transport. She was only partly prepared for the sight of the approaching vehicle Dan referred to as the bus. After the previous day’s experiences flying through the air, she was perhaps less nervous getting on as she might have been, but what amazed her was that there were other people already seated within all seemingly going on their own journeys, but evidently not known to Dan, which to her seemed strange.

The bus itself was comfortable enough, and warm. She was amazed that glass was used to separate them from the elements outside. In her country this would have been the mode of transport for the rich, but she had already noticed that there seemed to be an abundance of glass and that it was used extensively. Much of the journey was rural and not so much different from her own country, but when they rode through villages there was much that was unfamiliar to her; buildings, vehicles, clothing upon those who she observed in passing. And the differences did not stop there; there was a decided lack of horses, even in the fields she noted there were ‘motorised’ vehicles, but then again the scale of the farms seemed vast compared to what she was used to seeing…

Strangely, the bus would stop every now and then and people would leave. So much was carried out in silence that she wondered how the driver knew where he should be driving and how the people knew when they would reach their destination. Dan telling her that they would be getting off the bus soon did nothing to answer her questions. Upon his prompt she stood and made her way unsteadily down to the exit and stepped out into the fresh air looking around her to note that her surroundings were not much different from sights she was familiar with.

She followed Dan as he walked along and stopped at a pair of hefty gates. She became increasingly aware that they were heading for an impressive property, surely that of the local Lord, if not the residence of the ‘over-Lord’ of similar influence as the Lord of Kairnford. She could not help but be nervous as they approached the cottage at which she assumed they would gain access to the estate. Dan had said nothing by way of explanation and seemed strangely quiet. She moved behind him as he pulled the bell, the blustering words of the inhabitant adding to her nervousness.

“Hello Jack, old man - it’s Dan, Edward’s school friend. He told you I was coming, I hope?!”

Dan she noted was far from intimidated.

“Old man? You cheeky bugger!”

She blushed at the language the stranger used, but was surprised by the friendly expression on his face as he greeted Dan and then turned his attention to her.

“Hello, Miss. I am Jack, the Warden of this Estate, at your service!"

If she had been in her skirts, she would have curtsied politely in response to his bow, but instead she nodded a response, blushing as his large hand squeezed hers, holding it for slightly longer than she thought necessary. Her hand finally released, she was content to witness the good humoured banter between the two men and to ease into the background behind Dan as she endeavoured not to draw attention to herself …
 
Jack wasted no time ushering them both through the gate and onto the Estate proper.
He was beaming widely across his cheerful, ruddy face, glad to have some other company for a few minutes.

Dan took the opportunity to introduce Keesha properlygesturing to her, he said simply: "Jack, this is Keesha - she will be my guest for a while."
Jack smiled even wider if at all possible, and nodded.
"You're welcome here, for as long as you'd like, Miss Keesha. Master Edward wished to welcome you himself, but is away in London, I'm afraid. I'm sure he would welcome your company for dinner when he returns."

Jack turned back to Dan & said:
"I'm guessing you'll be anxious to get up to the Cottage, Dan. Master Edward said I was to give you the keys for the Land Rover. Don't worry about me, I have my quad bike!"

He gestured off to one side of his own Cottage and there, partly under a tarpaulin, was a quad bike, as he described it. It looked a fully capable and powerful machine, so Dan didn't feel guilty about using the Land Rover.
He'd need it, as the Cottage was still five hundred yards from the gates, and in a secluded area, away from prying eyes. This, of course, suited Dan perfectly.

He was also becoming used to the concept that for Keesha, everything was potentially a new experience, as she had not been exposed to so many of modern life's situations, gadgets & language, especially slang.
He tried to bear this in mind, but as (his) lifestyle was second nature to him, he found it hard to remember to explain every new situation he faced with her.

Jack then reached into his pocket and offered Dan the fore-mentioned keys, to both Land Rover & Cottage.
"When you're ready, Dan, perhaps you and the Lady would care to join me for a cup of tea and some home-baked fruit cake? You know I'd love the company and to catch up with how you're doing?"

Dan nodded and smiled.

"Ahhhh, Jack. Your cakes – how could I forget?"
Dan turned to Keesha and said:
"This man bakes the best fruit cake outside Dundee. If we get the chance we'll come back and visit him, OK?"
Without waiting for an answer, Dan turned back to Jack and shook his hand warmly again, before picking up their bags and walking over to the waiting 4x4.
Loading them into the back of the Land Rover, was easy for him. He grinned at Jack, genuinely pleased to be here, before opening the passenger door and gesturing to Keesha to climb aboard. He climbed in on his own side, and started the car up. The engine fired up first time, as the car had been well maintained.
The short drive up the hill and around the gravel driveway onto the forecourt of the Cottage needed no introduction, as the property was a haven of calm amidst the hustle & bustle of local life.

Dan pulled up smoothly across from the front door of the Cottage and switched the engine off.
He climbed out and swiftly unlocked the front door of the Cottage. He turned back to see Keesha trying to work out how to get out, with a mild look of unease upon her face
Dan then opened his Driver's door again and demonstrated how to open the door, from the inside.
Keesha mimicked this action and as her door popped open, she seemed very pleased with herself!

Dan then went to the back and retrieved their bags, before locking the car and walking into the Cottage.
He placed the bags on the floor, in the small hallway and ventured into the living room, with Keesha in tow.
Two Wingbacked leather armchairs sat about six feet away, but facing, a small log fire, which was unlit at present, and a large sheepskin rug sat in front of it, on top of smooth polished English Oak flooring. A leather sofa sat against a far wall, and faced a large screen TV mounted on the opposite wall.

A limed oak coffee table sat between the armchairs, and a copy of an old edition of 'The Times' rested upon it, its corners beginning to yellow.
Despite obviously being rarely used, the Cottage, and its generously sized living room, didn't smell musty or damp. The faint scent of woodsmoke hung in the air, but it gave the scene a pleasant ambience rather than cheapening the whole experience.

Dan had walked over to the mantelpiece over the fire and leant casually against it, taking in Keesha's reaction to her new surroundings…
 
"Jack, this is Keesha - she will be my guest for a while."

Dan insisted in drawing her forward and she found herself blushing as the man smiled broadly at her, but she could not help but feel that his words were genuine.

"You're welcome here, for as long as you'd like, Miss Keesha”

She was concerned as he continued however.

”Master Edward wished to welcome you himself, but is away in London, I'm afraid. I'm sure he would welcome your company for dinner when he returns."

Though she knew the customs of Dan’s country were different to hers, it was clear to her that this ‘Master’, though a friend of Dan’s was the Lord of this place and as such perhaps someone to be wary of?

Keesha didn’t understand their talk of bikes and Rovers, so remained silent as arrangements were made for it seemed that this was not the place that they were to stay at.

"This man bakes the best fruit cake outside Dundee. If we get the chance we'll come back and visit him, OK?"

Dan was speaking to her again. She nodded at his prompt, but found the idea of a man making food a strange one. She had no time to comment before Dan had picked up their bags and heading out again to yet another form of transportation, into which he guided her before moving round to sit beside her. The sound and the sensation of it’s movement was unexpected, but after flying above the ground and the ‘bus’ that morning, she found she was beginning to simply accept that this was the way things were here.

Very soon they stopped at another building. She was grateful for the silence and looked curiously at the building they had arrived outside. It seemed sizeable, but clearly not the home of a Lord she noted in relief. After working out how to even get out of the vehicle, Keesha climbed out and looked around as Dan again set to work with the bags. The place was bigger than it had seemed at first sight, a fact confirmed as she walked inside with Dan and headed into the room with him.

She smiled as she looked around. Out of all the places she had been this seemed the most similar to the places of her own land, even though there were still many items which she was unfamiliar with. The scent of woodsmoke was definitely reminiscent of home and for the first time she felt a pang of homesickness and not a little concern for those she had left behind.

”I like this place.”

She told him simply as their eyes met.

”We are going to stay here alone?”

She asked, suddenly aware that they were both together out of sight of other people and in such a secluded place, though given his kindness, she could not doubt Dan’s motives other than those of hiding her away as she had requested.

”I doubt Lord Kairnford would consider me a suitable bride after this,”

She commented, quirking a smile amused rather than dismayed that her reputation would be shot should anyone back home hear of her living unchaperoned with a single man, but then again, she had lost everything when she had chosen to run.

”Are there many rooms?”

She queried, genuinely curious and following him eagerly as they moved through the cottage as he called it to a bathroom that was partly familiar given her experiences of flowing water the day before and then onto the kitchen which brought a smile to her face as she moved through it finding much of its layout with its range and wooden topped surfaces. The only other room on that floor was a library, a room that felt less used and somewhat dusty. Upstairs there were 4 bedrooms, the one to be hers had what Dan referred to as an ensuite, but what she recognised as having the now familiar toilet and shower. Dan’s room was similar and located opposite hers. There were two further rooms which, like the library had not been aired and seemed to have been unoccupied.

”No one lives here usually?”

She asked.

”Such a shame. It might be worth getting married to be mistress of a house like this,”

She quipped.

"You are not married are you?"

She asked suddenly.
She had assumed not, but ... late though it was, she decided should ask.

"Betrothed...?"

She prompted further?

" ... It will not ... damage your reputation unduly being ... well ... with me like this?"

She asked blushing hotly as she remembered how openly he had informed Jack and his friend Edward that they were staying alone together. What would they think of him and what of her?

"Your country is less concerned with such things?"

She concluded.
 
Dan was relieved when Keesha said:
”I like this place.” He looked over, and as their eyes met, she added:
”We are going to stay here alone?”

Dan couldn’t believe he had not thought of it sooner. With Keesha’s apparently guarded culture, it must be inappropriate for an unmarried woman to spend time in a man’s company without a chaperone, much like it would have been in Victorian or Edwardian Britain.
“Yes, Keesha, we shall be quite safe here. Lord Kairnford holds no sway here, I assure you.”

Dan followed Keesha as she went from room to room, exploring, and getting to know the layout of the Cottage.
Her wonder at the construction and apparent luxury was slightly amusing to him, but then, he caught himself and reminded himself that she came from a place where the basics were all they had. There didn't seem to be any running water, only that from a well, from comments she had made. Even basic sanitation was probably advanced for her people.

Dan had asked where she came from and her answer led him to believe it was 'over the sea', somewhere in the region of Greenland, or Iceland if her description of the place was close to what he knew.
If that were so, she wasn't dressed for a cold climate when they first met, so he doubted that was the case.
As he played this over in his head, Keesha had concluded her tour of the Cottage and was stood in front of him, asking firstly if anyone lived here usually, then if he was married?

He noticed she was blushing, perhaps in her culture that was overly forward?
Was she making a move on him?

He was taken aback to start with, but then realised that she was seeking reassurance they were not trespassing or doing anything inappropriate in his culture.

He replied:
"No, Keesha this is usually empty. To answer your other question, no, I am not married. I have no woman in my life. As a soldier, it is a luxury I cannot afford. Besides the patience of a good woman to love and to love me is a rare gift indeed."

He paused, choosing his words carefully before adding:
"No-one knows we are here, but if they did, I would not care for my reputation, only to see that you are kept safe and well. It is my duty and privelege as an Officer and a Gentleman."
He then felt his cheeks start to redden, as he realised his outburst may have had capacity to shock her. Now it was his turn to blush.
He gestured to the Kitchen, and quickly took the kettle and half-filled it with water, which he then put on to boil. He had a sudden need for a cup of tea.

As he sat at the Kitchen table, he pushed the other seat away from the table, with his foot, and asked her to sit with him.

Dan changed tack, wanting to take the attention away from his embarrassment.
"Keesha – I do not know how we will get you home. All I can promise you is that I will do everything I can to keep you safe. I know you have told me where you come from – but I have not heard of these places, and I wonder how you came to be here, in my country. Did anyone near you when you fled use magic?"

The kettle clicked off, as steam issued forth from the spout.
He rose from the table and taking two tea bags, and dropping them into two ceramic mugs, poured two cups of tea.

He then started looking through cupboards for (hopefully) some chocolate Digestive biscuits, his favourites, which he knew Edward knew he liked…..as he awaited her reply.
 
“Yes, Keesha, we shall be quite safe here. Lord Kairnford holds no sway here, I assure you.”

She smiled as Dan reassured her. She had nothing to fear from the man she had been forced to enter into an engagement with, but she couldn't help but worry about the unseen man who was her host and whom it seemed she was to meet upon his return. He must truly be rich as the place they were staying, she was told, usually went uninhabited.


"To answer your other question, no, I am not married. I have no woman in my life. "

She found that curious, but he continued.

"As a soldier, it is a luxury I cannot afford. Besides the patience of a good woman to love and to love me is a rare gift indeed."

She nodded, blushing. She was unused to hear a man talk of love. In her experience all marriage talk had been of alliance and dowry. It seemed strange that a man should hold ... romantic notions ...

"No-one knows we are here, but if they did, I would not care for my reputation, only to see that you are kept safe and well. It is my duty and privelege as an Officer and a Gentleman."

She blushed with him. It did seem as if being together would indeed impact upon his reputation. And that was something she regretted, despite his selfish vow that it was a privilege for him to see her safe.

She watched him busy himself in the kitchen.

"Keesha – I do not know how we will get you home. All I can promise you is that I will do everything I can to keep you safe."

She took the seat he offered her and tried to explain.

"You have beyond kind to me. I would not want to ruin your chances of finding .... love, however ... It is ... not something men of my acquaintance aspire to ... my betrothal was ... political ... but I ... I found I could not wed such a man ... "

She shivered visibly.

" ... much as I would love to, I can never return. I know he would not now accept me as bride and from such a man I could expect nothing but ... harsh treatment. As it is, I fear what he may have done by way of retribution to those of my family."

She felt tears prick her eyes and blinked them back.

"But ... my freedom is what they wanted ... and this was the only way I could escape my fate."

She took the cup he set before her and sipped tentatively recognising the drink as something she had had in the place she had been brought after the helicopter. It was pleasant and strangely comforting.

"I know you have told me where you come from – but I have not heard of these places, and I wonder how you came to be here, in my country. Did anyone near you when you fled use magic?"

Her eyes flew open at his question, she paled, then flushed guiltily.

" ... magic is outlawed, you must know that ... "

She commented defensively.

Keesha couldn't believe that the very reason she had agreed to that hateful marriage, protection for herself and her kin against accusations of practicing witch craft, even though no harm had ever come to any one of their acquaintance.
Yet perhaps in this land of impossibilities, magic was common place, if so, that would explain a lot.

" ... it is outlawed in my country that is ... but what of yours? Is magic the cause of the war you fight? Do you fight on the side of magic or in opposition?"

The questions tumbled from her in her need to know just what side Dan fought for before she decided just how much to tell him ...
 
Dan was relieved Keesha was accepting the likelihood she may not go home again. He had been wondering how to explain it her, and how to cope with the fallout from that discovery. However, she seeemed to have taken it quite calmly.

Dan inwardly slapped his forehead with his hand. He had put her on edge mentioning magic, when he had hoped she would accept his question as mere curiosity.

"We do not have magic here. Well, only in children's tales to help their parents control their behaviour in terms of going to sleep at night and beahving well." He explained.

"Although I am a soldier, we are lucky at the moment we do not fight any enemy. We were training together, to make ready for war, if our Queen's Government demands it, or another nation makes war against us. We stand ready to defend our lands, our people. I took a sacred oath, and swore my life forfeit to my Queen, if necessary."

"There is no magic here, although to your eyes it may seem so.
We have many machines, and they do many tasks for us every day, but there is no magic here."

He paused, then tried to change the subject.
It was then Dan's turn to sip from his tea cup.

"Keesha," Dan started awkwardly.
"I am.....unaccustomed to the company of a beautiful woman, but I must confess I find you to be wonderful company. I feel I can talk to you about many things. You do not judge me. I feel at ease in your company.
I....errr....I have to admit, I find you attractive. Err....Forgive me if I seem overly forward. I am not sure how men in your culture ask a woman to err....umm..."

He reached across the table and lightly rested his hand upon hers. It was all he could think of to do.

He did not want to upset her or drive her away, but he had realised when he spoke of love and saw that expression upon her face. He wanted her - more now than before. She just seemed so.....right. It was the only word he could think of that summed up how he felt.

He wanted to kiss her, but felt he should wait. It would all be too much for her.

He patted her hand, and stood.
"Excuse me." He said simply, before striding across to the easy chairs and settling in one, looking out of the window across to the Forest beyond.
 
"We do not have magic here. Well, only in children's tales to help their parents control their behaviour in terms of going to sleep at night and behaving well."

It seemed strange to her to have magic used in that way.

"Although I am a soldier, we are lucky at the moment we do not fight any enemy. We were training together, to make ready for war, if our Queen's Government demands it, or another nation makes war against us. We stand ready to defend our lands, our people. I took a sacred oath, and swore my life forfeit to my Queen, if necessary."

She gave a sigh of relief.

"Then you are at peace currently?"

She clarified, noting not for the first time that the monarch was a Queen, again something she was unfamiliar with in her country.

"There is no magic here, although to your eyes it may seem so.
We have many machines, and they do many tasks for us every day, but there is no magic here."


She hesitated wondering if she should tell him that magic did in fact exist in her land, for if not why outlaw something that was not in existence in the first place?

"Keesha, I am.....unaccustomed to the company of a beautiful woman, but I must confess I find you to be wonderful company. I feel I can talk to you about many things. You do not judge me. I feel at ease in your company."

She smiled shyly at his compliment. Of course as a soldier, he must spend much time amongst men.

"I....errr....I have to admit, I find you attractive. Err....Forgive me if I seem overly forward. I am not sure how men in your culture ask a woman to err....umm..."

She blushed at his confession. Her eyes flew to his wondering what it was that he wanted to ask her. The touch of his hand on hers caused her to lower her eyes shyly, her pulses racing..

"Excuse me."

The touch was brief and after a further soft touch he stood and moved away from her to settle in a chair facing the window effectively shutting her out and confusing her further.

After some moments, she stood and followed him, moving to stand before him between his chair and the window.

"What was it you wished to ask me?"

She challenged.

"If you wish to know of my ... fiancé ..."

She blushed forcing herself to continue.

"We were only together chaperoned once, when he made me his offer of marriage."

She shuddered at the memory of how she had been forced to acceptance. His response, the way he had grabbed her and kissed her, his hands had moved upon her body as she had struggled in fright. He had told her that as his bride, she would submit to her husbands wishes, all and any of them. And then he had released her and she had not seen him again.

" ... it was enough to know that as his wife, I would not be treated kindly at his hands..."

She summarised without offering further detail.

" ... in my land, a woman who walks out upon her bride groom is considered ... "

She bit her lip trying to find how to explain.

" ... to be of ... questionable virtue ... "

She blushed deeply.

"Whatever your ... feelings .. an honourable man such as you would not seek to enter into a marriage with such a woman ... yet apart from that one ... experience ... with my husband-to-be, I have truly never been alone with any man ... before now ..."

She had no idea how Dan's culture regarded women such as her. She could only guess that he had thought better of his earlier words due to her 'circumstances'.
 
Dan was surprised at the tone of Keesha's voice when she asked him "Are you at peace?" It had never occurred to him that her people may have known almost perpetual war; As the norm.

"Yes, we are at peace, for now." He replied.

After his fumblings with how to express his feelings and his attempt to distance himself, by sitting at the window, he wasn't really surprised that keesha had followed him, wanting to know what was on his mind.
He had to mentally adjust to her cultural background, and the fact that she wouldn't think the same way as he did.
Her values seemed to parallel those of Victorian British society.

When she spoke of being chaperoned to the meeting with her 'fiance', and realising that she would not be treated well at his hand, Dan felt a pang of sadness, and a flash of anger that a man could treat a woman so.

Her mention of him being an honourable man, emboldened him.
Dan gathered his courage and turned to face her, taking one of her delicate hands in his, gently.

"Keesha." He began, "What I wanted to ask you was, errr …..is…..well, I wanted to ask you to be more than just a friend. I understand in your culture, that men and women behave differently than they do here, in my world. I really do find you attractive, and understand that you might think of yourself as undesirable because you abandoned your bridegroom."

He paused, both for breath and to marshal his thoughts.
"You did not choose that man as your husband, but although we have only known each other for a short time, I feel a connection to you. You cannot go home, so I would ask you to stay, with me, of your own free will."

He suddenly realised that his offer may have sounded like a proposal of marriage, and as his cheeks flushed hot, he added:
"I am not asking you to marry me, but to live with me as my companion, where I can protect you, care for you, and keep you safe from harm, in return you would keep house for me....and, I hope, care for me too."
He thought of the fact that she had admitted she had never been alone with a man before, so this situation might be uncomfortable for her.

On an impulse, he leant forward and lightly kissed her hand, and looked up at her, wanting her to say 'Yes', but expecting her to say 'No'.
He didn’t even know why he expected that, but because their cultures were so different in their expectations and accepted conduct, he just expected her to say 'No'.
 
Last edited:
He took her hand in his and seemed to have decided to finish the question he had attempted to ask before.

"Keesha... What I wanted to ask you was, errr …..is…..well, I wanted to ask you to be more than just a friend. I understand in your culture, that men and women behave differently than they do here, in my world. I really do find you attractive, and understand that you might think of yourself as undesirable because you abandoned your bridegroom ... You did not choose that man as your husband, but although we have only known each other for a short time, I feel a connection to you. You cannot go home, so I would ask you to stay, with me, of your own free will."

She couldn't believe that he was proposing to her, after so short an acquaintance. He was nice and kind and handsome of course, but it was a big step, even given her circumstances.

"I am not asking you to marry me, but to live with me as my companion, where I can protect you, care for you, and keep you safe from harm, in return you would keep house for me.."

She was shocked at the true intentions of his words. She could not think it right to live as a housekeeper to a single man such as he. And surely if he found her attractive there might be other expectations he had in return for living under his roof.

She pulled her hand out of his as he attempted to kiss it and shook her head trying to mask how his suggestion had hurt her.

"I know I may be, how did you put it? ... undesireable ... but I did not run away from Lord Kairnford to enter into such an ... arrangement ... "

Her cheeks flamed at what she believed he was suggesting.

"You have been kind and offered me shelter, protection even, but if I'd thought for one minute what the price of that would be ... "

She backed away from him now.

"... I cannot be your mistress ... after all I told you, how could you ask that?"

Her eyes pricked with tears at what he had suggested. The term 'companion' might have been tactful, but how else could she possibly interpret the fact that he had asked her to remain with him.

"Even after all this ... I did hold out hope that somehow, I would marry some day ... I'm sure your offer is a generous one, but ... I cannot accept and after this ... I cannot remain here now... "

She told him sadly. It was too late to set out now, but somehow she had to leave the next day.
 
“Oh Keesha!” Dan exclaimed, frustrated as much with himself as with her misunderstanding of his intent.
The last thing he wanted to do was dishonour her!

He found her beauty bewitching, but how to make her understand that in this world, people lived together all the time, with no stigma attached? He wondered.

“ I don’t want you as my Mistress – well, we have a status here, which we call ‘Girlfriend’. It is not like your world here. Men & women who are not married live together all the time! It is universally accepted. There is no shame to being a Girlfriend here. In fact, many women are revered for being a girlfriend!”

Dan looks for some hint of acceptance in her eyes, but he can see she is deeply hurt.

However, he is completely stumped as to how to remedy the situation.

He walks over and switches on the TV. He needs to occupy himself with something else.

A soap opera is showing, and the two characters on screen, a male and female are sat on a Park bench, just talking, about life in general. It is a summer scene, and the woman is wearing a short summer dress, and low-heeled sandals. The man is wearing a t shirt and a pair of shorts, with trainers.

Dan doesn’t normally watch soaps, but he needs something to help him think, and he is unaware that Keesha has been eyeing up the sofa opposite to look at this new wonder, a box which shows people speaking!

'Doesn’t she know I would treat her like a princess?' He thinks.
I don’t want to hurt her, but I want her to stay with me….
 
“Oh Keesha!”

Dan's exclamation communicated his frustration and perhaps made Keesha consider more than his words that she could well have misunderstood his words.

“ I don’t want you as my Mistress – well, we have a status here, which we call ‘Girlfriend’."

He explained patiently enough, but somehow she felt that despite his words he was acting as if SHE had offended HIM.

"It is not like your world here. Men & women who are not married live together all the time! It is universally accepted. There is no shame to being a Girlfriend here. In fact, many women are revered for being a girlfriend!”

She knew he had no reason to lie, in fact his words explained why there had been little reaction to Dan's arrangements for them to stay here alone together.
Even so ... she had thought that he was making an offer for her, but that it seemed was far from his mind.

She made no comment. She did not know what to say.
She watched as he crossed the room and headed towards the chairs, miraculously bringing a box-like object to life. Despite herself she drew closer watching the pictures and the sound which showed people talking in scenes very different to what she had seen before.

She moved to the sofa, sure not to sit near to Dan and thinking it best not to enter into discussion once more. The images she saw did indeed show scandalously clad women and men in strange attire, at times equally revealing. She watched them interact, their language free and easy, the whole interaction seeming so ... casual ... and unfettered by the rules of propriety which she was used to...

"This is girl friend?"

She asked finally, her eyes widening as the couple moved closer and then kissed.

"This does not mean marriage in your country?"

She asked, curiosity overcoming her wariness.

"I have never kissed a man."

She told Dan shaking her head. She marvelled that traditions could be so different here.

"Perhaps ... I misunderstood ... "

She began with a hot blush.

"Things are so different here ... and ... I am ... inexperienced in my country so in yours ... "

She averted her eyes not quite knowing how to explain herself.

"I was to be a wife and now I am ... I know not how I would be considered in my country ... and now I find myself here ... and ... your traditions are so different it seems ... and being alone with you ... "

She blushed.

"I ... do not know what you ... expect ... of me ... or what you think of me, my ... circumstances ... "

She finally raised her eyes to his.

"It is difficult to understand, much less accept away of being that is so different to how I've been raised all my life ... "

She sighed.

"If I had married, I would be settled now and my future and that of those I love would have been secure, but as it is ... "

She sighed heavily.

"Perhaps I should have gone through with it ... done what was expected of me ... "
 
Dan watched Keesha's reactions to the revelations (to her) that life has different values here, and that she shouldn't be shocked by things that she sees and hears when with him.

When she sat on the sofa, and watched the soap opera on the TV, with a quizzical look on her face (after all, Dan accepted this was all new to her), before querying "Is this girlfriend?"
Her eyes wide, as she watched the couple on-screen kiss.

"Yes, Keesha, This is what a girlfriend does, if she wants. If she has feelings for the man with her." Dan replied, matter-of-factly.

"This does not mean marriage in your country?"
Dan could see that curiosity was winning out over her natural sense of caution and restraint. He measures his words before explaining:

"No, Keesha. Not always. If a man has fond feelings for the woman he is with, and the woman feels the same way, it is accepted they can kiss, and also do other things, if they both wish."

"I have never kissed a man."
Dan saw her shaking her head. She seemed to be trying to adjust to the huge differences between her world and here.
Her next statement of "Perhaps ... I misunderstood ... " strengthening that impression still further.

Dan saw her cheeks flush, with what he assumed was embarrassment.

"Things are so different here ... and ... I am ... inexperienced in my country so in yours ... "
Dan really felt for her. He tried to imagine how he would feel if their roles were reversed. He guessed he would be as disorientated as she seemed to be.

"Of course you are inexperienced, Keesha, but you have me here to care for you and to answer any questions you may have."
Dan replied, with what he hoped was a kind and gentle voice. Gone was the earlier frustration. She seemed to be trying to adjust to the here and now.

Her heartfelt admission of feeling out-of-sorts and alone tugged at his heart strings.

When she said:
"I ... do not know what you ... expect ... of me ... or what you think of me, my ... circumstances ... "
She raised her eyes to his. Dan could see the determination return behind her eyes. She seemed to be gaining in confidence, if not a sense of comfort, He hoped he could help her feel more comfortable as well.

"As to what I expect of you, and how I think of your circumstances, it is not for me to ask you to love me, as I do not feel we have known each other long enough, but also, love must be given freely, it cannot be asked for by another, without just cause. I hope you will accept my admission that I find you attractive, and as a gentleman, I consider it my duty to look after you, at least until you decide what you want to do with your life here in this world."

"It is difficult to understand, much less accept away of being that is so different to how I've been raised all my life ... "
Dan sympathised with her, as sometimes this world seemed confusing, even to him

As she sighed, Dan reached over and gently held her hand, willing her to feel his support for her.

"If I had married, I would be settled now and my future and that of those I love would have been secure, but as it is ... "
She sighed heavily.

"Perhaps I should have gone through with it ... done what was expected of me ... "


Dan countered with:
"But had you done that, Keesha, you would have foresworn all you stood for, and probably still not secured the safety of your family. From what you have told me about this Lord Kairnford, he was a nasty piece of work, a really unsavoury character."

After a short pause he added – "I for one, am glad you are here, and safe from his clutches. I could not bear to think of you hurt by or because of that man."

He patted her hand gently, before letting go, aware that he did not want to seem possessive. After all, she had met him, by fleeing from one possessive man. He didn't want her to feel she had gone from the frying pan to the fire!

He searched her face for some emotion, or sign that she wasn't going to leave him. He didn't want to drive her away.

"Keesha – please don't leave. I couldn't cope not knowing if you were safe or not. Since you came into my life, things have been different for me. That is all I ask of you. Please let me look after you.
I don't expect you to love me, or to do anything you don't want to do, but if I am going to support you, I need your help."


Dan suddenly felt very vulnerable, having laid his feelings on the line, and went over to the sideboard, where he remembered Edward had stocked a mini-bar.
He opened it and saw a part-full bottle of single malt scotch.
He grabbed a cut-crystal tumbler, and poured a measure of the fiery liquid into it, placing the bottle back, with the top off.
He took a long sip, savouring the burn, as it trickled down his throat, feeling a little better for it.

He then looked over at her, and offered her his glass.
"Do you want to try this? It's good, but strong."

Feeling emboldened by the whisky, he asked her:
"I don't want to take advantage of you, Keesha, but you say you have never kissed a man. Do you want to try?"
 
Back
Top