If you reference Star Trek / Wars with your social or political commentary...

The social implications of ST and SW are actually interesting. ST is Enlightenment. SW is Romanticism. ST is set in a high-tech utopian future where all the most basic problems of life has been solved, everyone in the Federation lives in peace, and reason rules all. In SW, the high-tech empire is the enemy, and the heroes are wizards and ape-men.

Fuck SW! Up Team Enlightenment! Down Team Romanticism!
 
And if you understand a reference to The Shadows, you're a fricking genius.
 
And if you understand a reference to The Shadows, you're a fricking genius.

There is nothing conceptually wrong with fandom of those or similar series. Hell, I'm a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fan.

But I don't casually mention Twilight Sparkle when making points about politics.

(Although, for the record, Sean Spicer did.) :D
 
The social implications of ST and SW are actually interesting. ST is Enlightenment. SW is Romanticism. ST is set in a high-tech utopian future where all the most basic problems of life has been solved, everyone in the Federation lives in peace, and reason rules all. In SW, the high-tech empire is the enemy, and the heroes are wizards and ape-men.

Fuck SW! Up Team Enlightenment! Down Team Romanticism!
Meesa say that's poodoo.
 
A Borg reference is hardly a sign of anything other than knowing who the Borg are which is pretty much everybody.
I see leaders compared to Palpatine, Vader, Borg, Snoke. Probably even Ren and Hux altho that may be for incompetent leadership. But then I think Hux was doing ok in the first one then they turned him into an inept pussy in the second for some reason. Dude was outsmarting a near-Sith in Force Awakens then he's suddenly falling for prank phone calls. WTF? And I liked Last Jedi.
I forgot what I was saying.
 
Also the reason you don't go kamikazi-ing ships at light speed into the Empire ships (sorry, First Order :rolleyes:) is because you don't have all that many ships in the first place plus you'd lose a droid to pilot it(someone explain why 3po couldn't have flown it instead of Laura Dern) and your cause is already on the ropes and has a razor thin budget. Ships and droids are expensive.
So that's why it was a one and done thing. Good move, poor execution, awesome shot that I think will ultimately land as one of the great scenes in the series.

Also that quick shot of the Falcon jumping out of light speed just long enough to drop Rey off and then back into light speed was great. Touches of brilliance in an otherwise just ok entry.

And fuck Canto Bight. What a stupid fucking side quest. Stupid casino and stupid space horses and stupid hacker who can do something that supposedly only the real hacker could do and just happens to be in the same cell at the same time and for no reason whatsoever waited for other people to come along before escaping and then didn't even close the sewer grate after they went tru to stymie the chase for a few minutes.
Stupid space amateurs.
 
The Borg on the other hand...yeah. I skipped around TNG episodes a lot while watching the series on Netflix or Hulu or whatever it was on just to find the Borg episodes cuz they were the best ones. Those and the ones with Q.
There are still many episodes I've never seen because TNG really never did it for me in the first place and some of the characters and story arcs annoyed me to no end.
Man do I hate that psychic bitch. And fuck that little kid. Why the fuck was he ever let on the bridge of a Federation ship? Shoulda been kicked off and forgotten about for such a severe violation of protocol. But what did they do? Sent his punk ass to the academy. That's some Kirk-in-the-new-movies level of bullshit.
 
Back
Top