what makes a poem good?

Well yes, it is based on me. The hair and the eyes and the glasses, for sure. And I can't count how many guys over the years have said I'm a dom type. I always thought of myself more as bossy lol. eagleyez caught it right away. :devil:

Now grab your ankles and let me spank the bejesus out of you, you bad, bad poet. :eek:

Mmm...is that something for all us naughty poets? In which case, where's the line start? hehehe ;)

:cool:

Sure! Everyone gets a spanking plus the Fool has to write a sestina. That's how I roll. :D

She aint just whistlin dixie. I oughta know. Last time I got spanked was when I thought a sestina was a nap taken after a big lunch.:nana:

If your intent was to demonstrate that you can do no more than vomit up an epithet, as opposed to using language to actually say something meaningful, you got it just right.

Actually, I think I might have nailed it pretty good there.

My very best vomit in recent memory.

(Which is to say, I support my use of the word 'cunt'. I think it's especially funny as I used it. And given my usual blather here the last few years - maybe the most 'sound' comment I've made in quite some time. Check the contect again and it might be especially funny to you also - given recent headlines.)

Far more than 90% of the time - I'm not worth concerning yourself about (not to mention impossible to understand). But that other 10%... might be meaningful.

Especially so.

I don't. How would I?

How would anyone?

We don't.

Nonsense.

Good poems satisfy two conditions: The good poem complies with its intended form, and it expresses its intended idea or sentiment or thought better than any other combination of words can.

Good poetry, now there is a rare thing. Exacting use of language, extracting a visceral emotion and a fundamental sense of reality.

Good poems satisfy two conditions: The good poem complies with its intended form, and it expresses its intended idea or sentiment or thought better than any other combination of words can.

Two very nice, useful definitions. Thank you both.

I judge a poem by the effect it has on the reader. If I can write something that gets a reader, you, for example, to suspend your disbelief for a moment and be where the words take you, then I did a good job. If you're reading and seeing mistakes (typos or poor use of grammar, cliched word choice, etc.), then i did not do a good job.

However it is important to remember that every reader is different. We can try to write as clearly or succinctly or whatever-ly as possible, but every reader understands in a different way. So ultimately what is right and good in any given poem is subjective.

Writing poems that have rules (limericks, sonnets, and so on) is a good practice tool. One of the best imho cause it makes you think carefully, line by line, sometimes word by word. And it's just like practicing piano: you do it every day and you will get better. If you write many form poems though you will eventually realize that you can get all the rules right and still have a blah poem (consider greeting card verse, for example).

Free verse, that is to say poetry that you make up yourself, is not without rules. It's just that in free verse you have the choice of deciding what your rules are. Some people seem to think that "free" word means you can be sloppy and not check your writing to make it better. That may mean freedom for the writer but never for the reader of such poems.

I don't. How would I?

How would anyone?

We don't.

so . . . bearing in mind my opening post which asks this:
tell me.

for you, as an individual, how do you KNOW if a poem is good or not?
how are you able to make decisions about anything in your life? are you unable to determine anything as being 'good', to you? do you not taste and feel and experience and find pleasure or pain or excitement or grief? sure you do, and you come to decide what makes something 'good' for yourself by your own reactions to it.

apply this to poetry, and use your reader-head first to gauge your reactions. IF something appeals to you, and IF you then look in greater detail, it's not impossible to discern why a certain metaphor/allusion/phrase/image has that given effect, and how it's been deliberately, strategically woven into a poem.

your post is disingenuous at best; at worst - a demand for attention.

P.S you've posted your opinions of the film Forrest Gump - you are perfectly able to make a judgement call about what you consider 'good' - or even 'great' when referencing that film.

Last edited:
What makes a dish of beans a treat
is it spice or salt or meat
or rather how all meld together
to accomplish a simple feat

I judge a poem by the effect it has on the reader.

This is off topic but what about the effect of your avatar on the reader and what happened to your old avatar, it was a turn on.

I never realised I had a correction fetish. :eek:

This is off topic but what about the effect of your avatar on the reader and what happened to your old avatar, it was a turn on.

I never realised I had a correction fetish. :eek:

I rather like this one but I always bring Laura Nyro back eventually, so be of good cheer. :D

so . . . bearing in mind my opening post which asks this:

how are you able to make decisions about anything in your life? are you unable to determine anything as being 'good', to you? do you not taste and feel and experience and find pleasure or pain or excitement or grief? sure you do, and you come to decide what makes something 'good' for yourself by your own reactions to it.

apply this to poetry, and use your reader-head first to gauge your reactions. IF something appeals to you, and IF you then look in greater detail, it's not impossible to discern why a certain metaphor/allusion/phrase/image has that given effect, and how it's been deliberately, strategically woven into a poem.

your post is disingenuous at best; at worst - a demand for attention.

P.S you've posted your opinions of the film Forrest Gump - you you are perfectly able to make a judgement call about what you consider 'good' - or even 'great' when referencing that film.

We must speak by the card or be undone by a clown's equivocation.

I'll try and say something meaningful Angeline, though you might think otherwise. Is your avatar really a picture of you? Because I'm fancying it.:D

And I'm imagining it angry in a strict teacher mode. Grrrrrrrr sexy hot stuff.:devil:

Geez how could I have missed this post of yours? Would you like to go stand in the corner?

Back on topic, what makes a good poem? This is a difficult one because one needs criteria and context to make an objective judgement and since any art form is subjective, there are none or at least what we are left with are conventions and when something becomes a convention, it is a cliche. Sooooo sometimes so called bad poetry serves a good purpose, by breaking conventions, destroying old habits and beliefs and renewing the art form. There really is good bad poetry, though there is bad bad poetry too but often I prefer bad poetry to good, polite and 'proper' poetry simply because by accident or design, it can impart new directions or can itself be so mindless it is entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Back on topic, what makes a good poem? This is a difficult one because one needs criteria and context to make an objective judgement and since any art form is subjective, there are none or at least what we are left with are conventions and when something becomes a convention, it is a cliche. Sooooo sometimes so called bad poetry serves a good purpose, by breaking conventions, destroying old habits and beliefs and renewing the art form. There really is good bad poetry, though there is bad bad poetry too but often I prefer bad poetry to good, polite and 'proper' poetry simply because by accident or design, it can impart new directions or can itself be so mindless it is entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
*waves*

just wanted to point out i wasn't looking for an objective judgement, but a specifically subjective one :cool:

Back