National Emergency Declaration It Is...

adrina

Heretic
"The massive amount of aliens who unlawfully enter the United States each day is a direct threat to the safety and security of our nation and constitutes a national emergency," a draft of a presidential proclamation reads.

"Now, therefore, I, Donald J. Trump, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C 1601, et seq.), hereby declare that a national emergency exists at the southern border of the United States," the draft adds.

According to options being considered, the administration could pull: $681 million from Treasury forfeiture funds, $3.6 billion in military construction, $3 billion in Pentagon civil works funds, and $200 million in Department of Homeland Security funds, the official said.

As lawmakers discussed a short-term measure to fund the government Thursday, Trump again raised the prospect of other ways to fund a border wall without congressional approval. I have other alternatives if I have to and I'll use those alternatives if I have to," he told reporters.

linky

Only 36 percent of voters say they support Trump’s re-allocating money to pay for the border wall through a national emergency, while 51 percent oppose such a declaration. Twice as many voters strongly oppose a national emergency, 41 percent, as strongly support it, 20 percent. And, as with much of the fight that has resulted in a government shutdown lasting more than three weeks, Trump has the support of the vast majority of Republican voters, 72 percent, but very few voters outside his political base.

source

The only good thing about it is if it re-opens the government. The rest is... bullshit.

I can't imagine his poll numbers if he declared the emergency and didn't allow the government to re-open. There would be a lot of very angry and worried people.

You scared me! :eek: I haven't been looking at news sources this evening, and I first thought you were saying that Cheetolini went ahead and actually did it, rather than have the statement prepped in case he chose to use it.

But to me it sounds like he's just made his staff scramble around for yet another wackadoodle contingency plan becuse he has no sense of vision or strategy.

If he were to actually make the Wall a national emergency issue, I will do a very unOblimic like thing. I think he's too much of an indecisive chickenshit.

But to me it sounds like he's just made his staff scramble around for yet another wackadoodle contingency plan becuse he has no sense of vision or strategy.

Everyone on his staff says he is averse to planning and prefers to wing it.

Everyone on his staff says he is averse to planning and prefers to wing it.

He certainly didn't plan out his responses to questions asked after the bills to end the shutdown got shotdown. My God.. it was like watching hisderpy, botanydummy or coach explain something. Brutal.

He's reduced our government to a bargaining chip... the government that countless people have served and many died to protect.

Sad.

Who else but a Trumpster would think that The Republican Wall of Bigotry, along all, or nearly all, the US-Mexican border could be built for $7 billion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico–United_States_border

(my bold)
The exact cost of the newly proposed wall is not clear yet many experts on the issue predicted that maintenance alone would make a border wall cost prohibitive. There are differing opinions and cost estimates of building the wall. The Trump administration has estimated the cost of the wall at $12 billion, but the Department of Homeland Security estimated the cost at $21.6 billion. According to one report, the proposed wall would cost up to $70 billion[citation needed], a significant difference. There is also no decision made on the actual structure of the wall but according to the Department of Homeland Security, the wall would be between 18 and 30 ft (5.5 and 9.1 m) high and as deep as 6 ft (1.8 m) underground to deter drug traffickers from building tunnels.[76]

Part of me says, "Bring it on Trump, and all you stupid Trumpsters—the Mexican labourers could use the money to build a wall as impotent as the President is increasingly becoming!"

It wouldn't surprised me in the least if he did it. He's backed himself into a corner and has to do something. The house will not and the senate cannot - at least not as long as 45 continues this folly.

Why won't we do what the Border Patrol and Customs people actually want?

More personnel. More vehicle scanners. More drug sniffing dogs.

The problem is at the checkpoints. They are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of traffic passing through.

But no. Give them slogans.

He certainly didn't plan out his responses to questions asked after the bills to end the shutdown got shotdown. My God.. it was like watching hisderpy, botanydummy or coach explain something. Brutal.

He's reduced our government to a bargaining chip... the government that countless people have served and many died to protect.

Sad.

I teared right up at that!

By the way I don't know if I've ever thanked you for your service to this country watching British comedies.

I teared right up at that!

By the way I don't know if I've ever thanked you for your service to this country watching British comedies.

I don't need your thanks, queball. Just knowing that I have everything in life I want, and that you have nothing but a big fuckin mouth and no spine to use it anywhere but here.... well, that's thanks enough.

Why won't we do what the Border Patrol and Customs people actually want?

More personnel. More vehicle scanners. More drug sniffing dogs.

The problem is at the checkpoints. They are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of traffic passing through.

But no. Give them slogans.

How about "a human wall of personnel?"

The con artist can declare an emergency, but he has to cite the specific statutory authority. If he says anything remotely close to hordes of dark-skins wanting to work at his failing golf clubs flooding across the border, it is patently provable there are no such hordes.

Further, Congress (if Republicans had any backbone), can overrule a declaration of national emergency through joint resolution which the con artist signs. If the con artist disagrees, Congress can again shoot him down with a two-thirds majority vote in each house.

Again, if Republicans had any backbone, they would easily have the two-thirds vote in the Senate. But more than likely, and as usual, instead of acting as a check and balance on a corrupt president, they'll whine and snivel there's nothing they can do while the people doing the work they authorize continue to go unpaid.

It wouldn't surprised me in the least if he did it. He's backed himself into a corner and has to do something. The house will not and the senate cannot - at least not as long as 45 continues this folly.

If he does I am looking forward to 46 declaring Global Warming a National Emergency. Voter Suppression a National Emergency. Income Inequality a National Emergency.

Random comment: Trump keeps embarrassing himself with Pelosi because he's so desperate to put her in her place. He didn't have to have that meeting televised and he doesn't have to keep making his communications with her public. It all could be done behind the scenes. But he keeps thinking he's going to score a big coup against her and he wants everyone to see it. And then she goes and kicks him in the nuts in public. Again.

It is hilarious. He is being totally owned by Ann Coulter on one side and Pelosi on the other.

The con artist can declare an emergency,

they'll whine and snivel there's nothing they can do while the people doing the work they authorize continue to go unpaid.

So many impotent men in the GOP Caucuses.

Random comment: Trump keeps embarrassing himself with Pelosi because he's so desperate to put her in her place. He didn't have to have that meeting televised and he doesn't have to keep making his communications with her public. It all could be done behind the scenes. But he keeps thinking he's going to score a big coup against her and he wants everyone to see it. And then she goes and kicks him in the nuts in public. Again.

It is hilarious. He is being totally owned by Ann Coulter on one side and Pelosi on the other.

He can't get a smarmy nickname to stick to her and it galls him.

Well, we now have a national emergency in the form of airplanes along the East Coast being grounded due to lack of controller staff.

The con artist can declare an emergency, but he has to cite the specific statutory authority. If he says anything remotely close to hordes of dark-skins wanting to work at his failing golf clubs flooding across the border, it is patently provable there are no such hordes.
He can't use the drugs angle since his own administration says the vast majority of drugs come in through ports of entry.
Now, if he wanted to declare a national emergency about drugs and close all POE, then that might work.

Happy for my friend, he works for the govt and during these shutdowns was forced to use all vacation, now needs the money, he's happy to be going back monday.

Back